2018 GT C Outside Air Temperature gauge

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-19-2021, 03:59 PM

Received 81 Likes on 40 Posts
AMG GT C
2018 GT C Outside Air Temperature gauge

My OAT read 8 to 10 degrees warmer than it actually is. It's not a huge deal but I do like knowing the temperature, especially when it is near freezing.

Is there any way to calibrate the thermal sensor, or might there be an easy fix? Or is this just a thing with this year/model?

Old 07-19-2021, 05:45 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,345 Likes on 2,065 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by Saudio
My OAT read 8 to 10 degrees warmer than it actually is. It's not a huge deal but I do like knowing the temperature, especially when it is near freezing.

Is there any way to calibrate the thermal sensor, or might there be an easy fix? Or is this just a thing with this year/model?
Isn’t the ambient air temp sensor still installed in the front bumper?
If so, the reading will be off due to the higher temp of the road surface…
Old 07-19-2021, 06:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 412 Likes on 288 Posts
W463 G550 / C190 GTC //prev: W204 C63 507 / R170
It shouldn’t be off by 8-10 degrees. Mine is within 2-3C…
If your GTC is under warranty, get it checked out,
Old 07-19-2021, 07:00 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,345 Likes on 2,065 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Mine is always off and always warmer in the summer. Maybe not 10 but 6-8 is easy during the day...
Old 07-20-2021, 11:46 AM

Received 81 Likes on 40 Posts
AMG GT C
Originally Posted by Wolfman
Mine is always off and always warmer in the summer. Maybe not 10 but 6-8 is easy during the day...
Which is basically useless. It is under warranty, maybe I'll have the dealer have a look as suggested.
Old 06-22-2022, 07:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mine is off too +3-5C. @Saudio did you get yours checked out? It doesn’t really bother me, but curious if it’s the same for all cars.
Old 06-25-2022, 06:37 PM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
AMG GTC
I just noticed that mine was also off today by approximately 15F driving in traffic in Philadelphia earlier today…

Old 06-25-2022, 08:07 PM

Received 680 Likes on 362 Posts
2020 GTA; 2022 Audi e-tron GT, 2022 Ford F-150; 1926 Rolls-Royce Springfield 40/50 Playboy roadster
Isn't pavement temperature hotter than ambient temperature at 5-6 feet? Isn't that especially true for asphalt?
Old 06-25-2022, 08:13 PM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
AMG GTC
Makes sense if the gauge is supposed to be the road temp and not the ambient temp
Old 06-25-2022, 09:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Right, makes sense. And it seems like it’s consistent among all GTs
Old 06-26-2022, 09:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 880 Likes on 453 Posts
Bentley Continental GT; AMG GT
So, this air temp gauge has a sensor that is very low in the front grille. Mine is in the lefthand corner of the bottom center grill and measures 9 inches from the ground. The air temp reading is what I call one of the "lazy gauges", others in the car like the trans fluid temp gauge do the same. It is designed NOT to read instantaneous changes in air temp, instead it "accumulates" instant changes, then reads out periodically. If it did report instantly, the temp readout would almost take on a flash as the temps around the sensor change because of certain driving conditions; but also, with the sensor so close to the pavement, in the hot summer, the readout would look crazy in stop/go traffic in July.

Keep in mind the intended purpose of the air temp info to the driver. It occurs at the other end of the spectrum, when temps are cold, very cold, and when the street temp is reaching the freezing point. This is the entire point of the outside air temp readout to the driver and is why these sensors are always found as low as possible in the front grill. Here it is really important the sensor is close to the street surface, the closer the better as in all cases, the ambient air temp varies in layers always coldest in the lowest layer except where high heat radiates off the pavement where the sensor is. Every car I've owned with an ambient air temp is/was designed to warn me at about 37*F that the street surface could possibly be icing. At the higher end of the spectrum, the readout has less value...maybe to the tracked car it is helpful.

In Scottsdale where I live, and in June/July, I can see air temp readouts on my dash at 120*F, when the given air temps are not nearly that high, but I'll only see that if I am standing still in traffic and the sensor is reading the heat radiating off the hot pavement (long traffic light; stop/go crawls; stopped at a train crossing at high noon). Otherwise, BECAUSE of the "lazy gauge" design, once I get out of the garage ambient air temps, the readout will eventually rise to somewhat match the real outside air temps, but only really when I am in constant motion such as driving on the highway.

Last edited by Acta_Non_Verba; 07-12-2022 at 05:47 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Acta_Non_Verba:
ChungDTX (08-20-2022), Saudio (06-26-2022), Surge (06-26-2022)
Old 06-26-2022, 09:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Acta_Non_Verba
So, this air temp gauge has a sensor that is very low in the front grille. Mine is in the lefthand corner of the bottom center grill and measures 9 inches from the ground. The air temp reading is what I call one of the "lazy gauges", others in the car like the trans fluid temp gauge do the same. It is designed NOT to read instantaneous changes in air temp, instead it "accumulates" instant changes, then reads out periodically. If it did that, the temp readout would almost take on a flash as the temps around the sensor change because of certain driving conditions; but also, with the sensor so close to the pavement, in the hot summer, the readout would look crazy in stop/go traffic in July.

Keep in mind the intended purpose of the air temp info to the driver. It occurs at the other end of the spectrum, when temps are cold, very cold, and when the street temp is reaching the freezing point. This is the entire point of the outside air temp readout to the driver and is why these sensors are always found as low as possible in the front grill. Here it is really important the sensor is close to the street surface, the closer the better as in all cases, the ambient air temp varies in layers always coldest in the lowest layer except where high heat radiates off the pavement where the sensor is. Every car I've owned with an ambient air temp is/was designed to warn me at about 37*F that the street surface could possibly be icing. At the higher end of the spectrum, the readout has less value...maybe to the tracked car it is helpful.

In Scottsdale where I live, and in June/July, I can see air temp readouts on my dash at 120*F, when the given air temps are not nearly that high, but I'll only see that if I am standing still in traffic and the sensor is reading the heat radiating off the hot pavement (long traffic light; stop/go crawls; stopped at a train crossing at high noon). Otherwise, BECAUSE of the "lazy gauge" design, once I get out of the garage ambient air temps, the readout will eventually rise to somewhat match the real outside air temps, but only really when I am in constant motion such as driving on the highway.
Amazing insights! Thank you!