GTR TIRE REPLACEMENT PILOT SPORT CUP 2 MO

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-03-2019, 02:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 538 Likes on 337 Posts
2024 AMG G63
GTR TIRE REPLACEMENT PILOT SPORT CUP 2 MO

Well many of you guys have already been through the tire replacement experience.
As some of you know, if you aren’t careful and paying attention to detail it will cost you more and you may end up with the wrong tires and tire compound.

2018 MB AMG GTR TIRE FACTORY SPECS (Manufacture Original aka MO designation).

FRONT: 275/35R19 100(Y) SKU: 33112 PN: BQ8401629
REAR: 325/30R20 106(Y) SKU: 84035 PN: BQ8401630

Some general guidance that I have learned on this journey so far;

1. Your dealer will sell you the tires you need BUT, YOU need to be aware of the subtile differences in what seem to be the same tires.

2. Your dealer will price match BUT only on MO tires. So, if you go to the various tire shops either online or in person, to get comparative prices quotes the quotes you must have need to be for correct size, brand, and MO designated tires. Any other estimates you obtain won’t be accepted and will only frustrate you.

3. In the case of the Michelin Sport Cup Tires, I am nearly positive that the compounds developed for the GTR, Porsche, Corvette, Ferrari, Austin Martin are all to their respective factory specs.

4. Common Denominator to use for ensuring “apples to apples” comparisons is, subject to correction here the SKU NUMBER from MICHELIN.

5. Be very sure to check the tire manufacture dates. Understand how the coding works and check your tire dates before install.

6. INVENTORY IS VERY LIMITED - At the dealers, their distributors and at the tire dealers and their distributers. With no information about when the next batches will show up. Maybe the new Corvettes are taking all of the manufacturing capacity.j

7. Make sure you are doing a tire cost to tire cost comparison. Price differences can be $300 - $500 per set. Add ons will vary from store to store.

Be sure to go over your car with the service guy and take pictures of the car and of each rim. This will prevent the after install debate of “that scrape and/or rim rash was there when you brought the car in.”

FWIW: I am a big fan of a full 4 wheel align when all tires are being replaced.

FUN STUFF!!

In my opinion, this exercise is becoming more and more like purchasing a car.
The informed customer gets exactly what he wants at a price he is willing to pay WITHOUT the unnecessary extras.
I am currently waiting on a inbound set from that is under 4 months old (manufacture to install).

Regards

Jerry

Last edited by JSwan724; 08-04-2019 at 09:19 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by JSwan724:
California John (08-04-2019), ChargedMB (08-03-2019), Orcbolg (08-03-2019), thebishman (08-03-2019)
Old 08-03-2019, 02:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 695 Likes on 438 Posts
AMG
Good info here.

I personally wouldn't buy my tires from the dealership, but then again I use a company that comes to my house/work to install, and I can then inspect everything prior, they take before and after pictures, and I can watch them if I want to, so it's a little bit different.
Old 08-03-2019, 06:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 AMG G63
Originally Posted by Orcbolg
Good info here.

I personally wouldn't buy my tires from the dealership, but then again I use a company that comes to my house/work to install, and I can then inspect everything prior, they take before and after pictures, and I can watch them if I want to, so it's a little bit different.

I understand.

But be sure you are getting the right tires for your car. There are 3-4 different SP2 tires and the speed ratings are different as well as the tire compound.
Old 08-03-2019, 07:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Originally Posted by JSwan724
I understand.

But be sure you are getting the right tires for your car. There are 3-4 different SP2 tires and the speed ratings are different as well as the tire compound.
Definitely, though I went with PS 4S because I daily the car.
The following users liked this post:
thebishman (08-04-2019)
Old 08-04-2019, 07:34 AM

Received 259 Likes on 141 Posts
AMG GT R Pro
How are they? Notice a difference over stock while daily? You track them at all!
Old 08-04-2019, 10:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Originally Posted by jn66
How are they? Notice a difference over stock while daily? You track them at all!
There is a definitive difference over the Super Sports when launching, and more confidence at speed in the corners. I was able to get my 0-60 from a best on the SS of 4.01, down to 3.59 on the 4S, and I haven't installed the tune yet. Keep in mind though, I bumped up to 305s (only because the 4S doesn't come in 315 for the GTS). I haven't tried them in the rain yet.
Old 08-04-2019, 04:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 360 Likes on 206 Posts
2022 AMG SL63
I have a GTC Vert. After almost 6,000 miles I changed the tires. Wearing out in some areas. Factory was Contis. I went with PS 4S due to good reviews and having had good experience with the PS 4 in my earlier GTS. Although I didn't buy the tires at the dealership, the service manager thought that because of the uneven wear I had on the tires that my alignment was bad. He wanted $400 to align the car another dealer wanted $179....both AMG centers. Guess where I went? The car's alignment was fine really - just slightly out. If anyone wants I can post the factory alignment sheet befores and afters. I got a couple more mph exiting my favorite off ramp with the Michelins...but because there really wasn't too much of a difference in any respect between the two brands, I had to take my hat off to AMG for the Conti specced tire. Nice.

Who got the job for selling me and mounting the tires? Both dealerships bid. Costco. Before everyone spills their coffee, I've had good experience before (a variety of cars) and they were quite careful. Due to some factory tire specials at the time I saved lots of $$$. Total cost for all four (265/35 and 305/30) was $1,584. Included everything - including all the California horsexxxx tire taxes, local sales tax, new TPMS blah blah blah.
Old 08-04-2019, 06:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 AMG G63
Good Deal for you.

Please feel free to edit my post where needed.

I worry about owners who place their trust in people who don’t know the differences in these performance tires. They could end up with a set that is not intended to be on their car and a lot of extra charges.

I am getting the sense that the PS 2 ZP tires may be MO replacement for all GT platforms.

Last edited by JSwan724; 08-05-2019 at 09:53 AM.
Old 08-04-2019, 09:11 PM

Received 203 Likes on 107 Posts
Originally Posted by California John
I have a GTC Vert. After almost 6,000 miles I changed the tires. Wearing out in some areas. Factory was Contis. I went with PS 4S due to good reviews and having had good experience with the PS 4 in my earlier GTS. Although I didn't buy the tires at the dealership, the service manager thought that because of the uneven wear I had on the tires that my alignment was bad. He wanted $400 to align the car another dealer wanted $179....both AMG centers. Guess where I went? The car's alignment was fine really - just slightly out. If anyone wants I can post the factory alignment sheet befores and afters. I got a couple more mph exiting my favorite off ramp with the Michelins...but because there really wasn't too much of a difference in any respect between the two brands, I had to take my hat off to AMG for the Conti specced tire. Nice.

Who got the job for selling me and mounting the tires? Both dealerships bid. Costco. Before everyone spills their coffee, I've had good experience before (a variety of cars) and they were quite careful. Due to some factory tire specials at the time I saved lots of $$$. Total cost for all four (265/35 and 305/30) was $1,584. Included everything - including all the California horsexxxx tire taxes, local sales tax, new TPMS blah blah blah.
Costco is pretty good. Gotta agree, they actually told me about the whole MO branding a few years back. I think TireRack used to give you that warning, but Im not sure if they still do