CLS Coupe (C219) Discuss the CLS Coupe.

Battery protection issue, not the easiest one yet! Help plz...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old Yesterday, 12:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Battery protection issue, not the easiest one yet! Help plz...

Hello world!

I have W219 CLS500 , 2005 model, It has been imported from Japan about 4 years ago.
This is 2- battery system.

It has very very annoing issue with Battery protection message , consumers off / on , on instrument cluster.
I tried to google this for a week now , and tried to solve the issue without success.

Message is displayed without car running (when key on 2 position), and with car running and charging fine.

Car has good batteries. MB original AGM , week 47/2021. Tested with two different battery testers, it shows ~f1000aH cranking power.
Front battery also replaced by last owner, and it's holding up the juice good. ~12.6v currently.

BCM is replaced also (with same OE numbers A2115404245) (not corrected the issue)

NO FAULT CODES ON BCM. even when message pops out on IC.

Example, if battery is 12.6v ; when i turn the key ON position it drops a bit measured from battery = normal, because systems started.

Interesting part is that BCM is showing voltage ~12v from the code reader (TERMINAL 30 is the point that it gets the info... (battery +??), and other modules like doors etc. are also ~12v. U While battery is putting higher volts same time. Where are those missing volts?
Also with my tester, BCM is showing MINUS - amps on charge current without car running (key on 2 position)
And why BCM is not registering the "battery protection" if it's noticed and told it on IC.

"Upper control panel" (on roof with interior lights) shows 11v on code reader!! (i took the panel off and measured with volt meter, the plug has same volt amount than the battery ex. 12.5v.)

While car is running Instrument cluster is showing ~13.7-14.1 , measured from battery, it's slightly larger number again.

Small battery volts it's showing correct without car running.

Both front and back SAM's fuses and connectors measured with volt meter, giving the same voltage as the trunk battery.

All fuses matches to charts and are ok , and most of the ground points are cleaned from the trunk at least.

Altenator voltage regulator has been replaced by me (Bosch OE one)

Only fault code that might have something to do with this is ( with Star / with my own reader) is the ESP module 5B13 = Check N82 Battery Control Unit (or CAN fault to Instrument cluster), but no ESP light on the dash , so not a big deal?

Is there a maybe some ground problems from engine bay (main ground?) or what is wrong here.

Old Today, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by cls500500
Hello world!

I have W219 CLS500 , 2005 model, It has been imported from Japan about 4 years ago.
This is 2- battery system.

It has very very annoing issue with Battery protection message , consumers off / on , on instrument cluster.
I tried to google this for a week now , and tried to solve the issue without success.

Message is displayed without car running (when key on 2 position), and with car running and charging fine.

Car has good batteries. MB original AGM , week 47/2021. Tested with two different battery testers, it shows ~f1000aH cranking power.
Front battery also replaced by last owner, and it's holding up the juice good. ~12.6v currently.

BCM is replaced also (with same OE numbers A2115404245) (not corrected the issue)

NO FAULT CODES ON BCM. even when message pops out on IC.

Example, if battery is 12.6v ; when i turn the key ON position it drops a bit measured from battery = normal, because systems started.

Interesting part is that BCM is showing voltage ~12v from the code reader (TERMINAL 30 is the point that it gets the info... (battery +??), and other modules like doors etc. are also ~12v. U While battery is putting higher volts same time. Where are those missing volts?
Also with my tester, BCM is showing MINUS - amps on charge current without car running (key on 2 position)
And why BCM is not registering the "battery protection" if it's noticed and told it on IC.

"Upper control panel" (on roof with interior lights) shows 11v on code reader!! (i took the panel off and measured with volt meter, the plug has same volt amount than the battery ex. 12.5v.)

While car is running Instrument cluster is showing ~13.7-14.1 , measured from battery, it's slightly larger number again.

Small battery volts it's showing correct without car running.

Both front and back SAM's fuses and connectors measured with volt meter, giving the same voltage as the trunk battery.

All fuses matches to charts and are ok , and most of the ground points are cleaned from the trunk at least.

Altenator voltage regulator has been replaced by me (Bosch OE one)

Only fault code that might have something to do with this is ( with Star / with my own reader) is the ESP module 5B13 = Check N82 Battery Control Unit (or CAN fault to Instrument cluster), but no ESP light on the dash , so not a big deal?

Is there a maybe some ground problems from engine bay (main ground?) or what is wrong here.

Found one thing.. Front passanger SAM has fault code: 9020 , Component M13 (Heating Water circulation pump) has short circuit to ground -> dead.... Measured the connector with multimeter, shows ~11.5v ?
Leaved the connector unplugged, can this eat so much (Volts -amps - energy) if plugged?
Old Today, 05:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 457 Likes on 397 Posts
2005 CLS55 AMG W219 C219
I was also battling a power related issue, but as I am not savvy with electronics, I shot with hail and just started replacing things before I type everything out again, I found my post in thread: https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...tched-off.html

Originally Posted by nd-photo.nl
Then you definitely have some draw. I posted this a couple times, as I was also searching for a drain:

I also had a power drain issue on my CLS55, to be honest I am not sure what I exactly did to solve it, but its highly strange that you cannot access the AGW with your Autel. I also have an Autel and was able to access it and code it where necessary. Some things:

-I also changed my alarm siren/horn. It wasn't working properly anymore and is a known culprit for power drain
-The CD changer needs to be connected with the power cables, else the headunit wont turn on. You can test this easily by drawing the fuse for the CD changer
-If you disconnect MOST components, you also need to adjust the coding for it. Else the AGW will expect the component to be there
-I also removed my phone + cradle in the arm rest. It always felt warm, meaning it was using power.
-I also replaced the BCM with the newest revision (I bought a 2nd hand from a 2007 E-class)
-I also replaced the AUX battery relay under the scuttle. If the AUX battery isnt charged properly, then it will keep asking for power from main battery if I am not mistaken
-I disabled the Interior Motion Sensor for the time being
-I serviced all (or almost all) earth points in the car, removing any corrosion and scuffing them up

[edit]
And:

I was also searching for parasitic drain. Some things:

- Search on Youtube, there are quite some videos on this topic, especially for W211
- Seat control modules are a common culprit, you can test this by pulling out the fuses and checking the draw
- Alarm siren is a common issue, with age the onboard batteries will fail to hold charge. The alarm siren will keep requesting current from the car, preventing it from sleep and draining the battery
- Audio Gateway is a common issue
- Navigation unit can cause drain
- Voltage regulator can cause drain
- BCM can cause drain
- AUX battery can cause drain
- AUX battery relay can cause drain
- non-MB Original alternator can cause issues! There was a thread in W211 AMG section not too long ago if memory serves me right

I replaced my BCM (2005 CLS W219) with a BCM from a 2007 E-class W211. Also replaced the AUX relay, alarm siren, both batteries. I disconnected all Tele Aid/Phone capabilities and fiber looped out the components I dont need (you also need to code them out).

I can also highly recommend a bluetooth battery guard, it gives insight what is happening with the battery > https://mbworld.org/forums/c219/8443...ml#post8860681
Old Today, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by nd-photo.nl
I was also battling a power related issue, but as I am not savvy with electronics, I shot with hail and just started replacing things before I type everything out again, I found my post in thread: https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...tched-off.html
Great post there! But you had issue with K57/2 + Aux battery, that caused those problems. I don't have any fault codes in BCM.. the message pops up quite soon i hit the KEY to 2 position (without car running), and while driving; even the altenator pulls 14V .. something eating a lot of juice??