Sponsored by:

New to GTR with a few questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-16-2021, 03:43 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2019 S65 Coupe, 2005 Ford GT, 2013 Viper, 2011 Boxster Spyder, 928 GT
New to GTR with a few questions

Did try search function and read a lot of posts…..don’t see the answers so I’m asking all you silver backs…

1). Anyone else have trouble with the center console storage lid? I push the button but it does not pop up and I have to dig my fingers in and lift it manually. Had B service a few days ago and mentioned it and the tech replied that he has not seen one yet that works properly and no fix was offered. Sounds incorrect to me.
2) Lane keeping…clearly a misnomer. For all the cost of this option all it seems to do is a week vibration of the steering wheel when crossing lanes without the lane change signal. It does NOT attempt to center the car in the lane as other cars do. Is this correct. My tech said the steering rack on the car is not capable of that function.
3) Anyone with experience on KW Coilovers for this car. I bought the car used and the previous owner changed to these. It seems that I have 3 adjustments per strut but the electronic feature of the stock suspension is defeated. I wonder if the GTR Pro uses the same suspension? I know it has adjusters sticking out in the trunk that connect to the top of the shock for rebound adjustment. They must be selling these to someone besides my prior owner?
4) I’m taking the car to HPDE at Sebring 11/14. Can’t wait. I have the Tikt cooling ducts on order but probably won’t get them in time. Looks to me like the car has some attempt at cooling ducts….not sure they are stock. Will get some pics. What is stock on the GTR?

Love the car,
Thanks
Andrew
Old 10-16-2021, 07:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 876 Likes on 452 Posts
Bentley Continental GT; AMG GT
This is a coincidence. I'll respond only to your first item (1).

These are all the same way. You have to dig your fingers into the leather edge to continue opening the door after pushing the button. There is no adjustment and nothing more to do to spring tension to make it better.

It really bugs me too. I have JUST started a personal project to solve this. I'm working on a spare console box I have. If I can do it, I'll start a thread on it so it can be found in a search.

I am literally only about 30 mins into this project, so stay tuned.

I'm already pretty sure what I want to do to solve it, just finding parts that I need and how to do it.

Last edited by Acta_Non_Verba; 10-16-2021 at 08:42 AM.
The following users liked this post:
user33 (10-16-2021)
Old 10-16-2021, 09:46 AM

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
2017 GCV, 2019 JEEP TH-E
1. My center console storage lid works perfectly just pushing the button with 1 finger pops up. 18' GTR.

2. I only have Radar cruise control which shows the distance of the front vehicle, no sure if I have lane keep assist.

Last edited by reignz; 10-16-2021 at 09:50 AM.
Old 10-16-2021, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by reignz
1. My center console storage lid works perfectly just pushing the button with 1 finger pops up. 18' GTR.

2. I only have Radar cruise control which shows the distance of the front vehicle, no sure if I have lane keep assist.
1) it will be interesting to see some more replies. So far 2 to 1 not working.

2). Look in the vehicle menu under assistance
Old 10-16-2021, 10:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by andymlow
1) it will be interesting to see some more replies. So far 2 to 1 not working.
Yes, I'd like to see more replies too as I've not heard from anyone who was satisfied with the way the door opens before this moment. Even the dealer tech who showed me around the car when I first bought it struggled with it and said - "they all do this".

It could be hand size. I'm 6'5" with large hands/fingers to match and I'm like "Fumbolina" when I push the button; then I have to pick at it with fingers probably too big.

I've already ordered some parts expecting them Wednesday, so I could have a quick simple solution by the next WE.
Old 10-16-2021, 03:33 PM

Received 380 Likes on 244 Posts
Originally Posted by Acta_Non_Verba
It could be hand size. I'm 6'5" with large hands/fingers to match ...
My 2020 GTR Pro does not automatically "pop up." I have smallish hands with very arthritic fingers ... so getting it open can be a real pain, literally! I'd definitely be interested in a mod that added spring-open capabilities.
Old 10-16-2021, 03:45 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,240 Likes on 2,018 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Our center cover doesn't pop-up either but I found that it will once I apply some pressure on the side-trim adjacent to the cover. So it looks like on ours that some trim material on the side keeps it down...
Old 10-16-2021, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Wolfman
... but I found that it will once I apply some pressure on the side-trim ...
Wow ... big "howl out" to Wolfman! Just tested this and found that it is indeed the friction of a tight fit around the edges that's keeping the lid from popping up (or a spring that's too weak, depending upon your viewpoint). I found that, by pressing the button without resting my hand/arm on the lid (then raising it), it does pop up, most of the time. When it doesn't, a slight side-to-side wiggle on the pressed button will release it and allow it to pop up. Nice! At some point I may take some very fine sandpaper to the edges of the felt/velour-like material that lines the box, to see whether I can reduce the friction and ensure that it always pops up, but that'll just be fine tuning.

Although I usually reserve this saying for issues with computer software, one could argue that "it's a slight hardware problem ... a nut loose on the button!"
#;-)
Old 10-16-2021, 04:31 PM

WRT "lane keeping" ... yes, it's not the correct term, though it seems to be use interchangeably with "lane tracking" and the more accurate/full term "lane keeping assist."

WIS document sn00.00-p-0019b "Overview of new products/features/modifications for 2019 model year" states (among other things):
---
Active Lane Keeping Assist function
As from model year 2019, the Active Lane Keeping Assist will detect when the vehicle crosses lane markings, and issue a haptic warning to the driver through vibrations of the steering gear.
---

US delivered build sheets that list ​DA7 Lane Tracking Package: Blind Spot Assist, Lane Keeping Assist, also list 2 related options:
476 Lane Keeping Assist
22P Lane Tracking package

These terms are an accurate description of the functionality, whereas "Lane Keeping" is not ... it's only assistance, not intervention. I expect that the lane-keeping intervention requires electric steering and does not operate with hydraulic steering.

Personally, having used the "real" lane-keeping feature in our C43 and (now replaced) C63 S, I would always keep that function disabled as I found it to be very annoying because I constantly felt it putting a small amount of drag on the steering wheel. In addition, in the few tests I did on a curvy road with good lane-marking lines, if you let the car "do its thing" you'd have an "out of lane" experience within about 2 minutes. I also had it erroneously brake-vector me back into a lane under 2 circumstances (once involving a "painted on boulevard/turn-lane" area and once when moving over, with no on-coming traffic, to allow extra room when passing cyclists on the shoulder), so I never felt safe with it on. And don't get me started on how the lane-change warning system beeps (on all 3 of these cars) whenever doing a multi-lane turn with side-by-side traffic! <end of rant>

Last edited by user33; 10-16-2021 at 04:34 PM.
daybx (10-21-2021)
Old 10-16-2021, 05:01 PM

Received 676 Likes on 358 Posts
2020 GTA; 2022 Audi e-tron GT, 2022 Ford F-150; 1926 Rolls-Royce Springfield 40/50 Playboy roadster
I have lane keeping assist -- or whatever it's called -- on my etron, and when on it would fight me when I wanted to change lanes or move slightly within my lane. It is a hazard and I keep it off.
daybx (10-21-2021)
Old 10-16-2021, 05:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 959 Likes on 576 Posts
‘24 BMW iX M60
Originally Posted by MalibuScott
I have lane keeping assist -- or whatever it's called -- on my etron, and when on it would fight me when I wanted to change lanes or move slightly within my lane. It is a hazard and I keep it off.

Scott,

I also have an etron and find the LKA to be quite useful at times, such as when going to/from work.

It functions far better in the ‘Early’ implementation versus the ‘Late’ which can be far too abrupt.

Bish
Old 10-16-2021, 06:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,821 Likes on 2,554 Posts
2019 C63CS
Regarding LKA. The GT may have a limited version of it, but MB/AMG split the pure lane keeping and active steering into two systems. I have both in my '19 C63S. The LKA part only intervenes if you are about to drift over a lane marking. It first vibrates the steering wheel and if necessary takes corrective actions via the brakes. It applies the inner brakes to pull the car back into its lane. It's somewhat violent, but it serves as a wake up call. The Active Steering Assist on the other hand actively steers the car and keeps it centered in the lane. It's tied to DISTRONIC and only active if DISTRONIC is active. It steers the car autonomously for up to 30 seconds on a divided highway. In very slow moving traffic it steers it for several minutes without driver intervention. It can also change lanes automatically. Just have to turn on the corresponding indicator and if the adjacent lane is free the car accelerates and changes lanes by itself. I'm guessing with the hydraulic steering rack these systems are limited. I find them to work quite well in my car. I have LKA turned on pretty much all the time, and I find it only intervenes if I carelessly drift out of my lane, exactly what it's designed to do. I can leave it on in the canyons and cross over the center line and it never intervenes. It seems to take the current driving style into account and doesn't intervene if you assertively cross over a lane marker when driving spirited.
Old 10-16-2021, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by MalibuScott
i have it in my Ram 1500 and I find it useful on the highway esp when towing but annoying around town. I find it will not fight if you signal first.
Old 10-16-2021, 07:30 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,240 Likes on 2,018 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
The GT models have the limited and not the active lane keeping assist. Vibration only, no intervention. Same with Distronic Plus. Only adaptive distance without steering assist.
It’s the bare bone low end version normally reserved for 2014 or so MB SUV’s.
At first I was disappointed with such a low end system; just like the lack of CarPlay, surround camera, laughable ambient lighting and manual trunk but in the end this is a low volume production car. Volume trumps price…

And in a way I prefer a more slimmed down sports car without the usual eye candy treatment.
Of all MB’s we have had so far, this is also the most fun to drive.
Old 10-16-2021, 11:41 PM

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
2018 AMG GTS, Ferrari 348TS, 308GTS
2018 GTS
Same with my console lid, poorly designed, I have to push the release button and sort of pull up the lid or it just sits there.

My lane keeping setup just vibrates the steering wheel (from memory), but it doesn't move the wheel. But using the turn signal when I change lanes seems to defeat the vibes.
Old 10-17-2021, 12:13 AM

Received 124 Likes on 70 Posts
2015 Mercedes S550 Coupe
19 GTR and i have the same issue with the center console.. doesnt bother me that much though

Old 10-17-2021, 09:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 381 Likes on 237 Posts
2010 Irridium Silver MB C63 AMG Sedan
Same issue with stuck leather console lid. Oh well I guess…
Old 10-17-2021, 11:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I've had a chance to explore the design of the console glove box using my bench test unit. Given the dimensions of the door and the hinge design, the issue of the door not rising when the button is pushed turns out to be a simple matter of Physics 101 (for those who remember).

Looking at the hinge assembly in pieces, the springs are adequate to move the "weight" and length of the door once motion commences. However, the torque the spring is capable of delivering at the moment the button is pushed is not adequate to overcome the moment of inertia. This is exacerbated BC the door rests in the horizontal position, 90* to the vertical. So, once motion begins, the spring torque is plenty to continue lifting the door even though spring torque is reducing, but helped BC so is the angle of the door lid which gets progressively lighter as it pivots through the 90* movement to vertical.

This is the simple explanation. I am about 90% sure I have a fix, and an easy one to make. Just need to receive parts. If it works, I'll know by the end of this week and will publish it.

BTW - some comments above about the door possibly being hindered by side panels, or material in the box sticking, it doesn't matter whether the trim sides are there or not, the door acts in the same way. This is only a still pic, but I tested that out on the bench unit. Simply pressing the button then expecting the springs to begin lifting the door does not make any difference. The door continues to stand still unless you "assist" the initial lift. Once motion begins, the springs are quite sufficient.

A still pic doesn't convey much but with the button fully depressed, there is no movement in the door until I begin to assist the lift, then once past the moment of first rotation the door takes off on its own.

More to come.

The following 3 users liked this post by Acta_Non_Verba:
ChargedMB (10-17-2021), daybx (10-21-2021), thebishman (10-17-2021)
Old 10-17-2021, 01:26 PM

Received 443 Likes on 237 Posts
AMG GTR
Hi,

In the delivery condition, I also had the problem with the flap.
Certainly not a drama, but it bothers me when something doesn't work as intended.

Since I had expanded everything anyway, I did the following during assembly:
The front metal cover (the large part with the buttons) is only plugged in at the front (in the direction of travel).
On the back, the part is only fixed with 2 screws. These two screws are located under the cover directly behind it.
This cover can easily be levered out from below via the rear opening.
Loosen both screws and push the metal cover forward a little. Tighten the screws again.

Since then, the flap has opened perfectly, at least on my vehicle.

Don't always have to help, it's worth a try.

@ Acta-non-verba

First of all, thank you for your commitment.
Quickly organized and dismantled a console. Respect.

Normally the flap should pop open on its own. Especially in the expanded condition.

Just an idea:
Pushing from behind. Like when you sit next to the console.
Through the sequence of movements, you automatically apply a little pull upwards.
Acting from the front, you act against it.

Kind Regards

Stenzel

Runs 10s (07-29-2022)
Old 10-18-2021, 08:10 AM

I wonder if lubricating the spring would reduce stiction in the wound position and result in enough improvement?
Old 10-18-2021, 11:06 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
S63, G550, S580, AMG GT Roadster
My center console lid is a big fail also. Big headache when trying to retrieve something while driving.
Old 10-18-2021, 05:42 PM

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
2017 GCV, 2019 JEEP TH-E
Since I'm the only one claiming it works normally I thought I'd take a quick video.

The following 2 users liked this post by reignz:
LAsunset (10-24-2021), Orcbolg (10-24-2021)
Old 10-18-2021, 07:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I was able to get a fix for the console door done earlier than I thought.

Find it here:

https://mbworld.org/forums/coupe-roa...ml#post8438978

Old 10-18-2021, 07:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
S63, G550, S580, AMG GT Roadster
Since I'm the only one claiming it works normally I thought I'd take a quick video.

https://youtu.be/IDFbOaqb6Zc
Too funny! We believe you!
Old 10-24-2021, 02:14 PM

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts
Fast and Really Fast Sports Cars

https://youtu.be/IDFbOaqb6Zc
Mine works exactly like that.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New to GTR with a few questions