CLS Coupe (C219) Discuss the CLS Coupe.

2006 CLS500 with only 8K mile!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 04:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 CLS500 with only 8K mile!

Afternoon! So finally I got this 2006 cls500 with 8k mile! please see my previous post for reference, locate at https://mbworld.org/forums/cls-coupe...ded-c-cls.html

I love this car so much, the mileagae is true, 8k! No odometer rollover since all record (carfax, autocheck, many different serice record) shows that the mileage is true.
Now I have some problem with it and I need your advice.
I want to know what serivce I should perform on it.e,g, I know MB requires transmission flush at 4 year or 39000mile, this car is a 6 year old car, but the tranmission shifts well due to the extreme low mileage, so I don't think the MB requirement is a good reference for this specific car.
Currently I want to do trans flush, oil and filter change, brake fluid change,this three will add up to about 1000 already! one thing not sure is about the sparkplus. MB says to change it every 5 year or 91000 miles. But obviously the mileage plays a more important role on sparkplus than age does.
The car drives well but I can feel that it is not very "smooth", maybe trans fluid?
Any advice?
Old 06-03-2012, 04:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts
CLS550 4Matic, C43, E350, ML350
Just go by mileage not date for electric stuff. For fluids it is always to change all of them after buying a car. I wouldn't do the transmission one though.
Old 06-03-2012, 05:43 PM

'09 CLS
Originally Posted by jj1400
Afternoon! So finally I got this 2006 cls500 with 8k mile! please see my previous post for reference, locate at https://mbworld.org/forums/cls-coupe...ded-c-cls.html

I love this car so much, the mileagae is true, 8k! No odometer rollover since all record (carfax, autocheck, many different serice record) shows that the mileage is true.
Now I have some problem with it and I need your advice.
I want to know what serivce I should perform on it.e,g, I know MB requires transmission flush at 4 year or 39000mile, this car is a 6 year old car, but the tranmission shifts well due to the extreme low mileage, so I don't think the MB requirement is a good reference for this specific car.
Currently I want to do trans flush, oil and filter change, brake fluid change,this three will add up to about 1000 already! one thing not sure is about the sparkplus. MB says to change it every 5 year or 91000 miles. But obviously the mileage plays a more important role on sparkplus than age does.
The car drives well but I can feel that it is not very "smooth", maybe trans fluid?
Any advice?
Congrats jj. Bottom line is you are in love and happy. Heck, who can ask for more. What do you mean "not very smooth"?
Old 06-03-2012, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by NOTACAR
Congrats jj. Bottom line is you are in love and happy. Heck, who can ask for more. What do you mean "not very smooth"?
NOTACAR I was just about to reply your post on my previous post until I received an Email said I've got mail.
I hope I could see your post earlier so that I would be more careful. But anyway, the car has no bad story, I've met the original owner (he has all the original receipt, with his name, insurance........), everything shows the car really has about 8k mile. (e.g, a 2011 serivce record showed mileage in 7035, mileage out 7035).

I want to thank you for your detailed answer in my previous post (damn I really wish I could see it before I went to the CLS!).

By saying not smooth I mean, put it in this way, when you drive a new car, or even a old car, if you put the trasmission in P and push the throttle, the engine is kinda smooth, since there is no gear involved. But if you put it in D, then the engine is no longer "that smooth", because now it is in gear, but it is still normal.
For my car, when it is in gear, I car strongly feel the gear is involved. So that's why I am considering a trans flush
Old 06-03-2012, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by djrabbi
Just go by mileage not date for electric stuff. For fluids it is always to change all of them after buying a car. I wouldn't do the transmission one though.
what else other than the fluid?
Old 06-03-2012, 07:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
White S63 AMG W/Designo Interior
Jj1400 drive another w219 and see if it feels any different..
Old 06-03-2012, 07:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

what else other than the fluid?
Oil Change, Brake, Steering, etc...I changed all mine feels like a new car.
Old 06-03-2012, 08:41 PM

Oil Change, Brake, Steering, etc...I changed all mine feels like a new car.
did you do the trans?
Old 06-03-2012, 08:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Nope...A lot of people have been saying no because once to get a trans flush, the transmission will fail soon after. Apparently 4 members on his forum had same problem. A month or so after flush, the trans was shot. I wouldn't do it unless it is realllllly needed.
Old 06-03-2012, 10:45 PM

CLS55
Congrats on the new whip! Low mileage CLS is hard to come by. As far as ur tranny, don't flush it. Try unplugging your battery overnight then reconnect in the morning. The way alotta Benzes work is that sometimes u gotta reset the tranny shift adaptations. It's kinda like doing a reset. We do this all the time with 55K motors and it shifts crisper, quicker and smoother and adapts to it new driving habits.
Old 06-03-2012, 10:52 PM

Nope...A lot of people have been saying no because once to get a trans flush, the transmission will fail soon after. Apparently 4 members on his forum had same problem. A month or so after flush, the trans was shot. I wouldn't do it unless it is realllllly needed.
Exactly I read some post said the trans failed after flush, but someone said it failed because they didn't flush it. I'm lost...so when do you think it's the time to flush it?
Old 06-03-2012, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by BenzCLS06
Congrats on the new whip! Low mileage CLS is hard to come by. As far as ur tranny, don't flush it. Try unplugging your battery overnight then reconnect in the morning. The way alotta Benzes work is that sometimes u gotta reset the tranny shift adaptations. It's kinda like doing a reset. We do this all the time with 55K motors and it shifts crisper, quicker and smoother and adapts to it new driving habits.
Thanks for your info! But when do you think it's the time to flush the trans? MB says 4 years, mine is amost 7 year(althogh only 8k mileage). I'm worried since my 07 ML has a trans problem since I bought it (used), and MB wants $6000 to rebuild it. What's the best thing to do to mainten the trans in my situation?
Old 06-04-2012, 03:40 AM

'09 CLS
NOTACAR I was just about to reply your post on my previous post until I received an Email said I've got mail.
I hope I could see your post earlier so that I would be more careful. But anyway, the car has no bad story, I've met the original owner (he has all the original receipt, with his name, insurance........), everything shows the car really has about 8k mile. (e.g, a 2011 serivce record showed mileage in 7035, mileage out 7035).

I want to thank you for your detailed answer in my previous post (damn I really wish I could see it before I went to the CLS!).

By saying not smooth I mean, put it in this way, when you drive a new car, or even a old car, if you put the trasmission in P and push the throttle, the engine is kinda smooth, since there is no gear involved. But if you put it in D, then the engine is no longer "that smooth", because now it is in gear, but it is still normal.
For my car, when it is in gear, I car strongly feel the gear is involved. So that's why I am considering a trans flush
hey jj..sounds like you have done your research and made a wise purchase. You are welcome regarding my post, but please don't second guess your purchase of the CLS because of my post..one of a kind automobiles, body style will never age or disappoint. Believe me when I say that the CLS is amazing because I done extensive research on the CLS beginning in August of 2010 until I purchased in April of this year. I mean research like trailing people in their CLS, waited until they got to their destination, then actually questioned them about their experience. Not one driver/owner said they regretted their decision of purchasing the CLS. Absolutely amazing automobile. So, enjoy it, get the "smooth" issue taken care of and pat yourself on the back.

Because I am a newbie MB owner, I would rather not advise on the "smooth" issue that may or may not be a tranny problem. When you mentioned "smooth", I thought maybe you were referring to a ride(surface) smoothness such as a wheel/tire balance issue.

Let me make another lengthy suggestion. I once own a Japanese Luxury vehicle. Once the warranty and CPO warranty expired and mileage got high I began having a few problems with the vehicle, but nothing major. f course I didn't want to take it to the dealer for repair. So, one afterrnoon, I staked out the dealership in my friend's american made vehicle and waited until the technicians got off for the day. Because of my dealings with the service department, I knew the technicians and their experience/longevity with the service department. As this particular technician was walking away from the service dept, I drove up to him and asked would he give me a call about my car. I did this discreetly and fast by giving him my cell number and drove off. He called within 5 mins. From that day forward, I never had to take my vehicle in to the dealer for repair unless he instructed me too. I would by the parts and he would install them at his shop at his house. With that being said, if there is a MB dealer in your area, try to make contact with a technician in the service department, preferably one that has been there at least 6 to 10 years. Do this discreetly because the dealership may have a policy that prohibit the technicians from working on vehicles they sell/service. All you want the technician to do is drive your CLS to help you identify this "smooth" issue. If there is a major problem, use that warranty the seller provided. Technicians that are currently employed at a dealership, tend not to screw you over because they don't want you coming on their job complaining. Plus the majority of them do this anyway to make a little extra $$$ on the side. Just know that they are real discreet about this, so it is important that you approach them discreetly.

Good luck and congrats again.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:54 AM

hey jj..sounds like you have done your research and made a wise purchase. You are welcome regarding my post, but please don't second guess your purchase of the CLS because of my post..one of a kind automobiles, body style will never age or disappoint. Believe me when I say that the CLS is amazing because I done extensive research on the CLS beginning in August of 2010 until I purchased in April of this year. I mean research like trailing people in their CLS, waited until they got to their destination, then actually questioned them about their experience. Not one driver/owner said they regretted their decision of purchasing the CLS. Absolutely amazing automobile. So, enjoy it, get the "smooth" issue taken care of and pat yourself on the back.

Because I am a newbie MB owner, I would rather not advise on the "smooth" issue that may or may not be a tranny problem. When you mentioned "smooth", I thought maybe you were referring to a ride(surface) smoothness such as a wheel/tire balance issue.

Let me make another lengthy suggestion. I once own a Japanese Luxury vehicle. Once the warranty and CPO warranty expired and mileage got high I began having a few problems with the vehicle, but nothing major. f course I didn't want to take it to the dealer for repair. So, one afterrnoon, I staked out the dealership in my friend's american made vehicle and waited until the technicians got off for the day. Because of my dealings with the service department, I knew the technicians and their experience/longevity with the service department. As this particular technician was walking away from the service dept, I drove up to him and asked would he give me a call about my car. I did this discreetly and fast by giving him my cell number and drove off. He called within 5 mins. From that day forward, I never had to take my vehicle in to the dealer for repair unless he instructed me too. I would by the parts and he would install them at his shop at his house. With that being said, if there is a MB dealer in your area, try to make contact with a technician in the service department, preferably one that has been there at least 6 to 10 years. Do this discreetly because the dealership may have a policy that prohibit the technicians from working on vehicles they sell/service. All you want the technician to do is drive your CLS to help you identify this "smooth" issue. If there is a major problem, use that warranty the seller provided. Technicians that are currently employed at a dealership, tend not to screw you over because they don't want you coming on their job complaining. Plus the majority of them do this anyway to make a little extra $$$ on the side. Just know that they are real discreet about this, so it is important that you approach them discreetly.

Good luck and congrats again.
You are a really nice man! In the past I tried to make personal connection with some individual technicians but not in MB service department since I don't like to deal with dealers, they always crew people up. B service costs more than 600 in my area and it is basically an oil change! But as you can see many service I want to do especialy the trans flush, allows no mistake. So I have to go to the damn dealer service department or make connection with their technicians, yea exactly as what you suggested.
What other Mercedes do you have? I don't know the CLS (since I just bought it), but if you get a change to drive a new S (2007 and up), I highly reccomand you try it if you can afford one. I have owned 6 mercedes in the past (and all different models), the S is the real Mercedes. Even the SL 63 can not compare!
Old 06-04-2012, 11:40 AM

'09 CLS
You are a really nice man! In the past I tried to make personal connection with some individual technicians but not in MB service department since I don't like to deal with dealers, they always crew people up. B service costs more than 600 in my area and it is basically an oil change! But as you can see many service I want to do especialy the trans flush, allows no mistake. So I have to go to the damn dealer service department or make connection with their technicians, yea exactly as what you suggested.
What other Mercedes do you have? I don't know the CLS (since I just bought it), but if you get a change to drive a new S (2007 and up), I highly reccomand you try it if you can afford one. I have owned 6 mercedes in the past (and all different models), the S is the real Mercedes. Even the SL 63 can not compare!
Thanks jj for the kind words. I see you are MB fanatic. Glad to know you have experience with other MBs. The CLS is my first MB. I will take your
advice on the S. And you are correct, if I can afford one. At this moment, I can't. The S is the big boy. I can only imagine how nice it is. I share your concern about the dealer, but in your case, I think you need to give them a try this one time. Use the opportunity to develop a relationship with one of the techs. Good luck to you. Let us know what you find out.
Old 06-04-2012, 12:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)
I was getting some rough shift changes on the tranny from 1st to 2nd on my CLS, two things I had done:

1. Transmission checked by the dealer, made sure all software was up to date.
2. Transmission flush was done at the recommended interval.

After that, I noticed shifting was smoother and not the "slight jerk" before. Just my experience.

Old 06-04-2012, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by bigben320e
I was getting some rough shift changes on the tranny from 1st to 2nd on my CLS, two things I had done:

After that, I noticed shifting was smoother and not the "slight jerk" before. Just my experience.

At how many mileage and age you did the trans flush?
Old 06-04-2012, 05:16 PM

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
CLS550 AMG Pkg.
Any advice?
1) Disconnect the main battery (in the trunk) and leave it disconnected overnight so that the adaptive transmission resets.

I did this. The car shifted much smoother afterwards.

Are you driving in "S" or "C" mode?

Last edited by M1RAG3; 06-05-2012 at 12:11 PM.
Old 06-04-2012, 06:32 PM

'09 CLS
Originally Posted by bigben320e

Big Ben, can you give me a little more info about the software update? How do you know when an update is available...etc? Any info would be helpful. Thanks
Old 06-04-2012, 06:41 PM

'09 CLS
Originally Posted by M1RAG3
1) Disconnect the main battery (in the trunk) and leave it disconnected overnight so that the adaptive transmission resets.

I did this. The car shifted much smooth afterwards.

I am assuming what you are saying is the transmission has adapted to the previous owner, and disconnecting the battery resets to it's original state?
Old 06-04-2012, 11:18 PM

I did this. The car shifted much smooth afterwards.

I will difinately try that. I always drive in C but feels no difference!
BTW, anyone knows wether I should buy a 250 dollar upgraded navigation cd for my old navigation or buy some professional navigation such as Garmin? (The Garmin may have better quality and functions, but it looks really ugly in a car which already has a navigation system)
Old 06-05-2012, 12:12 PM

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
CLS550 AMG Pkg.
I am assuming what you are saying is the transmission has adapted to the previous owner, and disconnecting the battery resets to it's original state?
Exactly.
Old 06-05-2012, 01:02 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 CLS500 - Iridium Silver w/ AMG Sportline
I will difinately try that. I always drive in C but feels no difference!
BTW, anyone knows wether I should buy a 250 dollar upgraded navigation cd for my old navigation or buy some professional navigation such as Garmin? (The Garmin may have better quality and functions, but it looks really ugly in a car which already has a navigation system)
The 06 nav sucks. It's not the maps, it's the whole damn thing. My old Garmi Nuvi is waaaay easier to use being touch screen. I rarely use the nav in my CLS. It's **** poor IMHO.
Old 06-05-2012, 04:08 PM

'09 CLS
Exactly.
Gotcha. Thanks.
Old 06-05-2012, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by boschk
The 06 nav sucks. It's not the maps, it's the whole damn thing. My old Garmi Nuvi is waaaay easier to use being touch screen. I rarely use the nav in my CLS. It's **** poor IMHO.
Got u. will buy a garmin 3590 now