Migrating to a 2020 AMG GT Roadster.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-07-2021, 07:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2018 C63S
Migrating to a 2020 AMG GT Roadster.

Good evening fellow MB enthusiasts.

Over the past 3 years, I've migrated from a 2018 C63S to a 2020 GLC63, and am looking to flip to a 2020 AMG GT Roadster. Honestly speaking, I've been stuck between the 2020 AMG GT Roadster and a 2020 V8 Vantage. While friends and fellow "car enthusiasts" are telling me the smart choice is the GT, a few of them are saying the base GT is not worth it, and if it's not a GT-R or a GT-C, then I'm better off going with the V8 Vantage. A few things have me slightly leaning towards the GT, one of which is the proximity of the MBenz dealership who I have quite the good rapport with, not to mention 5 or 6 Mercedes purchased over the last 8-10 years. Obviously I'm aware of the fact this is a Mercedes forum, but I'm either hoping you guys tell me the base isn't really that bad, or the better of the two is indeed the Vantage. Both of my prior 63's have been tuned by DME - so I'm not a stranger to implementing tunes for more power.

Interested in your thoughts.

Thanks!
Old 09-07-2021, 08:43 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2021 C63S Cabriolet, 2021 GLE53 Coupe, 2022 GT3 Touring, 2021 Taycan Turbo S, 2022 F-150 Lightning
I have a 2018 GT Roadster and love it. For a rather large car it is small inside, that’s really the only knock. It gets tons of attention because of its looks and it’s a fun drive. I’ve had zero problems.

Best

Jan

Old 09-07-2021, 08:44 PM

Received 676 Likes on 358 Posts
2020 GTA; 2022 Audi e-tron GT, 2022 Ford F-150; 1926 Rolls-Royce Springfield 40/50 Playboy roadster
Originally Posted by JBV8TT
Good evening fellow MB enthusiasts.

Over the past 3 years, I've migrated from a 2018 C63S to a 2020 GLC63, and am looking to flip to a 2020 AMG GT Roadster. Honestly speaking, I've been stuck between the 2020 AMG GT Roadster and a 2020 V8 Vantage. While friends and fellow "car enthusiasts" are telling me the smart choice is the GT, a few of them are saying the base GT is not worth it, and if it's not a GT-R or a GT-C, then I'm better off going with the V8 Vantage. A few things have me slightly leaning towards the GT, one of which is the proximity of the MBenz dealership who I have quite the good rapport with, not to mention 5 or 6 Mercedes purchased over the last 8-10 years. Obviously I'm aware of the fact this is a Mercedes forum, but I'm either hoping you guys tell me the base isn't really that bad, or the better of the two is indeed the Vantage. Both of my prior 63's have been tuned by DME - so I'm not a stranger to implementing tunes for more power.

Interested in your thoughts.

Thanks!
Are you going to track it or drive it on the public streets? If the latter it's got sufficient power. But, having a 2020 myself, you should think about getting a 2018. It's got better ergonomics and a much better exhaust sound. The 2021 has more HP but I suspect there aren't any available.
The following 2 users liked this post by MalibuScott:
JSwan724 (09-07-2021), Orcbolg (09-07-2021)
Old 09-08-2021, 07:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 877 Likes on 452 Posts
Bentley Continental GT; AMG GT
I faced this same decision in October (almost a year ago), shopping a Vantage. AMG GT wasn't really even on my radar. A few things bugged me about the 2020 Vantage, one is aesthetics. I can't quite get past the gaping front grille. Reminds me too much of a Lexus, but that is a personal taste issue. Mechanically, the V8 Vantage is an AMG GTS/GTC. It was that part that caused me to look seriously at a GT. Once I really studied the MB there was no turning back for me. Now the GT is holding my undivided attention. I cannot believe how much I like this car after almost a year.

On the argument your friends are making about the base GT, the same argument can be made about the V8 Vantage. It too is the entry level AM and you'll find, it too will not hold "attention" to the same level as the more expensive models. The difference between the GT and the V8 Vantage in this respect and mechanically is potato, potaato as I see it.

Both the Vantage and R8 are cars still on my bucket list and I will probably try both eventually, but the move I made to the AMG is very much still holding my full attention. I wouldn't pitch you one way or another on the differences among the GT, GTC or GTR except to ask what your use of the car will be. With a GTR you're talking about a more serious track car, and if you never intend to track it, it can be an awfully over equipped car just to drive on the street, but here goes the personal taste thing again. No harm, no foul, except the GT makes a very suitable street car.
Old 09-08-2021, 08:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 700 Likes on 533 Posts
R Nine T
I’m pretty sure Austin borrowed a lot of the electronics from AMG as well, but not all. GT has been rock solid, not so sure about other systems on Austin.

GT has a better tuned exhaust, as Austin added their own harmonics. Make sure GT has sport exhaust button.

My GT has more options than a stock GTS, including the full blown leather interior options upgrading the interior to another level. So I don’t think all GTs are created equal.
Old 09-08-2021, 09:00 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2016 AMG GTS
Coming from an AMG GTS, I don't know if I can steer you in the right direction. However, for me, the Vantage's headlights look way too much like a Miata... which was a huge turn-off for me. That was literally the deal breaker lol. I ended up going with a McLaren 570S.

I'd say hop on Turo and rent both out for a day. That has always helped me with my decisions. There is something about having an entire 24 hours with a car that a test drive cannot match ... plus it's a small investment for a large purchase.
Old 09-08-2021, 12:23 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,247 Likes on 2,021 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
I like the looks of the Vantage and now they also offer a different front grill which can be retrofitted.

The engines have less power (can be tuned) and come with an excellent ZF slush box. Unfortunately the software is not as well mated as with BMW’s.

They will be more expensive to maintain but MB has provided more or less all essential electronics so I think it is much safer to buy than older models.
That said, the GT is the better driving car, has a better balance with its front mid engine and transaxle. The dual clutch is also a better fit for the character of the car.
But as previously stated, not all GT models are created equal. A fully loaded version provides a better comparison to the Vantage.

Wonder how low the prices of these Astons are. They were dirt cheap to lease and AM must have taken a huge hit on these at lease end.
Old 09-08-2021, 01:02 PM

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts
2016 Mercedes AMG GT S
@JBV8TT My two cents!

I own a 2016 AMG GT S, I've test driven and written a review on the 2019 V8 Vantage, and I've also test driven the 2017 AMG GT. Honestly, I loved both the V8 Vantage and the base AMG GT!

Here are biggest differences that I can quickly recount between the V8 Vantage and the base AMG GT:
* The V8 Vantage has a very loud cabin! Lots of engine and road noise. I think the AMG GT is a quieter and can do calm better when you want it.
* The V8 Vantage has a very stiff suspension, even with the shocks are in their comfort mode. The AMG GT ride is stiff too, especially if you have the fixed-rate dampers. (It was rare for base AMG GTs to have adjustable shocks.)
* The V8 Vantage has an 8-speed automatic gearbox vs the DCT in the AMG GT. Honestly, the ZF 8-speed was nice in the Vantage. If you do lots of stop and go traffic, it might be smoother than the AMG DCT. For hard driving, the DCT is rewarding.
* If you are a snob for steering feel, you'll love the AMG GT's hydraulic steering. (The Vantage EPAS is still good in its own right.)
* You know you could get a manual transmission in the Vantage, right?
* Finally, regarding the base AMG GT's power, the GT doesn't feel like a slouch in any way! It's got the power to give the rear tires a run for their money, and that's pretty much all I want in a car like this!

I agree with everyone above who suggests you drive both cars!

Personally, I do like the looks of the new Vantage! (Credit: Aston Martin)

Old 09-09-2021, 10:23 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2016 AMG GTS
Originally Posted by 503hp
@JBV8TT My two cents!

I own a 2016 AMG GT S, I've test driven and written a review on the 2019 V8 Vantage, and I've also test driven the 2017 AMG GT. Honestly, I loved both the V8 Vantage and the base AMG GT!

Here are biggest differences that I can quickly recount between the V8 Vantage and the base AMG GT:
* The V8 Vantage has a very loud cabin! Lots of engine and road noise. I think the AMG GT is a quieter and can do calm better when you want it.
* The V8 Vantage has a very stiff suspension, even with the shocks are in their comfort mode. The AMG GT ride is stiff too, especially if you have the fixed-rate dampers. (It was rare for base AMG GTs to have adjustable shocks.)
* The V8 Vantage has an 8-speed automatic gearbox vs the DCT in the AMG GT. Honestly, the ZF 8-speed was nice in the Vantage. If you do lots of stop and go traffic, it might be smoother than the AMG DCT. For hard driving, the DCT is rewarding.
* If you are a snob for steering feel, you'll love the AMG GT's hydraulic steering. (The Vantage EPAS is still good in its own right.)
* You know you could get a manual transmission in the Vantage, right?
* Finally, regarding the base AMG GT's power, the GT doesn't feel like a slouch in any way! It's got the power to give the rear tires a run for their money, and that's pretty much all I want in a car like this!

I agree with everyone above who suggests you drive both cars!

Personally, I do like the looks of the new Vantage! (Credit: Aston Martin)
Excellent details in there.

I still can't get over the headlights... to each their own, but does no one here think those headlights look weak AF. Granted the rear end is really sexy and the profile isn't that bad. But that front end is something out of a Tim Burton movie with Mazda Miata headlights.

Last edited by Jorge Siverio; 09-09-2021 at 10:32 AM.
Old 09-09-2021, 12:55 PM

Received 108 Likes on 71 Posts
2016 AMG GTS
Originally Posted by Jorge Siverio
Excellent details in there.

I still can't get over the headlights... to each their own, but does no one here think those headlights look weak AF. Granted the rear end is really sexy and the profile isn't that bad. But that front end is something out of a Tim Burton movie with Mazda Miata headlights.
completely agree, Aston's have generally been sexy cars, I still like the old Db9 even if its a bit dated. but the new one is great except for those silly headlamps...