CLS Coupe (C219) Discuss the CLS Coupe.

What is the point of this car again?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-02-2004, 07:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is the point of this car again?

For a start it looks ugly and I cannot see how it will drag sales away from E Class or S Class buyers. What is the actual purpose of this car? Where will it sit between on the range and what is it supposed to rival?

Is it just me or does anyone else think MB were smoking crack when making this model?
Old 04-02-2004, 09:56 AM

Mercedes C400, BMW X3
I think the point is the looks

I think the point of the CLS is the looks. This is a more emotional look for Mercedes and probably meant to address those folks who appreciate the brand and its engineering but prefer more style.

A new aesthetic direction is bound to have those who like it and those who loathe it, but perhaps with the new CLS Mercedes can attract new buyers who might have otherwise leaned towards a Jaguar.
Old 04-02-2004, 10:01 AM

All of the above
Where's Kev?

E55 Kev where are you ?

No discussion of the CLS would be complete without your input
Old 04-02-2004, 01:20 PM

Re: What is the point of this car again?

Originally posted by gurdas
For a start it looks ugly and I cannot see how it will drag sales away from E Class or S Class buyers. What is the actual purpose of this car? Where will it sit between on the range and what is it supposed to rival?

Is it just me or does anyone else think MB were smoking crack when making this model?
Am I on the pipe too, gurdas? I really like this car.

I currently drive a BMW 540i 6-speed. I bought my wife a C wagon a year ago, and have fallen in love with Mercedes' quality and service. Unfortunately, they really didn't have a car in their range that was right for me.

The S is a little big, and the E is a little small, and both look pretty staid to me. The CLS is the right size and looks great. At least for a "crack smoker" like me.
Old 04-02-2004, 02:57 PM

Re: Re: What is the point of this car again?

Originally posted by Smiles
Am I on the pipe too, gurdas? I really like this car.

I currently drive a BMW 540i 6-speed. I bought my wife a C wagon a year ago, and have fallen in love with Mercedes' quality and service. Unfortunately, they really didn't have a car in their range that was right for me.

The S is a little big, and the E is a little small, and both look pretty staid to me. The CLS is the right size and looks great. At least for a "crack smoker" like me.
No need to take it personal buddy, I just think they really messed up or they got Bangle to come in secretly part time

The CLS is just too controversial I think, the headlights, the way the back slopes, the rear lights.

As for the gap between the E and the S class, there was hardly a big size difference to warrent a new model but I guess we can only tell when we see the sales figures, I just personally think it was rather pointless and the time could have been better spend coming up with a good 6 series rival.
Old 04-02-2004, 03:09 PM

I was just kidding. I probably should have used some smilies.

As for Bangle, that's another reason why I'm looking at Mercedes Benzes!

I really do like the CLS. I wish the dealership could give me some more info, though...
Old 04-05-2004, 06:30 AM
Guest0001

CLS just might just be my next car I love it!!!
Old 04-12-2004, 06:43 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
w211 & w124
Originally posted by Noble C320
CLS just might just be my next car I love it!!!
Please tell me you're joking bro.
Old 04-14-2004, 10:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E350, S320, Mini Cooper S
I love the CLS, it's very stylish.
Old 04-23-2004, 08:45 PM
Guest0001

Originally posted by Samoan_Ridah
Please tell me you're joking bro.
Nope. it really pushes my buttons.
Old 05-07-2004, 02:58 AM
Almost a Member!

E500 2003
I will be getting the cls 55 and have my money on deposit already. They will absolutley no question about it find plenty of buyers for this series. The will take from both the e & S drivers as well as the Jags and beemers. Watch out, all those not in favor are going to be biting their tongues.
Old 05-07-2004, 08:38 AM

Originally posted by colinforte
I will be getting the cls 55 and have my money on deposit already.
Thanks for the post, Colin. Your car will be fantastic

Did the dealer give you an estimated date for delivery? Did they have any option details, or did they know when you could specify your options? Can you specify your options now?

My dealer asked for a $1000 deposit, as they would for any car. Is this the norm for the CLS?

And... What color are you getting?

--Matt
Old 05-07-2004, 09:40 AM
Almost a Member!

E500 2003
Thumbs up

Go to a dealer that does not have a waiting list for the 55. You will be first if he writes number 1 on the contract. No colour yet and no details.....just the first one to get one
Old 05-09-2004, 04:34 AM
I1 ULOOZ

I also really like the car!
Old 05-09-2004, 04:35 AM
I1 ULOOZ

anybody know when the cls is due to come out in the us, and when the clc55 is due to come out?
Old 05-09-2004, 10:37 AM

Mercedes C400, BMW X3
Early 2005

My dealer has told me that the order list will be available in October to build cars for arrival in January for the CLS. The AMG version should be six months behind.
Old 05-10-2004, 03:55 AM
I1 ULOOZ

umm, I think Im abouts to order me one??
Old 05-16-2004, 11:57 PM

I read somewhere (can't remember exactly where, sorry) that BMW only expects to produce 9,000 645ci's/year. Of course, they're probably going to bump that up a couple thousand because there's apparently a major backlog on them. I can see Mercedes easily pumping out around 8-10,000 CLS's, especially considering they're going to have a V6 in the mix, as well. Also, the E has been out for almost two years and a bunch of its competitors are coming out with new models (Infiniti M35/45, Audi A6, Lexus GS) or have recently (5 series), the E is due for a sales decline. Even if the decline is slight, that'll provide the space on the line to build the CLS along side the E. Also, while canabalization is possible, I think along with a relatively small production run and the way MB is marketing the car, it'll take just take nibbles away from a range of MB's– the CLK, the E, the S, and the CL– meaning that the impact to each line will be fairly negligible.

As for the ridiculous assertion that the CLS is a coupe, I don't think Mercedes is actually trying to convince people that it is a coupe so much as they're trying to convey the idea that the CLS is as much jewelry as any proper coupe is, such as the 645ci. Consumers in the market for a premium coupe (or any premium vehicle, for that matter) typically do not have practicality or basic transportation at the top of their consideration list: style, performance, image, and luxury are, and not necessarily in that order. Mercedes is banking on people in the market for a new toy looking at the CLS and seeing a piece of automotive jewelry on par with any other coupe in its price range, and then, despite practicality not being high on their considerations, looking at the extra doors as a plus factor– people who can afford a $60,000+ car tend to well out of their 20's (if not their 30's), so the extra doors will come in quite handy when age-induced inflexibility rears its ugly head and makes the contortions often required to get into a 2-door's back seat difficult or impossible. Hand in hand with the 'jewelry' function of the CLS is the impulse/emotion purchase: people buying a new car not out of need, but out of pure want. I think this will also stem the canabilization factor, since I think (and this is all just my opinion, so feel free to disagree with me, so long as you have a decent argument) a good portion of buyers will see this car and buy one even though they weren't in the market.

Now, will the car be a success? Damned if I know. But I sure do want one.
Old 05-22-2004, 01:34 PM

1999 SLK230 Kompressor
I agree with Rohith T. Remember also this car is a 4-seater, not a traditional sedan that can seat 3 in the back. So for family oriented buyers who want 5 seats and four doors you get to pick the E-class; if you want a coupe/conv and don't care about your rear seat passengers entry and egress from the vehicle you get the CLK-class; now, if you hate getting out of your seat to let someone else in/out of the back seat, and you want better room for your rear passengers, pick the CLS.

I think the CLS should be seen more like a CLK with 2 extra doors and a heftier price tag. Afterall, MB would not want to follow Saturn and Mazda by making little suicide doors that open backward to allow more room to enter/exit their vehicles. No, sirree, they had to come up with something more original than that (except Nissan Maxima does offer a similar idea as an option for its cars - you can opt for a regular 5 seater Maxima or a strictly 4-seater interior layout). MB built a whole new car for itself rather than mix and match options. Nicely done, IMHO!

If there is one thing I have learned about cars it is this: wait to see one on the road and up close and personal because sometimes pictures do not tell the whole story (they are 2 dimensional representations of a 3 dimensional object). See one, touch one, drive one - you will be impressed!!!!