Exhaust valve fully open

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-17-2020, 01:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 623 Likes on 369 Posts
2020 McLaren 720s Spider
Originally Posted by Orcbolg
Lol, I'm not the one being subjective here. And full transparency, I'd rather no one bought the module from Renntech, as they are ripping people off.

To answer your question, it's simple, niether of them hack the MB computer system, which is what your previous statements have implied. Calling one vs the other a hack is coloring the perception of the product to fit your bias.
Funny, I have not said that at all. In fact, the MB computer system isn't a 'thing'; its a network of ECUs (synonymous with the term computer), one of which controls the operation of the exhaust valve (likely among other things). So, in fact these are hacking the ECU that controls this portion of the cars functions and either overriding it (RENNtech) and/or feeding it manipulated information (CETE). its likely RENNtech is doing both because there are no faults in its operation, but that I don't know for sure.

I bet you there is someone on here that is way smarter than me that can tell us how its done. I suspect the CETE operates like a piggy back tune adjusting the data back to the ECU to appear that everything is operating as intended from the factory and just amplifies the signal to open the valves more than the factory value.
Old 11-17-2020, 02:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 695 Likes on 438 Posts
AMG
Originally Posted by Skilly
Funny, I have not said that at all. .

I see the RENNtech as more of a hack into the MB system.
They both override the signal sent to the valves, in likely the exact same way, intercepting the signal sent to the valves and sending a different signal instead. The options for control provided to the user are merely different.
Old 11-17-2020, 02:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 McLaren 720s Spider

They both override the signal sent to the valves, in likely the exact same way, intercepting the signal sent to the valves and sending a different signal instead. The options for control provided to the user are merely different.
comical - "I see the RENNtech as more of a hack" = its an override hack to which I dont like; please see earlier comment about perspective and each of us being allowed to have a different one. Note the comment being my view on the way that they get there.

This is painful. I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you...
Old 11-17-2020, 03:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
This is painful.
Agreed.

If taken at face value, your statement on it hacking the MB system could easily cause confusion in those looking into any of the EVM options, giving them the impression that the ASR/renntech evm is some invasive and potentially problematic option. Others have also interpreted your posts on the matter in such a way previously:

Originally Posted by doulehr
Just a little curious why you are hesitant to use the renntech EVM module since it overrides the factory ECU settings for exhaust flap control...but you are willing to have the whole ECU remapped (changes in turbo boost, etc.) via renntech.

At least now that should no longer be the case, as it seems you merely chose your wording poorly, and weren't intentionally trying to mislead people.
Old 11-17-2020, 03:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 McLaren 720s Spider
Agreed.

If taken at face value, your statement on it hacking the MB system could easily cause confusion in those looking into any of the EVM options, giving them the impression that the ASR/renntech evm is some invasive and potentially problematic option. Others have also interpreted your posts on the matter in such a way previously:

At least now that should no longer be the case, as it seems you merely chose your wording poorly, and weren't intentionally trying to mislead people.
well it confused you clearly; however, to overcome the back and forth where things were lost in translation, I actually netted out the key differences for those making the choice, which seemed to be missing in all of the content previous - you must have missed it while you were busy yelling at the clouds....nice passive aggressive final comment. Actually, if you want to police other peoples bias or language, you might want to check yourself first - your "The options for control provided to the user are merely different." is a great example. Those differences are fundamental and why a buyer would choose one or the other if they knew them. I'm personally here learning and sharing and almost an equal rate - even this thread taught me about the differences and judging by the comments, I think a lot of us didn't know the differences between one vs. the other - I think it was all here, but kind of scattered and some of the comments hard to interpret.

In fact, to avoid confusion, I wrote a summary comparison (below) to try and help those make up there own choice rather than leaving it up to feedback filtered through personal choice. I think it's pretty clear - it actually needed to be changed a few times and different feedback came in from users - feel free to update it if it's wrong on the RENNtech side.

One thing we learned was that some (it looks like UK cars) have a memory setting with their driving dynamics - that isn't reflected below; it seems like a small subset of cars that have that feature.

STOCK:
cold start valve position default:
100% open but closes to default close after warm cycle - approximately 30 seconds
exhaust valves open at start (post warm up): NO
saves exhaust valve setting (open, close etc) from previous run cycle: NO
exhaust open setting: manual or when drive settings set to S+ or RACE, I (if programmed)
valve setting when selected: <100% (limited open to reduce noise)

CETE:
cold start valve position default:
CLOSED
exhaust valves open at start (post warm up): NO
saves exhaust valve setting (open, close etc) from previous run cycle: NO
exhaust open setting: manual operation or when drive settings set to S+ or RACE
valve setting when selected: 100%
switch operation to activate/deactivate the modification: NO (hardwired only)
factory exhaust button work per factory function: YES

RENNtech:
button 1 (on): overrides all factory functions and opens the valves to 100% open
button 2 (off): reverts back to factory settings
Old 11-17-2020, 03:30 PM

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts
2018 AMG GTC
How does one go about getting the ASR module for an AMG GTC coupe?
Old 11-17-2020, 03:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Originally Posted by TN_AMG_GTC
How does one go about getting the ASR module for an AMG GTC coupe?
Use a mail/package forwarding service in Germany. They allow you to setup forwarding mailboxes, and some even have purchasing services as well.
The following users liked this post:
TN_AMG_GTC (11-17-2020)
Old 01-10-2021, 07:43 PM

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
22 (WIFE) & 23 G63,22 TOYO TUNDRA TRD,21 GT BS, 22 McLaren GT,23 DUCATI MULTI V4 PIKES PEAK, 23 S580
Originally Posted by Nik Fisher
Cete fitted yesterday and love it, exactly what i wanted, no extra buttons on fobs etc, total control with one button, it remembers last setting up to an hour after stopping anyway but if longer than that and I want 100% open on ‘warm’ start up, then i just press starter without pressing brake pedal, press exhaust button, then start car et voila! Fully open start up, i’m not that bothered though tbh and mostly prefer a discreet start up, bit nauseating some of the comments on here re loud start up.
Did the unit come with an installation manual? Did you install it yourself? How long did it take you to receive it after ordering it? Thank you
Old 01-12-2021, 08:33 PM

Received 84 Likes on 53 Posts
Porsche gt3 trading to amg gtr
I just installed the Renntech evm and I’m super happy with the results. It took 15 minutes Max to do the job.
my car is a 2020 Gtr pro that desperately needed more noise in idle and low Rpm. ( car has no secondary cats )
Old 01-12-2021, 08:50 PM

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts
2012 C63 AMG Edition1
Originally Posted by V8ray
I just installed the Renntech evm and I’m super happy with the results. It took 15 minutes Max to do the job.
my car is a 2020 Gtr pro that desperately needed more noise in idle and low Rpm. ( car has no secondary cats )
now program your remote to the homelink buttons. Same way you would with your garage remote. This will make your life so much easier going back and forth with stock and renntech settings.
V8ray (01-12-2021)
Old 01-13-2021, 11:24 AM

Received 81 Likes on 40 Posts
AMG GT C
I'm also in the camp of just leaving the valves open all the time. This really isn't a loud car, even with the valves open. I had an EVM on my F430 before this, and folks, that car is loud with the valves open. I had to operate the remote a lot, when going through my neighborhood and even when on a city street. I have not change the setting on my GTC more than about twice, just to hear the difference.

Orcbolg (01-13-2021)