Sponsored by:

Excessive Heat in Cabin

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-26-2021, 08:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2018 MB AMG GT-C Roadster
Excessive Heat in Cabin

Have a 2018 GT-C and am getting a lot of heat from the engine when no a/c is on w/top down. Is this normal? Also how many bars is normal in the heat indicator gauge?
Old 08-27-2021, 12:06 AM

Received 148 Likes on 115 Posts
2018 Diamond White GT-R
Originally Posted by JDNGTC
Have a 2018 GT-C and am getting a lot of heat from the engine when no a/c is on w/top down. Is this normal? Also how many bars is normal in the heat indicator gauge?
Do you have an owners manual? Is the heat coming from your vents? Are you sure your fan is not on with temp set high? Below is a pic , as you probably already know you should not be in the red zone....The pic shows acceptable(normal) range.

Last edited by 57 GTR; 08-27-2021 at 12:11 AM.
Old 08-29-2021, 09:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 411 Likes on 287 Posts
W463 G550 / C190 GTC //prev: W204 C63 507 / R170
Not normal at all. I bet your HVAC is just on high by mistake. You can toggle the temp switch, especially from a passenger, without knowing it.
Coolant heat gauge should be in the middle; but I don’t think that would heat up the cabin. The engine would fail well before you felt the heat, and you’d see the steam, if it was a coolant issue.
Old 08-29-2021, 06:52 PM

HVAC Off

I turn the HVAC off
altogether when I drive w/top down. I see you saying that 8 bars is normal for the engine heat gauge. That’s what I have as well, but still feel I am getting a lot of heat down near my legs,
especially near the transmission/drivetrain. I had a 2014 Jaguar XKR Supercharged w/510 hp and don’t remember it giving off this much heat.
Old 08-30-2021, 01:26 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,303 Likes on 2,049 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
I am not feeling any high temps in our cabin. Normal and similar to our other/past MB’s.
That said, GT models are running hot on engine//trans. It’s not unusual to see 220 degree engine temps and the transmission temps near that in traffic on a summer day.
Nothing to be concerned on the GTC but in other cars I would be worried if the temp exceeds 180…
Old 08-30-2021, 01:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 411 Likes on 287 Posts
W463 G550 / C190 GTC //prev: W204 C63 507 / R170
I turn the HVAC off
altogether when I drive w/top down. I see you saying that 8 bars is normal for the engine heat gauge. That’s what I have as well, but still feel I am getting a lot of heat down near my legs,
especially near the transmission/drivetrain. I had a 2014 Jaguar XKR Supercharged w/510 hp and don’t remember it giving off this much heat.
I would turn the HVAC on Auto and see if it changes. I always have it on Auto with AC on, and have never felt any heat or even warmth in the footwell or center console.
Old 08-30-2021, 03:21 PM

Received 89 Likes on 65 Posts
Schwinn
I turn the HVAC off
What you are describing is heat by the area where the exhaust downpipes are, the trans is in the rear axle on the car. How long have you had the car? Do you know if someone has installed aftermarket downpipes? It may be heat shields are missing from the tunnel area where you are feeling the heat from.
Old 08-30-2021, 03:39 PM

No Aftermarket Anything

Bought this girl as a CPO w/<4K miles. I appreciate all of the responses here but I guess I just wanted to know if I s/b concerned that I thought it was running hot, w/the heat coming through into the cabin near my right leg when driving.
Old 08-30-2021, 03:43 PM

Received 89 Likes on 65 Posts
Schwinn
Bought this girl as a CPO w/<4K miles. I appreciate all of the responses here but I guess I just wanted to know if I s/b concerned that I thought it was running hot, w/the heat coming through into the cabin near my right leg when driving.
I have had my GTS for almost a year now, and have driven it on very hot days, long trips etc, have never noticed any area inside to be hot to be honest with you.
I would have someone check and make sure the heat shields are in place.
Old 08-30-2021, 03:59 PM

Received 148 Likes on 115 Posts
2018 Diamond White GT-R
Can you feel hot air coming out of the vent near your leg. Can you change the direction of the air so that air blows out of just the upper(dash) vents and then the windshield vents and see if the hot air follows? You may have a diverter that is stuck in the lower position in the heat position?