CLS Coupe (C219) Discuss the CLS Coupe.

Need to change front brake pads.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2009 | 10:26 PM

CLS500, Ferrari 512TR, Lamborghini Diablo
Need to change front brake pads.

Is there any trick to this? I was told by the dealer you do not resurface the front rotors. You just put new pads on. There was something mentioned about having to possibly do something to the computer? Is this true? What is it? Dealer wants to charge $269 for just brake pad change. Sounds pretty expensive for pad swaps.
Old 03-24-2009 | 06:39 AM

in your Mom's car
Originally Posted by silvergts1998
Is there any trick to this? I was told by the dealer you do not resurface the front rotors. You just put new pads on. There was something mentioned about having to possibly do something to the computer? Is this true? What is it? Dealer wants to charge $269 for just brake pad change. Sounds pretty expensive for pad swaps.
I paid 200 to get all 4 pads swapped and have new sensors put on them at one of the local shops here. If there is a smaller shop that works on imports then I would check them out. I only go to the dealer for warranty work now.
Old 03-24-2009 | 10:20 AM

CLS500, Ferrari 512TR, Lamborghini Diablo
Originally Posted by Inf4life
I paid 200 to get all 4 pads swapped and have new sensors put on them at one of the local shops here. If there is a smaller shop that works on imports then I would check them out. I only go to the dealer for warranty work now.
Any info if the brakes interacted with the computer?
Old 03-24-2009 | 12:07 PM
Out Of Control!!

'71 Pinto
There was something mentioned about having to possibly do something to the computer? Is this true? What is it?
Dealers and most independents are equipped to disable SBC with SDS. However, SBC can be disabled without SDS for pad replacement. Note though SBC must be disabled with SDS when working with operating or hydraulic unit. Rather than list steps here PM your email address and I will forward a WIS to reference.
Old 03-25-2009 | 08:06 AM

in your Mom's car
Any info if the brakes interacted with the computer?
Define "interacted".

They put my new Porterfields on and installed the new sensors and it was a done deal. I think 2 hours I was there.
Old 03-25-2009 | 01:15 PM

2007 CLS 550 and some other MBZ
Originally Posted by Inf4life
Define "interacted".

They put my new Porterfields on and installed the new sensors and it was a done deal. I think 2 hours I was there.
How do you like the Porterfields? Less dust? Any noise compare to stock?
Old 03-25-2009 | 06:10 PM

2006 CLS 500
Hello,

From my experience, when you change the brake pads, all you need to replace is the brake sensor. I swtiched to Akebono Euro Ceramic, very low dust and no sound. The brake pedal is less sharp than the factory though. But overall, I think its a fair trade.
Old 03-25-2009 | 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by CSUFL
Hello,

From my experience, when you change the brake pads, all you need to replace is the brake sensor. I swtiched to Akebono Euro Ceramic, very low dust and no sound. The brake pedal is less sharp than the factory though. But overall, I think its a fair trade.
When you said less sharp, you meant the stopping power is not as good as stock?
Old 03-25-2009 | 08:29 PM

in your Mom's car
Hello,

I would say this is my same exact review of the Porterfields. The less dust and sound is well worth the trade.
Old 03-27-2009 | 02:00 PM

2006 CLS 500
Less sharp from the pedal meaning u have to hit the brake harder to feel the stopping power. But I believe this is appllies to most of the aftermaket brake pads with less dust & noise. You loose some of the braking power in order to trade the almost non-existing brake dust and noise. For example, with factory pads, 3 days will show the brake dust VS. aftermarkets 7-10 days.
Old 03-27-2009 | 04:01 PM

Less sharp from the pedal meaning u have to hit the brake harder to feel the stopping power. But I believe this is appllies to most of the aftermaket brake pads with less dust & noise. You loose some of the braking power in order to trade the almost non-existing brake dust and noise. For example, with factory pads, 3 days will show the brake dust VS. aftermarkets 7-10 days.
Thanks for the info.