Thoughts on this used 2016 GTS (Coming from a 991.1 C2S)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-26-2020, 10:56 AM

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts
2016 gts
I've found that having both cars now the Mercedes gts feels faster but the Porsche gt3 handles better. I would have bought a gtr but could not find one in black/black around. That other poster that mentioned about making a gts a gtr by a tune and springs is wrong.what about the much larger tire sizes the gtr can accept?
this is my opinion as I drive both all the time not just a blogger or a troll on forums.
Old 01-26-2020, 10:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 412 Likes on 288 Posts
W463 G550 / C190 GTC //prev: W204 C63 507 / R170
How about a GTC? It's closer to a GTR than a GTS - I've driven both and it's hard to tell the difference on the road. Correct, you can't tune a GTS to match a GTC/R - the main differences between the GTS and GTC/R are:

- GTC/R have larger turbos
- body is wider
- rear wheel steer - HUGE difference
- gear ratios
- flywheel is lighter

GTS is awesome, of course; but if you're looking for something closer to a GT3 I would say that GTC is it. And a GT3 RS is closest to a GTR.
The following users liked this post:
jn66 (01-26-2020)
Old 01-26-2020, 11:04 AM

2016 gts
Omg finally someone with some good knowledge not just someone to debate with.
thanks surge!!
Surge (01-26-2020)
Old 01-26-2020, 11:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 635 Likes on 379 Posts
2021 AMG GLE 63s Coupe AMG GLC 63s Coupe
Originally Posted by Tinknocker
I've found that having both cars now the Mercedes gts feels faster but the Porsche gt3 handles better. I would have bought a gtr but could not find one in black/black around. That other poster that mentioned about making a gts a gtr by a tune and springs is wrong.what about the much larger tire sizes the gtr can accept?
this is my opinion as I drive both all the time not just a blogger or a troll on forums.
Yeah a troll blogger would need a website to be one...Sorry your GTS is sitting there like a 4x4

But I don't have one and I've driven the crap out of my cars over the years on track and in the canyons..

Here is my GT3 that didn't handle as well as my Turbo S... and now I drive a GTS..

Get the GTS it is a better handling ride and much better value..

Last edited by ronin amg; 01-26-2020 at 11:44 AM.
Old 01-26-2020, 11:47 AM

2016 gts
Get a grip,
Old 01-26-2020, 11:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Get a properly setup GTS and dump the Porker..

Old 01-26-2020, 01:59 PM

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
'16 GTS, '18 AMG GLE 63S, '06 SL55 AMG (sold)
Originally Posted by Surge
How about a GTC? It's closer to a GTR than a GTS - I've driven both and it's hard to tell the difference on the road. Correct, you can't tune a GTS to match a GTC/R - the main differences between the GTS and GTC/R are:

- body is wider
- gear ratios
- flywheel is lighter
I vaguely recall reading somewhere that the rws is effective at “low” speeds..say <50 mph or so, is that the case or better yet, what exactly is the deal w/ rws? I’ve not driven one so am curious. If I were to consider a change from my GTS it would probably be a GTC for the reasons you listed above. As far as Porsche vs AMG, performance debate aside, the GTS/C/R is infinitely more appealing to my eye than any Porsche, just personal preference.

Last edited by WildPete; 01-26-2020 at 02:01 PM.
Old 01-26-2020, 02:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by WildPete
I vaguely recall reading somewhere that the rws is effective at “low” speeds..say <50 mph or so, is that the case or better yet, what exactly is the deal w/ rws? I’ve not driven one so am curious. If I were to consider a change from my GTS it would probably be a GTC for the reasons you listed above. As far as Porsche vs AMG, performance debate aside, the GTS/C/R is infinitely more appealing to my eye than any Porsche, just personal preference.
RWS has two benefits: below ~60mph the rear wheels steer in opposite direction to the front, making the car feel incredibly nimble. It honestly feels smaller than my Lotus Elise.
Above 60, the rear wheels steer in the same direction as the front, which increases high speed stability, as if the car had a longer wheelbase. Remove before Race on YouTube explains it well in his GTC review.
Old 01-26-2020, 03:24 PM

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
'16 GTS, '18 AMG GLE 63S, '06 SL55 AMG (sold)
RWS has two benefits: below ~60mph the rear wheels steer in opposite direction to the front, making the car feel incredibly nimble. It honestly feels smaller than my Lotus Elise.
Above 60, the rear wheels steer in the same direction as the front, which increases high speed stability, as if the car had a longer wheelbase. Remove before Race on YouTube explains it well in his GTC review.
Thanks for the reply, sounds more significant than I had thought, certainly worth a look. Just what I need, another case of the “I wants” ! 😏
Old 01-26-2020, 04:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Rohan V
Hey everyone, I am seeing this car tomorrow and would love any insight on the specs on this car and if this is a good deal for 78k. I know people on here have swayed away from 2016s for potential issues since its a first year model but this model seems pretty clean. I am coming from Porsche world and am not familiar with the nuances of GTS options / features and what are the must have options. Thanks in advance!

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=262763273
Rohan, looks like a great example! Fully loaded, except for the dynamic engine and transmission mounts. I love the Saddle interior. It’s my favorite choice.
Old 01-26-2020, 07:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

- body is wider
- gear ratios
- flywheel is lighter

GTS is awesome, of course; but if you're looking for something closer to a GT3 I would say that GTC is it. And a GT3 RS is closest to a GTR.

It feels smaller than your Lotus Elise you say ? What's wrong with your Elise ?
"you can't tune the GTS to match the GTR" you say ? Funny thing is the tunes from OE Tuning wind up with the same peak HP/Tq for the GTR/GTC/GTS...

Last edited by ronin amg; 01-26-2020 at 07:33 PM.
Old 01-26-2020, 07:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ronin amg
"you can't tune the GTS to match the GTR" you say ? Funny thing is the tunes from OE Tuning wind up with the same peak HP/Tq for the GTR/GTC/GTS...but what do I know
huh? Why would you think something is “wrong” with my Elise? Elise is a small nimble sports car. The GT with RWS feels more nimble. That was my point. Nothing is wrong with the Elise.

Not surprised that you can get similar power out of the GTS engine - it’s the same engine more or less across the lineup, after all. My point was there’s a lot more to the GTC/R than just the higher output.

On top of the GTC the R adds carbon front fenders, carbon torque tube (all GTs get a carbon driveshaft), carbon underbody brace, carbon roof, adaptive underbody aero, fixed rear wing, and of course the Ti exhaust.
Orcbolg (01-26-2020)
Old 01-26-2020, 07:21 PM

Received 259 Likes on 141 Posts
AMG GT R Pro
Originally Posted by ronin amg
"you can't tune the GTS to match the GTR" you say ? Funny thing is the tunes from OE Tuning wind up with the same peak HP/Tq for the GTR/GTC/GTS...but what do I know
You really are insufferable. I hope when I reach your advanced age I have more self confidence then to continually lean on the past tidbits of my life...freakin' canyons...you really come across like an ***.

The following 3 users liked this post by jn66:
Orcbolg (01-26-2020), Tinknocker (01-27-2020), wawrecker (01-26-2020)
Old 01-26-2020, 07:24 PM

Received 259 Likes on 141 Posts
AMG GT R Pro
huh? Why would you think something is “wrong” with my Elise? Elise is a small nimble sports car. The GT with RWS feels more nimble. That was my point. Nothing is wrong with the Elise.

Not surprised that you can get similar power out of the GTS engine - it’s the same engine more or less across the lineup, after all. My point was there’s a lot more to the GTC/R than just the higher output.

On top of the GTC the R adds carbon front fenders, carbon torque tube (all GTs get a carbon driveshaft), carbon underbody brace, carbon roof, adaptive underbody aero, fixed rear wing, and of course the Ti exhaust.
Brother - the guy just types **** to get a rise out of people...his post made zero sense (which is why you are confused regarding the Elise Comment).

Also - Elise is badass. Rare car where I live. Maybe see one a year at best.

The following 3 users liked this post by jn66:
Orcbolg (01-26-2020), Surge (01-26-2020), Tinknocker (01-27-2020)
Old 01-27-2020, 01:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

If you think the Elise isn't more nimble than the GT there has to be something wrong with it for sure, maybe a proper alignment is in order.

I know a thing or two about Lotus Cars....My old Lotus Elise..

680 whp.. Compound charged, dual fueled..

Indy and Lotus racer Townsend Bell tells it..

Get the GTS...

KenGross (01-27-2020)
Old 01-27-2020, 11:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by jn66
You really are insufferable. I hope when I reach your advanced age I have more self confidence then to continually lean on the past tidbits of my life...freakin' canyons...you really come across like an ***.
So real personal experience on the topic of performance cars is irrelevant you say ?
Past tidbits of my life have always been about performance cars except for a 16 yr departure to go sailing..

How about you posting your first hand experiences of building and tuning performance cars or do you just write checks ?

Buy the GTS ..
KenGross (01-27-2020)