Oil Catch Can setup for M256 engine

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-01-2022, 02:19 AM

Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts
2019 CLS450 (C257)
Oil Catch Can setup for M256 engine

Hi guys,

I’ve noticed oil residue in the turbo inlet pipe and turbo compressor after few months of driving and this is caused by the oil vapor return pipes from the air/oil separator on top of the engine. Likely have oil residue in the intake manifold as well.

As i have done an oil catch tank setup in my previous C with great benefits (dry intake and no chipping of the compressor wheel fins), I have decided to attempt the same for the CLS.

So sharing some info as i will be installing a pair of oil catch tanks to the M256 engine setup (see attached pic)

First tank will take over the existing wide open ventilation setup and will be vented to atmosphere. (yes i know, bad for environment. Those concerned can route back to intake)

The cast turbo inlet holes (2 holes) and the charge pipe (1 nipple) needs to be capped. In the interim, i will use a metal plate with liquid gasket to seal the turbo inlet holes first, while i am making a new custom 3” inlet housing/flange. This housing will pair with a new 4” intake system.

Second tank will be connected inline of the partial load breathing hose (so its “pressurized”)

happy to discuss further with the experts here if there can be other alternative routing or setup.

Cheers.

Last edited by dagger22; 11-02-2022 at 06:43 AM.
Old 11-02-2022, 06:45 AM

2019 CLS450 (C257)
Here’s the latest updated schematics for the M256 oil catch tanks setup after the actual works are done.

Red box 1 (item 50) - existing wide open throttle ventilation hose set is removed. We route from the oil separator large port to a single inlet port OCT with VTA filter. Existing holes on turbo inlet pipe and charge pipe are plugged.

Red box 2 (item 150) - existing hose is removed, bottom tee is removed and plugged (circled orange) as this line is connected to item 200 for fuel vapor purging.

Red box 3 (item 100) - existing hose is removed. Plug OCT inlet hose to the top oil separator small port. At bottom connector remove the original hose and plug a new hose (circled blue) which will route to the OCT outlet port.

Please see the updated schmatics.
Will share photos later on.

The following users liked this post:
Belal (01-19-2024)
Old 11-03-2022, 01:00 PM

2019 CLS450 (C257)
below is the final routing with the oil catch tanks.

car started with no issues, will drive around and see if any issues down the road and will check back to see if there will be any further oil stains on the turbo inlet pipe.

cheers.
Old 11-03-2022, 01:20 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,936 Likes on 3,099 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by dagger22
Hi guys,

I’ve noticed oil residue in the turbo inlet pipe and turbo compressor after few months of driving and this is caused by the oil vapor return pipes from the air/oil separator on top of the engine. Likely have oil residue in the intake manifold as well.

As i have done an oil catch tank setup in my previous C with great benefits (dry intake and no chipping of the compressor wheel fins), I have decided to attempt the same for the CLS.

So sharing some info as i will be installing a pair of oil catch tanks to the M256 engine setup (see attached pic)

First tank will take over the existing wide open ventilation setup and will be vented to atmosphere. (yes i know, bad for environment. Those concerned can route back to intake)

The cast turbo inlet holes (2 holes) and the charge pipe (1 nipple) needs to be capped. In the interim, i will use a metal plate with liquid gasket to seal the turbo inlet holes first, while i am making a new custom 3” inlet housing/flange. This housing will pair with a new 4” intake system.

Second tank will be connected inline of the partial load breathing hose (so its “pressurized”)

happy to discuss further with the experts here if there can be other alternative routing or setup.

Cheers.
Interesting thread. M177 V8 seems to be developing a reputation for rear main oil seal failure due to excessive crankcase pressure from failed oil-vapor separators.

Catch cans, while potentially effective, are a band aid for junk MB engine design.
The following 2 users liked this post by chassis:
dagger22 (11-04-2022), juanmor40 (01-21-2024)
Old 01-19-2024, 11:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 E550 4MATIC / 2019 E53 4MATIC
question, does VTA make the car run worse? I saw many people writing that by doing so the air intake will have less pressure and will run ruff and lean, causing less horsepower, also it would be nice if you were able to make a video on insta or YT showing how it was done, because you are the first person from what I have seen to make a catch can for this engine. also what do you think of the weistec VTA
thank you for your input
Old 01-23-2024, 09:59 PM

2019 CLS450 (C257)
Originally Posted by Belal
question, does VTA make the car run worse? I saw many people writing that by doing so the air intake will have less pressure and will run ruff and lean, causing less horsepower, also it would be nice if you were able to make a video on insta or YT showing how it was done, because you are the first person from what I have seen to make a catch can for this engine. also what do you think of the weistec VTA
thank you for your input
The VTA should not make the car run "worse" or cause less power.
Our mercs run on MAP and not MAF, so going VTA doesnt cause the lean condition.

Here is another thread where VTA was discussed and different school of thoughts: https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-c63s-...rformance.html

Am currently using GFB's newer DV+ for Mercedes: https://gfb.com.au/products/blow-off...-applications/

Last edited by dagger22; 01-23-2024 at 10:13 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Belal (01-24-2024)