Sponsored by:

Convertible Top Questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-18-2020, 09:41 AM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2019 AMG GTC Roadster
Convertible Top Questions

Leaning towards the GTC Roadster but wondering about the soft top. How do you clean it? How well does it hold up to washing? How long before it starts looking worn? Is the rear window plastic or glass? Wish it was a convertible hard top but wishing doesn't help much.
Thanks.
Old 12-18-2020, 12:58 PM

Received 677 Likes on 359 Posts
2020 GTA; 2022 Audi e-tron GT, 2022 Ford F-150; 1926 Rolls-Royce Springfield 40/50 Playboy roadster
I've only had my roadster for 3 months, but I've owned a lot of convertibles, primarily Mercedes and BMWs.

The rear window is glass. The top is solidly made and it will probably wear very well. The only downside is that I can't bring this to my touchless car wash which puts a lot of water under pressure into areas that will leak.

I also wish the top could have been tucked in a little lower when it is down, but to get the hardshell over the front part of the top probably made the engineering impossible.

I owned 3 BMW 6 series convertibles (2 650is and an M6) as well as Z4 hardtop convertible, and a bunch of SL convertibles going back to a 1971 280 SL, and this is the best convertible top I've ever seen.

I bought an AMG GT coupe a little over 3 years ago when the new grille came out. At that time I wanted a convertible but it wasn't available yet. I traded for the convertible in September and I'm glad I did.
The following 2 users liked this post by MalibuScott:
ChargedMB (12-19-2020), SteveKoz (12-18-2020)
Old 12-18-2020, 01:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 623 Likes on 369 Posts
2020 McLaren 720s Spider
It's everything that Scott just described.

I LOVE my car, but here, I think Porsche has the right idea. The 911 convertible from the 991 onward has the soft top lined with titanium plates; effectively a hard top cloaked with fabric - it essentially bridges the gap between a convertible hardtop and the typical challenges noted above with a soft top convertible.
The following users liked this post:
SteveKoz (12-18-2020)
Old 12-18-2020, 08:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AMG GT Roadster
Convertible Top Cleaner

I agree this is a particularly good soft top and I'm impressed. I clean with this
chemical guys kit chemical guys kit
2 or 4 times per year depending on use. Apart from that I just wipe foam off with a microfiber cloth after using snowfoam canon on the car. I don't drench it or use any type of car wash.
Old 12-19-2020, 10:00 AM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2019 AMG GTC Roadster
Originally Posted by JohnGT
I agree this is a particularly good soft top and I'm impressed. I clean with this chemical guys kit 2 or 4 times per year depending on use. Apart from that I just wipe foam off with a microfiber cloth after using snowfoam canon on the car. I don't drench it or use any type of car wash.
Thanks. The kit looks like a great idea. I just watched their video on the foam canon. Never used one. On your GT you spray down the entire car PLUS the top with this foam and then just wipe the foam off the top? You don't hose it off the top? Trying to figure out how the top won't get drenched? Thanks!
Old 12-19-2020, 02:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AMG GT Roadster
I don't foam the top directly but it naturally gets overspray when applying to the rest of the car. I then wipe down the soft top while still splattered in foam and don't drench it. Gets surface crud off and comes up clean.
SteveKoz (12-20-2020)
Old 12-19-2020, 09:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 220 Likes on 156 Posts
2018 Solarbeam Yellow AMG GTS
Originally Posted by SteveKoz
Thanks. The kit looks like a great idea. I just watched their video on the foam canon. Never used one. On your GT you spray down the entire car PLUS the top with this foam and then just wipe the foam off the top? You don't hose it off the top? Trying to figure out how the top won't get drenched? Thanks!
the top gets drenched in the rain. A hose won’t hurt it .
The following 2 users liked this post by thecutter64:
Skilly (12-19-2020), SteveKoz (12-20-2020)
Old 12-19-2020, 09:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 McLaren 720s Spider
Originally Posted by thecutter64
the top gets drenched in the rain. A hose won’t hurt it .
I cant resist...in other news, water is wet.
Old 12-19-2020, 09:52 PM

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
2018 AMT GT Roadster
My 2018 top is starting to get fold marks and wearing bit on the fold areas, but I do use it a lot here in S FL. Also, convertible are susceptible to water intrusion when the drain plugs get a little dirt (or a leaf covers the tiny hole) in them ... a $9000 issue that will make sure you remember to keep the drain plugs free.
SteveKoz (12-20-2020)
Old 12-19-2020, 10:13 PM

Received 203 Likes on 107 Posts
Make sure you clean the drains or remove any debris. A poster had an issue where it was blocked and water damaged the car pretty badly. That is probably a very rare issue though.

I would powerwash the top with foam before I realized its 1) overkill 2) probably bad for long term wear. It never once had any issues with that though.
SteveKoz (12-20-2020)
Old 12-20-2020, 12:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 McLaren 720s Spider
I use this product for keeping it clean and protected. I have had several convertibles and it does a great job keeping the top as new. I've also used their color products to refresh fading - very easy to use (as long as you mask up) and the results are a 'like new' finish.

MalibuScott (12-20-2020)
Old 12-21-2020, 10:30 AM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
2018 AMG GT-C Roadster; 2018 Range Rover Velar;
I have had the GTC roadster for a little under 3 years based in the UK which can be very wet.

I use the Autoglym Soft Top Cleaner and Protector kit which is routinely the top-rated product in UK surveys and customer reviews.
I find it has completely kept any mould, discolouration, stains and marks completely off and my top looks like new.
I would recommend a breathable outdoor/indoor car cover though if your car is stationary for lengths of time or near foliage.

I would agree very much with the point that you have to keep the drainage channels free of leaves and dirt.
This needs to be cleared out periodically while at the annual service or you can clear out the gunk from the filter plugs under the car (near the side skirts just near the rear wheel at the door handle end)

Not doing so you're likely to have water damage to the ECU modules on both sides of the rear compartment.
This is a very expensive repair - the parts are not that expensive, it is the labour to drain the channels and clean strip the carpets, dry the car (usually done in the paintshop oven under infra red heaters), and the carpets and refit.

That is pretty much it, the convertible top is well made, retracts very quickly and is compact.
In many ways it compares well to other similar tops.

SteveKoz (12-21-2020)