Sponsored by:

AMG Carbon Ceramic Brake Caliper Sticker

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-24-2021, 10:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2017 Tesla Model X
AMG Carbon Ceramic Brake Caliper Sticker

I'm looking for a set of AMG Carbon Ceramic brake stickers as I'm repainting my calipers (AMG GTS). There's a guy on Ebay from Ontario Canada that's an absolute flake. I paid and I'm still waiting over a month later. I'll be asking for a refund soon. Does anyone know where else to purchase a set? The only other place I've found online is in the UK. Over $50 shipped to the US. I'm not that desperate YET. =)

Thanks for your input guys.

JC
Old 02-25-2021, 01:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 700 Likes on 533 Posts
R Nine T
I want to change to ceramic just to be rid of brake dust ! Anyone here done this?
Old 02-25-2021, 02:53 PM

Received 108 Likes on 71 Posts
2016 AMG GTS
Originally Posted by AMG 17GT
I want to change to ceramic just to be rid of brake dust ! Anyone here done this?
Can't answer your question on the ceramic change, I'd guess $7k - $10k to move to ceramics. But I have used HAWK pads for years on performance cars (Nissan GTR, AMG GTS, Porsche etc) and have them on the AMG GTS now, they made a huge difference brake dust-wise over OEM.

Amazon Amazon

The following users liked this post:
AMG 17GT (02-25-2021)
Old 02-26-2021, 05:43 AM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
2018 AMG GT-C Roadster; 2018 Range Rover Velar;
I asked the question - changing a regular brake system to CCB is not easy and is not recommended as a retrofit as the chances of issues, snags that are ultimately safety issues is high.
What you can do is use carbamide or ceramic brake pads on your current brake system as this produces far less brake dust (and claimed better braking performance and longevity)

As you know, CCB brakes have advantages if you track your car or routinely drive in high performance / speed / cornering modes- less fade but peak braking performance comes at warmer (brake) temperatures so not great
If what you want is a cosmetic upgrade - why not try an upgrade/mod with Brembo calipers that look bigger and more purposeful.

Old 02-26-2021, 09:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 878 Likes on 452 Posts
Bentley Continental GT; AMG GT
I haven't entered this conversation because I knew it was about converting the entire brake system from iron rotors with factory pads over to carbon ceramic. Now, base on the last two posts, I'll jump in.

I have a black GT with black wheels. I've had it about 6 months now. This is a certified car with factory specced metallic composite pads which are best for braking under normal driving and track conditions. The brake dust is horrendous! It casts a brownish deposit that gets somewhat burned onto the black wheel and wheel barrels. Almost cannot get it off even with pretty aggressive cleaners, and this is every week.

It lasted until about six weeks ago, then I changed the pads to ceramics. It made a 100% difference. This is not my first rodeo. I've installed ceramic pads on lots of my (performance) cars for years now, because of the same reason and always the same result.

I am not a brake expert, but from what I understand, ceramics are not recommended for track use. They can take a little bit of warming up before they grab well, meaning when you start off in a cold car, braking needs to be a little harder. Once the pads warm up they are normal. On the other end of the spectrum, they apparently do not handle extreme heat well, like what you would experience on a track and supposedly can start to fade. So, if you're just a street warrior battling traffic and normal driving or even aggressive street driving or cruising, long road trips, etc., the ceramics are the answer for brake dust.

I don't track my car, but thinking about it. The factory pads I removed are almost brand new. If I do decide to try this car on the track, I will switch the pads back to factory for that exercise.

So, yes on the ceramic pads for brake dust mitigation.
Old 02-26-2021, 11:48 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3,267 Likes on 2,032 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Changing to MB CCB's can easily cost above $20k. Several members for other models (S-Class, SL) have done this with no issue.There are ZERO technical problems to do so; just financial. Price ranged from $15k to the high twenties.

The majority of the cost is in the rotors but it requires new calipers, pads and some brackets/lines. BTW, all standard MB CCB's (not sure if the Pro has different brakes) are the same across models (E-Class, S-Class, SL, GT models) so when looking for deals you can broaden your search.

Grip is fantastic on CCB's and they don't fade. There are procedures for bedding/burnishing to optimize the use and there are plenty of members here who track with CCB's. Proper prep, fluids and additional cooling ducts seem to do the trick.

Last edited by Wolfman; 02-26-2021 at 12:52 PM.
Old 02-26-2021, 12:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R Nine T
Black/ black here to Acta non Verba. Brown wheels every 4 days when driving. What pads are you using?

Yeah looking on EBay good deal on calipers new for 1800, but I don’t feel like spending months searching for individual parts and then finding someone to install it Wolfman you bring up some good points. Rotors make this project undoable right now. In a few years the parts will probably be more viable.
Old 02-26-2021, 02:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 878 Likes on 452 Posts
Bentley Continental GT; AMG GT
Originally Posted by AMG 17GT
Black/ black here to Acta non Verba. Brown wheels every 4 days when driving. What pads are you using?

Yeah looking on EBay good deal on calipers new for 1800, but I don’t feel like spending months searching for individual parts and then finding someone to install it Wolfman you bring up some good points. Rotors make this project undoable right now. In a few years the parts will probably be more viable.
Wow, you know how to ask the tough questions! Ones I'm too chicken to answer cuz whatever I say will cause a *****storm of snobby responses. It's like asking what brand tires you use, all kinds of "wrong" answers here...LOL

There are pads that run the gambit of price ranges from as little as $40 for all four corners up to $500 plus. For me, and especially since I am very defined how I use the car given the equipment I have on it, I'm not in the $500 range, nor am I in the $40 range. I also don't "buy" the "namedrop" brands. Not that they're not good, but just don't see the point in paying a great portion of the product cost for the name part (head down expecting incoming)

I'm in a range of pads on my GT that are considered performance pads. There are numerous names out there that have a good product, but as I've explained in another post, I wouldn't be tracking this car with them on, just getting groceries...and an occasional beer at the local Yardhouse!

Some of the companies:
Bendix
Raybestos
Brembo
Centric
Dynamic Friction
Power Stop

In no particular order. Most of these companies offer a ceramic compound, make sure it says that. Something else little known, there are not that many brake pad fabricators, just a lot more names selling the same thing under a different brand. A little internet shopping will give you bunches of choices. These brake systems are not that rare.

One word of caution - you appear to have a 17 GT. Make sure you get the correct FRONT pad as every option has a different one. Might be the same with other years, just being cautious here.

If you have a GT you're probably going to have pads that look like these: Look for the little "Batman Ears". You can even see them on the end side of your calipers.

If you have a GTS, it could be this pad, with the little rollers.

Or, If you have the Carbon Ceramic system (I realize you don't), they will look like these:

The rears are far easier.

Finally, I thought I'd share a pic of me so you know what I look like:

Keeping the peace on forums since 1989; one post at a time!

Last edited by Acta_Non_Verba; 02-26-2021 at 03:02 PM.
Old 02-26-2021, 03:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R Nine T
Ha!

Ok brake ceramic pad snobs do not need to chime in here!
Old 02-28-2021, 03:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 159 Likes on 128 Posts
NB8 PARACHUTE
`

https://mercteil.com/product/retrofi...c-brake-system

https://mercteil.com/product/retrofi...ceramic-brakes

There is also computer reprogramming required when when going from iron to CCB's -

On a car that is not tracked the CCB's will last 100k+ miles -

If you have standard brakes how many brake jobs have you already done (not cheap) -

The C217 sub-forum has extensive information on this conversion -

Do a search as CCB's are discussed more in the C217 sub-forum than any other sub-forum -

When ordering a new AMG - CCB's are the best valued option that Mercedes offers -

Thank-You
D.B.

Old 03-07-2021, 10:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 623 Likes on 369 Posts
2020 McLaren 720s Spider
https://www.ebay.com/itm/AMG-Carbon-....c101196.m2219
Old 03-07-2021, 10:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 McLaren 720s Spider
That price is insanity. Literally...I just priced out all of the product IDs at MB of Covington and it tops out at 15K USD. Still not cheap, but 7.5K cheaper than that link. There is a seller on Ebay selling them out of Lativa for 16K but then customs and shipping will pile on.

Acta, Im guessing you dont mean CCBs as a whole don't perform on the track because every race team with a budget will opt for them. If you meant ceramic pads on iron rotors tho...that I agree. I don't think I would take that on a track - I did that swap on a C63s that I had to avoid the brake dust. I worked really well - no dust, but the braking performance suffered. I was using 2x the pressure to get the same braking performance.

I have CCBs on my GTC and love them, and I can only say that I wish that they were on the E63 I just picked up. I looked at the swap (hence knowing the pricing and part numbers), but 15K for an 8K options feels like I need to wait for a wreck to surface. For now, Im going to troll the german EBay and see what turns up.
Old 03-07-2021, 11:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 159 Likes on 128 Posts
NB8 PARACHUTE
`

A friend went from iron to CCB's on his C217 S63 Coupe -

The Mercedes dealership ordered the parts and did the install -

The price was just over $27k -

MBUSA in NY had to redo the warranty paperwork -

He said the improvement was worth it -

The bill is posted in the C217 sub-forum -

Thank-You
D.B.

Old 03-08-2021, 12:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 McLaren 720s Spider
Here are the part numbers for the major parts (this is $14K)...To @Wolfman 's earlier post, it's the same part numbers for both my 2018 GTC and 2021 E63s:

Front Rotors:
231-421-16-12 : $2,730.20
231-421-15-12 : $2,525.60

Front Calipers:
197-421-24-98 : $858.00
197-421-07-98 : $858.00

Rear Rotors:
231-423-06-12: $2,978.80
231-423-07-12 : $3,146.00

Rear Calipers:
231-423-12-81 : $481.38
231-423-11-81 : $473.37

I have no idea why Mercedes has different costs between left and right sides. Pretty much every single thing I have needed from them that had a left and a right has been priced differently.

The following users liked this post:
mbjj57 (04-05-2022)