Coupe/Roadster
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help picking out my first AMG GTS!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-16-2020, 03:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lexus is300
Need help picking out my first AMG GTS!!

Hi all,

I'm looking to get my first ever AMG GTS in a month, and I can't be more excited. I've been doing research for a few months now, as I was torn between a 911 Carrera 4S, AMG GTS, and R8. I ended up deciding I'm going to get a 2016/2017 coupe

Anyway, I'm looking for some help in answering a few questions before I choose out my dream car. Thanks in advance for everyone's help.

1.) Are there any packages/options you definitely want to have if you were purchasing?

2.) What are the pros and cons of carbon ceramic brakes? Do I need them if I would rarely take it on the track?

3.) What is considered "high mileage" where I would be concerned with reliability?

4.) I'm looking to get Mars Red and then purchase some bronze aftermarket wheels. Any recommendations for where I could get a nice set of wheels?

5.) Do the make aftermarket grills for the 2016/2017 that look more like the new AMG GT's with the vertical lines?

6.) Can the deployable spoiler be turned on/off automatically, or only when you reach a certain speed? The reason I ask is that I think the car looks so much nice with the spoiler.

7.) Depending on the answer to #6, is it possible to turn off the deployable spoiler and replace it with a fixed spoiler?

8.) Is insurance pretty reasonable on these things?

Thanks in advance!!!
Old 02-16-2020, 04:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 868 Likes on 451 Posts
2023 Urus Performante - 2021 Ferrari Roma - 2017 Ferrari 488 GTB - 2022 GLE 63 S Coupe
I don't like answering a laundry list of basic questions as do some others. With that said. I will contribute and answer the first question and perhaps others can chime in on subsequent ones.

1.) Are there any packages/options you definitely want to have if you were purchasing?

When I buy a car. I make sure I know what each and every option is and available for that car. I'm talking a deep dive. I recommend you do the same as well.
Old 02-16-2020, 05:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 220 Likes on 156 Posts
2018 Solarbeam Yellow AMG GTS
2) no brake dust, skip it if you don’t track it. Expensive maintenance.

3) get as low as possible unless the price is a bargain

4) HRE

5) No

6) yes

7) yes

8) depends on your age , driving record , other cars , etc

geez, do you need for us to come over and spoon feed you the rest?

clearly you’ve Read nothing .

Last edited by thecutter64; 02-16-2020 at 05:31 PM.
Old 02-17-2020, 06:35 AM

Received 216 Likes on 135 Posts
E55, 380SL, GLA 250 Sport, AMG GTS
Originally Posted by NDnerd
Hi all,

I'm looking to get my first ever AMG GTS in a month, and I can't be more excited. I've been doing research for a few months now, as I was torn between a 911 Carrera 4S, AMG GTS, and R8. I ended up deciding I'm going to get a 2016/2017 coupe

Anyway, I'm looking for some help in answering a few questions before I choose out my dream car. Thanks in advance for everyone's help.

2.) What are the pros and cons of carbon ceramic brakes? Do I need them if I would rarely take it on the track?

3.) What is considered "high mileage" where I would be concerned with reliability?

4.) I'm looking to get Mars Red and then purchase some bronze aftermarket wheels. Any recommendations for where I could get a nice set of wheels?

5.) Do the make aftermarket grills for the 2016/2017 that look more like the new AMG GT's with the vertical lines?

6.) Can the deployable spoiler be turned on/off automatically, or only when you reach a certain speed? The reason I ask is that I think the car looks so much nice with the spoiler.

7.) Depending on the answer to #6, is it possible to turn off the deployable spoiler and replace it with a fixed spoiler?

Thanks in advance!!!
So much for research.
Old 02-17-2020, 08:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 700 Likes on 533 Posts
R Nine T
Originally Posted by UCIMBZ
So much for research.
A lot of new guys buying these cars used, and Are doing zero reading of this forum. Which is crazy, as it is probably the best source of knowledge about this car anywhere in the world.
The following 3 users liked this post by AMG 17GT:
benzbell (02-17-2020), garymac (02-17-2020), wizee (02-17-2020)
Old 02-17-2020, 09:47 AM

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts
2017 AMG GT, 2015 ML350, 2013 C300
Instead of chiming in just to criticize, I'll play.

Sports Exhaust if its a GT (personally regretting this). Otherwise just make sure its the color you want, inside and out. If you plan to vinyl wrap the car, pick black color as the base color.

You can skip this, too costly to maintain/replace.

I have Mars Red as well. It has the red and black theme going. IMO keeping the black wheels gives the best look.

I pay $156 per month in PA with State Farm.

Last edited by M~Factor; 02-17-2020 at 10:47 AM.
Old 02-17-2020, 10:31 AM

Received 216 Likes on 135 Posts
E55, 380SL, GLA 250 Sport, AMG GTS
Originally Posted by NDnerd

No!
Old 02-26-2020, 01:55 PM
SPONSOR

Received 243 Likes on 189 Posts
www.wheelsboutique.com
Welcome to the forums @NDnerd . We're the largest dealer in the world for aftermarket performance wheels so give us a call when you're ready & we'll help you pick out the perfect wheel model, fitment, & finish for your AMG.

More photos of the car below can be seen here -
https://wheelsboutique.com/gallery/m...ky-wheels-an12

Old 02-26-2020, 02:37 PM

Received 108 Likes on 71 Posts
2016 AMG GTS
Farmers - I pay $233 a month, was a big jump from my Nissan GTR which was $180 a month. clean record, but in Atlanta and in the city where premiums tend to be higher.

I would get a Pre-purchase inspection, I work on cars so knew what was up with mine I bought 2 weeks ago (brakes, a few other minor things) but got $10k off typical price for the car/miles.

Do you research to figure out what to look for,

I would not do ceramic brakes, even if you do it yourself with the best price on new rotors or aftermarket ceramic rotors its about $1000 - $1200 per corner, if you go to MB, you sell a kidney.

There is no aftermarket grill unless you swap the whole front end. There are companies that will retrofit the front grill for about $2k - search there is a thread on the panamerican grill

spoiler can be turned on/off and some cars come with a fixed spoiler that doesn't deploy

I got a 2016 with 32k miles for $67k and it needs about $2k of repairs (brakes, frayed hose, nothing big). I didn't not buy parts at MB, I went aftermarket brembo.