2008 G55, 2012 C63 BS
What is edition 1?

Can't find information on what makes the car edition 1
Is it a limited number of cars?
What makes them different?
and are the Edition 1 sold out?
Thank you
JV

Last edited by G55AMG; 02-22-2015 at 05:46 PM.
Old 03-16-2015, 09:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Originally Posted by G55AMG
Can't find information on what makes the car edition 1
Is it a limited number of cars?
What makes them different?
and are the Edition 1 sold out?
Thank you
JV
The Edition 1 is a limited production car but not super rare like past Black Series models for example. Almost every dealer in the US will get one. US Edition 1's are only available in an exclusive gunmetal pearl greyish color. They also come with a carbon fiber roof which is not available on any other model. An exclusive aero package including a larger fixed rear wing. The interior is also an exclusive color combination only avaialable on the Edition 1. They will also hit showrooms about six weeks before non Edition 1 cars.

There are a few Edition 1's still available.

Last edited by jrcart; 03-17-2015 at 09:02 PM.
Old 03-17-2015, 03:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 G55, 2012 C63 BS
Thank you Jrcart
You allready answer my question at the AMG lounge forum.
I'm getting an AMG GT S, but I'm still on the fence about getting the Editon 1 or getting one with ceramic brakes and matte color exterior.
Old 03-17-2015, 09:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by G55AMG
Thank you Jrcart
You allready answer my question at the AMG lounge forum.
I'm getting an AMG GT S, but I'm still on the fence about getting the Editon 1 or getting one with ceramic brakes and matte color exterior.
Oh, I didn't realize that was you. Yes AMG messed up by not including carbon ceramic brakes on the Edition 1. I want the cf roof and exclusive aero package and carbon ceramic brakes so the easiest way to do that is with an Edition 1 and add the brakes after I take delivery. It is a very simple upgrade and not much more expensive than paying for them as a factory option.
Old 03-17-2015, 09:36 PM

2008 G55, 2012 C63 BS
Originally Posted by jrcart
Oh, I didn't realize that was you. Yes AMG messed up by not including carbon ceramic brakes on the Edition 1. I want the cf roof and exclusive aero package and carbon ceramic brakes so the easiest way to do that is with an Edition 1 and add the brakes after I take delivery. It is a very simple upgrade and not much more expensive than paying for them as a factory option.
I might do the same, if I do, I will need parts numbers from you.
JV
Old 03-18-2015, 03:40 PM

Mercedes Benz GLK350 2012
The Edition 1 is a limited production car but not super rare like past Black Series models for example. Almost every dealer in the US will get one. US Edition 1's are only available in an exclusive gunmetal pearl greyish color. They also come with a carbon fiber roof which is not available on any other model. An exclusive aero package including a larger fixed rear wing. The interior is also an exclusive color combination only avaialable on the Edition 1. They will also hit showrooms about six weeks before non Edition 1 cars.

There are a few Edition 1's still available.
FYI, that color is Selenite Grey

I also thing the carbon ceramic brakes are a must if you're going to drive hard/track the car!
Old 03-19-2015, 09:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2018 Mclaren 720s, 2021 Aston Martin DBX
The Porsche track guys switch their ceramic rotors to steel since the ceramic replacement costs (a $9,000 option) are multiple times than those of the steel. The ceramics are good for no brake dust and no fading.

At the Amelia Island Concours, they had a red, a blue and a matte silver. The red was missing for the pic.
Attached Thumbnails What is edition 1?-img_3020.jpg  
Old 03-21-2015, 10:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
'15 T&C & '14 SL63
Is Selenite Grey a magno / matte finish?
Old 03-21-2015, 04:04 PM

2008 G55, 2012 C63 BS
Deposit is in, I'm getting an Edition 1
Now I just have to wait until mid April
Old 03-23-2015, 10:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ima55r2
The Porsche track guys switch their ceramic rotors to steel since the ceramic replacement costs (a $9,000 option) are multiple times than those of the steel. The ceramics are good for no brake dust and no fading.
Why would they change over to steel? The ceramic rotors will last four times longer than steel rotors. At that point it's almost a wash once you factor in the cost of four sets of steel rotors and labor for four brake jobs, not to mention the weight and performance advantages of the ceramics. I guess there are some Porsche guys living above their means lol.
Old 03-23-2015, 10:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by nycphotography
Is Selenite Grey a magno / matte finish?
It is not a matte finish. I saw it in person at the auto show, it is a nice deep rich metallic grey, lots of metallic and might even have some pearl in it. I am not usually a dark grey car guy but the color is nice, at least uner the flourescent lights of the auto show it was.
Old 03-24-2015, 12:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL63
Why would they change over to steel? The ceramic rotors will last four times longer than steel rotors. At that point it's almost a wash once you factor in the cost of four sets of steel rotors and labor for four brake jobs, not to mention the weight and performance advantages of the ceramics. I guess there are some Porsche guys living above their means lol.
It's not that, it's because the carbon ceramic rotors are fragile. They can chip and break if a rock hits them for example. Stuff like that is not covered by warranty. The performance benefit is very small so they just take them off and use steel ones.
Old 03-24-2015, 09:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by JumpinJim
It's not that, it's because the carbon ceramic rotors are fragile. They can chip and break if a rock hits them for example. Stuff like that is not covered by warranty. The performance benefit is very small so they just take them off and use steel ones.
The performance advantages is big imo. I tracked my C BS with both the stock steel rotors and ceramics and the difference was noticable. I put them on my C BS specifically for track duty. To each his own I suppose, you are talking about something like $1000 difference once you factor in the fact that the rotors will last four times longer. I suppose $1000-$2000 is a lot of money to some people but I would that it is not a lot to a Pcar owner that can afford a car that comes with ceramics. The Steel rotors will run almost $2000 a set and you can chew through a set in a single weekend. My ceramics lasted five weekends and a couple thousand street miles and they are still in spec and on the car, the ceramics could prove to be a better value depending how long these rotors last me.
Old 03-25-2015, 02:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL63
The performance advantages is big imo. I tracked my C BS with both the stock steel rotors and ceramics and the difference was noticable. I put them on my C BS specifically for track duty. To each his own I suppose, you are talking about something like $1000 difference once you factor in the fact that the rotors will last four times longer. I suppose $1000-$2000 is a lot of money to some people but I would that it is not a lot to a Pcar owner that can afford a car that comes with ceramics. The Steel rotors will run almost $2000 a set and you can chew through a set in a single weekend. My ceramics lasted five weekends and a couple thousand street miles and they are still in spec and on the car, the ceramics could prove to be a better value depending how long these rotors last me.

Also consider that if a rotor breaks on you there's collateral damage that could happen; pads, calipers, wheels, suspension, loss of control of the car. Unless you're carrying around extra rotors then you're done for the weekend either way. On a much lighter car the ceramics would have diminishing returns. Even the C BS is a very heavy car by track car standards. It's pretty common for steels to be swapped in and not just on P cars. It's not just a money thing, but to some I'm sure it is. The heavy track guys who could drive their favorite track blindfolded don't burn up brakes like the more novice guys do. It's some state of car/track zen. Must be nice. Every time I go out seems all I learn is there's a whole lot more to learn.