Advice from anyone with 040 Black

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 04:56 AM
dre

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS55, Lexus RX350, Radical SR8
Advice from anyone with 040 Black

I'm in the process of choosing specs for GTR but unable to pick color. I prefer metallic black like Obsidian but not an option. I've narrowed it down to 3.

040 Black: love the deep black but worries scratches will show up too much

Magnetite Black: more greyish black but metallic so won't show up imperfections as much.

Thanks for for the input.
Old 03-15-2017, 08:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 706 Likes on 535 Posts
R Nine T
Originally Posted by dre
I'm in the process of choosing specs for GTR but unable to pick color. I prefer metallic black like Obsidian but not an option. I've narrowed it down to 3.

040 Black: love the deep black but worries scratches will show up too much

Magnetite Black: more greyish black but metallic so won't show up imperfections as much.

Thanks for for the input.
Black here. Installed suntek film over entire front clip. Smooth as glass, easy clean and self healing. Just have to find right installer.

Funny, I wanted obsidian as well.
Old 03-15-2017, 11:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 199 Likes on 167 Posts
Porsche guy who drives SL63 w/ perf pkg AND perf suspension
as far as Im concerned, black is black, its a pita to take care of. and you cant see the lines of the car
Old 03-15-2017, 12:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts
2010 E550 4M P2 Distronic, CLK550 Cab P2
I love the 040, and wish my current ride had it. Last 4 Benz were all black and 2 were 040. Preferred those over the Ob black.
Old 03-16-2017, 12:12 AM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
G63,GT
040 is much much deeper than the metallics (obsidian, magnetite, mocha, etc..) I've owned 2x 040 G-wagons, and honestly, its the best looking IF you keep up on it. Just be careful of the swirls and polish/wax or ceramic coat the heck out of it.

I also have a Designo diamond white metallic GT, and my wifes car is the plain polar white. Next to hers, mine almost looks "cream". I like it, but my preference would have been if they offered thr GT in polar/arctic white. Like the black, it just "pops' better.

I've seen every single GT color in person. While I'm partial to white... the magno Iridium Silver is my favorite. With the night package and black wheels, its stunning. Also, magno paints are a breeze to maintain! A bottle of chemical bros. matte detailer and your set. Just wipe it down a few times a week!
Old 03-16-2017, 07:56 AM
dre

Thanks for the input guys. I never thought about the magno paints but now that I've seen a few photos, they do look very nice. I've just heard that if you get a scratch you can't polish it out - will need respray.
Old 03-17-2017, 06:03 AM

Received 144 Likes on 75 Posts
AMG GT-S, AMG C43, GLK350, Nissan GT-R, 718 Cayman
Black here. Everyone who sees the car loves it. Very classic look. I passed on a magnetite black, and thought for a moment about magno colors because they do look beautiful, but when I found out how much of a pain it was to fix if you get a scratch, I bought black. Front clip fully covered in Xpel. Do that as soon as it leaves the showroom. I also had the rockers covered.
Old 03-17-2017, 05:41 PM
dre

Originally Posted by descartesfool
Black here. Everyone who sees the car loves it. Very classic look. I passed on a magnetite black, and thought for a moment about magno colors because they do look beautiful, but when I found out how much of a pain it was to fix if you get a scratch, I bought black. Front clip fully covered in Xpel. Do that as soon as it leaves the showroom. I also had the rockers covered.
Thanks. Yeah I'm planning to put Xpel around the whole car. So you've had no issues seeing swirls/scratches?
Old 03-17-2017, 08:43 PM

Received 144 Likes on 75 Posts
AMG GT-S, AMG C43, GLK350, Nissan GT-R, 718 Cayman
No issues with Xpel. I waited a few months to get it done, and that was a mistake as I ended up with a few rock chips that showed white primer below. Then small touch-up paint points by Xpel guys before they added the film still shows a bit through the film. Oh well.
Old 03-17-2017, 10:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R Nine T
Originally Posted by descartesfool
No issues with Xpel. I waited a few months to get it done, and that was a mistake as I ended up with a few rock chips that showed white primer below. Then small touch-up paint points by Xpel guys before they added the film still shows a bit through the film. Oh well.
Suntek lays flatter than xpel. Your choice.
Old 03-23-2017, 04:53 PM

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts
2021 Porsche 911 Turbo S Cpe (992); 2023 Taycan GTS sedan
Great question. I'm in the process of ordering a GT C in 040 black moving from an Edition 1 GT S in Selenite Gray (of course!), which is a great color. I thought about Selenite Gray Magno as it looks great in the recent videos (and SB ad) but I, too, worried about upkeep. Ordinarily, I don't like black on cars for the reason mentioned earlier by okbarnett. But after configuring one on the UK and Australian M-B sites (prices could be off because of V.A.T.), I thought black would look good. I just joined this forum - it's my one and only besides MB Advisors and AMG Private Lounge. I'll try to post more about my build soon over on the GT C thread started by Townshend on 12-25-16. I did a ton of work checking out codes (e.g., the UK GT C brochure) and just yesterday used the AMG GT C ordering guide, which I found elsewhere on this site (boykie thread started on 3-6-17 - USA GT C Roadster Dealer Ordering Guide). BTW. I love the GT S Coupe and wouldn't be trading if it were not for the appeal of the GT R bits like rear-wheel steering, electronically controlled differential, more HP (although I probably typically use about 150 HP except when I want to make a green left turn arrow 300 yards away) and the fact that it's a convertible because we live in Southern California. Let us know what you decide to order!
Old 03-24-2017, 08:27 PM
dre

I saw a photo of it in black and I'm sold. Thanks for the feedback guys.
Old 03-24-2017, 09:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R Nine T
Originally Posted by dre
Holy shot that's beautiful
Old 03-24-2017, 10:33 PM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
G63,GT
Originally Posted by dre
Holy.....
Old 04-28-2017, 11:41 AM

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
2017 AMG GT
I actually love my Magnetite Black car. It almost always looks dark grey. It kind of looks slate grey from a distance. When you get up close and look at the paint in the sun, there is lot of metallic flake. Sometimes it reflects some iridescent like colors.

I have black wheels and black gloss night pkg trim. Since the car looks grey, rather than black, there is just the right amount of contrast between the paint and black parts.