CLS Vs Toyota Prius

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 10:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS 2007 AMG Sports Package
Unhappy CLS Vs Toyota Prius

Dear MB Enthusiasts:

I am a proud owner of a '07 MB CLS with the AMG sports package, 18" wheels and all that. Words cannot describe it how much I love my car. Each second everyday that I drive it...and especially during those opportunities when I get to step on it. It is sheer bliss...needless to say all those "wow" looks from onlookers and other drivers only makes it all the more worth owning this car.

And my following question might not be really a question....it really might be me thinking out loud..but still I need to get views/ thoughts of other MB lovers who LOVE their CLSs or other MB cars, their hard earned driving pleasure possessions of joy.

My environmentally conscious side of me dies everyday that I drive my CLS....and I've been really considering giving up my CLS and buying a new Toyota Prius. There I said it!!!! But I have NO idea how unhappy I'm going to be after this decision. A part of me is going to be very liberated because I won't feel like a hypocrite anymore and would be driving a car which drives interstate on mere fumes of gas... but a part of me would die each day (or so it seems) when I'll go down from a 386 HP engine to a mere ~90 HP engine. Feeling like I traded a pure bred steed for an overworked donkey.

I don't know if I'm doing the right thing...but all things considered environmentally, financially it seems like a very responsible thing to do.

So what do you think? Do you think its a stupidest move that I'll regret all of my life? Or are there some of you out there too who cringe every time you see a prius and wonder how its YOU who's causing that ozone hole (haha jk). Would love to hear more views and thoughts on this very confusing dilemma at this cross roads of my life. And NO I cannot own both the cars. It sort of defeats the purpose of trying to be low carbon footprint, environmentally conscious.

Thank you for your time. Sorry if you think this is the weirdest dilemma you've come across.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 249 Likes on 158 Posts
2023 EQS 580
I think I just threw up in my mouth...

Seriously though. I would have more respect for you if you were considering a Blutec or BMWd, or some other hybrid thingy. But a CLS owner to a Prius?
Old 01-25-2011, 12:42 PM

CLS 550
The environment is out of our control, whether you buy a Prius or not. Recycle, plant trees, ride a bicycle when you can, and avoid using hairspray but for the love of all things holy don't give up one of the nicest cars made for a da** Prius.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:57 PM

CLS 550
Response from another MB enthusiast:

"Prius uses Nickel Hydride batteries, which are an environmental disaster, it's total energy usage from construction, shipping, driving and final disposal is greater than that of most SUVs and the Prius is only 80% recyclable (2010 and older Priuses were only 63% recycleable) where as most SUVs are 93+% recyclable.

Pious drivers may feel like Environmental Gods, but are actually huge polluters"
Old 01-25-2011, 01:12 PM
MG
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts
1998 E430; 2007 Porsche 911 C4S Cabriolet; 2011 Expedition EL Limited; 2014 E350 Estate
Subscribed. I smell a SPAM Troll.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)
What a retard...it has been long known that Hybrid batteries cause more pollution than a damn V10 let alone a V8. Bing it.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by bigben320e
What a retard...it has been long known that Hybrid batteries cause more pollution than a damn V10 let alone a V8. Bing it.

I understand and point well taken regarding the disgust of other CLS and MB enthusiasts at my suggestion to give it up for the Prius. Well I guess there are no tree hugging hippies on these forums whom I was thinking of getting the other side of the debate as well. Seems like most people outrightly abhor the idea proposed by me. I can understand that. Maybe a couple years back I might have thought similarly too.

But to go ahead and call me names?!?! That just goes to show your low level of brain development and your complete INABILITY to think out of the box or to listen to the other people's points of views with an open mind. All I asked was for viewpoints and suggestions not name calling like a 15 year old high school bully. As for you... are you just bitter cuz you could never wrap your head around the climate change debate or cuz you never were able to own a mercedes?

Either way....I don't care.

I just want to thank all the other people who've responded in a well mannered way. Guess my final inclination also depends upon after I test drive a Prius. Which has a fat chance of absolutely crushing my driver soul sadly. Lets see what tips the scales, driving pleasure or low gas mileage and environmental good.

The batteries sure are a good point that has been brought up.... guess that adds up to CLS:10,000, PRIUS:2.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:47 PM

2009 clk350 cabriolet
I went from an LR3 to a Honda Accord with the variable cylinder management (VCM) for exactly the same reasons you discuss. I know it's not a hybrid, but I nearly halved my fuel usage. This was in the summer of 2008. Before the LR3, I had a 328 convertible which I loved.

For two and a half years I have been miserable in the Honda with the VCM. It's a nice enough car (well maybe), but the body roll, tinny engine sounds and jerky cylinder changes have been driving me crazy...so much so that I recently bought a CLK350 Cab.

Don't do it to yourself. You'll be back if you do.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Beach
I went from an LR3 to a Honda Accord with the variable cylinder management (VCM) for exactly the same reasons you discuss. I know it's not a hybrid, but I nearly halved my fuel usage. This was in the summer of 2008. Before the LR3, I had a 328 convertible which I loved.

For two and a half years I have been miserable in the Honda with the VCM. It's a nice enough car (well maybe), but the body roll, tinny engine sounds and jerky cylinder changes have been driving me crazy...so much so that I recently bought a CLK350 Cab.

Don't do it to yourself. You'll be back if you do.
MANNNN!!! Thanks a lot for bothering to write a non-judgemental, non-demeaning sort of a genuine response/ advice. Feels nice to know that SOMEONE out there thought this thought of giving up one of their most cherished rides for the greater good. And you have stolen the words right out of my mouth. These quality issues and the snail pace engine issues and the tinny engine sound and the plastic dashboard is all eating me up thinking how i'll EVER COPE with that after my stitched leather interiors and the near 400 HP of engine awesomeness...and all.

And I don't want to be a victim to the same fate of going back into a MB showroom after a few years and buying a new model of the CLS 550.

Either way, I think I might just give the Prius a test drive for kicks....I'm not sure what "kicks" I am talking about. But what I'm saying is that I'll drive it just to see how much it disgusts me. And maybe after that my environmentally conscious driving side will die forever and I'll just need to focus my efforts much more towards recycling, planting trees and composting.

Thanks for the response.....
Old 01-25-2011, 08:32 PM

2009 clk350 cabriolet
Originally Posted by ParadoxCLS
MANNNN!!! Thanks a lot for bothering to write a non-judgemental, non-demeaning sort of a genuine response/ advice. Feels nice to know that SOMEONE out there thought this thought of giving up one of their most cherished rides for the greater good. And you have stolen the words right out of my mouth. These quality issues and the snail pace engine issues and the tinny engine sound and the plastic dashboard is all eating me up thinking how i'll EVER COPE with that after my stitched leather interiors and the near 400 HP of engine awesomeness...and all.

And I don't want to be a victim to the same fate of going back into a MB showroom after a few years and buying a new model of the CLS 550.

Either way, I think I might just give the Prius a test drive for kicks....I'm not sure what "kicks" I am talking about. But what I'm saying is that I'll drive it just to see how much it disgusts me. And maybe after that my environmentally conscious driving side will die forever and I'll just need to focus my efforts much more towards recycling, planting trees and composting.

Oh....and the stitched leather seats . Did I say how much I love my CLK? Don't let the "kicks" be the ones you're giving yourself to the backside.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:32 PM

2009 clk350 cabriolet
deleted...dupe.
Old 01-26-2011, 03:14 PM
MG
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts
1998 E430; 2007 Porsche 911 C4S Cabriolet; 2011 Expedition EL Limited; 2014 E350 Estate
And maybe after that my environmentally conscious driving side will die forever and I'll just need to focus my efforts much more towards recycling, planting trees and composting.

We've already stated that the Prius is one of the least environmentally conscious vehicles available. you seem to be ignoring that point.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
things with and without wheels
Originally Posted by MG
Subscribed. I smell a SPAM Troll.
+1
Old 01-27-2011, 09:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Today's automobiles and trucks are cleaner then they ever been, if you are a true auto entusiast, then this is a no brainer decision.

Here some food for thought.
http://www.infobarrel.com/Lawn_Mower...to_Change_That
Old 01-27-2011, 10:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)
I understand and point well taken regarding the disgust of other CLS and MB enthusiasts at my suggestion to give it up for the Prius. Well I guess there are no tree hugging hippies on these forums whom I was thinking of getting the other side of the debate as well. Seems like most people outrightly abhor the idea proposed by me. I can understand that. Maybe a couple years back I might have thought similarly too.

But to go ahead and call me names?!?! That just goes to show your low level of brain development and your complete INABILITY to think out of the box or to listen to the other people's points of views with an open mind. All I asked was for viewpoints and suggestions not name calling like a 15 year old high school bully. As for you... are you just bitter cuz you could never wrap your head around the climate change debate or cuz you never were able to own a mercedes?

Either way....I don't care.

I just want to thank all the other people who've responded in a well mannered way. Guess my final inclination also depends upon after I test drive a Prius. Which has a fat chance of absolutely crushing my driver soul sadly. Lets see what tips the scales, driving pleasure or low gas mileage and environmental good.

The batteries sure are a good point that has been brought up.... guess that adds up to CLS:10,000, PRIUS:2.
Dude...you are way off point. First off, I am thinking out of the box, and heard both sides of the debate. A big part of thinking outside of the box is to not listen to something and take it as gospel. Do research, get facts, and look back at the history of the Earth's climate patterns...hint. That is how I know that a lot of BS is getting thrown around in regards to the discussion.

Quite a few on this forum and beyond have their heads firmly wrapped around this issue, and a lot of it has been found to be bogus. Perhaps I should not have called you a name, but you should do some research into how much pollution is being caused by these so called "green" vehicles.

As far as being bitter on owning a Mercedes, you really must pay more attention. My sig lists three Mercedes I own, including a CLS.

Originally Posted by MG
We've already stated that the Prius is one of the least environmentally conscious vehicles available. you seem to be ignoring that point.
+1
Old 01-31-2011, 01:33 AM

CLS550 HRE 948R - CLK55 AMG Sold
well if u use all 90 hp on a regular basis the fuel economy wont be that great, around 20.
I think our 550 gets over 20mpg putting around town. the 7speed and airmatic is butter, best ride so far.

switched back to my modded 335i today, trans shifts hard, and suspension is really rough in comparison. I think its airmatic from here on out.
Old 02-02-2011, 12:26 PM

AMG Fever
Disclaimer: Please do what you can to protect the environment.

Now..

Most if not all Prius owners are driving Prius to save on gas especially when they drive the Prius (or any hybrid) on the left lane @ 10mph below speed limit not to trigger combustion engine while an army of cars is stuck behind them in 2nd or 3rd gear.

Having said that, I would never endanger my family in a car that small simply to save $700, $1000, $2000 or even $4000 a year in gas.

I included a link to an article in The Car Connection for your reading pleasure but here are some excerpts:

“The surprising result: Hybrid drivers typically drive farther, get more tickets, and have significantly more expensive insurance claims”

“San Francisco-based Quality Planning analyzed the driving habits of about 360,000 vehicle owners and found that hybrid owners drive up to 25 percent more than non-hybrid owners.”

“Quality Planning found that Toyota Prius drivers get 0.38 violations per 100,000 miles driven, compared to an average of 0.23.”

“Collision loss costs are also much higher for hybrids—with comprehensive coverage loss about 17 percent higher than average.”

So don't get caught up in the myth..

Article: http://www.thecarconnection.com/mart...accident-prone
Old 02-02-2011, 01:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2000 CL500 1992 300SE
What the OP needs to do is keep his CLS and try to find a nice W123 diesel or turbo diesel like the one in my avatar.

I run filtered WVO in my '83 TurboDiesel and it is awesome. 70/30 ratio, WVO to diesel fuel and there are no carbonising issues and the engine is soot free and runs fine.

Although the first few tanks I had to change the fuel filters, now I change them only every few months...$5...so no big deal....but the money I saved and knowing I have left a smaller carbon footprint is a very satisfying feeling.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I've driven a Toyota Prius, I was constantly distracted by the information display, showing you how much energy you are saving or consuming.
I guess that would support the data of Prius drivers being more likely to be involved in an accident.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
2002 CLK430
To the OP - OK, I’ll bite.

If you really want to 'save the environment', and you think a Prius is the answer, buy one.

But don’t sell your CLS. Logically speaking, that just moves the alleged pollution somewhere else. No, you should disassemble it and in an "environmentally conscious way", dispose of it. Yes, it’ll cost you the value of your CLS, but if you really think it’s the right thing to do, don’t let money influence you. Think of the environmental difference that will make.

You should also tell your employer to turn off all the lights, power down the printers and computers, and work outside in a field. Don’t use anything man made – just whatever is in the field. Everything man made causes some form of pollution. Also, the employees should be encouraged to walk to work. Public transportation causes pollution too. BTW, at your company, what do you guys make? Any pollution involved? You know, getting paid causes pollution. Funds transfers from your employers bank to yours . . . . . . that requires a computer of some sort. Computers use electricity and require factories to build. That’s GOT to be harmful to the environment. Maybe you should quit.

In fact, the PC that you’re using right now, turn it off. It’s the environment, and what can be more important?

If you're not a troll, we'll never hear from you again. If you do post again, well, maybe you only care a little about the environment, then again, maybe you're a troll. Not that I'm name calling, I'm just trying to think this through logically.
Old 02-08-2011, 04:07 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 CLS500 - Iridium Silver w/ AMG Sportline
Dear MB Enthusiasts:

I am a proud owner of a '07 MB CLS with the AMG sports package, 18" wheels and all that. Words cannot describe it how much I love my car. Each second everyday that I drive it...and especially during those opportunities when I get to step on it. It is sheer bliss...needless to say all those "wow" looks from onlookers and other drivers only makes it all the more worth owning this car.

And my following question might not be really a question....it really might be me thinking out loud..but still I need to get views/ thoughts of other MB lovers who LOVE their CLSs or other MB cars, their hard earned driving pleasure possessions of joy.

My environmentally conscious side of me dies everyday that I drive my CLS....and I've been really considering giving up my CLS and buying a new Toyota Prius. There I said it!!!! But I have NO idea how unhappy I'm going to be after this decision. A part of me is going to be very liberated because I won't feel like a hypocrite anymore and would be driving a car which drives interstate on mere fumes of gas... but a part of me would die each day (or so it seems) when I'll go down from a 386 HP engine to a mere ~90 HP engine. Feeling like I traded a pure bred steed for an overworked donkey.

I don't know if I'm doing the right thing...but all things considered environmentally, financially it seems like a very responsible thing to do.

So what do you think? Do you think its a stupidest move that I'll regret all of my life? Or are there some of you out there too who cringe every time you see a prius and wonder how its YOU who's causing that ozone hole (haha jk). Would love to hear more views and thoughts on this very confusing dilemma at this cross roads of my life. And NO I cannot own both the cars. It sort of defeats the purpose of trying to be low carbon footprint, environmentally conscious.

Thank you for your time. Sorry if you think this is the weirdest dilemma you've come across.
This comes to mind:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLkzz6r-yko
Old 02-08-2011, 10:59 PM

CLS55
remember this episode....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKTOyiKLARk