CLS Coupe (C219) Discuss the CLS Coupe.

Wheel Speed Sensor Gap Issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-02-2017, 09:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 CLS 550
Wheel Speed Sensor Gap Issue

Hi, I had the infamous issue where my ABS system lit up like a Christmas tree, my cruise control stopped working, the steering got hard and noisy, etc. while on a long trip earlier this summer. I took it into to a Mercedes-Benz dealership and they diagnosed the problem as a left rear wheel speed sensor issue. I have a noisy wheel but they said the bearings seem fine and say it's my tires. Anyway, I ordered one of those sensors and a great little device to read the codes for myself (iCarsoft i980). I replaced the sensor and then cleared all the codes. I then put about 2000 miles on the car before it threw the codes again. This time is says "L6/3 (left rear speed sensor): Inspect distance from rotor to sensor". When I read the information coming from it in real time, it occasionally says the gap is NOT OKAY. It's not clear to me how to fix this. I pulled the sensor again and there aren't any shims or anything and I blew out the hole while rotating the wheel to see if it made any difference - it doesn't. Could this be a bad wheel bearing? How can you adjust this gap? Thanks.
Old 10-03-2017, 11:30 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,434 Likes on 3,151 Posts
'71 Pinto
See here: https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...-bearings.html
The following users liked this post:
bcameron (10-03-2017)
Old 10-03-2017, 11:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 CLS 550
Originally Posted by konigstiger
I'd searched all over and hadn't seen that thread. Sounds very much like it might well be an issue with the bearing seal (which I didn't touch but perhaps it's rusted out). I'll order up a new bearing/seal and see if it works. Thanks!!!