Coupe/Roadster
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Let's Talk About Maintenance...

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 05-01-2020, 04:48 AM

Received 536 Likes on 293 Posts
18 AMG GTC and 22 F150 Limited. Past owner 16 Maybach, 17 Brabus Smartcar, 06 Ford E150, and 22 G70
My car called for 40,000 mile fluid change in the ASSYST screen. On post 51 or 52 in this thread is the list of fluids you need. They are special.

I got one in amazon and the other in Lube Finders website.

Old 10-02-2020, 05:08 PM

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
GTS
Alex, Any chance you could post details on the muffler valve control circuit (electrical and vacuum)?
Old 10-04-2020, 08:25 AM

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
2018 AMT GT Roadster
Funny ... I paid 350 for a dealer oil change only to get a message 20 minutes later that my car oil was overfilled. I even started to smell the burning oil smell. brought is back the next day to have the oil level corrected ... good thing I paid the premium for a dealer oil change.
Old 10-04-2020, 09:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 411 Likes on 287 Posts
W463 G550 / C190 GTC //prev: W204 C63 507 / R170
Originally Posted by RSKDSK
Funny ... I paid 350 for a dealer oil change only to get a message 20 minutes later that my car oil was overfilled. I even started to smell the burning oil smell. brought is back the next day to have the oil level corrected ... good thing I paid the premium for a dealer oil change.
I only let one specific AMG tech, the most senior tech at my dealership, work on my cars.
And I pay $200CAD/USD150 for an oil change at a MB dealer. You can definitely negotiate.
Old 10-06-2020, 11:05 AM

Received 108 Likes on 71 Posts
2016 AMG GTS
Originally Posted by Katie22
Hi all. I recently changed both trans fluids on my GTC. With ONE of the two fluid fills you do the filling from the bottom of the transmission that calls for adapter in order to fill. I ended up making my own adapter which you can see in the picture. It is basically a rubber washer or test tube plug. It is 20MM outside diameter and 9mm inside diameter for the fill tube to pass through it. You simply insert the fill tube into fill port and the rubber stopper also goes into the hole so you can fill the trans without it running back out.
Hi Katie, I'm about to do this, found out that my used 2016 AMG GTS didn't get this service at 30k (its got 34k on it now). So I'm going to do the diff and trans.

The procedure looks to be

1) Drain the diff fluid
2) once drained, remove the fill plug and install the drain plug
3) fill the diff and re-install drain plug
4) run the car at idle for 1 minute
5) ensure its under 104F
6) refill unit fluid drips out (but avoid overfilling) and replace fill plug

7) drail the transmission fluid (ATF)
8) remove the fill plug
9) fill transmission with ATF with adapter
10) start engine and shift through several gears at ide speed. (not sure how you do this, I assume you'd have to accelerate to get into 2nd) did you go any higher than 2nd gear ?
11) read temperature until you get to 140F
12) remove fill adapter
13) allow access fluid to drain out until it just drips or is slow to drain
14) install fill plug

Old 10-12-2020, 11:32 AM

Received 142 Likes on 55 Posts
2016 AMG GT-S | 2016 Ferrari F12
Originally Posted by foooo
Alex, Any chance you could post details on the muffler valve control circuit (electrical and vacuum)?
See attached AMG Gateway Control Unit. The Exhaust solenoid is located at K/44 on the grid. It is Option Code U78
Attached Files
Old 10-12-2020, 11:36 AM

You should be good with the procedure you are describing. It is a very easy task. I would drive the car for a few miles, get it up to temp and then recheck the levels. From my experience with the Getrag DCT it needs a fluid change around 10,000-12,500mi and about every 30,000 after that. I have been through 3 fluid changes to date and noticed the dirtiest fluid at 12,500 miles. I assume this is due to the initial break-in from new gears and friction materials.
Old 10-12-2020, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by RSKDSK
I wouldn't be too hard on the dealership, these AMG GT cars are VERY precise with their fill level, it is easy even for a pro to overfill the reservoir.
The following users liked this post:
priceaction (12-27-2022)
Old 10-12-2020, 07:35 PM

2016 AMG GTS
Originally Posted by Alexfor8
You should be good with the procedure you are describing. It is a very easy task. I would drive the car for a few miles, get it up to temp and then recheck the levels. From my experience with the Getrag DCT it needs a fluid change around 10,000-12,500mi and about every 30,000 after that. I have been through 3 fluid changes to date and noticed the dirtiest fluid at 12,500 miles. I assume this is due to the initial break-in from new gears and friction materials.
thanks, ordered the fluids and I got a pressurized pump so should be good to go.
Old 02-08-2021, 09:50 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 S550 coupe and 2018 AMG GTR
Time for an oil change, no not a normal oil change. Notice in the procedure that you must drain the reservoir and then the drain plug and last the filter. Not difficult but different. The drain plug is a 6mm hex key

Do you have the part number for the drain stop plug?
Also how do you reset Assyst the reminder?

Last edited by sattman; 02-08-2021 at 11:38 AM. Reason: more questions
Old 02-08-2021, 05:02 PM

Received 443 Likes on 237 Posts
AMG GTR
Originally Posted by descartesfool
It's unusual that the brake bleed procedure does not provide the caliper bleed order sequence. Usually it's farthest caliper from master cylinder to closest, but some cars differ from that order. At least they provide the bleed screw tightening torque.
Hi,

Since 2 Lines go from the master cylinder to a ABS Block and all caliber has a single Line. Its no matter.

Kind Regards

Stenzel

Old 02-08-2021, 10:20 PM

2016 AMG GTS
Originally Posted by sattman
Do you have the part number for the drain stop plug?
Also how do you reset Assyst the reminder?
reset oil light, I use either the MBII scanner, the Vident Scanner or you can go the manual route (Haven't tried it) - https://erwinsalarda.com/how-to-rese...service-light/

Check year but I think they are all he same -oil drain plug -

https://www.mbonlineparts.com/oem-pa...QtMGwtdjgtZ2Fz

crush washer/gasket

https://www.mbonlineparts.com/oem-pa...QtMGwtdjgtZ2Fz

I have also considered just getting a magnetic plug and washers from ECS

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-mishimot...modp1415b~msh/

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-.../007603014106/

Last edited by realien; 02-08-2021 at 10:23 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by realien:
California John (02-08-2021), sattman (02-09-2021)
Old 04-22-2021, 06:27 AM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
2018 AMG GT S, 2016 E350, 2013 GLK350
Well said Alex! I have the time, skill and enjoy doing all the work on my Mercedes cars and BMW motorcycles. My wife loves her 2013 GLK350. I just sold my 2001 SL500 and am about to sell my 2016 E350. Finding good service information is a constant challenge with Mercedes. I was able to purchase a shop manual for my Sl500. I am starting to gather service information for my 2018 AMG GTS. Your posts are very, very helpful!

I second the request on brake maintenance. Both fluid flush as well as pad and rotor replacement.

Thanks again!

Dave
Old 05-23-2021, 09:56 AM

Received 288 Likes on 114 Posts
2007 S65 AMG-Sold, 2007 SL55 P030 - 2016 GL450 - - 2017 AMG GTS - Sold - 2015 AMG S65
Wiring diagrams...

I suppose I can start my introduction to this forum with a new thread. My name is Alex, as you can guess from my screen name. I live in North Dallas and am a tinkerer of cars. It has always interested me, when I get a new vehicle, to research the required/suggested maintenance.
Alex I'm reaching out to you to see if you can help guiding me via WIS/ASRA to the electric wiring diagram that deal with the engine oil temperature components.
I have just completed the install of a replacement engine in my 2017 GTS and the only issue I have right now is that my oil temperature gauge is not working it read -40F in the cluster (above the gearbox temp which is fine) I did replace the actual sensor element that screws into the engine.

I now suspect that I have a wiring issue between the in engine block sensor and gauge in the cluster so. For my W221 & R230 chassis car I have the hard copy ETM's books which makes it easier to find any wiring issues than going through all the WIS/ASRA stuff.

However if you have any input/guidance available I would like to hear from you.

Thanks

Old 05-23-2021, 06:32 PM

Received 96 Likes on 56 Posts
amg gtc 2020 bk

7 to 7.5 L /OIL.

"Instructions:
before you start changing the oil bring the AMG engine to operating temperature in neutral step on the gas in order to achieve the optimal oil temperature it's over 100 degrees before you turn off the engine let it run for at least 30 seconds in neutral driving program C then raise the vehicle to show you better we remove the underbody paneling however you don't need to as all components can be reached for the next steps be sure to wear the appropriate protective clothing the time starts now because after you turn off the engine you have a maximum of three minutes to drain the engine oil a helpful tool for a clean drain is a commercially available metal pipe once it's mounted remove the drain plug on the oil tank after about five minutes the oil has drained out you can install a new unused drain plug remove visible oil residue before inserting the plug next tighten the plug firmly to the lateral stop with brake cleaner now remove all remaining oil residue the plug must be absolutely watertight therefore at the end carry out a leak test by doing a visual inspection continue with the oil pan remove the drain plug with the sealing ring and let out the engine oil replace the used ceiling ring with a new one tighten the drain plug with the correct torque then clean the area now the oil filter is removed undo the screw lid so that the oil from the filter and housing can drain out replace the oil filter with a new unused filter remove the oil filter from the cover and replace the sealing ring bring on the new ceiling ring and fit the new oil filter into the screw cap then install the new filter and tighten it with the correct torque here pay attention to the fact that no oil residue remains and clean the housing the AMG GT is now ready for new engine oil lower the vehicle and pour in fresh oil make sure that no oil residue gets into the engine compartment or remains there once the container is filled measure the oil level again let the engine warm up once the ignition is off you have two minutes to check the oil level with a dipstick in the container and correct pull out the dipstick and wipe it with a lint free cloth once you've inserted the dipstick once again the oil level should be between the maximum and minimum marking here everything is okay as a leak check a visual inspection of the bottom of the vehicle should be carried out at the end in our case the oil filter change has been successfully completed the Mercedes-AMG GT is ready for the race track. "

Instructions: before you start changing the oil bring the AMG engine to operating temperature in neutral step on the gas in order to achieve the optimal oil temperature it's over 100 degrees before you turn off the engine let it run for at least 30 seconds in neutral driving program C then raise the vehicle to show you better we remove the underbody paneling however you don't need to as all components can be reached for the next steps be sure to wear the appropriate protective clothing the time starts now because after you turn off the engine you have a maximum of three minutes to drain the engine oil a helpful tool for a clean drain is a commercially available metal pipe once it's mounted remove the drain plug on the oil tank after about five minutes the oil has drained out you can install a new unused drain plug remove visible oil residue before inserting the plug next tighten the plug firmly to the lateral stop with brake cleaner now remove all remaining oil residue the plug must be absolutely watertight therefore at the end carry out a leak test by doing a visual inspection continue with the oil pan remove the drain plug with the sealing ring and let out the engine oil replace the used ceiling ring with a new one tighten the drain plug with the correct torque then clean the area now the oil filter is removed undo the screw lid so that the oil from the filter and housing can drain out replace the oil filter with a new unused filter remove the oil filter from the cover and replace the sealing ring bring on the new ceiling ring and fit the new oil filter into the screw cap then install the new filter and tighten it with the correct torque here pay attention to the fact that no oil residue remains and clean the housing the AMG GT is now ready for new engine oil lower the vehicle and pour in fresh oil make sure that no oil residue gets into the engine compartment or remains there once the container is filled measure the oil level again let the engine warm up once the ignition is off you have two minutes to check the oil level with a dipstick in the container and correct pull out the dipstick and wipe it with a lint free cloth once you've inserted the dipstick once again the oil level should be between the maximum and minimum marking here everything is okay as a leak check a visual inspection of the bottom of the vehicle should be carried out at the end in our case the oil filter change has been successfully completed the Mercedes-AMG GT is ready for the race track.

Last edited by mbjj57; 05-23-2021 at 06:44 PM.
Old 05-23-2021, 06:49 PM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
2018 AMG GT S, 2016 E350, 2013 GLK350
Originally Posted by mbjj57

7 to 7.5 L /OIL.

"Instructions:
before you start changing the oil bring the AMG engine to operating temperature in neutral step on the gas in order to achieve the optimal oil temperature it's over 100 degrees before you turn off the engine let it run for at least 30 seconds in neutral driving program C then raise the vehicle to show you better we remove the underbody paneling however you don't need to as all components can be reached for the next steps be sure to wear the appropriate protective clothing the time starts now because after you turn off the engine you have a maximum of three minutes to drain the engine oil a helpful tool for a clean drain is a commercially available metal pipe once it's mounted remove the drain plug on the oil tank after about five minutes the oil has drained out you can install a new unused drain plug remove visible oil residue before inserting the plug next tighten the plug firmly to the lateral stop with brake cleaner now remove all remaining oil residue the plug must be absolutely watertight therefore at the end carry out a leak test by doing a visual inspection continue with the oil pan remove the drain plug with the sealing ring and let out the engine oil replace the used ceiling ring with a new one tighten the drain plug with the correct torque then clean the area now the oil filter is removed undo the screw lid so that the oil from the filter and housing can drain out replace the oil filter with a new unused filter remove the oil filter from the cover and replace the sealing ring bring on the new ceiling ring and fit the new oil filter into the screw cap then install the new filter and tighten it with the correct torque here pay attention to the fact that no oil residue remains and clean the housing the AMG GT is now ready for new engine oil lower the vehicle and pour in fresh oil make sure that no oil residue gets into the engine compartment or remains there once the container is filled measure the oil level again let the engine warm up once the ignition is off you have two minutes to check the oil level with a dipstick in the container and correct pull out the dipstick and wipe it with a lint free cloth once you've inserted the dipstick once again the oil level should be between the maximum and minimum marking here everything is okay as a leak check a visual inspection of the bottom of the vehicle should be carried out at the end in our case the oil filter change has been successfully completed the Mercedes-AMG GT is ready for the race track. "

Instructions: before you start changing the oil bring the AMG engine to operating temperature in neutral step on the gas in order to achieve the optimal oil temperature it's over 100 degrees before you turn off the engine let it run for at least 30 seconds in neutral driving program C then raise the vehicle to show you better we remove the underbody paneling however you don't need to as all components can be reached for the next steps be sure to wear the appropriate protective clothing the time starts now because after you turn off the engine you have a maximum of three minutes to drain the engine oil a helpful tool for a clean drain is a commercially available metal pipe once it's mounted remove the drain plug on the oil tank after about five minutes the oil has drained out you can install a new unused drain plug remove visible oil residue before inserting the plug next tighten the plug firmly to the lateral stop with brake cleaner now remove all remaining oil residue the plug must be absolutely watertight therefore at the end carry out a leak test by doing a visual inspection continue with the oil pan remove the drain plug with the sealing ring and let out the engine oil replace the used ceiling ring with a new one tighten the drain plug with the correct torque then clean the area now the oil filter is removed undo the screw lid so that the oil from the filter and housing can drain out replace the oil filter with a new unused filter remove the oil filter from the cover and replace the sealing ring bring on the new ceiling ring and fit the new oil filter into the screw cap then install the new filter and tighten it with the correct torque here pay attention to the fact that no oil residue remains and clean the housing the AMG GT is now ready for new engine oil lower the vehicle and pour in fresh oil make sure that no oil residue gets into the engine compartment or remains there once the container is filled measure the oil level again let the engine warm up once the ignition is off you have two minutes to check the oil level with a dipstick in the container and correct pull out the dipstick and wipe it with a lint free cloth once you've inserted the dipstick once again the oil level should be between the maximum and minimum marking here everything is okay as a leak check a visual inspection of the bottom of the vehicle should be carried out at the end in our case the oil filter change has been successfully completed the Mercedes-AMG GT is ready for the race track.
Does anyone know the inside and outside diameter of the “commercially available pipe”?
Old 08-03-2021, 11:17 PM

Received 56 Likes on 29 Posts
2017 AMG GT
Transmission:
You will need about 10 Quarts total
-7.4 Quarts for the Transmission
-1 Quart for the Heat Exchanger
-1 Quart as excess over fill per filling procedure
Book calls for MB 236.25 ATF, or Shell TF DCT-F3 (impossible to find)
Ravenol DCT-F3 meets MB spec 236.25 (Amazon for ~$88 per 4 Liter)
I literally can’t find any of these three choices anywhere in stock. Am I missing something?
Old 08-04-2021, 01:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 700 Likes on 533 Posts
R Nine T
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...EV-q6_KP36VWub
Old 08-04-2021, 08:10 AM

2017 AMG GT
I saw that one last night but was hoping to avoid ordering from outside of the country but oh well I guess I’ll have to.
Old 08-04-2021, 09:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 700 Likes on 533 Posts
R Nine T
Originally Posted by Jezek
I saw that one last night but was hoping to avoid ordering from outside of the country but oh well I guess I’ll have to.
That’s how I bought it pre COVID!
JSwan724 (08-04-2021)
Old 08-04-2021, 10:05 AM

2017 AMG GT
Originally Posted by AMG 17GT
That’s how I bought it pre COVID!
Placed the order 👍🏼 Got the last two jugs according to the website.
AMG 17GT (08-04-2021)
Old 08-17-2021, 10:40 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
GTS Edition One, Cayenne Turbo, BRZ Turbo
Wow, this is a lot of good info! I have always done my own maintenance on all our vehicles but wasn't sure about the GTS I just bought. This description does make it easier than expected. However, without a lift I am not sure about 3 minute rule to drain the oil reservoir. Does anyone do this and have luck without using a lift?
Old 08-18-2021, 09:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 877 Likes on 452 Posts
Bentley Continental GT; AMG GT
Originally Posted by bluelt1ss
Wow, this is a lot of good info! I have always done my own maintenance on all our vehicles but wasn't sure about the GTS I just bought. This description does make it easier than expected. However, without a lift I am not sure about 3 minute rule to drain the oil reservoir. Does anyone do this and have luck without using a lift?

If you do not follow the 3 minute rule WITH oil temp at 100*C and pull the bottom plug to the oil tank and let the "oil rush" happen, then you'll trap about 1 qt. of old/dirty oil in the oil cooler and lines and NOT siphon it out as the design intended. In essence, that will give you an oil change with approximately 85% new oil blended with 15% old oil, unless, of course, it is overfilled too, then the dilution rate will be a little bit better....one of the few times when multiple mistakes probably have a little bit of good news.

And, BTW, I do it correctly W/O a lift. It just takes preparation and a good working plan before you start.
Old 08-18-2021, 11:18 PM

2017 AMG GT
Anyone use/using Motul gear 300 75w90 for the diff?
Old 08-19-2021, 12:01 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 S550 coupe and 2018 AMG GTR
deleted

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Let's Talk About Maintenance...