CLS Coupe (C219) Discuss the CLS Coupe.

2008 CLS550 Suspension help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-10-2024, 12:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 CLS550
Post 2008 CLS550 Suspension help

I have a 2008 CLS550 with about 107k miles on it. I've had this car since I got it new and always have taken it to the dealer just because I never had the confidence to work on it on my own. Lately my left rear bellow/air bag is broken and leaking (every time I get out I hear the air releasing). I took it to the dealer and they gave me a 9k estimate for all repairs which included 3 new tires and also replacing both rear bellow and airbag. They basically told me the car wasn't worth fixing and when I asked what would be the trade in value, I was told it be $500 towards a new car! I said no thank you and took my car. At this point I'm biting the bullet and going to try to do this on my own since the cars run pretty good in my opinion.

At this point I'm no longer going to take it to the dealer and try to do things on my own. I'm looking to get help to possibly to determine if what I'm planning is right and if this is something I could do one my own. I've watched a lot videos on this but still doesn't make me a mechanic lol so I have a friend whose a mechanic that will help me.

This is what I plan on getting to replace the rear bellows in the rear. This replacement rear air spring kit that eliminates the OE reservoir. Is there a major disadvantage with going with this? What happens if I no longer use the reservoir
https://eeuroparts.com/product/arnot...ies/3992998KIT

I got new tires and they couldn't perform an alignment due to there being so much play on the control arms. They recommended me to replace the ball joints and front thrust arms. I went home and jacked up the car and moved the front tires up and down. There's definitely a lot of play which would makes sense since I would also hear a clunking sound when turning. Below is a screenshot of what they mention I needed. I search FCPeuro and saw a front suspension kit but which one should I go with.

This is what I was thinking of getting: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/mer...mforder-211330

Should I get this one instead since it's a front suspension kit? https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/mer...mforder-211330

Front suspension repair items

Below are pictures the dealer sent me.

Left rear bellow

Right rear bellow

Rear flex disc. They said the disc was dry and rotten

Rear sensor. They said it was rusted and needed to be changed

Old 04-11-2024, 05:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 459 Likes on 398 Posts
2005 CLS55 AMG W219 C219
I have a 2005 CLS55 and almost do all the work myself. That is also my recommendation for anyone who contemplates to buy a W219 CLS today. it will save a lot of money as you just proved.

I replaced the rear bags 2 years ago myself with cheap eBay ones and they are holding strong. They are a 1:1 replacement and use the existing reservoirs.

Did you always go to this dealer? Because the hardy discs should have been replaced a while ago. In other words, the big quote could have been done in way smaller increments. Please also check my build thread, as I have done a lot of preventative maintenance, which might help/inspire you: https://mbworld.org/forums/c219/8443...ld-thread.html
The following users liked this post:
michellebenz (06-28-2024)
Old 04-11-2024, 02:48 PM

2008 CLS550
Yeah I noticed you did the same job. Did you have to drop the sub frame to replace the bellow/bag? or is that something you only do if you replace the reservoir? That's what dealer was telling that they would have to drop the sub frame.

I've always taken to the dealer but to be honest they never really told me about this disc. I really feel with they do they're "inspection" they miss a lot key things.
Old 04-12-2024, 12:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 CLS550
3 grand for some control arms?! God have mercy... I would stop doing business with this place immediately.
Old 06-20-2024, 07:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 Mercedes CLS550
Deleted my airbags

I had a similar issue with my 2008 cls550 the rear airbag went out and was quoted $3700 to replace from a German shop near me. I decided to delete my airbags and went with a spring conversion set. I paid $1482 on partsgeek and went with the brand Arnott. My local mechanic installed them
For me for $500. The car rides stiffer and it’s a little raised but nothing crazy. It currently sits on 20” wheels- it came that way when I bought it recently. I’m happy with the conversion so far.

Old 06-28-2024, 07:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 459 Likes on 398 Posts
2005 CLS55 AMG W219 C219
Thats also a method to get rid of leaky airbags
Old 06-29-2024, 02:14 AM

WDD2211562A093366
maybe I can help you .