Coupe/Roadster
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Protective film / wrap for Designo Graphite Grey Magno???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-13-2021, 11:57 AM

Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts
AMG GT C Edition 50
Question Protective film / wrap for Designo Graphite Grey Magno???

Has anyone had a film or wrap applied to an Edition 50 or any Designo Graphite Grey Magno (matte) paint? I'm the new owner of an Edition 50 and I intend to drive it like it was stolen (but with respect) and want to avoid rock chips and parking lot door marks. I've wrapped everything I own (yes, even my motorcycles) with clear protective film in years past, but I don't want to in any way mess with the beauty that is this very unique paint job. I'd love first hand experience from owners of the Magno paint.

Thanks so much in advance!
Old 11-13-2021, 12:40 PM

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
‘22 G63 ‘23 G63 4x4
I’m getting a, new to me, Graphite Grey Magno GT63s sedan wrapped in XPEL stealth next month. I’ll take some before and after pics.
Old 11-13-2021, 03:07 PM

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
2018 GTC Edition 50
I have an edition 50 in the same color wrapped with XPEL Stealth. I originally was going to get just the A pillar forward wrapped but I was worried about it not matching the rest of the car. I ended up getting the entire car wrapped minus the rear bumper.

It is very, very hard to tell the difference on the wrapped vs unwrapped area. If you catch the light just right you can see sheen is a bit different but otherwise you can’t tell. The color is unchanged by the wrap. In my research prior to getting the wrap, XPEL stealth was the most invisible on this MB mango paint.
Old 11-13-2021, 08:48 PM

AMG GT C Edition 50
Originally Posted by cryhavok
I have an edition 50 in the same color wrapped with XPEL Stealth. I originally was going to get just the A pillar forward wrapped but I was worried about it not matching the rest of the car. I ended up getting the entire car wrapped minus the rear bumper.

It is very, very hard to tell the difference on the wrapped vs unwrapped area. If you catch the light just right you can see sheen is a bit different but otherwise you can’t tell. The color is unchanged by the wrap. In my research prior to getting the wrap, XPEL stealth was the most invisible on this MB mango paint.
Thanks. One of the primary reasons I got the Edition 50 was for that paint! I hate the idea of covering it up but I also don't want it all chipped up. I'm leaning toward getting the XPEL Stealth just for the front bumper and pray for the rest of the car. Or maybe a matte clear for the front. Tough call for me. I've clear wrapped almost everything else I've owned (including my motorcycles) so it's just normal for me to do so. Hmm . . .
Old 11-13-2021, 09:15 PM

Received 190 Likes on 146 Posts
/////PRO
Great idea to protect it, all paints, even more so matte finishes.

Suntek PPF-Matte
Xpel Stealth
Stek DynoMatt

All good in their own regards and will do a fine job, just go with whichever one your installer uses/prefers, as the installers familiarity and expertise with the film they are most comfortable with will make for the best outcome.
Old 11-14-2021, 10:01 AM

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
2018 GTC Edition 50
I took some pics to show the wrapped and unwrapped areas.

The following users liked this post:
AndrewFerg (11-15-2021)
Old 11-14-2021, 10:05 AM

Received 379 Likes on 159 Posts
☐ Rekt ☑ Not Rekt
With the naked eye, can you tell the difference when you're looking at panels side to side with one wrapped and one not wrapped?
Old 11-15-2021, 10:34 AM

AMG GT C Edition 50
Originally Posted by soulsea
With the naked eye, can you tell the difference when you're looking at panels side to side with one wrapped and one not wrapped?
Nope! That will work I think! My installer wants to do the entire car to match but I don't think the need is there. Thanks for the photos!
Old 11-15-2021, 03:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 966 Likes on 581 Posts
‘24 BMW iX M60
Originally Posted by AndrewFerg
Nope! That will work I think! My installer wants to do the entire car to match but I don't think the need is there. Thanks for the photos!
I agree that with Xpel Stealth over the OEM matte paint the colours are extremely close. But there’s a really big reason to get the whole car protected and that is what are the expectations of a body shop colour matching the paint if you get damage from say running the car on a road course, or if you live in an area with tons of debris on the roads. I thought that too high a risk so covered my whole GTR. Slept better for doing it.
Old 11-15-2021, 03:27 PM

AMG GT C Edition 50
Originally Posted by thebishman
I agree that with Xpel Stealth over the OEM matte paint the colours are extremely close. But there’s a really big reason to get the whole car protected and that is what are the expectations of a body shop colour matching the paint if you get damage from say running the car on a road course, or if you live in an area with tons of debris on the roads. I thought that too high a risk so covered my whole GTR. Slept better for doing it.
I've spent a LOT on paint protection wraps and don't seem to get my money back from them. Hard to tell. It's about $7k to get the whole car done which is a lot more than I want to spend. Not cheap even relative to the price I paid for the car. I'll ponder some more . . .
Old 11-15-2021, 05:24 PM

Received 444 Likes on 238 Posts
AMG GTR
I've spent a LOT on paint protection wraps and don't seem to get my money back from them. Hard to tell. It's about $7k to get the whole car done which is a lot more than I want to spend. Not cheap even relative to the price I paid for the car. I'll ponder some more . . .
Hi,

Everyone can do it as they like. Basically, paint and windshields have always been wearing parts for me.
The first stone chip / scratch hurts. Certainly the second too. At some point you use the vehicle, a lot more relaxed.
And then gladly also as intended. It is and remains, even if the GT is really awesome, just a car.

Well, a fast and nice car. :-)

Best regards

Stenzel
The following 3 users liked this post by Stenzel-Germany:
AndrewFerg (08-17-2023), Hetzle (12-09-2021), user33 (11-17-2021)
Old 11-16-2021, 11:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘24 BMW iX M60
I knew when I bought my GHM GTR that I would track it a bunch, and that is very stressful to paint, CF parts, etc. so I had the whole car covered in Stealth and Ultimate. When I sold the car the PPF had a few dings and abrasions but the underlying matte paint was perfect. I’m convinced that it helped with resale as well as my peace of mind during the 3 years I owned the car. YMMV of course.
Old 12-09-2021, 11:16 AM

AMG GT C Edition 50
Update, I have had Xpel Stealth wrap put on the car but in my eyes, and the eyes of the wrap technicians, there is a noticeable color change. It lightens it noticeably and definitely adds some sheen - at least in bright light. I'm going to try to live with just the front bumper wrapped and see if the color difference bothers me. If it does, I then I will have to decide what I hate more, the wrap look or the rock chips . . . I'll post a photo soon.
Old 12-10-2021, 02:13 AM

AMG GT C Edition 50
Update, I have had Xpel Stealth wrap put on the car but in my eyes, and the eyes of the wrap technicians, there is a noticeable color change. It lightens it noticeably and definitely adds some sheen - at least in bright light. I'm going to try to live with just the front bumper wrapped and see if the color difference bothers me. If it does, I then I will have to decide what I hate more, the wrap look or the rock chips . . . I'll post a photo soon.

I'm not sure the photo clearly shows the color difference. But it's noticeable. I'm disappointed.
Old 12-10-2021, 02:17 AM

AMG GT C Edition 50

I'm not sure the photo clearly shows the color difference. But it's noticeable. I'm disappointed.

Old 12-10-2021, 06:13 AM

Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts
AMG GTS EDITON1
Hello.
The difference is between the front wing which doesn't have the pill ?
By picture, I don't see a particular difference but by eyes, perhaps the result is completly viewable ... :/
How much does it cost you ? and for which parts ?
Old 12-10-2021, 10:09 AM

AMG GT C Edition 50
Originally Posted by Gribouilly
Hello.
The difference is between the front wing which doesn't have the pill ?
By picture, I don't see a particular difference but by eyes, perhaps the result is completly viewable ... :/
How much does it cost you ? and for which parts ?
The photos don't really show it. Because it is obvious, I only did the front. That was $600. It would be over $5k for the whole car. If I wanted a wrapped car, I probably wouldn't have bought an Edition 50. I love the color and don't want to cover it up even to protect it. Oh well. I'm a driver, not a collector. It's a car, not a princess. Haha.
Stenzel-Germany (12-10-2021)
Old 12-10-2021, 11:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘24 BMW iX M60
The photos don't really show it. Because it is obvious, I only did the front. That was $600. It would be over $5k for the whole car. If I wanted a wrapped car, I probably wouldn't have bought an Edition 50. I love the color and don't want to cover it up even to protect it. Oh well. I'm a driver, not a collector. It's a car, not a princess. Haha.
Have your installer try a small piece of Suntek matte film on the car and see what you think. I had the whole car covered with Xpel Stealth as another concern I had was a colour mismatch in case of rock damage, etc. and needing to get a panel resprayed.
Old 12-12-2021, 12:42 AM

Received 124 Likes on 70 Posts
2015 Mercedes S550 Coupe
Get the whole car wrapped so it all looks the same. You will regret rock chips since touch up paint cant solve your issue with that paint..

i had an s class coupe with matt gray and a small scratch would bother the hell out of me
Old 12-12-2021, 01:04 AM

AMG GT C Edition 50
Originally Posted by Y.Haider
Get the whole car wrapped so it all looks the same. You will regret rock chips since touch up paint cant solve your issue with that paint..

i had an s class coupe with matt gray and a small scratch would bother the hell out of me
I know you're right, I just don't want you to be . . .
Old 12-12-2021, 08:46 PM

/////PRO
Another vote for Wrap the whole thing, Suntek PPF-Matte used locally a bunch on matte cars doesn’t alter look any I can see.
im a big believer if a garage/trailer/show car ONLY, no PPF needed, if driving and putting miles on, or tracking, big believer in PPF….only exception would be building a track only car that never sees road, has a cage, gutted out, etc…because who cares then.
Old 12-14-2021, 01:25 PM

Received 59 Likes on 34 Posts
2020 GTR
Does the wrap make it easier for washing etc? I have the Blue Magno and more than chips I am worried about screwing up the paint via washing. I realize you wouldn't wax it etc but where I live up in the little mountain range on the San Francisco Bay peninsula there is constant pollen, storms, fog etc coming through and it just gets dirty up here even in the garage. In the middle of Silicon Valley but my home is in an area that is more like where I grew up in the country in Georgia than fancy city.
Old 12-14-2021, 01:36 PM

/////PRO
Originally Posted by TriggrPullrUSMC
Does the wrap make it easier for washing etc? I have the Blue Magno and more than chips I am worried about screwing up the paint via washing. I realize you wouldn't wax it etc but where I live up in the little mountain range on the San Francisco Bay peninsula there is constant pollen, storms, fog etc coming through and it just gets dirty up here even in the garage. In the middle of Silicon Valley but my home is in an area that is more like where I grew up in the country in Georgia than fancy city.
you won’t be “rubbing” on the paint if PPF is on top, to make washing easier you’d want to put the PPF on the car, then ceramic coat over the top of it with a product like GTechniq HALO.

If you want to skip PPF and just make washing and drying MUCH easier, then just have car properly prep washed and apply a good ceramic coating.
GTechniq CSL
Kamikaze ISM 1.0
TriggrPullrUSMC (02-10-2022)
Old 12-14-2021, 03:03 PM

Received 59 Likes on 34 Posts
2020 GTR
Originally Posted by dlefty
you won’t be “rubbing” on the paint if PPF is on top, to make washing easier you’d want to put the PPF on the car, then ceramic coat over the top of it with a product like GTechniq HALO.

If you want to skip PPF and just make washing and drying MUCH easier, then just have car properly prep washed and apply a good ceramic coating.
GTechniq CSL
Kamikaze ISM 1.0

Perfect thanks for the info I appreciate you taking the time!
John
Old 12-14-2021, 04:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘24 BMW iX M60
Originally Posted by TriggrPullrUSMC
Having the matte paint covered in a matte PPF makes the car so easy to keep clean. No waxing necessary as you mentioned, just wash the car with a matte formula car wash like that sold by the Chemical Guys. Plus they also sell a specific detail spray for matte finishes that you can hit the car with when it doesn’t need a serious wash.

The following 3 users liked this post by thebishman:
mikeducati (12-16-2021), soulsea (12-14-2021), TriggrPullrUSMC (02-10-2022)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Protective film / wrap for Designo Graphite Grey Magno???