Rate Thread

Old 01-30-2005 | 11:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS 350 and R230
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
A6 4.2 Auto Tiptronic® quattro®
Base MSRP: $50,500
Price as configured: $61,270 FULLY LOADED

Lexus LS430 (More an S-Class competitor, but someone mentioned it so I included it) Ultra Luxury Selection with Pre-Collision System (PCS) with Additional Options - FULLY LOADED $74,124.00

VW Phaeton V8 4.2L 4dr Sedan
4.2L 335hp 8-cylinder $71,400. FULLY LOADED
...yessssss...Sure, the CLS is overprized, no question. I think, it IS the best looking though. The CLS is a car that wakes emotions. So the price is secondarily.
Sure, Audi, VW and Lexus are better equipped...For me I can say Audi is to conventually. Sure, it´s a 4,2 but in my eyes it´s what you would call a diaper-racer... :p
Lexus is japanese and I´ll never buy a japanese car.
The Phaeton is a disaster, at least in Germany. It looks like crap and the sales figures are bad...

Further there are NO styling elements of a Taurus or Jag...Place a CLS next to a Taurus and a Jag and you´ll see...What do you think?? The MB-Designers would steal from Ford...Haha...

And yes, you ARE trying to attack...The CLS is a 4-door coupé. Thats the idea of the car. You dont understand it, I see...

Do you think your CL or SL (I´ve a SL too) is worth the price? I dont hope so...
Old 01-30-2005 | 11:15 AM

CLS 350 and R230
AUDI HAS QUATTRO MORE OPTIONS AND IS A BETTER CAR

Where is an Audi "a better car"?

If you want a car that´s worth it´s price you should buy japanese ones...
Old 01-30-2005 | 12:47 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2007 CL600
Originally Posted by bjoern1980
A6 4.2 Auto Tiptronic® quattro®
Base MSRP: $50,500
Price as configured: $61,270 FULLY LOADED

Lexus LS430 (More an S-Class competitor, but someone mentioned it so I included it) Ultra Luxury Selection with Pre-Collision System (PCS) with Additional Options - FULLY LOADED $74,124.00

VW Phaeton V8 4.2L 4dr Sedan
4.2L 335hp 8-cylinder $71,400. FULLY LOADED
...yessssss...Sure, the CLS is overprized, no question. I think, it IS the best looking though. The CLS is a car that wakes emotions. So the price is secondarily.
Sure, Audi, VW and Lexus are better equipped...For me I can say Audi is to conventually. Sure, it´s a 4,2 but in my eyes it´s what you would call a diaper-racer... :p
Lexus is japanese and I´ll never buy a japanese car.
The Phaeton is a disaster, at least in Germany. It looks like crap and the sales figures are bad...

Further there are NO styling elements of a Taurus or Jag...Place a CLS next to a Taurus and a Jag and you´ll see...What do you think?? The MB-Designers would steal from Ford...Haha...

And yes, you ARE trying to attack...The CLS is a 4-door coupé. Thats the idea of the car. You dont understand it, I see...

Do you think your CL or SL (I´ve a SL too) is worth the price? I dont hope so...
I do understand the idea of a four door coupe. The concept was seen in the 60s (e.g., pillarless buicks were often called 4-door coupes). There's nothing wrong with driving a 4-door. My next car may be an S600 sedan.

Do I think my SL is worth the price? You tell me. If you wanted to buy a premium 12 cyl with 500 hp that can kick many Ferrari asses and has a hard retractable top and that is an icon across the world AND that can be driven every day, what are your choices? SL600 and ????. Okay, lets take away the V12. What are my choices? The lexus? Not in the same category. It nice, but it's not an SL. The BMW 6? A worthy competitor, but it has a soft top and is not as luxurious (although it reminds me of a solara). I like it, but still not exactly the SL. BTW, Do you have an SL600, 55, or a 500. All are very different beasts. If you have a 500 (I owned one for 60 days) then you can't speak to the 600 unless you've driven/own one. I don't know, maybe you have.

Let's looks at the CL500. Tell me one premium coupe for $110,000 +/- $20,000 that's can compete: 2 doors, with back seats, stlylish, V-8, and loaded with Big Dogness. I can think of one car worth considering, but again it's not as nice or spacious: The BMW 6, but again it's not in the same category.

I coulda bought a Bentley GT (and still may when my lease is up), but more money and not as feature filled and the SL600 (it's competition) is better. Sure is a nice though.

So, is an SL600 worth the money? You be the judge. Give me an alternative.

Is the CL500? You give me an alternative. I want the best.

I gave you three for the CLS and I even agree mostly with your assesment of them. But I believe that all three are better cars than the CLS, if not in style (and all of them are attractive, more powerful and for the most part, less money for more features. My choice would have been the Audi.

Whose the next CLS apologist?
Attached Thumbnails A Piece Of Crap-m6.jpg  

Last edited by WIldcat465; 01-30-2005 at 01:15 PM.
Old 01-30-2005 | 12:55 PM

2007 CL600
AUDI HAS QUATTRO MORE OPTIONS AND IS A BETTER CAR

Where is an Audi "a better car"?

If you want a car that´s worth it´s price you should buy japanese ones...

Quattro. More power.

Japanese cars are a great value, but I don't need to be practical. Japanese cars have less style and again I like the MB image. It's like wearing a Rolex. I could wear a Timex, Tag, or a Seiko, but I don't have to.

Again, my problem with the CLS is that it does not drive like a $71,000 car. Before your drive one, drive the cars that I mentioned or a used S-Class or CL and then come to your own conclusion.

You don't need to defend your CLS by attack the cars that I drive. Anybondy who can afford a new MB is savvy enough to make ther own decisions. I just offered an opinion.

By the way, my MBs are worth the price. Everytime you drool on it, you'll know why.

Last edited by WIldcat465; 01-30-2005 at 01:19 PM.
Old 01-30-2005 | 03:04 PM

CLS 350 and R230
What I meant was not "what are alternatives?"...I would say that NO car is worth it´s price...You pay many bucks for the "Mercedes"-Name. The rest is own taste.
I like the CLS because of it´s design and I sold my W211 E500 for it. An E-Class is a all world car, the CLS is something special. You won´t see it 20 times every day like an E-Class...

Btw, Quattro doesn´t mean more power. It means more TRACTION. But it´s an AUDI...
If you wanted to buy a premium 12 cyl with 500 hp that can kick many Ferrari asses...
Is THIS what you want?? Kick other cars asses? Are you serious??
Kind of puberty...

Btw, please tell me that you do not own a RED SL???
Old 01-30-2005 | 03:25 PM
Super Moderator
MBWorld Ambassador

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
Wildcat may have a partial valid point here.... I can tell you that driving a CL or S Class is a lot different in feel from driving other classes. I have driven about every current model other than a CLS and I can tell you that no other model seems to have the vault like feel of a CL or S Class. The SL Class comes in second to the vault like feeling.

Nothing these days even comes close to the way Mercedes used to feel as in the build quality. I can remember in the 80's when you close a Benz door it was very monolithic.

I am looking forward to test driving the CLS. It looks like a very interesting model.

When driving each model class however you need to keep in mind what it is there to accomplish. Comparing the feel of a Maybach to the feel of a A Class is not a fair comparison.
Old 01-30-2005 | 04:55 PM
Almost a Member!

'05 MB C55, '04 BMW 330Ci
Yo i was considering getting the CLS in the next couple of months as my first MB, but now i will look into my other options for that price range more closely.
Wildcat thanks for your opinions, it will help me make a better decision (i dont wanna regret dropping 70K for a car i wont like after 2 months of driving)
Old 01-30-2005 | 05:38 PM

CLS 350 and R230
Why don´t you TEST the CLS instead of deciding because of a virtual discussion?? It´s kind of stupid...
Old 01-30-2005 | 07:23 PM

Old 01-30-2005 | 08:55 PM

First of all, to Wildcat - if you want to create a "neutral" thread to voice "your opinion", don't title it "A piece of crap". C'mon now. You understand how forums work right?

Alright - Been busy so I haven't had a chance to post anything lately, but this conversation has gone on long enough. Here is my opinion on this entire discussion (whether anyone cares or not...lol). All of this even got me rethinking the CLS so I decided to go check out the CLS again today and here is the end result:

For the price of a CLS you can get a myriad of cars - so here is a breakdown of some of the ones that have been mentioned in the history of this post -

BMW 7-Series: My opinion - yeah it's around the same price, but it looks like a car that my dad would drive and it's beyond played out. I live in L.A. and if I see another 7-Series on 22's I'll throw up. Great car for the money feature wise - if you like BMW's. Shaq said it best – BMW? It's just not a Benz.

BMW 6-Series: Thought about getting this (for about 12 minutes and 32 seconds) until I sat in it and test drove it. Same price range - but very plain on the interior and not very "exciting". Drives great, but had I bought it, everyday I would walk out to my garage and I'd be like - Damn - I shoulda got the Benz. And the convertible...lol...take that bad boy out on the road with the top up and see if you can hear yourself talk over the traffic around you - I don't think so - save for the SL or go home at that point.

Lexus SC430: Tic-tac on wheels - I'm 6'3" - Id' need a sunroof just to drive it so I could stick my head out - great car for a hip Grandma.

Lexus LS430: Two of my friend's grandpas drive these - they're over 70 - I'm good thanks. Great car, but I'm not that old yet.

Audi: How on earth did this or the Phaeton even get into this forum??? C'mon - the BMW we can discuss, but leave the Lexus, VW's and Audi's out of this. The S4 and all are cool, but if you're in THAT market at least buy an M3.

S-Class: An S430 base with nothing is the same price as a loaded CLS. S430 is cool and all - but again, I'm too young for this car even if I throw 21's on it and tune it. A CL or SL is a car to drive - an S is a car to be driven in – I don’t want a chauffer – if I did, I’d buy a Maybach (I might rethink this if Mercedes kicks *** with the next body overhaul of the S.)

SL: This is definitely not a “grocery getter” - because you can't fit a bag of Doritos in the damn thing let alone a bag of groceries. I must admit I love the car, driven it before, even thought of buying one. Problem is I get closterphobic every time I'm in it and I feel too young for it - here again though, I live in L.A. so every other 40-year old with a mid life crisis is driving them - they're just too common – were very cool the first 6 months they were out and they are still great cars, but just not for me or for my needs. (And to Wildcat – no offense on this because at least you can afford this car as most people can’t, but if you actually spent 140k on a red V12, you need to trade that puppy in for an Bentley GT as you have been thinking - or give your wife the red one. The car is cool and all, but when you get up to those numbers and you wanna get a great sports car, I'd be in the Bentley GT or the Ferrari 360 or F430 and spend the extra 30k - why skimp? And personally, the only new car that’s not a classic that should be sold in fire-engine red is a Ferrari or a Dodge – but again, that’s just my opinion)

CL: Great car! Long overdue for a body change and this will be my next car for sure assuming Mercedes doesn't ruin it with a bad body makeover. Good call Wildcat – this car and the SL both have their place.

CLK: No. Period.

CLS: Finally – the CLS. Here is my take on it - I have a silver/gray CLS500 w/ AMG sport kit, high-gloss wood, and every feature under the sun on order - don't have to take delivery on it if I don't want to, but it's on it's way and after visiting the dealership again today, I'm gonna take delivery on it and LOVE IT. I am 29 years old and the CLS is by far and I mean BY FAR the "youngest" looking Mercedes on the market. Wildcat may be right in what he says - he is entitled to his opinion and for him, this is not a good car. He is older and he's more into the SL and CL - I would be too at that age and I will be - like I said, I love the CL - the interior and exterior is just dated to me nowadays - they are a dime a dozen and the CL and S are the last of their breed with regard to past Mercedes interior styles. If there were a new CL that had a new interior/exterior style to it, I'd have it on order - no question. BUT, it's about $105k with decent options on it and that's about $30k more than the CLS. So, not to go in circles here, but FOR THE MONEY ($70-$75k) there is not a single car in the CLS market that can even come close to competing - the closest is an E. I currently have an E500 and I love it, but it's an E500 - even with the sport kit, it doesn't look that "young" to me. I even lowered it on 20 inch Lowenharts and it didn't change that a whole lot. Luxurious - yes. Love the black wood, the options, everything - but I just feel "older" in it and I hate the fact that I see 10 on the road every time I leave my house. Is the CLS a "glorified" E-Class? Maybe, but it is one mean looking beast that when lowered about an inch with 20 inch staggered Brabus or other aggressive rims will make heads turn like no other Benz can.

**BTW - GET THE SPORT KIT** - THIS CAR IS NIGHT AND DAY WITHOUT IT - WILDCAT IS CLOSER TO RIGHT ABOUT THE “GROCERY GETTER” STATEMENT WITHOUT THE SPORT KIT - MAKES ALL THE DIFFERENCE IN THE WORLD - OKAY WITHOUT IT - OUTRIGHT INTIMIDATING WITH IT. If you bought a regular CLS, you may have actually made a good decision. I believe it is cheaper to have your body shop order the front bumper, rear bumper, side skirts and fog lamps and have them installed aftermarket than the $4900 AMG package. You do not need the "button" shifters on the steering wheel unless you ordered a CLS55 - trust me. And you can get the wood trim kit without ordering an $1,800 steering wheel. Kicking myself for not doing this right now.

So to recap - CL, SL - great cars. If you’re “young” or “young at heart” and you like more room than an SL, more of a modern look than the CL and you like getting all the attention when you’re out (optional) – the CLS is THE ONLY CAR for the price my friend. I was the first one to post the pics on this site of the CLS500 sport in Newport and I literally drooled over this car for an hour and a half that night in the showroom. If any of you have not seen a CLS500 with the AMG sport kit in person, you are in for a true treat – it is an obscene car.

A little too much money for a car that shares the E platform? That’s up to everyone as an individual to answer for themselves. If you can’t afford it, don’t buy it – get an E. But I for one have no problem paying $10k more than the $67k I paid for my E500 to have something that looks meaner and better than my E, drives as good or better and has limited production – finally a younger looking luxury sports car with true “style”. Something BMW, Audi and Lexus have tried to do in the past, but not done to date.

Bring on the rebuttals...LOL. Here's my response to all of them
Old 01-30-2005 | 09:35 PM

SL550
John87699 --- We're basically in the same boat on this one. I'm 26 and the S-Class, 7-Series, A8, etc. are big luxury cars in which I feel out of place at that age. I don't need that much space. I was at the Mannheim auction the other day, and if I wanted a clean used S500, I could've picked one up for $35K. It's not about the economics or buying the car in this price class that performs the best --- to me it's about something new, unique, and with a style all its own. I'm bored by the big luxury sedans and find the CLS to be refreshing. I could get a CL or SL instead, but I need 4 doors and the interesting options are limited. The CLS fit the bill for me, and if I don't like it, I'll sell it and move on to something else. Yet I doubt that'll be an issue.
Old 01-30-2005 | 10:50 PM

Amen. I was 27 when I got my E500 - I wish they'd had the CLS then - I know exactly how you feel.
Old 01-30-2005 | 11:22 PM

2007 CL600
Since when is 38 old?

Here is a serious question: How many of you considering the CLS have driven one?

All I can reinforce is that if you love the way a CLS looks and can afford it, best of luck.

Since when is a four door young guy's car?

Since when is an SL600 an old guys car? I don't get it. I guess that I just need to go back to the SL or CL forums instead of trying to help. I know that it's time for me to go when someone says that they'd rather have a CLS over a 745

BTW, what's dated about the CL's interior? Is it the Standard DVD Nav or the very cool distronic display, or the wood steering wheel. Perhaps it's the V600 phone that even takes pictures? or is it voice Command and phone? Perhaps in the Heated/Ventilated seats with massage. Perhaps it all that 70s wood paneling. I really need to know so can identify a dated interior on my next car. Please help!

The CLS is just new with no improvement. No has yet to mention how good of a performer it is. All anyone has said is "I like the way it looks, it's so pretty."

john87699, have you driven the Bentley GT? I had a loaner overnight when I viewed it as a serious contender. The SL is better. The GT is a fabulous car, and as I said, there may be one in my future when the CL lease is up, but my wife preferred the Benz (so did I) and I would deny her (or myself) nothing. She needed hardtop Convertible in Red and 12 cyl was a bonus. Besides more loaded standard options than the Bentley. The CL is a great daily driver; however, the SL with stone interior is, at least in my home, a grocery getter in the sense that we eat out often.

Last edited by WIldcat465; 01-31-2005 at 12:24 AM.
Old 01-30-2005 | 11:54 PM

How bout you just own them both.....or all......
I ordered my 55 because I like it and - I CAN
Old 01-31-2005 | 12:25 AM

2007 CL600
Originally Posted by 05CL55
That's the best idea that I heard all day. You're smarter than all of us.
Old 01-31-2005 | 02:34 AM

CLS55
i drove the CLS and think it drives much better than the S class. my father is an MB fanatic and has had MBs ever since i can remember. he currently has a '01 S500 and i think that his car drives like a boat when compared to any BMW. i have owned 2 bmws and even a '98 S500 for a little while and feel that BMW has MB beat on anything i would care about.

but MB has the name and that is what most people go for. the styling is somewhat bland IMO (except for the SL and CLS).

when i drove the CLS, i was quite happy with its rigidness and firm feel. i haven't driven newer E models, but this car feels and rides much better than any previous E i ever drove.

the main thing to remember is that each person is entitled to their own opinions but its not fair for someone to bash the hell out of a car when there are tons of people who have them on order and will be happy with whatever they get. the CLS is a great car and will be a head turner for many years to come...no one looks twice at a taurus or even most jags for that matter.

everyone just needs to go drive the car and make their own decisions instead of going off someone's personal opinions on the car. good luck to all.
Old 01-31-2005 | 09:06 AM

04 M3, 05 R1
I vote for CLS. CLS is just hot. i like the CL, SL, and S too though.

but don't be talking about BMWs because those BMWs are fugly. I saw pics of face-lifted 7 the other day and u know what it reminded me of?? hyundai. the 6? i won't even go there. only bmw that are worth of getting is 3 series line up, and most of all, the all mighty M3. other than that, they are garbage.
Old 01-31-2005 | 12:27 PM

CLS 350 and R230
This is a question only an "old" guy can place...At least, a 4-door-COUPÉ is a young guy´s car...

Btw, can you tell me what´s the correct designation of the SL´s "lollipop"-red?
Is it a designo-color?
Old 01-31-2005 | 01:49 PM

2010 599 HGTE, 2009 LP560-4, 2010 Range Rover Sport SC
john87699 , Great Post!! Thanks for taking the time. i feel 100% the same on all your great points, just couldnt muster the time to put it all down!

on saturday i was chased down 5 times, literally, people blaring horns and pulling up to me with their windows down (its freezing in chicago BTW) asking me about the car and saying how nice it looked. in fact, one couple was in a new CL55, and one lady in a new CLK 55, both really liked the car. i also stopped by the Lexus dealer to have my girl bring home the Lex that was in for routine maintenance (the only maintenance Lexus ever needs), the whole showroom cleared out, customers and salesman, to come outside and gawk at the CLS. i thought they were going to kick me out for stealing sales, but even the Lexus salesman were really impressed, and flooded me with compliments!!
Old 01-31-2005 | 01:51 PM

05CL55, will u adopt me?? im house broken and all!
Old 01-31-2005 | 03:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL-500 (mine), Ferrari Spider convertible (was Husbands, mine now!)
My two cents
To me it is all about status......In the 4-door world.
C & E class cars are all over the place.
S class cars are "mostly" driven by older folks.
I see this as a youthful, sexy passenger car that will turn heads.
Sorry guys performance takes a back seat for me. Luxury and style are what
matters most. :p
Old 01-31-2005 | 04:31 PM
Almost a Member!

08 S550v4 sport pkg, 07 BMW M6 converti, 07 CL550 Sport pkg
Originally Posted by 05CL55

Same thing here!!! i have a CL, S, G, M5, and i have had the Bently GT (one month), 360 (for a summer), 760bmw (so many problems i fought with bmw and got atlease 4 months of payments on the arm!(No charge) it was to the point where bmw would accept my car for service! so i just had it towed in every other time (when it's towed in they have to accept it) i just like the way she (CLS55) looks. and no i didn't test drive the car but who cares i like it and thats that!
Old 01-31-2005 | 06:11 PM

2007 CL600
This is a question only an "old" guy can place...At least, a 4-door-COUPÉ is a young guy´s car...

Btw, can you tell me what´s the correct designation of the SL´s "lollipop"-red?
Is it a designo-color?
Mars Red. No it's not a designo color. You don't see it alot. I love it and it sure beats the standard ubiquitous black and silver. I posted a pic of my SL on this thread if you need to see the color and the thread entitled Mars Red anyone? in the SL section
Old 01-31-2005 | 06:13 PM

2007 CL600
Originally Posted by Natalie
My two cents
To me it is all about status......In the 4-door world.
C & E class cars are all over the place.
S class cars are "mostly" driven by older folks.
I see this as a youthful, sexy passenger car that will turn heads.
Sorry guys performance takes a back seat for me. Luxury and style are what
matters most. :p
Luxury and style are what matters most until you try to get on the freeway into traffic moving 80 mph.

How about a balance between luxury and power. To me the CLS lacked the luxury. As I said, if felt like a C-class. Not that there's anything wrong with a C, but a C is not $70k.

How many of you would take CLS over an S-500 if price were not an object? Also, there have been some spy photos of the new S. If the new S looks like the spy photos, then which car would you take? For me, I'd take the S in it's current form over the CLS anyday.

Last edited by WIldcat465; 01-31-2005 at 06:16 PM.
Old 01-31-2005 | 06:22 PM

i could have bought an S, a 7 series, even an SL 500, but, i bought the CLS, based on looks. the new S is slick, but looks to Maybachish, still looks a little old timer to me too, although its a massive and much needed improvement over the current S. the CLS is about the sportiest 4 door out there (even though they call it a coupe)...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: A Piece Of Crap