AMG GT Edition 50

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-31-2021, 11:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
amg gt
AMG GT Edition 50

Hi guys,

I’ve been looking to buy a used amg gt for some time now and have come across the edition 50. I’m really drawn to the exclusivity of it but can’t decide whether it’s worth paying a premium for it. In fairness, it’s not very different to a standard 2017 AMG GT but will set me back an extra $70,000~ AUD. Is it worth going the extra mile for the edition 50? Will it retain its value better, or even appreciate? Does $269,000 sound like a fair price for one?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 08-31-2021, 12:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 701 Likes on 534 Posts
R Nine T
No.
The following 2 users liked this post by AMG 17GT:
KenGross (08-31-2021), MalibuScott (08-31-2021)
Old 08-31-2021, 01:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 538 Likes on 337 Posts
2024 AMG G63
Originally Posted by edition50
Hi guys,

I’ve been looking to buy a used amg gt for some time now and have come across the edition 50. I’m really drawn to the exclusivity of it but can’t decide whether it’s worth paying a premium for it. In fairness, it’s not very different to a standard 2017 AMG GT but will set me back an extra $70,000~ AUD. Is it worth going the extra mile for the edition 50? Will it retain its value better, or even appreciate? Does $269,000 sound like a fair price for one?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
+2 NO AND NO
The following users liked this post:
Acta_Non_Verba (08-31-2021)
Old 08-31-2021, 01:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 879 Likes on 453 Posts
Bentley Continental GT; AMG GT
Originally Posted by AMG 17GT
No.
Pretty much says it all. Even with the AUD about 73 cents on the USD...still high, but it is a strange world in which we now live.
Old 08-31-2021, 01:55 PM

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
2024 AMG G63, AMG GTC Edition 50 Coupe
I happen to own a 2018 Edition 50 car. Without getting into exchange rates/values/etc. your statement concerning the Edition 50's are not that much different than a standard 2017 AMG GT is incorrect. The Edition 50 car is the GTC version of a GT. It has the wide body in rear and four wheel steering. Also slightly more HP, upgraded Burmester sound system, Upgraded suspension, interior, Magno paint, etc,, etc. plus unless you guys had a slightly different set up in Australia you are talking about two different model years. Don't get me wrong, I am in no way inferring the Edition 50 is necessarily better than a base GT. In fact the base car is probably a better value. However, they really are not the same car. Good luck with you search and purchase!
daybx (09-21-2021)
Old 08-31-2021, 02:46 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,303 Likes on 2,049 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Pricing is crazy in Australia; same with new cars, so the OP needs to decide how things compare with other cars in the market.

But matteRAT is correct, at least in the US the Edition 50 cars were GTC models, not the base GT. That accounts for a difference in price as the GTC is quite a step up in list price. Of course A$270k for a used GTC sounds crazy but A$200k for a used regular GT even more so...
Old 08-31-2021, 03:05 PM

Received 89 Likes on 65 Posts
Schwinn
Hey OP. You must be the same guy I seen on Reddit. LOL
Exclusivity is in the eye of the beholder. All the guys that have commented none of them except one have the Edition 50. Of course they will say NO. The guy with the E50 is for sure gonna say yes.
Me, I wanted a E1 and wouldnt settle for a regular GTS, didnt care about the price difference as my choices were simple.
I would not purchase any car in this wacky world of used car prices now. Crazy prices is putting it mildly and not just on high end end cars like AMG's etc.
Old 08-31-2021, 03:38 PM

Received 122 Likes on 67 Posts
2021 AMG GT BS 2008 CLK63 BS 2011 AMG SLS
Is it a crazy market or is it transitioning? Seeing how the manual cars have commanded an even larger premium and V8 engine cars are clearly being considered for discontinuation, the marketplace is adjusting to a new normal where V8s and V12s will be exceedingly more sought after. Electric cars are boring once you've accelerated at full throttle. No soul. They don't offer the rev matching or the building crescendos as each gear builds upon the previous one. The cars are as heavy as SUVs and the SUV weights approach CDL levels (the new Hummer weighs 9,995 lbs, 5 shy of needing a CDL license to drive it). They take forever to charge and until you can quick-charge in 5-7 minutes most of us won't consider buying them. Don't get me wrong, when I am old and feeble and not able to drive any longer, it will be nice to have an autonomous mode to see if we get back to the retirement home.

Originally Posted by BBS63
Hey OP. You must be the same guy I seen on Reddit. LOL
Exclusivity is in the eye of the beholder. All the guys that have commented none of them except one have the Edition 50. Of course they will say NO. The guy with the E50 is for sure gonna say yes.
Me, I wanted a E1 and wouldnt settle for a regular GTS, didnt care about the price difference as my choices were simple.
I would not purchase any car in this wacky world of used car prices now. Crazy prices is putting it mildly and not just on high end end cars like AMG's etc.
Hendrik Koster (09-01-2021)
Old 08-31-2021, 06:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 694 Likes on 437 Posts
AMG
Originally Posted by litumup411
Is it a crazy market or is it transitioning? Seeing how the manual cars have commanded an even larger premium and V8 engine cars are clearly being considered for discontinuation, the marketplace is adjusting to a new normal where V8s and V12s will be exceedingly more sought after. Electric cars are boring once you've accelerated at full throttle. No soul. They don't offer the rev matching or the building crescendos as each gear builds upon the previous one. The cars are as heavy as SUVs and the SUV weights approach CDL levels (the new Hummer weighs 9,995 lbs, 5 shy of needing a CDL license to drive it). They take forever to charge and until you can quick-charge in 5-7 minutes most of us won't consider buying them. Don't get me wrong, when I am old and feeble and not able to drive any longer, it will be nice to have an autonomous mode to see if we get back to the retirement home.

Imo it's just the covid market, and much too early for EVs to be pushing prices of these cars up.
Old 08-31-2021, 11:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
amg gt
Originally Posted by Acta_Non_Verba
Pretty much says it all. Even with the AUD about 73 cents on the USD...still high, but it is a strange world in which we now live.
what would you consider to be fair price? $269,00 is the listed price but I’m sure the seller would be open to negotiation. Keep in mind the edition 50 was selling for $350k new in Australia in 2017.
Old 09-01-2021, 07:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 879 Likes on 453 Posts
Bentley Continental GT; AMG GT
what would you consider to be fair price? $269,00 is the listed price but I’m sure the seller would be open to negotiation. Keep in mind the edition 50 was selling for $350k new in Australia in 2017.
That is something I should have added to my post and failed to do so - In reality, the same cars get priced so differently in different countries. Given you are in Australia, this car might be in a reasonable price range, but would be overpriced here. You will know that better than most of us here.

Add to that, the worldwide chip shortage and its impact on the used car/new car market everywhere; throw in the big push to make everything in the world EV moving on an aggressive scale...

...So, I cannot say what would be a good price anymore except to say it would be overpriced here even at the conversion rate.

Best of luck with your pursuit of it whichever direction you take.
Old 09-01-2021, 03:56 PM

Received 89 Likes on 65 Posts
Schwinn
Originally Posted by litumup411

I think its a crazy market caused by the epidemic. I dont think we are at the point that V8's and V12's are in demand, just yet. I know Benz said no AMG V8s for most models at all next year, but stranger things have happened and they might all of a sudden be able to manufacture them by some weird way. That way the 2022 cars will actually be made in 2022 and not in 2021 or sold in 2021 as 2022 models. I dont know but Mercedes has done weird things in the past like say they were not going to make the G wagen and everyone (including me) went nuts and let them know. They also said the AMG 65 engine had no business being in a G Wagen, and then bam it was somehow made to fit. We are living in some weird times now that is for sure and only the future knows. As far as shortages yes there are shortages. dealer I take my cars for service is selling off their loaners, as their inventory is very low. And I have never seen their or other dealers on this street that has about 30+ dealers in 2 miles both new and used lots with so few cars in my life. But, being this is the USA that can and will change soon. As far as electric cars, i am not a fan, i am sure i will eventually have to own/drive one but until that time comes i will enjoy the sound my AMG cars make.
Old 09-01-2021, 04:26 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,303 Likes on 2,049 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
As others have said; crazy times. For the US: Pro-Covid, a 4 year old GTC would be at 50% with low miles (or worse). 20+% on new models weren't difficult. The Edition50 is a cool spec with zero value-add. I remember in the beginning of 2020 we could have gotten a loaded 2018 GMH GTR with less than a 1000 miles for a touch over $120k. Nobody can touch this now...
If the car was A$350k just offer him A$210k. See what he says... Otherwise wait another 6 months or so.
Orcbolg (09-01-2021)
Old 09-02-2021, 02:17 PM

Received 384 Likes on 246 Posts
Originally Posted by BBS63
... As far as electric cars, i am not a fan, i am sure i will eventually have to own/drive one but until that time comes i will enjoy the sound my AMG cars make.
No noise ... no fun!