New GTS Owner

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-03-2022, 01:02 PM

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts
2017 AMG C63s
New GTS Owner

Hello all,

I just purchased a 2016 GTS Edition 1 and have a few questions.

Are all the rattles and bumps coming from the rear hatch and roof normal? And the suspension squeaks whenever I go over speed bumps. The car does have 50k miles but it’s CPO so I’m assuming everything was checked at the dealership.

Also I’m coming from a 2017 C63s and that car had so many more features. The car had auto steer and distance pilot when I activated my cruise control. And the dynamic select would allow me to visualize my vehicle/engine data. Overall the GTS seems to lack a lot of what my C63 had. Does anyone know why the GTS doesn’t come with these features ?

Any and all info on this car is welcomed thanks
Old 06-03-2022, 01:58 PM

Received 95 Likes on 63 Posts
2017 c63s drop top
Congrats and welcome, I myself came from a 17 C63 convertible to a 17 AMG GT. Can't speak to the squeaks and rattles your are experiencing but it is a much harsher ride overall than the c was. As for the features the only thing I notice is missing is the surround view camera (never used the park assist in my C) and you can't remote start it from the App. The vehicle/engine data screens are there.
Old 06-03-2022, 02:20 PM

Received 216 Likes on 135 Posts
E55, 380SL, GLA 250 Sport, AMG GTS
Congratulation on getting yourself a true sports car. The GT lin is considered one of the more bare-bones productions among Mercedes model line. Squeaks and rattles are normal but some of the creature comfort features are missing from the GT line.
The following users liked this post:
Hetzle (06-22-2022)
Old 06-03-2022, 07:28 PM

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts
2016 AMG GTS Edition 1
Originally Posted by AmGenie
Hello all,

Are all the rattles and bumps coming from the rear hatch and roof normal? And the suspension squeaks whenever I go over speed bumps. The car does have 50k miles but it’s CPO so I’m assuming everything was checked at the dealership.

Also I’m coming from a 2017 C63s and that car had so many more features. The car had auto steer and distance pilot when I activated my cruise control. And the dynamic select would allow me to visualize my vehicle/engine data. Overall the GTS seems to lack a lot of what my C63 had. Does anyone know why the GTS doesn’t come with these features ?

I have the exact same car and had the exact same questions haha. Yes, it’s very normal. So much so that the dealer said the CPO covers everything except rattles and squeaks. You’ll find a bunch of forum posts on the same topic.

You could try to isolate some of the squeaks by seeing where the squeaks are coming from. Mine came from the trunk area where the metal striker was. Put some hockey tape around and it made it better. At first the squeaks bothered me but like others have said, it’s a sports car not a luxury one!

To visualize the engine data, some GTSs have the following screen: On your screen select Vehicle>Dynamic Select>Engine Data (The engine must be running for this option to show) My understanding is that not every GTS had this option as it was a software thing for later models.
Surge (06-22-2022)
Old 06-04-2022, 01:29 PM

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts
2017 AMG C63s
Originally Posted by Pautab1
I have the exact same car and had the exact same questions haha. Yes, it’s very normal. So much so that the dealer said the CPO covers everything except rattles and squeaks. You’ll find a bunch of forum posts on the same topic.

You could try to isolate some of the squeaks by seeing where the squeaks are coming from. Mine came from the trunk area where the metal striker was. Put some hockey tape around and it made it better. At first the squeaks bothered me but like others have said, it’s a sports car not a luxury one!

To visualize the engine data, some GTSs have the following screen: On your screen select Vehicle>Dynamic Select>Engine Data (The engine must be running for this option to show) My understanding is that not every GTS had this option as it was a software thing for later models.
Mine doesn’t have the data screens, I know how to navigate the menus pretty well coming from the c63.
Can you tell me specifically what / where the metal striker is? The rattles of this car ruins the driving experience for me.

Old 06-04-2022, 03:43 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,345 Likes on 2,065 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Congrats on your new whip!

The early GTS models were known for their stiff suspensions and also creaking suspension noises. MB Technical Doc L162. 30-P-061211 took care of that. Worth checking if your car had that done. Also, you might want to check if your car was eligible for the CF driveshaft replacement (they could snap) although there seems to be a sourcing issue now.
For rattles in the rear, you will just have to track down the source. There was also a software issue that created a mechanical sounding noise in the rear (PTS CASE #000080318). Maybe worth checking out. I would get the complete service history of the car from the dealer as well.

Good luck!
Surge (06-22-2022)
Old 06-04-2022, 04:36 PM

2016 AMG GTS Edition 1
Mine doesn’t have the data screens, I know how to navigate the menus pretty well coming from the c63.
Can you tell me specifically what / where the metal striker is? The rattles of this car ruins the driving experience for me.
yeah mine doesn’t either unfortunately. Here’s what I was referring to-

Striker used to be metal but used some hockey tape

Had some felt pads secure around the plastic where the plastic meets the glass

i would try to isolate where you’re hearing noise coming from too. In addition to the above one random day I had squeaking next to my head and I had to tighten a torx that was becoming loose

Surge (06-22-2022)
Old 06-04-2022, 04:39 PM

2016 AMG GTS Edition 1
Originally Posted by Wolfman
Congrats on your new whip!

The early GTS models were known for their stiff suspensions and also creaking suspension noises. MB Technical Doc L162. 30-P-061211 took care of that. Worth checking if your car had that done. Also, you might want to check if your car was eligible for the CF driveshaft replacement (they could snap) although there seems to be a sourcing issue now.
For rattles in the rear, you will just have to track down the source. There was also a software issue that created a mechanical sounding noise in the rear (PTS CASE #000080318). Maybe worth checking out. I would get the complete service history of the car from the dealer as well.

Good luck!
How can you check if the car was eligible for a driveshaft replacement? I went on the MB recall website and my VIN says no recalls at this time
Old 06-04-2022, 09:27 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,345 Likes on 2,065 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by Pautab1
How can you check if the car was eligible for a driveshaft replacement? I went on the MB recall website and my VIN says no recalls at this time
NHTSA Recall #19V457
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/201...9V457-9424.PDF
Old 06-22-2022, 09:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 412 Likes on 288 Posts
W463 G550 / C190 GTC //prev: W204 C63 507 / R170
As has been said, you can track down the rear hatch rattles and fix them yourself quite easily. I also had a creaking hood hinge, which sounded like it was coming from the rear hatch. The hinge was replaced and I have no creaks coming from the rear, or anywhere else in the car. That said, you will hear more sounds as you go over bumps - it’s the nature of the car.

GTC has a better ride than GT and GTS. I find the GTC in Comfort is a bit better than my 2015 C63 507…

I doubt your 2017 C63 had steering assist? You can get Distronic cruise on the GT, but I don’t think it’s worth it on this type of vehicle.

You should be able to see engine data in the Dynamic Select menu.

Enjoy!
Old 06-23-2022, 07:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 450 Likes on 358 Posts
2015 CLS 550 2015 ML 400 Previous 2020 GLB 250 2019 A 220 2005 ML 350 1989 300 E 2001 SL 500
Hello all,

GTS has a hydraulic steering rack as opposed to the electric rack in the C 63. Computer can't steer a hydraulic system.