Sponsored by:

Anyone go from GTS to C63s?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-05-2021, 11:54 AM

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts
2017 AMG GTS
Anyone go from GTS to C63s?

As much as I adore my GTS, I can't deny that I am a bit tired of the harsh ride, creaks and rattles, tire-roar, and the annoyance of getting in and out of it when running a bunch of errands. My wife also hates being a passenger in it for all of those reasons, plus the fact that the seat side-bolsters are too high for her and end up in her armpit, haha.

As much as a new C63s is quite a big step down in many ways, it also has a bunch of plusses that would be welcome, and I'd like to be back in a car with a full bumper-to-bumper warranty.

Anyone done this (or the other way around) or know anyone that has?
Old 08-05-2021, 01:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 700 Likes on 533 Posts
R Nine T
I don’t think you’ll be happy at the end of the day with that particular downgrade. I would promise you if you installed renntech springs and put on some proper Michelin P4S tires with the proper pressure, the car will ride very plush.

Seats in C are the same.
Old 08-05-2021, 01:20 PM

2017 AMG GTS
Very interesting. Are those springs progressive rate and is the static rate lower than the OE springs?

I assume that the P4S's have a more compliant sidewall?

Originally Posted by AMG 17GT
I don’t think you’ll be happy at the end of the day with that particular downgrade. I would promise you if you installed renntech springs and put on some proper Michelin P4S tires with the proper pressure, the car will ride very plush.

Seats in C are the same.
Old 08-05-2021, 01:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R Nine T
Originally Posted by enjracing
Very interesting. Are those springs progressive rate and is the static rate lower than the OE springs?

I assume that the P4S's have a more compliant sidewall?
They are not progressive, but they are very compliant. So rate is lower. Before installing them on my car, ride was like a pogo stick and was banging off of every bump.

New P4S is available in 305 and 315/ 35 sidewall (very compliant) and has a new acoustic bead which lowers road noise.
Old 08-05-2021, 01:34 PM

2017 AMG GTS
Thanks man, both are definitely a huge consideration then.

You are referring to the RENNtech coil-over kit, right? The one that uses the OE shocks and struts, or do they also make just springs?

I'd love to knock-out some road noise. It's overwhelming on bad highways, even with the music WAY up.

They are not progressive, but they are very compliant. So rate is lower. Before putting them on my car, my car rode like a pogo stick and was banging off of every bump.

New P4S is available in 305 and 315/ 35 sidewall (very compliant) and has a new acoustic bead which lowers road noise.
Old 08-05-2021, 02:24 PM

Received 288 Likes on 114 Posts
2007 S65 AMG-Sold, 2007 SL55 P030 - 2016 GL450 - - 2017 AMG GTS - Sold - 2015 AMG S65
My wife shares the same point of view

Thanks man, both are definitely a huge consideration then.

You are referring to the RENNtech coil-over kit, right? The one that uses the OE shocks and struts, or do they also make just springs?

I'd love to knock-out some road noise. It's overwhelming on bad highways, even with the music WAY up.
I love the GTS ride but wife has a bad back and has the same point of view about the ride so with her I end up driving the S65 or SL55.
I would like to check out and get the details on the Renntech package as well.

Thanks

Old 08-05-2021, 02:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R Nine T
[QUOTE=enjracing;8389775]Thanks man, both are definitely a huge consideration then.

I'd love to knock-out some road noise. It's overwhelming on bad highways, even with the music WAY up.[/QUOTE

Yes coil-overs. It really is remarkable how over-sprung these GTs are. And you can adjust ride height to your liking.
Old 08-05-2021, 03:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,568 Posts
2019 C63CS
Calling it a downgrade is relative, IMHO. In some ways it's actually an upgrade. For example the 2019+ C63S have the 9-stage traction control from the GT R and above. Even if you don't select the levels yourself, it does a superior job at making most of the available traction. The 2019+ also have AMG DYNAMICS which was first introduced in the GT R Pro. It takes the driving dynamics to a new level. The C63S coupe is a more practical and usable coupe than the GT for every day situations. The GT is better on the track, though. But the C63 coupe not necessarily easier to get in and out with the performance seats, although you can get it with non-performance seats. The sedan is no longer an option in case that's what you are considering at least if you want to buy new and the 2022 coupe run is gonna be very short. From what I'm hearing pretty much all allocations are already gone. There's going to be a final edition supposedly coming out Summer 2022. I personally took my 2019 C63S coupe over a GT. I get more out of it than with a GT, unless I'd regularly go to the track.
Old 08-05-2021, 03:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R Nine T
Super Swiss, If you’re not tracking it why is the traction control important? What’s odd is that you still believe that on the track GT is a better choice. Forgot C has an awful MCT as well. DCT much better tranny.
Old 08-05-2021, 04:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Super Swiss, If you’re not tracking it why is the traction control important? What’s odd is that you still believe that on the track GT is a better choice. Forgot C has an awful MCT as well. DCT much better tranny.
Because if you gun it with the traditional TC anywhere and don't turn off ESP, TC will trip over itself cutting in with the brakes to get the wheel spin under control. The 9-stage TC is directly integrated into the ECU and manages the engine torque to keep wheel spin at the desired level. It's much more dynamic and controls wheel spin more accurately to let the tire hook up. It's a big difference if you haven't experienced it yet. Traditional TC systems are reactive and go into panic mode when traction is lost. The 9-stage is proactive and manages traction mostly by regulating the engine torque and with the help of the e-diff. Brakes are rarely used to get wheel spin under control. The result is the car can be driven more fluidly and more dynamically w/o violent cut ins from the TC, so ultimately it's more fun and faster in the canyons where I mostly get my fix.

On the transmission front, I actually have to disagree with you. Not sure if you are talking about the 7-MCT. If you are then I agree, but the 9-MCT in the 2019+ is something else. It's sharp and fast and not laggy like the 7-MCT. I love dual-clutch transmissions, but they are only good and fast when shifting sequentially. The Achilles heel of a DCT are the non-sequential shifts when the next predicted gear is not the one that's needed, for example when you suddenly need kickdown to get out of the way on the highway. Especially if the next needed gear is on the same shaft as the current gear then the shift is super slow compared to a sequential shift. The MCT on the other hand never needs to mesh gears. They are always meshed and any shift is just a matter of opening and closing one or more clutches. There are seven of them. The party trick of the MCT is dropping from 9 to 4 in less than a 100ms during kickdown. It's the fastest kickdown I've ever experienced. Fast sequential shifting is great on the track and when you are driving the car hard and shift in manual mode, but in daily driving you often need to skip gears, which the DCT doesn't handle nearly as well as the MCT. Since the MCT still has a clutch instead of a torque converter it combines the best of a DCT with the best of an AT, making it overall a better transmission. As I said at least the 9-speed. The 7-speed was indeed pretty aweful.

Last edited by superswiss; 08-05-2021 at 04:27 PM.
Old 08-05-2021, 04:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R Nine T
Yes traction control is a nuisance on a DCT. What I do is program TC in the most aggressive off position in sport plus (usual driving ), even though it’s never truly “off”, but much less interference.

At the end of the day, this car is discontinued and will be a classic IMO. Not sure why you would ever want to trade that in for a C class.
Old 08-05-2021, 04:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Yes traction control is a nuisance on a DCT. What I do is program TC in the most aggressive off position in sport plus (usual driving ), even though it’s never truly “off”, but much less interference.

At the end of the day, this car is discontinued and will be a classic IMO. Not sure why you would ever want to trade that in for a C class.
Well, so is the V8 C63 essentially. It's the end of an era. Most allocations are gone for 2022, because many want to get the last V8 C63. They are going for $5k-$20k over MSRP at the moment. Not sure a GT or GT S will be a classic. The BS maybe. They produced way too many variants of the GT and the production numbers were never limited. Anybody who wanted one could essentially get one.
Old 08-05-2021, 07:24 PM

2017 AMG GTS
I raced cars professionally for a living for 12 years so I'd never track a street car. For me all of the "track" stuff is utterly unnecessary, That's one of the reasons that I would consider the C over the GT, but if you're telling me that there aren't any available, I guess there's my answer, haha. I won't buy used right now as used are going for new prices, which is a joke.

Originally Posted by superswiss
Calling it a downgrade is relative, IMHO. In some ways it's actually an upgrade. For example the 2019+ C63S have the 9-stage traction control from the GT R and above. Even if you don't select the levels yourself, it does a superior job at making most of the available traction. The 2019+ also have AMG DYNAMICS which was first introduced in the GT R Pro. It takes the driving dynamics to a new level. The C63S coupe is a more practical and usable coupe than the GT for every day situations. The GT is better on the track, though. But the C63 coupe not necessarily easier to get in and out with the performance seats, although you can get it with non-performance seats. The sedan is no longer an option in case that's what you are considering at least if you want to buy new and the 2022 coupe run is gonna be very short. From what I'm hearing pretty much all allocations are already gone. There's going to be a final edition supposedly coming out Summer 2022. I personally took my 2019 C63S coupe over a GT. I get more out of it than with a GT, unless I'd regularly go to the track.
Old 08-05-2021, 07:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R Nine T
Well, so is the V8 C63 essentially. It's the end of an era. Most allocations are gone for 2022, because many want to get the last V8 C63. They are going for $5k-$20k over MSRP at the moment. Not sure a GT or GT S will be a classic. The BS maybe. They produced way too many variants of the GT and the production numbers were never limited. Anybody who wanted one could essentially get one.
I guess I should’ve said it earlier the GT is way more iconic in body, one off chassis and V-8 engine that’s all.
The following 3 users liked this post by AMG 17GT:
BBS63 (08-07-2021), Surge (08-11-2021), ZephyrAMG (08-05-2021)
Old 08-05-2021, 07:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
I raced cars professionally for a living for 12 years so I'd never track a street car. For me all of the "track" stuff is utterly unnecessary, That's one of the reasons that I would consider the C over the GT, but if you're telling me that there aren't any available, I guess there's my answer, haha. I won't buy used right now as used are going for new prices, which is a joke.
I don't race professionally, but yes that's essentially my position as well. I don't really track my cars, other than maybe once or twice to explore the limits. I did European Delivery with my C63 and doing a few laps on the Nurburgring is pretty much mandatory . But the C63 is just the better everyday coupe. It has usable rear seats for the occasional passengers. For example I was able to take my parents around who live in Switzerland while I was there and it has an enclosed properly shaped trunk, so I could fit two Samsonite luggage for the 2 months I travelled around Europe and none of the cargo is visible from the outside potentially attracting thieves, which is a real problem around here. SUVs, hatchbacks etc., basically cars w/o enclosed trunks are regularly broken into. If you have the cargo cover closed, the thieves essentially figure that you are hiding something so they break in anyway. Not an issue with a sedan or coupe, especially MBs since you can only drop the rear seats from inside the trunk. Car & Driver I believe it was essentially echoed this when they reviewed the 2019 C63S. For the money you simply get more with the C than you get with the GT. And it's got the looks and stance with the Aero package.

Yes, the used car market is crazy right now, but as I said in my other post, new coupes are going for up to $20k over MSRP at the moment, so pick your poison. At least the high used car prices means high trade-in values as well.

Last edited by superswiss; 08-05-2021 at 07:49 PM.
Old 08-06-2021, 07:34 AM

Received 288 Likes on 114 Posts
2007 S65 AMG-Sold, 2007 SL55 P030 - 2016 GL450 - - 2017 AMG GTS - Sold - 2015 AMG S65
Confirmation...

They are not progressive, but they are very compliant. So rate is lower. Before installing them on my car, ride was like a pogo stick and was banging off of every bump.

Can you confirm that the Renntech coil overs you used had this number SKU:Coil-Over:32.190.1000

Thanks much appreciated your input on this subject.

Best H
Old 08-06-2021, 08:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R Nine T
Originally Posted by Hendrik Koster
Can you confirm that the Renntech coil overs you used had this number SKU:Coil-Over:32.190.1000

Thanks much appreciated your input on this subject.

Best H
Yes.
Old 08-06-2021, 08:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,466 Likes on 966 Posts
No more MB:(
GT/GTS will not be the classic. GTR and above will for sure. GTC who knows. There were too many variants of the GT model made. I agree, for the money the C coupe is the play even as special looking and cool the GT is.
The following 3 users liked this post by places:
Orcbolg (08-06-2021), reignz (08-11-2021), superswiss (08-06-2021)
Old 08-06-2021, 02:48 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2019 AMG GTC Roadster
For me there is no comparison between the GTC and the C63S. GTC body has such a unique look that seems to standout whenever I see one. I want one for a toy and not a daily driver which might make a difference. Also looking for a convertible.
The following users liked this post:
reignz (08-11-2021)
Old 08-09-2021, 02:07 PM

2017 AMG GTS
I agree with all of that and your car looks amazing. 20k over sticker?!!!! Wow. As I'm selling privately and will fetch 5-8k more than I would have just 6-12 months ago, I wouldn't mind paying sticker, but I'll wait it out before i pay over sticker lol.

I don't race professionally, but yes that's essentially my position as well. I don't really track my cars, other than maybe once or twice to explore the limits. I did European Delivery with my C63 and doing a few laps on the Nurburgring is pretty much mandatory . But the C63 is just the better everyday coupe. It has usable rear seats for the occasional passengers. For example I was able to take my parents around who live in Switzerland while I was there and it has an enclosed properly shaped trunk, so I could fit two Samsonite luggage for the 2 months I travelled around Europe and none of the cargo is visible from the outside potentially attracting thieves, which is a real problem around here. SUVs, hatchbacks etc., basically cars w/o enclosed trunks are regularly broken into. If you have the cargo cover closed, the thieves essentially figure that you are hiding something so they break in anyway. Not an issue with a sedan or coupe, especially MBs since you can only drop the rear seats from inside the trunk. Car & Driver I believe it was essentially echoed this when they reviewed the 2019 C63S. For the money you simply get more with the C than you get with the GT. And it's got the looks and stance with the Aero package.

Yes, the used car market is crazy right now, but as I said in my other post, new coupes are going for up to $20k over MSRP at the moment, so pick your poison. At least the high used car prices means high trade-in values as well.

Old 08-09-2021, 02:11 PM

2017 AMG GTS
I have a GTS, which isn't nearly as cool looking as a GTC.

Originally Posted by SteveKoz
For me there is no comparison between the GTC and the C63S. GTC body has such a unique look that seems to standout whenever I see one. I want one for a toy and not a daily driver which might make a difference. Also looking for a convertible.
Old 08-09-2021, 04:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 411 Likes on 287 Posts
W463 G550 / C190 GTC //prev: W204 C63 507 / R170
The GT coupe will definitely be a classic. Very limited numbers - it makes the 911 GT3 seem “mass produced”, and it’s the last flagship AMG that will not be a hybrid.

Not putting down the C63, I had one (507 Edition), and I loved it. But it’s Night and Day different. No comparison. You may think there is, but it’s a completely different car. Way better balance, bespoke chassis not shared with an economy luxury car, much better traction, faster. I have never tracked my GTC and would never trade it in for a C63. Plus, the current gen C63 is not the one to get - the last gen with the 6.2L is the future classic. It’s also more reliable, made in Germany, and have far fewer issues (according to the lead AMG tech at my dealership).
The following users liked this post:
Lizard (08-09-2021)
Old 08-09-2021, 09:20 PM

Received 154 Likes on 38 Posts
c63 BS; lc500; F-pace SVR; Jaguar P8, c63 p31
I agree with all of that and your car looks amazing. 20k over sticker?!!!! Wow. As I'm selling privately and will fetch 5-8k more than I would have just 6-12 months ago, I wouldn't mind paying sticker, but I'll wait it out before i pay over sticker lol.
I don't know where $20k over sticker is happening, but 8 miles from my house there are two 2021 c63s sitting at the dealership listing at MSRP. Both are loaded and have been sitting there for at least 3 weeks. I was there getting a part for my BS, and the manager was eager to talk numbers if I was interested.
Old 08-09-2021, 10:35 PM

2017 AMG GTS
yea, i'm seeing them listed at MSRP as well. it must be a regional thing. i know for a fact that my price is in line with what the other listings within 500 miles of me when comparing apples to apples cars.

Originally Posted by Lizard
I don't know where $20k over sticker is happening, but 8 miles from my house there are two 2021 c63s sitting at the dealership listing at MSRP. Both are loaded and have been sitting there for at least 3 weeks. I was there getting a part for my BS, and the manager was eager to talk numbers if I was interested.
Old 08-11-2021, 11:06 AM

Received 203 Likes on 107 Posts
I prob wouldn't sell it. Instead, I would pick up a used C43 or something and use that as a DD.

There will never be another MB car like the GT in terms of non-hybrid RWD V8. Plus there is a shift to mid-engined cars lately, with the Corvette. The only other long nosed cars for sale are the Ferrari Roma and the F-type Jag - both of which are in a different price category.
The following 2 users liked this post by ChargedMB:
SteveKoz (08-11-2021), Surge (08-11-2021)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Anyone go from GTS to C63s?