CLS Coupe (C219) Discuss the CLS Coupe.

2010 cls 550 - 2k miles & brakes squeak!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 09:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 cls 550
2010 cls 550 - 2k miles & brakes squeak!

Car has 2000 miles and brakes squeak like crazy! Bought car in for service and they said squeaky brakes on cls 550 is common and that the only thing to do is 'deglaze' the brakes daily by going 60 mph and stopping short several times. Surely there has to be a better solution for a $75k car. Also, the rims get filthy black from brake dust within a few days of cleaning. Losing my mind! Does anyone have suggestions? Are there different brake types that will eliminate the squeak and excessive dust?
Old 07-13-2010, 09:07 AM

2006 CLS500, 21" Interad Turismo Wheels, Renntech Lowering Module
Originally Posted by Textex
Car has 2000 miles and brakes squeak like crazy! Bought car in for service and they said squeaky brakes on cls 550 is common and that the only thing to do is 'deglaze' the brakes daily by going 60 mph and stopping short several times. Surely there has to be a better solution for a $75k car. Also, the rims get filthy black from brake dust within a few days of cleaning. Losing my mind! Does anyone have suggestions? Are there different brake types that will eliminate the squeak and excessive dust?
This is common, my brakes squeak also. Brake dust is also common in most german cars for whatever reason.

Maybe some others can chime in and offer some suggetions to alternate brake pads that dont squeak or burn off excessive brake dust.

Otherwise your car is fine, thats just how it is.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:17 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
Brakes, wheel alignment, and “road force” tire/wheel balancing are covered under warranty for first 12 months/12000 miles whichever comes first. For squeal, you may want to consider having the dealer revisit if found to be pads and/or rotors you are entitled to free replacement.
Old 07-14-2010, 12:09 PM

Merc CLS500 & BMW X3
Dealer should take care of this with only 2K miles !!!! Raise some hell !!!
Old 07-14-2010, 02:45 PM
cda

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2019 AMG CLS53
I have been down this road before - my brakes squealed within the first month of purchase. Brought it to the dealer several times, and they found nothing wrong with the brakes, so nothing was done. My first CLS had the same issue, but took longer to start brake sqeak. I foolishly thought the problem would be remedied for 09...no more MB for me.
Old 07-16-2010, 01:24 AM

2009 CLS 550
I had the same problem on my '09. Had the dealer replace the front pads due to glazing and resurfaced my rears. 10k miles since and no squeaking. The dealer will have to verify the squeal with you. Take them for a test drive and keep going to they squeal.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 CLS550, 2001 C240
brakes

Same problem... Dealer said it comes from the driver, I brake too slow or too hard.. bull****. So, for sure they would not work on them unless is less than 1300 miles.
But, I just changed pads, I put ceramic Akebono and I just realized I should have done this in day 0. Zero dust! Amazing.. and they only cost me 70$ front 50$ back.. U can do the work yourself. It will save you time or money to wash the wheels
Old 08-11-2010, 04:31 PM

CLS500
You can change the pads yourself? I through i read on the forum you need to hook up to the starmark to reset the pad sensors?
Old 08-12-2010, 12:43 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2007 CLS550
I have the same squealing problem on my 07 CLS550. It didn't start until 20,000 miles. I replaced the pads early and it stopped for awhile and then returned. I've read a lot of threads on this subject on this forum. It's definitely a common problem. I think the only real fix is to use different pads. A lot of people are using ceramic (most prevalent) or semi-metallic pads. The Akebono (ceramic version of this seems to be most popular), Centric Posi-Quiet and Porterfields have all gotten excellent reviews. No squeaking and very little dust. And everyone seems to say they stop the car just as well. I really think they have to stop just as well or they wouldn't be able to sell any. It would be too much of a safety liability to the manufacturers.

Now for you with a new car...The dealer definitely will only install Mercedes factory pads. And I doubt you want to shell out several hundred dollars to replace the pads. I believe the dealer should fix them, whatever it takes. You will have to make a big stink to get him to do anything. But there are some things they can do. But it's almost a sure thing that even if they fix them, the squeak will return. Oh, and I don't recommend changing pads yourself unless you are a very good mechanic. it's a complicated procedure with opportunities to mess up the car and injure yourself. Not saying it can't be done, there are procedures in this Forum, but plan it out very carefully.

I've also heard that hitting the brakes hard will cure the noise. But, really, that shouldn't be necessary.

Last edited by Art-by-Art; 08-12-2010 at 12:46 AM.
Old 11-09-2010, 01:02 AM

'08 AMG S63
MB has to cover any complaint if car is under 10k miles or 1 year old, whichever comes first, at cost to them, 100%. This is a "make things right" policy not all dealers follow though. I had mine here in Jersey replace $3900 in brake parts (calipers/pads,etc) on a '10 C63 I have, no questions asked. Also had 50% covered costs on my '08 w/ only 10K miles, but not everything. I am a loyal customer, it can be fixed, just be patient. Do not bring your cocky attitude just because you bought a $75K car, doesn't go good with the less fortunate who work at the dealers.