Need Opinions on 2006 CLS500

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 12:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E320
Need Opinions on 2006 CLS500

Hi everyone,

Considering purchasing a CPO 2006 CLS500 for my dad. MB listing says CAD$38,000 with 44,100km in the car. The options installed are below.

I've owned C, E, ML, and CL, but never a CLS before. Any issue with this particular year? Any thoughts as to the price? Any thoughts with the options installed (if there's any particular electrical issue with any options installed)?

Standard
AM/FM/Satellite-capable Radio, In-Dash Single CD, 9 Speakers, Digital Media Input, Rear Air Conditioning - With Separate Controls, Dual Zone Rear Air Conditioning, Dual Zone Air Conditioning, Curtain Airbags, Passenger Airbag Cut Off Switch, Passenger Airbag Cut Off, Child Safety Locks , Leather/Wood Center Console, Console Beverage Cooler, Leather Steering Wheel, Under Seat Storage, Speed Sensitive Power Steering, 3x 12V DC Power Outlet, Cargo Net, Remote Trunk Release - Powered, Cupholders - Front/Rear, Audio Controls on Steering Wheel, Multi-function Remote - Including Roof Operation, Tilt and Reach Adjustable Steering Wheel, Glass Sunroof, Power sunroof, Remote Sunroof Operation, 7-speed Gearbox, External Temperature Display, Daytime running lights, Remote operated exterior entry lights, Heated Windshield Washer Jets, Privacy glass - Light, Rain Sensing Wipers, Memory Seats - Driver/Passenger, Heated Mirrors, Auto-dimming Mirrors - Driver Only, Electrochromatic Rearview Mirror, Retractable Mirrors, Overall Length - 4 910mm, Overall Width - 1 872mm, Overall Height - 1 402mm, 8 Way Adjustable Seats, Height Adjustable Drivers Seat, Multi-level Heated Seats, Adjustable Lumbar Support, Rear Bucket Seats, Climated Controlled Front Seats, Bucket Front Seats, Rear-Wheel Drive, Premium Unleaded Power, Vehicle Emissions - ULEV, Horse Power - 302, Torque - 460, 8 Cylinders, Engine Size - 5.0l, Traction Control, Head Airbags, Side Airbags, Brake Assist (BAS), Seatbelt pretensioners - front and rear, Anti-theft Alarm System, Engine Immobilizer, Traction and Stability Control, Stability Control, Rear Air Suspension, Active Suspension, Front Air Suspension, Sport Suspension, Fuel Capacity - 80l, 18in Wheels, Tire Pressure Montioring System, Space Saving Spare Wheel

Options
Active Bi-Xenon Headlamps w/Washers, COMAND w/DVD Navigation, Climate Comfort Front Seats, Harmon/Kardon Sound System w/CD Changer, Keyless Go, Laurel Wood High-Gloss, Multi-Contour Front Seats, Remote Trunk Closure, Ski Sack w/Trunk Pass Through, Transmission: 7 Speed Electronic w/Touch Shift, Wheels: 8.5 x 18 Fr/9.5 x 18 Rr 5-Spoke Alloy

Thanks!
Old 02-26-2011, 08:59 PM

2012 CLS-550 / 2015 GLA-250
Mine's an 06 nearing 71,000 miles. I've had no electrical problems. I bought CPO also and extended the warranty for an additional 5 years from the time I bought the car in 08. There have been several regular service visits where the dealer did additional repairs at no charge since the car had the CPO warranty. Off the top I can remember both hydraulic engine mounts, an oil leak they found and a cup holder because of chipping chrome. The warranty is terrific and if you extend it until you expect to hit 100k, you won't need to worry about electrical or anything else for that matter.

Last edited by Kirkdob; 02-27-2011 at 11:31 PM.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:01 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
200E320,2006CLS500,20102015 S550 4 matic,Panamera,1991 porsche 964
100,000 Michigan car

2006 100,000.mile car driven in winter in michigan with 17" snows.The drivers side seat back is "gone".Otherwise with regular service doing well.Did replace all 2 batteries and some engine oil seals@90,000.Love it.I have a Panamera,and seats are better in CLS.IF ONLY it accelerated like the Panamera!!!.
Old 02-28-2011, 12:35 PM

2005 E320
Thanks, everyone, for your kind replies! What do you think of the price? Is it competitive?

As well, is it worth putting more money for a 2007 model?

Another thing, historically speaking, will the current CLS model drop significantly in terms of price when the new refreshed 2012 model is out later this year? I might wait..
Old 02-28-2011, 12:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)
06 CLS500, fully loaded, even distronic. No issues expect for a fresh air motor replaced around 35K, and the little battery failed diagnostics last week, but is still going. I am at 78K now, MB warranty until 100K.

The CLS500 is a nice model, but I would opt for CLS550 (07 is a fine choice as well) 08-10 if I was in the market right now. Reasons?

1. The SBC system, as technologically advanced as it is (warranty was extended to 10 years by MB) can possibly be a scary point of failure. If you do get an 06, stay on top of the brake flush, and inspections. I have not had any issues in that area.

2. The CLS550 has 82 (approx) more horsepower, a little more torque, and of course fully hydraulic brakes.

3. Price difference. Roughly that $38 CAD works out to $38,839, so by looking at some CLS550's come around that same price or less with the same options if not more. Take a look at some of them being sold on Ebay. 07 and 08's with not many miles on them, under warranty.

Yes, with the newer model coming out prices on prior model's will drop as usual. Waiting a little longer may prove to be a good idea as well.
Old 02-28-2011, 04:31 PM

2005 E320
Originally Posted by bigben320e
06 CLS500, fully loaded, even distronic. No issues expect for a fresh air motor replaced around 35K, and the little battery failed diagnostics last week, but is still going. I am at 78K now, MB warranty until 100K.

The CLS500 is a nice model, but I would opt for CLS550 (07 is a fine choice as well) 08-10 if I was in the market right now. Reasons?

1. The SBC system, as technologically advanced as it is (warranty was extended to 10 years by MB) can possibly be a scary point of failure. If you do get an 06, stay on top of the brake flush, and inspections. I have not had any issues in that area.

2. The CLS550 has 82 (approx) more horsepower, a little more torque, and of course fully hydraulic brakes.

3. Price difference. Roughly that $38 CAD works out to $38,839, so by looking at some CLS550's come around that same price or less with the same options if not more. Take a look at some of them being sold on Ebay. 07 and 08's with not many miles on them, under warranty.

Yes, with the newer model coming out prices on prior model's will drop as usual. Waiting a little longer may prove to be a good idea as well.
Thanks for the info, bigben!

Any idea how much the price will drop when the new CLS is out based on past knowledge? Also, the price is tag for a CPO directly from an MB dealership. I can get it cheaper of course on eBay and such websites like you recommended. Would you recommend buying from an unauthorized dealers or individuals, though?
Old 02-28-2011, 04:49 PM

89 300CE | 00 E430 Sport | 99 E320
Excellent thread. Looking at getting one myself. Any issues seen with 1st year (2006) models compared to later models?

Trending Topics

Old 02-28-2011, 05:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)
Originally Posted by JCFans
Thanks for the info, bigben!

Any idea how much the price will drop when the new CLS is out based on past knowledge? Also, the price is tag for a CPO directly from an MB dealership. I can get it cheaper of course on eBay and such websites like you recommended. Would you recommend buying from an unauthorized dealers or individuals, though?
Price drops can be anywhere from $5K to $20K. Real example, my buddy has a CLS55 which he bought for $72K with 12K miles on it. By the next 14 months later, that same model with around the same miles was selling for about $15K less. Not bad for waiting a year.

Now, this will be debated, but I think CPO's based on experience and others is over-rated for the price, but keep in mind not to rule that out. Look at the price. What I did (any many others) is bought a car from a non-MB dealer on Ebay (or others), get it inspected by an MB dealer, get the CarFax and CarCheck. Do ALL of this before buying the car, just my thought and advice.

If you want a warranty, do so. Some on here would never get an MB without a warranty, some say just let it ride and keep a fund set aside for expenses. I went with a MB EW 7YR/100K, no deductible.

Hope this helps!
Old 02-28-2011, 05:51 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 CLS500 - Iridium Silver w/ AMG Sportline
My understanding is that MB dealers must turn inventory every 60 days or send the car to auction. Not sure if this is true, but if so, it would seem like getting to a CLS if it's been sitting might be a ticket to wheel/deal on price, including CPO cars. Anyone know if this is incorrect?
Old 03-01-2011, 10:19 AM

+1.

This is exactly what I did. I got my car from the west coast but live in the midwest(Price was crazy cheap). I got the PPI done at the mercedes dealer and had the Service Advisor fax me the report directly so I wouldn't have to worry about the seller doing anything mischievous to the report. Plus since the car was at 39k mileage, it still had some left in the original warranty(3 year/60k miles and im sure there was option to extend that).

Originally Posted by bigben320e
Price drops can be anywhere from $5K to $20K. Real example, my buddy has a CLS55 which he bought for $72K with 12K miles on it. By the next 14 months later, that same model with around the same miles was selling for about $15K less. Not bad for waiting a year.

Now, this will be debated, but I think CPO's based on experience and others is over-rated for the price, but keep in mind not to rule that out. Look at the price. What I did (any many others) is bought a car from a non-MB dealer on Ebay (or others), get it inspected by an MB dealer, get the CarFax and CarCheck. Do ALL of this before buying the car, just my thought and advice.

If you want a warranty, do so. Some on here would never get an MB without a warranty, some say just let it ride and keep a fund set aside for expenses. I went with a MB EW 7YR/100K, no deductible.

Hope this helps!
Old 03-01-2011, 01:03 PM

2005 E320
Originally Posted by boschk
My understanding is that MB dealers must turn inventory every 60 days or send the car to auction. Not sure if this is true, but if so, it would seem like getting to a CLS if it's been sitting might be a ticket to wheel/deal on price, including CPO cars. Anyone know if this is incorrect?
I'm also interested to see if this is true. Any difference between US and Canada? This will provide some level-playing field with the negotiations.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:05 PM

2005 E320
Originally Posted by erifly
+1.

This is exactly what I did. I got my car from the west coast but live in the midwest(Price was crazy cheap). I got the PPI done at the mercedes dealer and had the Service Advisor fax me the report directly so I wouldn't have to worry about the seller doing anything mischievous to the report. Plus since the car was at 39k mileage, it still had some left in the original warranty(3 year/60k miles and im sure there was option to extend that).
Thanks, guys! Both of you for the perspective. My lease is coming to an end so unfortunately I have to get a new one soon. My dealer is even willing to absorb the last 3-4 lease payments. Is this weird behaviour?

Any experience with over mileage in leased cars? My car when I turn it in will have approximately close to 10,000km/6,000mi over.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by JCFans
I'm also interested to see if this is true. Any difference between US and Canada? This will provide some level-playing field with the negotiations.
Not sure if the 60 day rules applies to all dealers, but two dealers in GA some of the salesmen shared that nugget with me. When I went to the lot at Mannheim with a indy dealer I know, quite a few Benz's were on the lot with Mercedes Financial still slapped on the cars.

Old 03-04-2011, 03:51 PM

shoot, I have a very clean one with 44k miles on it now with extended warranty purchased straight from the Mercedes dealer that I am selling for $30,500 or have listed at least. If my car is worth 38k, then I guess I need to bump up my price.