<2019 GT-R vs R8 V10 Plus (Daily Driver in Winter)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-08-2019, 06:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W209
<2019 GT-R vs R8 V10 Plus (Daily Driver in Winter)

Hi guys,

Looking for advice regarding the pre-facelift 2018 - 2019 GT-R that didn't have a nonsense particle filters yet versus mag ride R8 V10 Plus Spyder / Coupe <2020 without filters.

Has anyone driven both recently? Audi forums claim R8 is much better handling in corners while MB forums claim epic exhaust notes (I prefer NA over turbos), etc. Most posts seem to be about non GT-R though and I am wondering if rear wheel steering improves the cornering situation?

How's the traction control in rain / winter? Will be my daily. I'm worried about that when there's so much power and only rear wheel drive. My current Quattro I can floor in corners, push in the rain, snow and don't care about anything. That's the biggest CON for me right now, otherwise I would get GT-R. Looks better for me.

What's the "attention" factor? Do people crave over R8 more than the green hell GT-R? One is super sports car while other is super car with engine behind you. Is acceleration much better on R8 V10 Plus?

Also, maintenance will prob be much cheaper with Audi.

Last edited by W209W; 12-08-2019 at 06:13 AM.
Old 12-08-2019, 08:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 706 Likes on 535 Posts
R Nine T
A lot of moving parts here, but I’ll add my .2c.

You did not mention that you track cars at all and you’re going to be driving GTR in the rain as a daily? The GTR is not for you sir. I don’t drive my GT in the rain although I’m sure I could. I think the GTC is really more of where you’re thinking of going IMO. Maintenance is cheap BTW.

Im sure AUDI has a more compliant ride depending on rubber and PSI.

Captain obvious believes you just need to drive both back to back.
Old 12-08-2019, 08:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W209
Hey. my dealers don't have any to test drive, sadly. The non GT R looks bland to me, if green hell was an oem option (not via wrapper), I'd consider C.

I'm buying to have fun with cars, so daily drive for sure, mud, rain, snow,
Old 12-08-2019, 08:56 AM

Received 259 Likes on 141 Posts
AMG GT R Pro
Drive my GTR Pro everyday. Threw some winter tires on it and it’s handling the rain beautifully. Going to drive it in the snow as well.

R8 are a dime a dozen where I lIve. Only GTR I’ve seen is my own.
Old 12-08-2019, 12:10 PM

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
GTC roadster
I own a Gt C roadster and the car is amazing, but I don't recommend the car for raining days or snow because I lost traction many times driving it under hard rain
so for those days I just take my wife's Q7😉
so maybe you should take the quattro if it will be your daily car
The following users liked this post:
ChargedMB (12-09-2019)
Old 12-08-2019, 12:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 635 Likes on 379 Posts
2021 AMG GLE 63s Coupe AMG GLC 63s Coupe
Originally Posted by W209W
Hi guys,

Looking for advice regarding the pre-facelift 2018 - 2019 GT-R that didn't have a nonsense particle filters yet versus mag ride R8 V10 Plus Spyder / Coupe <2020 without filters.

Has anyone driven both recently? Audi forums claim R8 is much better handling in corners while MB forums claim epic exhaust notes (I prefer NA over turbos), etc. Most posts seem to be about non GT-R though and I am wondering if rear wheel steering improves the cornering situation?

How's the traction control in rain / winter? Will be my daily. I'm worried about that when there's so much power and only rear wheel drive. My current Quattro I can floor in corners, push in the rain, snow and don't care about anything. That's the biggest CON for me right now, otherwise I would get GT-R. Looks better for me.

What's the "attention" factor? Do people crave over R8 more than the green hell GT-R? One is super sports car while other is super car with engine behind you. Is acceleration much better on R8 V10 Plus?

Also, maintenance will prob be much cheaper with Audi.
Really you can floor your Quattro in corners while in the rain and snow with zero effect, tell me what video game you are playing, I may have to get this one..
Surge (12-09-2019)
Old 12-08-2019, 08:12 PM

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
2020 AMG GT R
I went through a similar dilemma... but I didn't care about driving it in adverse weather since I store my sports cars. If that's your main concern, then the Audi product may be best for you since it's AWD.

I have driven both... I don't see how the people in the R8 forums claiming it's better on a track. I know lap times are driver dependent but if you look up the times in the GT R and R0 V10 plus, the GT R beats it by a good margin in almost all tracks around the world. The GT R is among the elite in lap times. The RWD setup and chassis in the GT R gives it a lot more drama character. To me, the R8 felt soft but that's a great thing for you if you're daily driving it. But feeling soft takes away from that hardcore sportscar feel. One feels like a weekend track toy while the other feels like a daily drivable sportscar.

Not only was the second gen R8 V10+ slower than the GT R, it was also slower than the GTS, and even the GT63S around VIR in Car & Driver's Lightning Lap test.

And I love both AMG and Audi, I own an AMG GTS and an RS5 for the winter.

https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...storical-data/

Last edited by Southpaw07; 12-08-2019 at 08:19 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Southpaw07:
MG1422 (12-09-2019), Orcbolg (12-08-2019), thebishman (12-09-2019)
Old 12-09-2019, 12:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 412 Likes on 288 Posts
W463 G550 / C190 GTC //prev: W204 C63 507 / R170
Audi maintenance and reliability will be worse than with the AMG.
Old 12-09-2019, 03:04 AM

Received 76 Likes on 47 Posts
Fast and Really Fast Sports Cars
W209W,

I have both and have daily-driven both. Though my winter here (so cal) probably isn't the kind you experience.

I do prefer NA over turbo. But as far as turbo goes, GT R drives like a V8 NA and it sounds good.

Each car exhibits such different characteristics that it can't really replace the other. R8 has more of a supercar feel/stance. People still relate it to Iron Man. Can't beat the NA V10 sound. Love every minute of it. The GT R has more of a don't mess with me, hooligan feel. I noticed more thumbs up from fellow MB drivers. I find the R8 a little more cumbersome to maneuver in tight spaces. Not that the GT R is that much easier but the rear steering really helps. Front splitter clearance wise (slopes, gradients etc), both are comparable. Ride wise, GT R is a tad harsher. The R8 acceleration does feel a tad slower from standstill because of the AWD system but it's still a fast car.

Maintenance wise, Audi Care for 4 years prepaid is about $1500. It's comparable to the MB's A,B service. IIRC, kind of like A,B,A,B. GT R I think maybe $2500. Service experiences really depends on the SA and technician not so much the manufacturer.

Corporate customer service wise, MB USA seems more caring and warmer. Audi USA seems very indifferent and a tad cold. Don't know why.

Hope this helps.

The following 2 users liked this post by LAsunset:
thebishman (12-09-2019), W209W (12-12-2019)
Old 12-09-2019, 02:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4,001 Likes on 2,666 Posts
2019 C63CS
Over the last couple of years I've driven the R8 Coupe, Spyder and Plus as well as the GT S and GT R. I previously daily drove a 2013 Audi RS5, which I loved a lot. Totally understand where you are coming from with Quattro. Here in NorCal we don't get snow, and I drive on summer tires all year long, but during the rainy winter season I never had to think about traction with the RS5. I could just pull out into traffic and around corners and drive the car like there was no rain. Occasional 4 wheel spin was quickly dealt with and I also had the active torque vectoring rear differential, which made a big difference. I now drive a 2019 C63S Coupe and I love it. I haven't looked back to the RS5. I had some concerns going back to RWD about traction in the rain and yes, I spin the rear tires now all the time in the rain when giving it some beans, but it's part of the fun and the C63S is a much more exciting car, but I definitely have to drive it a bit more careful in the rain. Tires make a big difference. I had Michelin PS4S on my RS5 towards the end, and currently have the stock Michelin PSS on the C63S. Both perform great in the rain. The 2019 C63S has the same 9-stage traction control as the GT R, which is kinda interesting given that the normal GT, GT S and GT C don't get it. This new traction control system is phenomenal. It no longer fights the driver and/or kills the fun, but instead helps getting most out of the car, even if you don't bother choosing one of the 9 levels yourself and instead just let the computer sort it out. It manages the engine output to maximize all the available traction. It's a lot of fun to drive this car.

So, regarding the R8 and GT. As said I had the opportunity to drive several R8 as I was thinking about what to replace my RS5 with. I often go to deserted canyon roads here in NorCal to have fun with my cars and that's where I also evaluated the R8. The R8 is all about that engine. Glorious engine and I have nothing bad to say about it. The V8 in the RS5 was actually based on it. It shared about 80% with the V10 complete with that 8000+ rpm redline. However, the driving dynamics of the R8 were disappointing. The AWD system is weird. Where the Quattro system in my RS5 was phenomenal in the canyons, the R8 has this weird pull on the front wheels when giving it even just a little bit of throttle in the corners. The front immediately turned wider than off throttle and a steering correction was necessary. I had never experienced this on any other car and I totally hated it. The Plus in Performance mode was doing it the least, but it was still there. There were other situations like when I gunned it to pass a procession of slow driving cars it pulled on the front wheels like crazy. You could really feel when the power was sent to the front wheels. Lambo owners had similar complaints about the original Huracan, which shares much with the R8. The Performante as far as I know fixed these issues and I haven't had a chance to drive the new facelift R8 to see if they incorporated any of that. I also haven't heard about the Huracan Evo having this issues as it took a lot of the learnings Lambo made with the Performante. Needless to say, I was disappointed with the R8 overall, and I'm not the only one. Here's a quote from Randy Pobst when they did a head to head with the RS5 against the 204 C63 507.

Given how high Randy was on the 507, we figured the less powerful, heavier RS 5 had no shot. We couldn't have been more wrong. Posting a best lap of 1:42.97, it was 0.48 second quicker, but Randy's comments suggested more like 4.8 seconds. "The R8 should be half this good! This car is fantastic. I adore it. It does such a great job utilizing all-wheel-drive traction off the corner, with zero push. You just drive in there and you think it's too early, but you just floor it and you're like, man, I should've gotten on the gas sooner. And no push, no oversteer -- it just drives right out of there, beautifully carving an exit line, using all the power. The gearbox is also very friendly. I just got more confident with carrying speed in and trusting the grip."

Randy was talking about the Gen 1 R8 here, but he later reviewed the Gen 2, and wasn't impressed either.

As for the GT, I got to drive the 2019 GT S and 2020 GT R on Laguna Seca during the AMG Driving Academy. Very different cars from the R8 in terms of driving dynamics. The GT R is primarily made for the track. It's a very precise machine with fast lap times being the primary goal. It puts down the power well, and you can feel the benefits of the rear wheel steering. It just stays glued to the track. Steering is how it's supposed to be. None of that crap from the R8 since no power is going to the front wheels. Truly a controllable car w/o strange artifacts. If I wanted a track car, I would probably have a GT R in my garage in addition, but I wouldn't trade my C63S for it. It's just more of a track focused car and overall not the kind of package that I'm looking for. The GT S was also great. It was more playful than the GT R, though. Where the GT R was unimpressed with fast corners, the GT S had to be controlled more to not go sideways. It clearly wasn't built for the same fast lap times as the GT R, but if I were to get a GT for the streets, the GT S would be the more playful and fun car IMO. The GT C might be a good middle ground as it gets the 4 wheel steering from the GT R as well as the wider body, so it looks better and rides more comfortable. In the end, I walked away even more in love with my C63S. It has more practicality for a daily driver than the GT, and it's got some stuff from the GT R like as mentioned the traction control which the other GT variants don't get, and one last word on the R8. If I were to get one, I'd probably go for the RWD variant. I haven't had the opportunity to drive one yet, but it can only be better w/o that front axle struggling with the power delivered to it.
Old 12-09-2019, 03:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I put 28K miles on my R8 V10 in the canyons in a year and was disappointed to the point that I bought a 991 Turbo S..
I traded in the Turbo S for my E63s wagon a year later, since they were both boring cars to say the least...

My slightly modified GTS is so much more fun to drive and after having driven the GTR on track and then a stock GTS I couldn't feel any difference between the two in their handling.
The only advantage the GTR vs GTS had was in the straights due to its extra power.. If you could feel the rear wheel steering doing anything you may have been doing a U Turn or getting into a parking space.

If you want sports car performance then the perfect daily driver is an E63s wagon and a second set of wheels and tires for the snow because summer tires won't cut it..

Old 12-09-2019, 04:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R Nine T
GTR and GTS are 2 completely different animals in corners. Drove both at Road Atlanta and COTA.

A tuned GTS is faster in a straight line.
Old 12-09-2019, 04:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 966 Likes on 581 Posts
‘24 BMW iX M60
The difference between the GTS and the GTR on a road course is staggering. Anyone who states that the only difference between the two cars is speed on the straight due to more hp in the GTR simply hasn’t had enough time driving both cars. Also, check published lap times for both and it’s evident that whilst the GTS is fast and extremely enjoyable on a road course, the GTR is simply on another level.
Old 12-09-2019, 04:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by thebishman
The difference between the GTS and the GTR on a road course is staggering. Anyone who states that the only difference between the two cars is speed on the straight due to more hp in the GTR simply hasn’t had enough time driving both cars. Also, check published lap times for both and it’s evident that whilst the GTS is fast and extremely enjoyable on a road course, the GTR is simply on another level.
Please explain to me the technical differences other than rear wheel steering and a bump in power that puts the GTR on another level.
Drivers and tires make the difference when cars are so evenly matched..

Mercedes marketing at work with three cars so evenly matched.. GTS, GTC, GTR with slight tuning they are twins from the driver's seat,,

Last edited by ronin amg; 12-09-2019 at 05:00 PM.
Old 12-09-2019, 05:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R Nine T
Cmon Ronin. You obviously haven’t driven both cars at the track.
thebishman (12-10-2019)
Old 12-09-2019, 05:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by AMG 17GT
Cmon Ronin. You obviously haven’t driven both cars at the track.
You're absolutely right these Pius behind me are creating an illusion I can't get outta my old head...

W209W (12-12-2019)
Old 12-09-2019, 05:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R Nine T
Well as they say, cars are a subjective thing.....SMH.

ronin amg (12-09-2019)
Old 12-09-2019, 06:21 PM

Received 245 Likes on 152 Posts
Designo White AMG GTS
Where do you live? If in a warm climate, I prefer RWD, even for a daily driver. If it's somewhere with cold weather, get the R8.
Old 12-09-2019, 06:24 PM

Designo White AMG GTS
Originally Posted by ronin amg
Please explain to me the technical differences other than rear wheel steering and a bump in power that puts the GTR on another level.
Drivers and tires make the difference when cars are so evenly matched..

Mercedes marketing at work with three cars so evenly matched.. GTS, GTC, GTR with slight tuning they are twins from the driver's seat,,
It's like a Carrera S vs a GT3. I'm sure you could tune the Carrera to perform like a GT3 but from the factory, one is clearly a superior track car. Better aerodynamics, traction, cooling, brakes, engine tuning, DCT tuning, etc. Those little things add up to a much more high strung and capable track car.
Old 12-09-2019, 06:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by kumizi
It's like a Carrera S vs a GT3. I'm sure you could tune the Carrera to perform like a GT3 but from the factory, one is clearly a superior track car. Better aerodynamics, traction, cooling, brakes, engine tuning, DCT tuning, etc. Those little things add up to a much more high strung and capable track car.
Right a "capable track car" except I traded my new 991 GT3 the next day for a 991 Turbo S which in stock form is faster on track and in the canyons than the GT3 and a much better daily driver...

I believed the hype until I drove the car as it should be driven... But let's get back to the original post..

Old 12-09-2019, 09:22 PM

Designo White AMG GTS
Right a "capable track car" except I traded my new 991 GT3 the next day for a 991 Turbo S which in stock form is faster on track and in the canyons than the GT3 and a much better daily driver...

I believed the hype until I drove the car as it should be driven... But let's get back to the original post..
Except the Turbo has a lot more power and AWD compared to the GT3.

The GTS has neither compared to the GTR. So your comparison makes no sense.

You said explain the differences. So I did.

We all WERE replying to the original post until you started your usual IN DA CANYONS gibberish.

Last edited by kumizi; 12-09-2019 at 09:27 PM.
Old 12-09-2019, 09:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 113 Likes on 93 Posts
The best or nothing
I put 28K miles on my R8 V10 in the canyons in a year and was disappointed to the point that I bought a 991 Turbo S..
I traded in the Turbo S for my E63s wagon a year later, since they were both boring cars to say the least...

My slightly modified GTS is so much more fun to drive and after having driven the GTR on track and then a stock GTS I couldn't feel any difference between the two in their handling.
The only advantage the GTR vs GTS had was in the straights due to its extra power.. If you could feel the rear wheel steering doing anything you may have been doing a U Turn or getting into a parking space.

If you want sports car performance then the perfect daily driver is an E63s wagon and a second set of wheels and tires for the snow because summer tires won't cut it..

I like the stealthy look of your wagon.
ronin amg (12-10-2019)
Old 12-10-2019, 11:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 966 Likes on 581 Posts
‘24 BMW iX M60
You're absolutely right these Pius behind me are creating an illusion I can't get outta my old head...

Corkscrew at LS? God I loved that track when I did the Advanced AMG ‘school’ there.

The GTS is a delight on a road course, but an owner would have to spend big dollars on the suspension; aero; wheels/tyres, cooling, and lastly hp in order to get the car to the level of a stock GTR. If you drove both at LS you obviously know that the speed and stability on a track of the GTR is far superior to that of the GTS. The GTR will be at least 3-4 seconds/lap quicker, (and perhaps more?) on the same day and with the same driver.

I am in no way knocking the GTS; it’s a fantastic car which I’ve loved driving on track, and it’s an easier to use DD than the GTR for sure.

Bish
The following 2 users liked this post by thebishman:
Orcbolg (12-10-2019), Wolfman (12-10-2019)
Old 12-25-2019, 08:01 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
car
my experience since I own both 2019 amg gtr, 2020 audi r8 v10 performance in Canada

gtr = since its 2019, doesn't sound bad yet. but limit to 4000 rpm rev, currently have no exhaust to mod it. have decent crackles but reving is limited, hate the 19" wheel at front, prefer 20" but atleast its rear is 325 width there fore it looks nice from behind.
r8 = since its 2020, it sounds terrible, anything before 2020 version can rev up to 8000 in park.barley any crackles and pops while downshift, love the 20" rim at front, hate the rear wheel is only 305 with at back, therefore the carbon fiber and exhaust looks great from behind but the wheels looks stupid while it is so thin.

gtr daily = comfortable to drive, good at cornering, while esp is off, keep traction control at 9 should be fine. test drove it at snow, its not that great with snow tires either. test it at rain, it works fine. while corning do not attempt to floor it. good attention and in my opinion front and rear end looks better than my r8, but very practical because of big trunk, rear view can see better than r8
r8 daily = comfortable to drive, good at cornering, with traction control off, race mode, wet/snow/dry can all be floored. picked up very fast as well. not much attention as the 2017/2018 because it sounds terrible, but Imo 2020 version looks better. but imo my r8 doesn't look as good as the gtr especially when see straight on the side front. frunk is impractical, rear view sucks.

gtr pricing = 241,000 depends on what you want, is r8 more expensive? no necessary? hold more value? nope even if its last generation. imo if you want something have value maybe buy Lamborghini performante while still can, I wouldn't keep r8 in my garage and wash that car like a *****. I would mod it and reck it
r8 pricing = 232, 000 depends on what you want + 8000$ exhaust modification and this is most imo, hold more value than gtr? no, you want something with more value, get a Porsche gt3 rs, but again I wouldn't keep amg gtr/r8 garage or wash this car when its dirty. drive it, enjoy it and reck it. mod it. and keep yourself safe.

gtr quality = feels luxury, but I wish the center v can be carbon fiber as well, I would wish they have front lift system, instrument cluster looks outdated, no front camera.
r8 quality = feels outdated, I would wish they have front lift system, but I like that there is no screen on the dashboard, only knobs. and one down side is when you are backing up and looking at instrument cluster for the rear view camera while turning the steering wheels, its kind of annoying.

gtr speed = 0-100, definetly cant beat my r8, it will catch up and leave the r8 in shame
r8 speed = 0-100 faster than gtr, after that it will be over take my gtr and you will keep seeing the amg leave your sorry *** behind and you can't even catch up.

gtr engine sound = 2019 sounds great, but not as great as a 5.5 L GLE Coupe 63s with 577 hp as well. and I believe the year 2020 version also sound muted as well. but while at idle reving only up to 4000 rpm is disappointed just for the sake of "protecting the engine" either way they don't have higher rpm than audi.
audi engine sound = n/a v10 sounds so good, but they ****ed it up for the year 2020. wouldn't blame for the Europe regulation. imo if they make it sound as good as the 2017 which is similar to huracan, then ppl rather go for r8 than lambo. because its cheaper and more practical and have better sound system.

imo, if you own audi car before. go for r8, dont touch mercedes. mercedes is a car with nice luxury interior and very nice looking exterior car. when you touch it you wont go back even if you see porsche. thats me. both are nice car and different way of liking it. but gtr is most likely a track car to be more fun, r8 can be super fun at road but not at track. daily driven wise imo i feel the amg gtr gives me less pressure beacuse of the practicality of rear trunk. which one i like to take out and cruis ? although its rear wheel drive but its very drivable outside during summer even if you floor it at red light. thats what the big *** rear wheels are for. even if r8 has all wheel drive, would and say you can drive it in winter. hmm imo best not to drive both car in winter assuming you dont crash car, ppl or public property, but other car can crash you as well. so yea.

which car pick up ladies more? none. *****es are smart now a days. they go for 3 mil $ cars. XD

I would highly recommend you to test drive both car at dealership, and just remember if a car doesn't sound good, then to me that car is not fun =D because tesla is very fast as well but no noise. and be careful of year 2020 cars.

Last edited by mbamggt; 12-25-2019 at 08:13 PM.
W209W (12-26-2019)
Old 12-25-2019, 10:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R Nine T
Xmas tears here .....

hope you all had as good a day and year as I did. !

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: <2019 GT-R vs R8 V10 Plus (Daily Driver in Winter)