CLS Coupe (C219) Discuss the CLS Coupe.

Brake squeal gone- but the click is on- ideas?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 11:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
2007 Mercedes E550
Brake squeal gone- but the click is on- ideas?

Hey All;

Took a chance and bought ebay brakes.

Big mistake, and a few months after I put them in they started squealing like crazy! This weekend I put in some Akebono Ultra Premium pads and they are beautiful- super quiet and stop excellent.

BUT

Was surprised when I heard a click sound coming from the front, under the car, maybe the sound is the brakes, maybe not. I uninstalled the brake pad last night (PITA!), re-lubed metal parts and shims, and retorqued brake caliper bolts and added blue thread locker. Everything seems fine.

When I drove to work in miserable DC stop and go traffic the brakes felt perfect.

But when I go to park, I feel the ping.The click, ping, metallic sound feel is only when I slowly pull into a parking spot at a slight 1 or 2-degree decline.

I know this is a long shot, but anyone else have a similar experience??

Things I plan to check:

1. Dust shield hitting something
2. Brake wear sensor getting stuck

Since it could also be the suspension, will check:

1. Torque on sway bar end links
2. Top 13mm bolts on strut mounts
3. The locking nut on the steering knuckle
4. Tie rods

I also had an alignment recently and changed out front airmatic struts!

Any thoughts???
Old 09-06-2017, 01:04 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cl 500 216
Try moving slowly in reverse apply brake, then move slowly forward apply brake, if click is heard probably pads slightly undersized in the calliper

Could also check the two bolts that hold calliper carrier onto hub are real tight.
The following users liked this post:
LexBrett2 (09-14-2017)
Old 09-06-2017, 01:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 Mercedes E550
Originally Posted by Paulmurphy
Try moving slowly in reverse apply brake, then move slowly forward apply brake, if click is heard probably pads slightly undersized in the calliper

Could also check the two bolts that hold calliper carrier onto hub are real tight.
The pads are identical in shape to the other pads I had in previously, so it doesn't seem likely it is the pads? I suppose I could swap out the new with the old pads and see what happens to rule it out??

The shim didn't seem to fit super snug on the pad, but I have never had an issue before...

I did tighten the caliper bolts, but I couldn't find the exact torque specs. I have seen torque specs ranging from 30 to 80 ft lbs. I started with 40 ft lbs with my digital torque wrench and then tightened as much as I could by hand.

Thoughts?
Old 09-06-2017, 01:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 Mercedes E550
This video suggests that out of place shims could cause the problem-
Old 09-13-2017, 08:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 Mercedes E550

Last night I checked the caliper bolts and torqued them to the exact oem spec of 85 ft lbs, but my clicking sound persists.

It is true when I go slightly in forward and then slightly backward I hear the sound. It is pretty much the only time I hear the sound.

I researched the Akebono EUR847 pads, and I cannot find anyone that has had a problem with fitment.

I'm going to Merchants Tire today to get an alignment, and I will ask them to do a brake check. They are usually bozos though, and may or may not be able to diagnose...
Old 09-13-2017, 01:26 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cl 500 216
I would definitely say that them pads are undersized or if there's a shim that wraps round them check that, it's the pad contact area in the pad holder, as you brake forward the pad moves down and clicks, as you reverse the pad moves up and clicks. Easily checked by moving pad up and down by hand, it doesn't take much to be under size for the noise to appear. Putting old pads back in would prove it only if you still have them.
The following users liked this post:
LexBrett2 (09-14-2017)
Old 09-14-2017, 07:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 Mercedes E550
PADS TOO SMALL

I would definitely say that them pads are undersized or if there's a shim that wraps round them check that, it's the pad contact area in the pad holder, as you brake forward the pad moves down and clicks, as you reverse the pad moves up and clicks. Easily checked by moving pad up and down by hand, it doesn't take much to be under size for the noise to appear. Putting old pads back in would prove it only if you still have them.
Thanks for the response. Last night I discovered that the pads are indeed TOO SMALL. I took off the wheel and moved the rotor back and forth. I could clearly see the pad move back and forth and produce the "click".

Looking more closely, the retaining hardware was not holding the top of the pad firmly because the pad was a couple millimeters too small. I tried a second set of hardware I purchased, and the pads still did not fit.

When I put the old pads back in (brake motive brand off eBay), and the brakes were perfect. Moving the rotor and wheel back and forth produced no sound.

I went for a test drive and didn't get any clicking, but this morning I did hear something, which I assume is a separate issue, but nonetheless, my brakes sound A LOT better.

I'm going to my OEM brakes, which should get my brakes as good as they are going to get, and I'm very disappointed with Akebono.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 Mercedes E550
rear pads dont fit too

I discovered that my rear pads, as well as the front, are too small. After putting back the old pads and eliminating the front brake noise, I still had another phantom clicking sound.

I rushed home from work and got my car on my lift. The front pads were stable and not clicking, but when I checked the rear, they made all kinds of sounds. I'll have to switch the rear pads and wait for OEM pads to come in the mail.

What a PITA. Akebono, you suck!
Old 09-26-2017, 12:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 Mercedes E550
Originally Posted by LexBrett2
Hey All;

Took a chance and bought ebay brakes.

Big mistake, and a few months after I put them in they started squealing like crazy! This weekend I put in some Akebono Ultra Premium pads and they are beautiful- super quiet and stop excellent.

BUT

Was surprised when I heard a click sound coming from the front, under the car, maybe the sound is the brakes, maybe not. I uninstalled the brake pad last night (PITA!), re-lubed metal parts and shims, and retorqued brake caliper bolts and added blue thread locker. Everything seems fine.

When I drove to work in miserable DC stop and go traffic the brakes felt perfect.

But when I go to park, I feel the ping.The click, ping, metallic sound feel is only when I slowly pull into a parking spot at a slight 1 or 2-degree decline.

I know this is a long shot, but anyone else have a similar experience??

Things I plan to check:

1. Dust shield hitting something
2. Brake wear sensor getting stuck

Since it could also be the suspension, will check:

1. Torque on sway bar end links
2. Top 13mm bolts on strut mounts
3. The locking nut on the steering knuckle
4. Tie rods

I also had an alignment recently and changed out front airmatic struts!

Any thoughts???
So I finally got my OEM Mercedes front brake pads installed; the noise I was experiencing is completely gone!! Clearly, OEM is the way to go with these cars.