Questions For AMG GT Owners

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-12-2022, 02:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2018 Audi S4
Questions For AMG GT Owners

Hey Everyone,
Been lurking for a while and thinking about making the switch from my 2018 Audi S4 to a 2016 AMG GTS. I'm a single guy making good money and ready for my first big boy car. Switching into a 2-door sports car isn't the most practical thing to do, and I'm aware of that, but I am obsessed with this car and feel it's finally time to treat myself. I had a few questions for people who own the GT and would love any insight/thoughts in general before I pull the trigger. Thank you in advance!

- I test drove a 2017 GT and loved the drive, but it did make me think about potentially not loving the drive when I'm sitting in LA traffic. Do you use your GT as a daily driver for short commutes, or does it feel inconvenient in any way?

- Going from a fully loaded 2018 S4 to the 2016 GTS means I will have to compromise on tech since the infotainment in the GT is super outdated. Any tips to upgrade this, or any major things missing that aren't worth the compromise?

- I regret not buying one last year when I see the current prices going up, but I can also sell my S4 for a profit so that's not the biggest worry. I'm concerned about maintenance beyond 35k miles since that's most likely the avg mileage a used 2016 would have. Any thoughts on an extended 3rd party warranty, or major issues you've experienced?

- I think a 2016 GTS will continue to appreciate/hold value if maintained well with low miles, however a 2017 GT is slightly lower in price and still a great car. Is getting a newer year/less mileage GT the smarter option when compared to a 2016 GTS from a long term value perspective?

Lot's of questions. I'm sorry. Please help.
Old 01-12-2022, 02:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 131 Posts
Too many german broads
Love the exterior of the GT, but the interior is a major letdown. C class level infotainment is a real bummer...
The following users liked this post:
Highline-Autos.com (01-12-2022)
Old 01-12-2022, 03:05 PM

Received 676 Likes on 358 Posts
2020 GTA; 2022 Audi e-tron GT, 2022 Ford F-150; 1926 Rolls-Royce Springfield 40/50 Playboy roadster
The GT is very comfortable. LA traffic, which I also experience, isn't more difficult in the GT. If the car were a stick it would be.

I have two cars now so the GT is half of a daily driver. But between it and my etron the GT is much more fun to drive.

If you buy one, make sure you don't get the 2020 or newer model year. The virtual instruments and controls suck. I had a 2018 coupe and now have a 2020 roadster. I long for the 2018's simple controls.
Old 01-12-2022, 03:43 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
BMW M4
I just picked up a 16' GTS and live in Orange County. This is my only car from the time being (came from range rover, m4, 991.1, tesla m3). Albeit, I work from home and do not drive in heavy traffic anymore, it is comfortable enough to run errands and get around town. I like how I have plenty of space in the trunk (compared to 911). The exterior... well you know...the interior is like a **** pit and brings joy every time starting her up. The infotainment, true, a little outdated, I never used all the carplay, nav, hud often but was nice having it.

You really get immersed with everything else (feel, handling, sound). I will say the stock suspension is high sprung (stiff) and has some pretty bad wheel gap. I have renntech HAS shipping soon which is supposed to ride how it was intended based on the reviews. If I drive more or work changes, I will definitely pickup a daily, more so to keep the miles off and not beat it up if a commute is needed so when I do choose it, feels all that more special to take her out.

For the used prices (even in this market), its hard to find a value for the total package/feel/looks this timeless piece (imo) provides. Good luck in your search.
Old 01-12-2022, 04:33 PM

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
2021 GT BS, 2019 G63 ED1, 2016 GTS
Originally Posted by LeaveTheSpace
Hey Everyone,
Been lurking for a while and thinking about making the switch from my 2018 Audi S4 to a 2016 AMG GTS. I'm a single guy making good money and ready for my first big boy car. Switching into a 2-door sports car isn't the most practical thing to do, and I'm aware of that, but I am obsessed with this car and feel it's finally time to treat myself. I had a few questions for people who own the GT and would love any insight/thoughts in general before I pull the trigger. Thank you in advance!

- I test drove a 2017 GT and loved the drive, but it did make me think about potentially not loving the drive when I'm sitting in LA traffic. Do you use your GT as a daily driver for short commutes, or does it feel inconvenient in any way?

- Going from a fully loaded 2018 S4 to the 2016 GTS means I will have to compromise on tech since the infotainment in the GT is super outdated. Any tips to upgrade this, or any major things missing that aren't worth the compromise?

- I regret not buying one last year when I see the current prices going up, but I can also sell my S4 for a profit so that's not the biggest worry. I'm concerned about maintenance beyond 35k miles since that's most likely the avg mileage a used 2016 would have. Any thoughts on an extended 3rd party warranty, or major issues you've experienced?

- I think a 2016 GTS will continue to appreciate/hold value if maintained well with low miles, however a 2017 GT is slightly lower in price and still a great car. Is getting a newer year/less mileage GT the smarter option when compared to a 2016 GTS from a long term value perspective?

Lot's of questions. I'm sorry. Please help.
I own a 2016 GTS which I sent to Newport from Texas a few months back since I am in Cali part of the year. Was not sure it was the right car to have in Cali given the size but I love driving this thing (also have a '21 Black Series elswhere) still to this day. They are stiff as hell and can get loose pretty easily however after putting the 12K miles on it I am very accustomed to the handling which comes in handy chasing down other cars around town. Also gets a LOT of looks no matter what it is sitting next to which again speaks to the cleaner lines on that model versus the others. The electronics do not both me a bit since I normally run Waze and other music apps to begin with.
The following 2 users liked this post by fuel007one:
daybx (01-14-2022), ZakAttack20 (01-12-2022)
Old 01-13-2022, 07:44 AM

Received 216 Likes on 135 Posts
E55, 380SL, GLA 250 Sport, AMG GTS

Mine is a garage queen.
Old 01-13-2022, 10:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 877 Likes on 452 Posts
Bentley Continental GT; AMG GT
Hey Everyone,

So, a couple of responses.
On the ride, the GT platform is a rather dedicated track car platform in all its variations. It is difficult to "split the apple" and end up with a comfortable riding track car. In my personal experience, I was taken aback on my first ride, but after a year and a half, I've become completely used to the ride and, in fact, even on longer drives (2 hours and more). The seats and suspension start off feeling like you're not going to last too long, but it turned out to be the opposite for me...but took a little time to get there. Now I prefer the ride and get disappointed when I have to take my wife's F-Pace out for anything. Often, when talking to laypeople, non-car types, I tell them one ride in my AMG and it will completely ruin any perception they might have had about "Mercedes luxury".

I don't track my car which some would look at as a waste in probably the same way some would look at buying an Aventador to use for grocery shopping or Home Depot Errands.

On values (prices) "holding up" much like houses and everything else, we're all riding a wave right now. Most every car is holding value. If you're buying you'll pay more than a year ago, but you're also probably selling too...it balances out. Only time it catches you if you are only buying and not selling. Also, I've reached a point where I no longer consider resale when I'm shopping a car about which I am passionate. It can ruin the experience if you decide not to pursue something you want BC it might not command some amount of money at some point in the unknown future.

Just my

Last edited by Acta_Non_Verba; 01-13-2022 at 10:53 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Acta_Non_Verba:
AMG GT C (01-13-2022), caldwellm (03-20-2022), daybx (01-14-2022), Stenzel-Germany (01-13-2022)
Old 01-13-2022, 10:49 AM

Received 124 Likes on 70 Posts
2015 Mercedes S550 Coupe
Im sure a GTS would be alot more butt friendly than my GTR… couldnt imagine driving it on a daily basis

driven on events and sometimes on the weekend in summer
Old 01-13-2022, 11:58 AM

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
AMG GTS, Mercedes 6.9, 190SL
I bought my relatively higher mileage (41k miles) GTS last summer. I analyzed all the options and mainly bought the best deal that had the features I wanted. For me, GT vs GTS, the year, etc really didn't matter. I actually sort of would have preferred to find a GT instead of a GTS. I was more concerned with condition than miles. I don't plan to ever sale, but I assume resale will go that way.

I plan to daily drive my GT when it's not raining and I have a good idea that I can park in a relatively safe (mostly concerned about door dings) place. The seat is not great to me and I hate the huge side mirrors vs tiny side windows (bad blind spot for me). The funniest thing to me with the seat is it would seem to me that a large number of people would not fit in a GT.

I'm very happy with my choice and I bet you will be also.
Old 01-13-2022, 02:13 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
2017 AMG GTS
I was pretty disappointed in the infotainment as well, but other than that I love my GTS. I installed one of those enlarged android screens to get the Apple carplay, maps, etc and that has solved that issue for me.

I don't daily mine though. Garage queen as well.

https://www.dmpcardes********/androi...amg-gt-android

Old 01-13-2022, 02:39 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,246 Likes on 2,021 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by Cheme1985
I was pretty disappointed in the infotainment as well, but other than that I love my GTS. I installed one of those enlarged android screens to get the Apple carplay, maps, etc and that has solved that issue for me.

I don't daily mine though. Garage queen as well.

https://www.dmpcardes********/androi...amg-gt-android
Are you having issue with the rear camera when reversing? I didn't get that one as another member, Skilly, described a less than straight forward process. We installed a wireless CarPlay module which covers the basics...
Old 01-13-2022, 03:54 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
2017 AMG GTS
Had issues at first but I emailed the vendor and they got me squared away by showing me how to change some internal settings. Works fine now. Automatically like stock.
Old 01-13-2022, 04:01 PM

2018 Audi S4
Yeah the infotainment is a real downer, but I've seen some owners do some cool mods as a solve. And I was also looking at a new C63 to have the latest tech, but I can't get over how timeless the GT looks, and how unique it is when compared to the abundance of C63's on the road here in LA/OC.
Old 01-13-2022, 04:05 PM

2018 Audi S4
Originally Posted by Acta_Non_Verba
So, a couple of responses.
On the ride, the GT platform is a rather dedicated track car platform in all its variations. It is difficult to "split the apple" and end up with a comfortable riding track car. In my personal experience, I was taken aback on my first ride, but after a year and a half, I've become completely used to the ride and, in fact, even on longer drives (2 hours and more). The seats and suspension start off feeling like you're not going to last too long, but it turned out to be the opposite for me...but took a little time to get there. Now I prefer the ride and get disappointed when I have to take my wife's F-Pace out for anything. Often, when talking to laypeople, non-car types, I tell them one ride in my AMG and it will completely ruin any perception they might have had about "Mercedes luxury".

I don't track my car which some would look at as a waste in probably the same way some would look at buying an Aventador to use for grocery shopping or Home Depot Errands.

On values (prices) "holding up" much like houses and everything else, we're all riding a wave right now. Most every car is holding value. If you're buying you'll pay more than a year ago, but you're also probably selling too...it balances out. Only time it catches you if you are only buying and not selling. Also, I've reached a point where I no longer consider resale when I'm shopping a car about which I am passionate. It can ruin the experience if you decide not to pursue something you want BC it might not command some amount of money at some point in the unknown future.

Just my
Terrific advice here, thank you for this. Completely agree about values - I'm finally splurging on something I'm passionate about so I don't want to hold myself back and only look at the investment angle. I'm sure the smile on my face while cruising in the GT will make up for everything else.
caldwellm (03-20-2022)
Old 01-13-2022, 04:08 PM

2018 Audi S4
Originally Posted by ZakAttack20
I just picked up a 16' GTS and live in Orange County. This is my only car from the time being (came from range rover, m4, 991.1, tesla m3). Albeit, I work from home and do not drive in heavy traffic anymore, it is comfortable enough to run errands and get around town. I like how I have plenty of space in the trunk (compared to 911). The exterior... well you know...the interior is like a **** pit and brings joy every time starting her up. The infotainment, true, a little outdated, I never used all the carplay, nav, hud often but was nice having it.

You really get immersed with everything else (feel, handling, sound). I will say the stock suspension is high sprung (stiff) and has some pretty bad wheel gap. I have renntech HAS shipping soon which is supposed to ride how it was intended based on the reviews. If I drive more or work changes, I will definitely pickup a daily, more so to keep the miles off and not beat it up if a commute is needed so when I do choose it, feels all that more special to take her out.

For the used prices (even in this market), its hard to find a value for the total package/feel/looks this timeless piece (imo) provides. Good luck in your search.
Nice, congratulations on the pick up! I'm also in Orange County at the moment and will be going back and forth, but I don't drive often when I'm in either location so I'd be able to keep the miles low. Seeing this thread though, I might want to hang on to my S4 so I've got a few months overlapping with both cars to really assess the daily drivability for me.
Old 01-14-2022, 02:02 PM

Received 47 Likes on 20 Posts
AMG GTS (2016), GL63 (2016), SL63 (2022) -- Old Cars: E400, CLS 63s, ML 63, CL 600, S550 ...
I actually don't mind the GTS around town. It is a hard ride, but I feel very in touch with the road and absolutely love the directional responsiveness the car provides. I drove my brothers new C8 Corvette the other day and it has a much softer ride. But although I expected to like the softer ride better, I found it took away from the driving experience (for me) and I wanted to get back into my GTS.

Having said that, I did drive the GTS from Vancouver to Seattle shortly after I got it. It is mostly a straight and boring highway, and suffers from a surface which is not that smooth. In the GTS, the non-smooth surface creates a lot of noise. That was very tiring - so I would not do it again. I have also driven the GTS from Vancouver to Whistler several times - which is a smooth and winding road. It is heaven - and provides an experience I've never had in another car. The GTS is an amazing beast with claw-like grip in that situation. Driving that highway in that car is a life experience that should not be missed.

Finally - maybe I am too easily pleased, but I find the sound system fantastic (I have the Burmeister - which I assume everyone does). The sound is fantastic, bested only by the optional top-line Burmeister in my S. I am sorry the GTS does not have Android Auto, but otherwise I am quite happy with the electronics. I also feel that the interior is beautiful. Sometimes I go sit in it in the garage just because I love sitting in it (sorry if that makes people consider me a bit odd). IMHO, the perhaps smallish gap between the C and the GTS interiors is more a testament to the fantastic C interiors available now than a problem with the GTS interior.

Just my 2c.

Old 01-14-2022, 02:50 PM

2020 GTA; 2022 Audi e-tron GT, 2022 Ford F-150; 1926 Rolls-Royce Springfield 40/50 Playboy roadster
Orange County is the name of counties in: California, Florida, Texas, Virginia, New York, Indiana, Vermont and North Carolina. So when people tell us they are from Orange County adding the state would be helpful.
The following 2 users liked this post by MalibuScott:
Acta_Non_Verba (01-14-2022), sevenhead (01-30-2022)
Old 01-14-2022, 06:58 PM

2018 Audi S4
Originally Posted by MalibuScott
Orange County is the name of counties in: California, Florida, Texas, Virginia, New York, Indiana, Vermont and North Carolina. So when people tell us they are from Orange County adding the state would be helpful.
Orange County, CA. Totally didn't think about that, good call out!
Old 01-14-2022, 09:19 PM

Orange County, CA. Totally didn't think about that, good call out!
Hello neighbor.
Old 01-14-2022, 11:58 PM

Received 28 Likes on 12 Posts
AMG GTs, G550, Jeep JKU, 78 Bronco
Somehow I posted this on the wrong thread. Oops

I swapped over from a highly modified Audi S7 last year. There are a few things that I miss from my Audi but I have never looked back after I got the GTS. It is a bit harder to get in and out of and feels the road much more than the Audis I have had. I love feeling the road now. Not worried about it being a little lower and harder to get in and out of because it is more of a drivers car than a comfortable ride. The biggest difference is the raw power that AMG has over Audi. My S7 was over 700hp and could do 0-60 in under 3 seconds all day long but you couldn’t feel the speed. AWD and comfort made it feel more tame. When I first drove the GTS I was smiling from ear to ear and it has not stopped. It isn’t as fast 0-60 but the power above 30mph, ish. Lol, won’t stop. I kept saying it will be great to commute in while in comfort mode however, I have only tried it once. I’m always in sport plus and driving it like I stole it. The main reason I swapped over to Mercedes was because of service. The few times I had any issues with my Audis’, it was a nightmare at my dealerships. I also had a Q7 that was stock and the service was terrible. I moved over to a GL63 and the service was so amazing at Mercedes of Birmingham I decided to swap out for another Mercedes. Best decision I have made. To me, there is not a comparison. Mercedes is superior.
Old 01-15-2022, 10:48 AM

Received 47 Likes on 20 Posts
AMG GTS (2016), GL63 (2016), SL63 (2022) -- Old Cars: E400, CLS 63s, ML 63, CL 600, S550 ...
Originally Posted by bhamcarnut
When I first drove the GTS I was smiling from ear to ear and it has not stopped.
There is something about this car's ride, handling and acceleration that makes me feel like a kid driving a fast car for the first time - every time I get in.

If you have not seen it, check out Probst doing a hot lap at Laguna Seca. It's here:
I realize this is on the track, not the street, but the way he is smiling and describing his love of the car is spot on. For me there is just something about driving this car ......

Last edited by MurrayG; 01-15-2022 at 10:51 AM.
bhamcarnut (01-15-2022)