GTBS A Daily Driver?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-15-2021 | 01:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 AMG SL63
GTBS A Daily Driver?

I got a message from "someone" about a BS perhaps being available. Yeah over MSRP - but that's not my question. Does anyone know if it could be a DD? My last AMG (had for three years) was a GTC and it was lovely - definitely nicer than the GTS I'd had before. But for me, a GTBS or any other car for that matter would have to be a DD. I would drive it low miles as I'm retired and I live near good roads as well. But I can't live in a shake machine. My years of racing SCCA in sports racer are long gone!

Anyway, any ideas gentlemen?
John
Old 07-15-2021 | 01:23 PM

AMG GT R Pro
I would daily it with a car seat for my daughter. Daily my Pro as well.

Everyones expectations of daily driver are different as everyone has different tolerances for: comfort, damage, ease, accessibility etc

The following 3 users liked this post by jn66:
AMGBEASTMODE (07-16-2021), daybx (07-19-2021), JSwan724 (07-16-2021)
Old 07-15-2021 | 01:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 AMG G63
Originally Posted by California John
I got a message from "someone" about a BS perhaps being available. Yeah over MSRP - but that's not my question. Does anyone know if it could be a DD? My last AMG (had for three years) was a GTC and it was lovely - definitely nicer than the GTS I'd had before. But for me, a GTBS or any other car for that matter would have to be a DD. I would drive it low miles as I'm retired and I live near good roads as well. But I can't live in a shake machine. My years of racing SCCA in sports racer are long gone!

John
John:
I say buy it. Then when I come to the left coast I can drive yours and drink all your beer while mine stays in my garage here on the right coast.
We can go find Scott and take him out for a steak and a few beers.

Seriously, I don’t think the flat plane crank motor will shake much if at all. It seems to be smooth power. Now whether you should daily drive it or not may hinge on whether you want to flip it while the market is hot and get another GTC or R.

Best regards

Jerry

Last edited by JSwan724; 07-15-2021 at 01:29 PM.
The following users liked this post:
MalibuScott (07-15-2021)
Old 07-15-2021 | 01:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 AMG G63

John
John:
I say buy it. Then when I come to the left coast I can drive yours and drink all your beer while mine stays in my garage here on the right coast.

Seriously, I don’t think the flat plane crank motor will shake much if at all. It seems to be smooth power. Now whether you should daily drive it or not may hinge on whether you want to flip it while the market is hot and get another GTC or R.

Best regards

Jerry
Old 07-15-2021 | 01:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
I can't imagine that you couldn't, it's definitely quiet enough to work well as one, but I have no clue how stiff it actually is compared to a GTR, so that could be an issue. I'd wonder how hard it'd be to get a test drive as well, to find out for sure.
Old 07-15-2021 | 02:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 AMG SL63
Originally Posted by JSwan724
John:

Best regards

Jerry
Damn! Man remembers my kegerator! Humidors also? I guess I wonder about the suspension. Is there an old guy soft setting? And yes, t'would be fun to take it to one of the local tracks just for grins! Love to get it out of turn 5 at Willow and see how long I could keep my foot to the floor as I get to 9. I'm grinning from ear to ear thinking about it.
Old 07-15-2021 | 04:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 AMG G63
Damn! Man remembers my kegerator! Humidors also? I guess I wonder about the suspension. Is there an old guy soft setting? And yes, t'would be fun to take it to one of the local tracks just for grins! Love to get it out of turn 5 at Willow and see how long I could keep my foot to the floor as I get to 9. I'm grinning from ear to ear thinking about it.
We only live once.

The ride/comfort issue may be best assessed by a GTR PRO driver since both will have the coil over suspension system.

Remember, they are all rough initially even in Comfort mode.

I’m going for a cold beer now…

Last edited by JSwan724; 07-16-2021 at 08:38 PM.
Old 07-16-2021 | 10:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
It's a very Special car, does not make sense driving daily though.
It just doesn't work, I learned the hard way, tried to pull it off with a 599 I got new in 2007, a much, much less radical car then B.S. and it didn't work for me.
The reason is, that "specialness" and sense of occasion quickly disappears when driving it daily, it just becomes a normal car, not impressing you anymore every time you get behind the wheel.
If anything, it is even more frustrating to drive daily then any "regular" car, traffic congestion, crawling in stop and go behind a hypermiling Prius, etc.
Use a car like that only for fun drives, no purpose rides other then to provide you with entertainment instead of just going to pick up a bag of concrete to fix the walkway in your yard.
The following 5 users liked this post by absent:
57 GTR (07-16-2021), California John (07-16-2021), garymac (07-17-2021), NYCSoiL (07-16-2021), Surge (07-19-2021)
Old 07-16-2021 | 10:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML350
Depends on what your definition of daily driver is. If the daily driver is something you drive on the PCH once a week, then for sure. In downtown city traffic I’ll probably pass. I’d be paranoid driving a $500,000 car around other people in daily traffic though.
Old 07-16-2021 | 04:45 PM

2018 Diamond White GT-R
I say go for it since you obviously have the means to afford it. As you stated your retired so you don't have to use it if you don't want to as opposed to a 9 to 5 where it would be subject to every-day wear and tear..
Old 07-16-2021 | 04:51 PM

The ride/comfort issue may be best assessed by a GTR PRO driver since both will have the coil over suspension system
Since I installed a mid-rise scissor lift (good pandemic-at-home project), I've played with my (otherwise stock setup) GTR Pro's shock settings. In the factory-sealed setting, they're set to be a general track setting (according to the KW setup manual). As such, they're shockingly stiff (pun intended) and the car has a lot of tire noise and is jarring on both sharp bumps and short undulations (say up to 6 ft/1 m).

After backing off the settings, I was able to get the car to ride more acceptably and have a little less tire noise, though it's still stiffer than the 2016 C63 S it replaces. WRT the tire noise, I suspect a lot of this is due to 3 other factors, as well; the seating proximity to the (large) rear tires, the Cup 2 tires (I'd bet PS4S would be much quieter) and I suspect the (North American model) hatch-area cross-brace also transmits noise.

Even with the backed-off settings, the car is still quite stiff and sharp bumps are very harsh ... e.g., just running over raised reflective lane markers will be "well" felt and heard. Still, the car is much more pleasant as a street car with the settings adjusted, particularly the bump/compression settings. For me, the rebound settings seem to have little to no perceivable impact during street driving ... but we do have vehicle impound laws so I tend to drive quite sanely, on the street.

In case anyone is interested, I've attached my setup info and the doc from KW, which I've posted previously.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
KW Setup Manual.pdf (563.3 KB, 46 views)
File Type: pdf
GTR Pro Shock Settings.pdf (26.4 KB, 18 views)
The following 2 users liked this post by user33:
California John (07-18-2021), JSwan724 (07-16-2021)
Old 07-17-2021 | 02:59 PM

AMG GT C
Originally Posted by absent
It's a very Special car, does not make sense driving daily though.
It just doesn't work, I learned the hard way, tried to pull it off with a 599 I got new in 2007, a much, much less radical car then B.S. and it didn't work for me.
The reason is, that "specialness" and sense of occasion quickly disappears when driving it daily, it just becomes a normal car, not impressing you anymore every time you get behind the wheel.
If anything, it is even more frustrating to drive daily then any "regular" car, traffic congestion, crawling in stop and go behind a hypermiling Prius, etc.
Use a car like that only for fun drives, no purpose rides other then to provide you with entertainment instead of just going to pick up a bag of concrete to fix the walkway in your yard.
I agree with this. I would only DD this car if I had an Enzo or two lying about for "special" drives. ;-)
Old 07-17-2021 | 04:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 AMG G63
Originally Posted by Doctodd33
Depends on what your definition of daily driver is. If the daily driver is something you drive on the PCH once a week, then for sure. In downtown city traffic I’ll probably pass. I’d be paranoid driving a $500,000 car around other people in daily traffic though.
Now you know you would like to cruise South Beach in a GTBS and give the Beautiful People a look at some car eye candy.
Old 07-17-2021 | 05:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R Nine T
Now you know you would like to cruise South Beach in a GTBS and give the Beautiful People a look at some car eye candy.
Think he wants ear candy …
The following users liked this post:
JSwan724 (07-17-2021)