Opinion- Keep MY 991 TTS or try the GTS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-30-2016, 09:38 PM
Gsc

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2014 S550, 2014 Porsche Turbo S, 2013 Bentley GT Speed W12
Opinion- Keep MY 991 TTS or try the GTS

Debating if I should keep my 991.1 TTS with Stage 1 upgrades or move onto the AMG GT-S. Love the TTS but the speed is not rally usable where I live in Central NJ. Anyone chime in?
Old 07-30-2016, 11:55 PM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
I've had quite a bit of Porsches jag ftype etc..the gts is unique in that it feels very special/different to drive...has an exotic feel to it..that's what I like about it most..besides the obvious power handling etc, feels wide/low and unique..
Old 07-31-2016, 02:16 AM

Received 245 Likes on 152 Posts
Designo White AMG GTS
I had a 997.2 GT3 for five years. Loved that car.

However, I don't really go to the track anymore and the construction and traffic in the city has become unbearable. This was the primary reason I got rid of the Porsche for the GTS. For whatever reason, I feel like I can enjoy the GTS even when I'm cruising around moreso than I did with the Porsche. I think you'd be pleasantly surprised with the performance also. A GTS with a tune will probably give you 95% of the performance of the stage 1 turbo.

Last edited by kumizi; 07-31-2016 at 02:19 AM.
Old 08-01-2016, 03:00 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2016 AMG GTS, 2015 GLA45 AMG
I just traded in my 2014 991 TT for a GTS. The turbo was two years old with 20,000 miles and my wife wanted something that rode a bit smoother and was a bit easier to get in and out of. The GTS does drive very differently. It's a much more visceral car and the exhaust sound is awesome. The steering is very precise and super responsive, much more so than the 991. The 991 cabin is somewhat roomier than the GTS and you need to get used to the close quarters in the GTS as well as the very long hood. The ergonomics an instrument layout in the GTS or superb as are those in the 991. The GTS seats are a quite a bit firmer than the 991 seats, however after a few weeks I'm completely happy with them. Surprisingly the GTS is a bit easier to get in and out of then the 991.The GTS in comfort mode is definitely more comfortable to drive than the 991 especially in my area on Long Island where the roads are poor. Overall I am very happy with the GTS even though it is a completely different driving experience then the 991. The 991 is an awesome every day supercar, however after coming out of the GTS and hopping into the 991 it seems almost boring except for the awesome speed that the 991 brings to the table. I hope this helps you.

Oh I almost forgot, the GTS is much rarer then the 991TT so it feels a bit more special to me. I'm on the north shore of Long Island and I have yet to see another GTS. I've always liked to have something a bit different then the masses.

Last edited by fixinbones; 08-01-2016 at 03:04 PM.
Old 08-01-2016, 03:07 PM
Gsc

Jay-

Thanks for the feedback. I use to live on Long Island and now live in NJ, so I can relate to your comments in this post. May I ask did you trade in the Turbo to the dealer or do a private sale? How is the power compared to the Turbo? DO you daily drive your car?
Old 08-01-2016, 03:30 PM
Administrator

Received 798 Likes on 497 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Here is my perspective:

I had a 14 TT-S (dumped it for a 458) and then got the GTS and now I also have a 16 TT-S.

Looks: arguable but the GTS is more unique while the 991 is good ole faithful not setting the world on fire visually but still an eye catcher.

Chassis/Handling: The GTS is shockingly great with a 47/53% weight bias and launches better than any RWD car Ive ever owned except for my previous 991 GT3. The TT-S is as expected, grippy with AWD and limited yaw in bends and turns. While I feel very confident in the GTS- I think I am even more confident with the TT-S. Both cars can turn great track times in short routes and tracks with longer straights. The PDCC and rear wheel steering in the TT-S are superb technology handling items which might give my nod to the TT-S. The AWD just makes it so easy and in the wet there is no question whats better. My tuned GTS is already a slippery ride in the dry with its high tq rating.

Steering: The GTS has pin point almost perfect steering, I love it. The P car is good but probably has just a hint more of understeer. Of course I can power out of it at any given moment so its not an issue or as much as an issue as the steering feel in my Huracan.

Interior: The GTS is more modern but the Porsche feels like a cockpit begging to be driven. The longer nose of the GTS can make some feel a bit less than 100% aggressive while the TT-S is go kart style feeling. The electronics favor the GTS but I have zero issues with what the TT-S brings to the table. The P car has a smaller screen and is less advanced but these things don't bother me as much. I think the GTS is better here and it should be over the TT-S (versions 14-16).

Sound: No question, the GTS sound better with its amazing 4.0 hot V. It has all the pops and burbles along with battleship fires thru the gears. The TT-S needs an exhaust IMHO and I have a catless set up now which makes it very formidable in sound. But of course I had to mod it to get it that way.

Speed/Quickness: The TT-S can out launch the GTS all day every day with repeated 2.6 to 2.7 zero to 60 romps. From a roll the cars might be a little closer in battle but the TT-S is the faster car up to triple digit speeds. The GTS doesn't suffer from AWD parasitic loss so a stock vs stock car would be a fun run to 150 mph. Their speed does come on different ways though. The GTS is very linear in its approach and the power feels consistent thru the rpms whereas the TT-S is explosive in nature, there is an ever so slight lag in gears and then baaaaaaaam the tq and hp hits and the car just moves. I like both feelings

Honestly you cant go wrong with either. I personally feel like the Porsche is better made as it has less creaks and the fit/finish is better. The GTS is my favorite AMG Ive ever owned (had 9) and its an advanced improvement in driveability and handling over the previous cars I owned. I had the 14 TT-S for a short period so I wanted to get another one. Im not adverse to another GTS either (to change colors ) Im not sure if you have driven the GTS yet so give it a test, but do more than one test drive and spread out the days so you can clear out any placebo feelings.

Last edited by Vic55; 08-01-2016 at 03:33 PM.
Old 08-01-2016, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Gsc
Jay-

Thanks for the feedback. I use to live on Long Island and now live in NJ, so I can relate to your comments in this post. May I ask did you trade in the Turbo to the dealer or do a private sale? How is the power compared to the Turbo? DO you daily drive your car?
I sold it back to the P dealer as that was the easiest and since I leased the GTS there was no reason to trade it to MB. I daily drive the cars. The TT is just a beast in the winter. I put Michelin pilot Alpins on the car and it was superb. I just got a jeep rubicon so now that I have am extra car I didn't have to worry about driving the GTS in the winter. If I didn't have the extra car I would have had second thoughts about the GTS here in NY.

VIC has pretty much nailed all the finer points of the two cars. Definitely take it for at least two test drives. The first time I drove it, it was so much different than the 991 that I wasnt sure that I really liked it. But after driving it a second time I was convinced that it would be great car.
Old 08-01-2016, 04:42 PM

Grocery shopping just after a snow storm
Old 08-01-2016, 05:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 86 Likes on 58 Posts
'22 G 63 AMG, '21 GLE 53 AMG, '20 NSX
I've had a number of Porsche turbo's and if you need the AWD for the elements it's hard to beat unless it's got locking diffs. There was a time when I'd race anything that moved off a stop light and I wished I had a porsche, but not my thing anymore as I do my addrenlin rushes on the sport car track.

The GTS is an easier car to drive at or near the limit on a circuit than the 991TTS unless you have a competition license. It is truely one of the best handling cars for mortals.
In my opinion it has more cachet as they're rare and I got two thumbs up in New Porsche Beach yesterday.
Never got a tumbs up in my porsche, in fact more often got flipped off. The fact I can get golf clubs in back sealed the deal for me and...Randy Pobst that it's the best handling car he's ever driven.
Old 08-01-2016, 06:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 97 Likes on 75 Posts
E55 AMG & C63 AMG
fixinbones... that's just awesome. Sick pic.
Old 08-02-2016, 10:52 PM

Received 245 Likes on 152 Posts
Designo White AMG GTS
Originally Posted by Jim Brady
I got two thumbs up in New Porsche Beach yesterday.
Never got a tumbs up in my porsche, in fact more often got flipped off.

I had similar experiences driving a Porsche in the South, especially the more rural areas.
Old 08-02-2016, 11:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMG GTS
Deleted at the behest of Porsche dude

Last edited by 2016AMGGTS; 08-03-2016 at 09:19 AM.
Old 08-03-2016, 08:47 AM
Gsc

Originally Posted by 2016AMGGTS
Do you like to tinker? Get the gts!!!!

Vehicle reliability is overrated. Quit being such a nerd bro! Do it. Do it!

I have read all of your posts and thanks for the wealth of information. If you could remove your post from my thread, it will be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-03-2016, 09:17 AM

AMG GTS
Originally Posted by Gsc
I have read all of your posts and thanks for the wealth of information. If you could remove your post from my thread, it will be greatly appreciated.
Fine
Old 08-03-2016, 06:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 706 Likes on 535 Posts
R Nine T
Originally Posted by 2016AMGGTS
Fine
He asked you to remove your coolant pictures from his thread, not acquiesce.

AMG 16 You need to move on to another venue rather than polluting every thread.

For whatever it's worth I hope it all works out for you, but stop trying to corrupt other owners trying to enhance their own experience.
Old 08-03-2016, 11:05 PM

AMG GTS
I removed them. My pictures are in his reply. Why you so mean to me Dieter? I only want to be loved.

We cool brah? Wanna get a bucket of wings and watch some UFC together? I just wanna be... your friend.

Auf Wiedersehen my German bro!

Last edited by 2016AMGGTS; 08-03-2016 at 11:26 PM.
Old 08-04-2016, 07:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 167 Likes on 133 Posts
2021 Porsche TTS
Since this is a forum and you asked for feedback, here's y 2 cents even if I do not own either car (I had a 997S with boltons and have a GT on order).
Thanks to Vic, he was able to give you the perfect owner review.
What made me decide to get a GT rather than a GT3 or a TT is that multiple internet renown reviewers felt that the Mercedes made you feel "special" and felt that it was an occasion when you drove it.
This review sold me on the GT ( especially the end starting at 7:50). This guy should be on Top Gear lol.
Isn't it a great problem to have to decide between a TT and a GT?
Best of luck and post a picture of the new beast if you get one.
Old 08-10-2016, 10:30 AM
Gsc

I've yet to cut a deal yet because its getting hard to let go of the Porsche. The speed in the porsche is intoxicating and there is nothing outside of an R8 (closest $$ wise) will be close. We shall see!