Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 12:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
2007 Mercedes E550
Airmatic Collapse please help!!

Hi All,
My front right strut collapsed yesterday. I have looked through the video tutorials online and I think I can do the job.

If you have a chance, please help me with the following:

1. What do you all think about this strut:

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...246/10017531-P

2. What is semi-adaptive airmatic, code 489? How do I know if my car has this or is fully adaptive? My car has the button to raise the car and has two suspension settings.

3. Any other tips you may think of??

Thank you very much in advance!
Old 07-20-2017, 12:02 AM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
2010 e550 coupe
Originally Posted by LexBrett2
Hi All,
My front right strut collapsed yesterday. I have looked through the video tutorials online and I think I can do the job.

2. What is semi-adaptive airmatic, code 489? How do I know if my car has this or is fully adaptive? My car has the button to raise the car and has two suspension settings.

Well I can answer the one question in regards to arnott. They are basically the best choice and really only choice (i'd recommend) for getting replacements. They basically rebuild em and give you lifetime warranty. It is a diy job depending on how experienced you are dealing with suspension etc... I'd give it a 3/5... 5 being the hardest.

Not sure what the error code is though. Either way if it's collapsed it probably just needs to be changed.
The following users liked this post:
LexBrett2 (08-07-2017)
Old 07-20-2017, 09:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 Mercedes E550
Originally Posted by Dnasty
Well I can answer the one question in regards to arnott. They are basically the best choice and really only choice (i'd recommend) for getting replacements. They basically rebuild em and give you lifetime warranty. It is a diy job depending on how experienced you are dealing with suspension etc... I'd give it a 3/5... 5 being the hardest.

Not sure what the error code is though. Either way if it's collapsed it probably just needs to be changed.
Thanks for the response. I did end up buying the Arnot Strut at Advance Auto for $500. Still working on the DIY, but I am getting close. Made my day when I used this tool to get off ball joint:

https://mobiledistributorsupply.com/...ABEgIi0vD_BwE#
Old 07-20-2017, 05:51 PM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
2010 e550 coupe
Thanks for the response. I did end up buying the Arnot Strut at Advance Auto for $500. Still working on the DIY, but I am getting close. Made my day when I used this tool to get off ball joint:

https://mobiledistributorsupply.com/...ABEgIi0vD_BwE#
Yea the balljoint is a pia... putting it back in is even harder... did not know you had to remove ball joints to take the strut out though.
Old 07-20-2017, 06:31 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
2019 E450
You shouldnt have to undo the ball joints to replace the strut.
Old 07-21-2017, 07:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 Mercedes E550
Originally Posted by Dnasty
Yea the balljoint is a pia... putting it back in is even harder... did not know you had to remove ball joints to take the strut out though.
Watched several videos, and they all disconnected ball joint. There is not a lot of space so hard to imagine getting it out otherwise:

Any tips on getting ball joint reconnected? Do I need a special tool? I am taking it really slow, since this is first time doing a shock, and plus I am going to do the other side.

Do you all know the torque specs for the bolts?? I looked online all day yesterday and could not find the specs.

I assume I use blue lock-tight??

In any event, I got the airstrut out last night, and plan to put in the Arnott tonight.

Any tips are much appreciated!!
Attached Thumbnails Airmatic Collapse please help!!-strut.jpg  
Old 07-24-2017, 02:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mercedes cls 550
u can email me sonlu514@gmail.com

tell me a bit about ur strut if it cls550 then I can help u
Old 07-24-2017, 02:06 AM

mercedes cls 550
Watched several videos, and they all disconnected ball joint. There is not a lot of space so hard to imagine getting it out otherwise:

https://youtu.be/__8u3GSQ4xk

Any tips on getting ball joint reconnected? Do I need a special tool? I am taking it really slow, since this is first time doing a shock, and plus I am going to do the other side.

Do you all know the torque specs for the bolts?? I looked online all day yesterday and could not find the specs.

I assume I use blue lock-tight??

In any event, I got the airstrut out last night, and plan to put in the Arnott tonight.

Any tips are much appreciated!!
u don't need special tool to remove struts out. but u r replace new one in ? if u do u will get the problem is one side will higher then the other side for sure. if ur struts uneven then just post it I will show u how to adjust them for same height

Last edited by Son Lu; 07-24-2017 at 02:09 AM.
Old 07-24-2017, 02:13 AM

mercedes cls 550
for who want to save to buy new struts.

email me sonlu514@gmail.com will show u how to seal the leak and save thousand dollar to get new one.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 Mercedes E550
Adjust ride height ONLY with expensive diagnostic tool??

Originally Posted by Son Lu
email me sonlu514@gmail.com will show u how to seal the leak and save thousand dollar to get new one.
Hey Buddy, thanks for the post. I was successful this weekend in changing the defective right strut.

Bought an Arnott strut with a lifetime warranty from Advance Auto for $500. Fitment is perfect, the ride is improved, and no issue so far (fingers crossed).

I am interested in knowing how to adjust ride height as you mentioned. It seems that ONLY expensive diagnostic tools (or STAR) are able to adjust ride height.

Is that correct or is there another method to adjust the height?
Old 07-24-2017, 01:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 Mercedes E550
Airmatic fixed funfact: Windows work better now

Now that my front left airmatic strut is replaced I noticed a very unexpected side benefit of the repair. My windows don't "rattle" anymore when I run over bumps.

Before the repaired strut, when I was driving in the city on the crappy road, my front driver side window would make an annoying clicking/rattling sound.

I assumed that something was loose in the window, and one day I would have to take it apart to see what was going on.

But instead, it seems like the failing strut was sending vibration in the cabin, causing the window rattle.

Just something I thought I would share with the group...
Old 08-07-2017, 08:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 Mercedes E550
Thanks again everyone

Hi All,

HI All,
This weekend I completed changing out both right and left front airmatic struts. I want to say *thank you* again for everyone's help. Not only did I save at least $1500 DIY, I feel much more confident driving (ie, because if a strut goes I know what to do).