P04F000 - "WOT regeneration of the active charcoal canister is faulty"

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-05-2021, 02:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'16 AMG GTS Edition 1
P04F000 - "WOT regeneration of the active charcoal canister is faulty"

Hi All:

I have the 2016 AMG GTS Edition 1 and the CEL has been on and off and it feels under-powered when driving.
I did a scan and the P04F000 - "WOT regeneration of the active charcoal canister is faulty" code says "stored" but it's been very consistent lately so I'm sure it'll say "current" very soon.
Prior to this, I had misfires in 3 and 6 but have already switched out all the spark plugs and the ignition coils myself (a very easy but tedious job for this vehicle).
The scan produced no other codes, only the P04F000.
I'm using the Autel MaxiAP200 and its accompanying app.
I've attached screenshots of my scan.

Can anyone confirm the part number and how to access it? I can't find information on this part anywhere except an Ebay listing I chanced upon (screenshot provided) identifying this part as possibly "A0004700559."
I've already pulled off the passenger side rear wheel and pulled away the wheel well liner to find this part myself but I encountered nothing but fully enclosed wheel well so I assume I will have to access the area the part is located from the rear hatch door and pulling out the interior panels from the trunk area.

Thanks in advance and any additional advice is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Ptong88; 03-05-2021 at 02:43 PM. Reason: forgot a photo
Old 03-08-2021, 07:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 877 Likes on 452 Posts
Bentley Continental GT; AMG GT
Hi,

I realize you posted a few days ago. Sorry, I just saw this now. I might not have direct answers for which you are seeking, but maybe I can at least assist in pinpointing the issue (in general) and help with what might have caused a P04f00.

P04f00 often appears on third party scan tools and is probably not accurate with the actual P-code, but, that aside, this code often relates to a failure in the carbon canister and related parts, vent line, purge valve.

I'm NOT going to be able to help you with what actually failed in your case and NOT able to help you with the parts list of replacements to get you back to zero.

Instead, I'd like to help you possibly with what caused this issue in the first place.

So, the question I have for you is:

When you fill up your gas tank. do you:
1. STOP, when the pump shuts off at the first click?
or
2. Do you continue to add fuel AFTER the first click, over and over until you feel like you're filling the tank to the brim?

If you tend to do #2 - STOP! That might have cause this issue. It is IMPORTANT on ANY modern car, STOP filling at the first click and do not continue to fill over and over.

Doing this causes raw fuel to fill the vent line and soaks the carbon canister with raw fuel. The carbon canister is not capable of handling raw fuel, it is designed to filter fuel vapors. When you continue to fill the tank past the first click, raw fuel enters the carbon canister via the vent line. When the canister becomes soaked with raw fuel it will no longer process vapors and the purge valve will eventually fail.

I'm putting all of this out there for you to answer the first question - If you fill the tank this way, it probably caused your problem.

I cannot offer precise repair info for you on the C190, but some fixes I've seen are:

Purge valve bad
Carbon canister bad.
Vent line bad.

I know this reply is late for you now and you might have already solved your issue.

Best to you getting back to normal.
The following 6 users liked this post by Acta_Non_Verba:
California John (03-08-2021), Case1906 (03-21-2021), garymac (03-09-2021), jonathan358 (11-06-2022), MercAMGgts2016 (03-08-2021), realien (03-09-2021) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-19-2021, 06:08 PM

'16 AMG GTS Edition 1
Originally Posted by Acta_Non_Verba
Hi,

I realize you posted a few days ago. Sorry, I just saw this now. I might not have direct answers for which you are seeking, but maybe I can at least assist in pinpointing the issue (in general) and help with what might have caused a P04f00.

P04f00 often appears on third party scan tools and is probably not accurate with the actual P-code, but, that aside, this code often relates to a failure in the carbon canister and related parts, vent line, purge valve.

I'm NOT going to be able to help you with what actually failed in your case and NOT able to help you with the parts list of replacements to get you back to zero.

Instead, I'd like to help you possibly with what caused this issue in the first place.

So, the question I have for you is:

When you fill up your gas tank. do you:
1. STOP, when the pump shuts off at the first click?
or
2. Do you continue to add fuel AFTER the first click, over and over until you feel like you're filling the tank to the brim?

If you tend to do #2 - STOP! That might have cause this issue. It is IMPORTANT on ANY modern car, STOP filling at the first click and do not continue to fill over and over.

Doing this causes raw fuel to fill the vent line and soaks the carbon canister with raw fuel. The carbon canister is not capable of handling raw fuel, it is designed to filter fuel vapors. When you continue to fill the tank past the first click, raw fuel enters the carbon canister via the vent line. When the canister becomes soaked with raw fuel it will no longer process vapors and the purge valve will eventually fail.

I'm putting all of this out there for you to answer the first question - If you fill the tank this way, it probably caused your problem.

I cannot offer precise repair info for you on the C190, but some fixes I've seen are:

Purge valve bad
Carbon canister bad.
Vent line bad.

I know this reply is late for you now and you might have already solved your issue.

Best to you getting back to normal.
Thank you for your response! Yes, I believe the issue began when I topped off my fills.... Since learning what this code could mean, I have stopped doing this completely but the code stays pretty regularly now.

Hoping to find a solution/fix.

Again, many thanks!
The following users liked this post:
AMG 17GT (03-19-2021)
Old 03-19-2021, 08:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 700 Likes on 533 Posts
R Nine T
Acta Non Verba please do tell where you work or have all of this great information...
Old 03-19-2021, 09:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by AMG 17GT
Acta Non Verba please do tell where you work or have all of this great information...
Didn't know I'd need to submit a resume to participate here
Old 03-19-2021, 10:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 700 Likes on 533 Posts
R Nine T
Didn't know I'd need to submit a resume to participate here
You certainly do not. Sicilian here as well, piqued my curiosity.

Whatever serves your comfort level.
Old 03-19-2021, 10:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Well, so far in my SHORT time here, I've been chastised a "few" times for "steering" threads off course, and I admitted my guilt in those unfortunate circumstances. Now here I am facing a familiar "cattle prod" and realize if I reply, I'll likely be ZAPPED again, and as much as I "like it" here communing with all of you fine upstanding individuals, I can't help to anticipate that electric charge coming at me once again......Capiche!
Old 03-20-2021, 07:44 AM

Received 108 Likes on 71 Posts
2016 AMG GTS
Well, so far in my SHORT time here, I've been chastised a "few" times for "steering" threads off course, and I admitted my guilt in those unfortunate circumstances. Now here I am facing a familiar "cattle prod" and realize if I reply, I'll likely be ZAPPED again, and as much as I "like it" here communing with all of you fine upstanding individuals, I can't help to anticipate that electric charge coming at me once again......Capiche!
I love the detail and knowledge you have, you share it freely and are not arrogant about it, confidence is a good thing, arrogance is not. I would be interested to hear how you have access to all the information you do, I assume you were or are in the industry on engine design or at least ECU. This forum has some people who add no value and it has some people get upset at the slightest thing, pretty normal for the world I'd expect. Please keep sharing your knowledge, for one find it very valuable.
Ptong88 (03-20-2021)
Old 03-20-2021, 10:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Ptong88
Thank you for your response! Yes, I believe the issue began when I topped off my fills.... Since learning what this code could mean, I have stopped doing this completely but the code stays pretty regularly now.

Hoping to find a solution/fix.

Again, many thanks!
Hi Ptong:

Have you tried deleting the CEL, and, if so, does it come right back? This is a P0xxx code. Just about any scan tool with erase capable should delete it. If it does keep coming back, I'd put my money on either the purge valve or the canister, or maybe even both. I cannot give you any RR details, I'm just too new on this platform to be of any help there.

Driving with this CEL is not any big deal, but if you're in a loc that has any level of emissions testing, you'll need to get it resolved by then BC you'll fail any emissions testing. Even if you do get it solved and from a time perspective, you're close to an inspection time, you'll want to make sure all drive cycles are completed.
Ptong88 (03-20-2021)
Old 03-20-2021, 07:52 PM

'16 AMG GTS Edition 1
Hi Ptong:

Have you tried deleting the CEL, and, if so, does it come right back? This is a P0xxx code. Just about any scan tool with erase capable should delete it. If it does keep coming back, I'd put my money on either the purge valve or the canister, or maybe even both. I cannot give you any RR details, I'm just too new on this platform to be of any help there.

Driving with this CEL is not any big deal, but if you're in a loc that has any level of emissions testing, you'll need to get it resolved by then BC you'll fail any emissions testing. Even if you do get it solved and from a time perspective, you're close to an inspection time, you'll want to make sure all drive cycles are completed.
Hello Again!

Yes, I have used my Autel scanner to erase this code multiple times but it continues to return. Because of the issue, while I do understand the car is still driveable, I do experience slight power loss and weird shift patterns.
I really appreciate your assistance! Give yourself more credit.

Thanks for taking the time, bud!
xaibqazi (01-22-2024)
Old 07-13-2024, 11:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 C63S AMG Weistec W4
Originally Posted by Ptong88
Hello Again!

Yes, I have used my Autel scanner to erase this code multiple times but it continues to return. Because of the issue, while I do understand the car is still driveable, I do experience slight power loss and weird shift patterns.
I really appreciate your assistance! Give yourself more credit.

Thanks for taking the time, bud!
Were you able to resolve this issue?

I'm dealing with the same issue, except I notice a lot of power loss.

Thanks!