Sponsored by:

Steering issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-28-2021, 11:43 PM

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts
AMG GT S
Steering issue

Last week i had the rear tires replaced on my 2016 gt s.

When I picked up the car the steering was not responsive, very stiff, but they had the tires at 37/42 so i adjusted it to 32/34 but it is still super stiff, and still at 31/34

If I take my hands off the wheel no drift, so alignment seems fine in that regard.

the service advisor had asked if I wanted an alignment but since it was rears I thought no I don't need it, I guess I did?

I noticed they took the fronts off when they were checking the brakes, as there are chalk marks.

So i will need to take it in Monday for an alignment?
I got the rears and fronts changed before and never had this issue.

I wonder if when they took off the fronts did they swap them by accident lol, is that even possible?
Old 08-29-2021, 09:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 411 Likes on 287 Posts
W463 G550 / C190 GTC //prev: W204 C63 507 / R170
It’s easy to check if the correct tires are on the correct sides, and if your tires are directional, you’ll see an arrow pointing in the direction of rotation on the sidewall.
If your steering is stiff, I would check the power steering fluid ASAP! You may have a leak, which could make it very difficult to steer and pose a safety hazard.
The following users liked this post:
MercAMGgts2016 (08-29-2021)
Old 08-29-2021, 11:05 AM

AMG GT S
Originally Posted by Surge
It’s easy to check if the correct tires are on the correct sides, and if your tires are directional, you’ll see an arrow pointing in the direction of rotation on the sidewall.
If your steering is stiff, I would check the power steering fluid ASAP! You may have a leak, which could make it very difficult to steer and pose a safety hazard.
Thanks for your post, also... I noticed that my invoice indicates I declined a fuel injector flush. My car is 40,000km 2016.

Is this something I should also be getting done as part of maintenance? I don’t think I have had it done since new.
Old 08-29-2021, 11:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Gordon9898
Thanks for your post, also... I noticed that my invoice indicates I declined a fuel injector flush. My car is 40,000km 2016.

Is this something I should also be getting done as part of maintenance? I don’t think I have had it done since new.
I don’t think it’s necessary. You should get a transmission oil flush at around your km and age.
otherwise, just annual oil changes and brake flush every 2 years.
Don’t do the “A” or “B” service - waste of money.
Old 08-29-2021, 12:40 PM

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
AMG GTS, Mercedes 6.9, 190SL
This brings up a couple of issues on my new to me 2017. I think I noticed having a 245 and a 265 front tire. I assume there is no proper reason for that? My car says it's due for an AF service. I plan to take it in just to hopefully find out the service history on the car (I have none). What's an AF service?
Old 08-29-2021, 01:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Eyeman89
This brings up a couple of issues on my new to me 2017. I think I noticed having a 245 and a 265 front tire. I assume there is no proper reason for that? My car says it's due for an AF service. I plan to take it in just to hopefully find out the service history on the car (I have none). What's an AF service?
You mean one front tire is 245 and the other side front is 265?! That’s nuts.

the GTS OEM I think is:
265/35 ZR 19 (F); 295/30 ZR 20 (R)

I have never heard of an AF Service. The display usually says A or B Service is required.
Old 08-29-2021, 07:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 877 Likes on 452 Posts
Bentley Continental GT; AMG GT

Hi Gordon,

I want to address an item you mentioned about injector flush. Before I do, let me mention you're getting wise advice from Surge.

Injector flush is used to solve specific identified engine issues. Those issues are:
  • Engine runs very rough
  • One, multiple or all the cylinders are not firing.
  • The engine does not make power.
  • Engine does not want to start.
  • Bad emissions
  • Bad Fuel Consumption
  • CEL on Misfires
If you have NO issues like these then doing an injector flush is similar to maybe a doctor telling you - You're in perfect health but I want to go in and do some heart surgery (because it really pays well).

Some information about gasolines - If you're using a TOP TIER fuel (and it's almost impossible to not find one today), then fuel injectors are getting a "flush" constantly. I am religious about top tier and particularly like Chevron with techron. Techron came out in the 80s (at least). I used it religiously in my BMW M6 and have never stopped in any car I've owned. I substitute Shell with V-power, but prefer Chevron. I go out of my way to get one of these fuels. If you do this you will not likely ever need an injector flush.

Most people who own these cars are not going around shopping the cheapest gas they can find. I'm guessing you're not like that either. ALWAYS use a top tier fuel - even Costco is now top tier.

On the topic of repair shops (whether an independent or a dealer) - Some shops get aggressive with selling services. They "pitch" services to the "non-suspecting" customer. These services are often the types that are hard to verify, hard to tell whether they really performed the service. To the shop managers/GMs/Owners, no harm, no foul if they charge you a couple hundred dollars to do some service such as an injector flush because they convinced you needed it. And, fact is, they might not even do the service BC there is no way of actually telling unless you stood there and watched them all day. You're falsely happy, they're happy with the revenues.

On shops that do this (a lot of them out there including dealers today), it is a GOOD THING!!! BC, you now have a datapoint. A shop that pitches services that are hard to ID means that they're probably boosting back room revenues this way. Once again, no harm, no foul if you don't mind "tipping" the service dept a couple hundred dollars as these services are probably never actually done, but they don't mind collecting the dollars if they feel confident about convincing you the service was needed. Keep using the service if you're comfortable with them, BUT now you can keep an eye out if they continue to pitch you stuff that brings in $ at your expense and seems to be not too necessary.

I know if they did "injector flush" w/o an identified issue, there will be other "services" coming up.

Last edited by Acta_Non_Verba; 08-29-2021 at 07:47 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Acta_Non_Verba:
MercAMGgts2016 (08-29-2021), Surge (08-29-2021)
Old 08-29-2021, 07:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Excellent advice, @Acta_Non_Verba ! You’re a perfect example of what makes this forum so valuable.
Old 08-29-2021, 08:14 PM

AMG GT S
Excellent advice, @Acta_Non_Verba ! You’re a perfect example of what makes this forum so valuable.
Yes, his posts are always very helpful.
Old 08-29-2021, 08:19 PM

AMG GT S
Originally Posted by Acta_Non_Verba
Hi Gordon,

I want to address an item you mentioned about injector flush. Before I do, let me mention you're getting wise advice from Surge.

Injector flush is used to solve specific identified engine issues. Those issues are:
  • Engine runs very rough
  • One, multiple or all the cylinders are not firing.
  • The engine does not make power.
  • Engine does not want to start.
  • Bad emissions
  • Bad Fuel Consumption
  • CEL on Misfires
If you have NO issues like these then doing an injector flush is similar to maybe a doctor telling you - You're in perfect health but I want to go in and do some heart surgery (because it really pays well).

Some information about gasolines - If you're using a TOP TIER fuel (and it's almost impossible to not find one today), then fuel injectors are getting a "flush" constantly. I am religious about top tier and particularly like Chevron with techron. Techron came out in the 80s (at least). I used it religiously in my BMW M6 and have never stopped in any car I've owned. I substitute Shell with V-power, but prefer Chevron. I go out of my way to get one of these fuels. If you do this you will not likely ever need an injector flush.

Most people who own these cars are not going around shopping the cheapest gas they can find. I'm guessing you're not like that either. ALWAYS use a top tier fuel - even Costco is now top tier.

On the topic of repair shops (whether an independent or a dealer) - Some shops get aggressive with selling services. They "pitch" services to the "non-suspecting" customer. These services are often the types that are hard to verify, hard to tell whether they really performed the service. To the shop managers/GMs/Owners, no harm, no foul if they charge you a couple hundred dollars to do some service such as an injector flush because they convinced you needed it. And, fact is, they might not even do the service BC there is no way of actually telling unless you stood there and watched them all day. You're falsely happy, they're happy with the revenues.

On shops that do this (a lot of them out there including dealers today), it is a GOOD THING!!! BC, you now have a datapoint. A shop that pitches services that are hard to ID means that they're probably boosting back room revenues this way. Once again, no harm, no foul if you don't mind "tipping" the service dept a couple hundred dollars as these services are probably never actually done, but they don't mind collecting the dollars if they feel confident about convincing you the service was needed. Keep using the service if you're comfortable with them, BUT now you can keep an eye out if they continue to pitch you stuff that brings in $ at your expense and seems to be not too necessary.

I know if they did "injector flush" w/o an identified issue, there will be other "services" coming up.
Thank you for this info, as I will be calling MB service in the morning to book an alignment I will not need to also discuss this injector service with the advisor.

He didn’t actually offer it, once home I noticed that it was shown as declined on the invoice.
So a bit of a grey area there, but glad you took the time to educate me on it.

I always use chevron 94 techron.

I’m still a bit unclear as to how often people get their alignment done on these cars.

Should I have known to get it done?

thx
Old 08-30-2021, 01:54 AM

Received 381 Likes on 244 Posts
While I also prefer Chevron (or Shell as a second choice), beware that few people are willing to pay the extra for the 94 grade. As such, I'd be sure to always purchase it from a station where you can verify that a reasonable quantity is sold ... i.e., so you're not getting fuel that's been sitting in their tanks for months. In my case, I only get it from a station that near our local track.
Old 08-30-2021, 09:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 959 Likes on 576 Posts
‘24 BMW iX M60
Thank you for this info, as I will be calling MB service in the morning to book an alignment I will not need to also discuss this injector service with the advisor.

He didn’t actually offer it, once home I noticed that it was shown as declined on the invoice.
So a bit of a grey area there, but glad you took the time to educate me on it.

I’m still a bit unclear as to how often people get their alignment done on these cars.

Should I have known to get it done?

thx
Alignment is accomplished via shims in these cars, so unlike adjustable bolts, I can only believe that the alignment when set, is difficult to throw out of specification. If your dealer says that your steering issue to due to an alignment problem, but the car tracks perfectly fine down the road and does not exhibit uneven tyre wear, I’d be wary that poor alignment is the cause btw.
Surge (08-30-2021)
Old 08-30-2021, 08:09 PM

AMG GT S
***Issue resolved***

Today I drove over to the dealership anticipating the need for a tech to drive the car in order to ascertain if I had a steering problem.

Got there and spoke with my service advisor and he informed me that there was indeed a different feel to the steering on the vehicle due to their performing a steering column adjustment. He say they tightened up the components in the column as a service bulletin type thing.

I should have called him instead of a visit lol

There was nothing on my invoice

Anyways, maybe this will save someone else scratching their head over the very different feel of the steering wheel after they get their car back on a service visit.

Thanks for your posts on this topic
Old 08-30-2021, 08:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

***Issue resolved***

Today I drove over to the dealership anticipating the need for a tech to drive the car in order to ascertain if I had a steering problem.

Got there and spoke with my service advisor and he informed me that there was indeed a different feel to the steering on the vehicle due to their performing a steering column adjustment. He say they tightened up the components in the column as a service bulletin type thing.

Anyways, maybe this will save someone else scratching their head over the very different feel of the steering wheel after they get their car back on a service visit.

Sorry, I don’t understand - are you saying that the service tech told you that the odd steering feel is normal? Because they “adjusted” something in the steering column?
I have never heard of any steering column adjustment being required for the GT. Maybe I missed it, but have never heard anything about this on this forum.
I’m worried they just gave you the runaround… the classic: ‘that steering feel is normal, we performed a service bulletin on the steering column… they are all like that’.

Also, I don’t think you ever answered about the tire sizes and orientation…
Old 08-30-2021, 10:35 PM

AMG GT S
Sorry, I don’t understand - are you saying that the service tech told you that the odd steering feel is normal? Because they “adjusted” something in the steering column?
I have never heard of any steering column adjustment being required for the GT. Maybe I missed it, but have never heard anything about this on this forum.
I’m worried they just gave you the runaround… the classic: ‘that steering feel is normal, we performed a service bulletin on the steering column… they are all like that’.

Also, I don’t think you ever answered about the tire sizes and orientation…
I will follow up with the SA and get an exact description of what was done re the steering, and then post it here.

Tire size and direction mounted is correct.
Old 08-31-2021, 03:54 AM

Received 443 Likes on 237 Posts
AMG GTR
***Issue resolved***

Hi Gordon,

That sounds ridiculous to me. If my service advisor told me this, I would feel ripped off.
What is this supposed to have to do with the
steering column adjustment? (For vehicles with electric servo in the steering column, o.k. possible)

Please let the changes be explained to you in detail. Let him print out the service bulletin for you.I'm curious about that.

Kind Regards

Stenzel
57 GTR (08-31-2021)
Old 08-31-2021, 03:10 PM

Received 89 Likes on 65 Posts
Schwinn
Steering Column Adjustment? Ha ! Sounds like they cleaned up the Cahnooder Valve and it fixed the problem. Sounds to me somebunny forgot to do something while they were under there.