Coupe/Roadster
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any better recommendations Than The Renntech EVM?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-09-2020, 01:06 AM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
AMG GTS
Any better recommendations Than The Renntech EVM?

I am considering ordering one of the Renntech EVM's below. Just wanted to check with you guys if there is a better/different option out there for being able to fix the exhaust valves open on demand (for cold starts for example).

https://www.renntechmercedes.com/ind...evm-190-detail

As gimmicky as it is, the "emotion" start on the facelift cars is pretty cool TBH.

Popular Reply

12-24-2020, 10:10 AM
Orcbolg
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 694 Likes on 437 Posts
AMG
Here's a Stock vs EVM (ASR/Renntech module) comparison I just threw together:

Edit: I forgot to add that I do not have secondary cats.
Old 02-09-2020, 10:49 AM

Received 70 Likes on 42 Posts
AMG GTS, Ford Raptor and Tesla Model 3 dual motor
Yes, check out automotive passion they sell the same module for a lot less. I get the feeling they might make it for Renntech. The remotes are the same and they both install the same way under the passenger foot well.
The following users liked this post:
Orcbolg (02-09-2020)
Old 02-09-2020, 11:34 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
AMG GT
Originally Posted by jcopello
I am considering ordering one of the Renntech EVM's below. Just wanted to check with you guys if there is a better/different option out there for being able to fix the exhaust valves open on demand (for cold starts for example).

https://www.renntechmercedes.com/ind...evm-190-detail

As gimmicky as it is, the "emotion" start on the facelift cars is pretty cool TBH.
Do the pre face lift cars start with the valves closed? mine is 2018 and starts with the valves open and then they close some seconds after. In the lambo and Ferrari world it is sometimes nice to be able to close the valves on start up and warm up idle so as not to "P" off the neighbors.
Old 02-09-2020, 12:55 PM

AMG GTS
Yup, they default to closed. Sometimes you'll get lucky and it will start with the valves open but it's the minority case.
Old 02-09-2020, 01:48 PM

Received 245 Likes on 152 Posts
Designo White AMG GTS
"If your car is equipped with factory exhaust flaps, with or without a center console button to open or close them, factory settings do NOT allow the flaps to fully open unless certain speed and/or RPM have been reached. For example, while cruising the exhaust flaps will never fully open!"

Had no idea. I've been turning the accessories/power on
, hitting the exhaust button to open valves, and then starting the car.
Old 02-09-2020, 02:29 PM

AMG GTS
Originally Posted by kumizi
"If your car is equipped with factory exhaust flaps, with or without a center console button to open or close them, factory settings do NOT allow the flaps to fully open unless certain speed and/or RPM have been reached. For example, while cruising the exhaust flaps will never fully open!"

I'm curious as to how true that actually is though. When driving the car around with the valves open, there is a noticeable difference at all speeds/RPM when compared to them being closed which would tell me they always stay open once the car is up to a certain temperature.

I think what their statement implies is that when the car is cold/warming up the valves stay closed until the car is ready. Their EVM gives you the ability to bypass that process. Who knows though they are the experts after all.
Old 02-09-2020, 02:29 PM

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts
2017 AMG GT, 2015 ML350, 2013 C300
If your car is equipped with factory exhaust flaps, with or without a center console button...
my GT has no button on the console, how do I find out if its equipped with factory exhaust flaps?
Old 02-09-2020, 02:30 PM

AMG GTS
Originally Posted by M~Factor
my GT has no button on the console, how do I find out if its equipped with factory exhaust flaps?
Base GT's did not get this option I don't believe, only S and above. I think you would need to add the valve system to your exhaust all together in order to get this feature.
Old 02-09-2020, 06:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG

Yeah, I was doing the same, but in a lot of instances it would start up far too quiet for my taste, and sometimes embarrassingly so when at car shows with a lot of cameras on you. Cold start is often glorious, and then after sitting at a meet/show for an hour or two, it always starts up super quiet. Going to go the EVM route as well to bypass this.

Also seen this option, that doesn't require an external remote.

https://www.active-sound.eu/en/merce...-valve-control

Originally Posted by badbenzz
Yes, check out automotive passion they sell the same module for a lot less. I get the feeling they might make it for Renntech. The remotes are the same and they both install the same way under the passenger foot well.
I am going to order this one and see how it goes. Will report back.
https://automotivepassion.net/produc...ller-unit-rx2/

Last edited by Orcbolg; 02-09-2020 at 06:37 PM.
Old 02-09-2020, 06:42 PM

AMG GTS
Originally Posted by Orcbolg
Yeah, I was doing the same, but in a lot of instances it would start up far too quiet for my taste, and sometimes embarrassingly so when at car shows with a lot of cameras on you. Cold start is often glorious, and then after sitting at a meet/show for an hour or two, it always starts up super quiet. Going to go the EVM route as well to bypass this.

Also seen this option, that doesn't require an external remote.

https://www.active-sound.eu/en/merce...-valve-control

I am going to order this one and see how it goes. Will report back.
https://automotivepassion.net/produc...ller-unit-rx2/
Do you have any hands on experience with any of these products? The one you linked to looks interesting but I'm not sure how it's controlled. Don't speak German so cant understand their videos hah
Old 02-09-2020, 06:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Do you have any hands on experience with any of these products? The one you linked to looks interesting but I'm not sure how it's controlled. Don't speak German so cant understand their videos hah
I don't, but the first one I linked plugs in, and is controlled through the stock exhaust button. From what I can tell, when you have the button turned on, it opens the valves fully, and when you turn the button off, or go into comfort mode, it closes them. A little less customizable than the other two options, but no external remote needed.
Old 02-09-2020, 07:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 700 Likes on 533 Posts
R Nine T
Base GT's did not get this option I don't believe, only S and above. I think you would need to add the valve system to your exhaust all together in order to get this feature.
Of course GT does. In fact I have more options on my GT....about $6,000 more then a GTS.
Old 02-09-2020, 07:48 PM

AMG GTS
Originally Posted by AMG 17GT
Of course GT does. In fact I have more options on my GT....about $6,000 more then a GTS.
Interesting, standard? nevermind then. Not sure what is up that guys GT then if it doesnt have a button.
Old 02-09-2020, 08:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R Nine T
Well it’s an option that you could choose. Like anything else there’s nothing on the GT that you couldn’t pick that wasn’t available on any other model.
Old 02-09-2020, 08:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Well it’s an option that you could choose. Like anything else there’s nothing on the GT that you couldn’t pick that wasn’t available on any other model.
I thought you couldn't get Race Mode on the GT.
Old 02-10-2020, 11:50 AM

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts
2017 AMG GT, 2015 ML350, 2013 C300
Are you saying the GT cars are already equipped with factory exhaust flaps? Just need to get the "button" or module to operate it?
Old 02-10-2020, 11:58 AM

Received 245 Likes on 152 Posts
Designo White AMG GTS
Are you saying the GT cars are already equipped with factory exhaust flaps? Just need to get the "button" or module to operate it?
I think that’s correct but don’t hold me to it.
Old 02-10-2020, 12:24 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
AMG GT
I think you may need the factory performance exhaust for the flaps and button but as others have said don't take my word for granted.
I have a base GT roadster but with the performance exhaust and button.
Old 02-10-2020, 01:05 PM

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts
2014 E550
not true.
Old 02-10-2020, 01:18 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,246 Likes on 2,021 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
I think there was a time where this was somewhat the case (GT models always had the smaller brake system, no CCB option) but now not anywhere close. Not even the performance exhaust or DPP or high-end Burmester, etc...
Old 02-10-2020, 02:03 PM
Xec

Received 117 Likes on 89 Posts
IG: @amg.svr
Hey guys, I have the ASR module ordered from the Automotive Passion website.

It is the exact same thing as the Renntech module. Renntech is merely just the US distributor for ASR, except they slap on their logo and double the price. ASR used to sell directly to the US but they don't do it anymore.

The remotes give you the option to 1) keep valves 100% open, 2) return to normal function (PE exhaust button works), 3) keep valves 100% closed (which shouldn't ever be used as this is bad under heavy load)

It is over 2x the volume increase at idle and around town. The is also a significant increase in deep bassy rumble. There is however obviously no difference at over 4K as the PE valves fully open under stock operation.

Overall I am pretty pleased with it and this is how the cars should have sounded from the factory. Nothing beats it for the price. Only regret is not doing it sooner. First time I installed it I had people with cameras/mics coming up to the exhaust to film at C&C which usually doesn't happen for my sedan which is lower key. Good stuff!
The following 2 users liked this post by Xec:
daybx (05-18-2021), Orcbolg (02-10-2020)
Old 02-10-2020, 02:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R Nine T
Originally Posted by Wolfman
I think there was a time where this was somewhat the case (GT models always had the smaller brake system, no CCB option) but now not anywhere close. Not even the performance exhaust or DPP or high-end Burmester, etc...
Wolfman, in 2017 you could order the ceramics and the Hi end Burmester, and full leather. You are correct in that they have limited those options in the current models.
Old 02-10-2020, 02:10 PM

AMG GTS
Originally Posted by Xec

It is the exact same thing as the Renntech module. Renntech is merely just the US distributor for ASR, except they slap on their logo and double the price. ASR used to sell directly to the US but they don't do it anymore.

The remotes give you the option to 1) keep valves 100% open, 2) return to normal function (PE exhaust button works), 3) keep valves 100% closed (which shouldn't ever be used as this is bad under heavy load)

It is over 2x the volume increase at idle and around town. The is also a significant increase in deep bassy rumble. There is however obviously no difference at over 4K as the PE valves fully open under stock operation.

Overall I am pretty pleased with it and this is how the cars should have sounded from the factory. Nothing beats it for the price. Only regret is not doing it sooner. First time I installed it I had people with cameras/mics coming up to the exhaust to film at C&C which usually doesn't happen for my sedan which is lower key. Good stuff!
Sold! Super helpful thank you very much, just ordered.

Did you install yours yourself or have a shop do it?
Old 02-10-2020, 02:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Originally Posted by Xec

Great to hear, I ordered mine yesterday and am excitedly awaiting the package.
Old 02-10-2020, 02:54 PM

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts
2014 E550
Wolfman, in 2017 you could order the ceramics and the Hi end Burmester, and full leather. You are correct in that they have limited those options in the current models.
No option for race mode
Narrower tires (back rims might be smaller as well, not sure on this)
no painted calipers (unless ceramic)
No dynamic plus package
no crested armrest
i believe the rear differentials are different (electronic vs mechanical)
manual adaptive suspension vs interactive

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.