Moving to Miami Soon Can't Wait

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-23-2022, 07:29 PM

Received 59 Likes on 34 Posts
2020 GTR
Moving to Miami Soon Can't Wait

Going out June 27th - the 4th to house hunt and have a few places lined up in Coral Gables and a couple of other places. Sorry if this is stupid but... The heat and humidity is much different there than here in SF Bay Area. Do I need to adjust anything in the GT R to help it live a long and glorious life? My guess is probably not really but I don't want to assume so asking the experts.
Old 06-23-2022, 07:37 PM

Received 105 Likes on 66 Posts
'18 AMG GTC, '96 BMW 318i, '10 Audi Q5 (wife)
Welcome to SoFL! I have only owned my GTC here, so no advice on a comparison. Feel free to PM me, always happy to meet and know a contributor to the forum.
The following users liked this post:
TriggrPullrUSMC (06-24-2022)
Old 06-23-2022, 07:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 538 Likes on 337 Posts
2024 AMG G63
Originally Posted by TriggrPullrUSMC
Going out June 27th - the 4th to house hunt and have a few places lined up in Coral Gables and a couple of other places. Sorry if this is stupid but... The heat and humidity is much different there than here in SF Bay Area. Do I need to adjust anything in the GT R to help it live a long and glorious life? My guess is probably not really but I don't want to assume so asking the experts.
The humidity in Coral Gables drops starting around 5:00pm and a slight evening breeze starts. Depending on where you look in “The Gables” there are lots of trees for shade.

I assume you are already aware of the large iguana lizard population there (up to 6ft long). They are actively hunted legally during the warmer months and when a cold snap occurs, they tend to freeze and fall out of the trees. They are very plentiful and virtually everwhere.

Of course the taxes will be much less as a plus.

It’s a good quality of life and the resturants are plentiful.

Your car should be very happy there but I would keep it in my garage when not in use.

Semper Fi.

Last edited by JSwan724; 06-23-2022 at 08:18 PM.
Old 06-24-2022, 02:09 AM

Received 148 Likes on 115 Posts
2018 Diamond White GT-R
Alarm System and Wilson Combat EDC9
Bahnstormer (06-24-2022)
Old 06-24-2022, 05:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 297 Likes on 247 Posts
2010 E63 AMG, 2003 E500
Old 06-24-2022, 08:07 AM

2020 GTR
Originally Posted by JSwan724
The humidity in Coral Gables drops starting around 5:00pm and a slight evening breeze starts. Depending on where you look in “The Gables” there are lots of trees for shade.

I assume you are already aware of the large iguana lizard population there (up to 6ft long). They are actively hunted legally during the warmer months and when a cold snap occurs, they tend to freeze and fall out of the trees. They are very plentiful and virtually everwhere.

Of course the taxes will be much less as a plus.

It’s a good quality of life and the resturants are plentiful.

Your car should be very happy there but I would keep it in my garage when not in use.

Semper Fi.
You sure you aren't talking about tree gators? Yeah I grew up in Georgia and we have family in the area, so I am familiar with those critters. Seems like they may have increased since the 80s when I was there as a kid? I'll station my gal outside with a cricket bat. She can teach them the East London way of dealing with things. At 6'2 350 lbs she is way too big (and frankly lazy) to play cricket but she likes to pretend. And she is my unofficial body guard. When she isn't herself physically assaulting me. Do they have woman bare knuckle fights in Miami? That tends to make her more passive at home.

Anyhow thanks for the scoop!! And Semper Fi

Last edited by TriggrPullrUSMC; 06-24-2022 at 08:36 AM.
Old 06-24-2022, 08:08 AM

2020 GTR
Originally Posted by Bahnstormer

Man I thought I had gotten my video removed from Youtube. How embarrassing I was having a bad hair year
Old 06-24-2022, 08:31 AM

2020 GTR
Originally Posted by 57 GTR
Alarm System and Wilson Combat EDC9
I have a Wilson CQB LOVE IT my preferred carry is the Staccato 2011 fastest gun I have ever had. Mine is the 45 ACP not the 9mm shown here. My only non 45 ACP is a 22 Ruger Mark IV my dad gave me when I just a wee LilTriggerPuller. I have alarm and the Blackvue system that will record 24/7 video so when they steal it and leave it as a burnt shell- I can pull the video card and say- Well that ain't gonna work. Is a bit of C4 popping strapped to a big bottle of pressurized fougasse that pops off when a thief takes it steal illegal? I need to look into that. Will also need to tie a string around my finger to remind me to disarm. Embarrassing when you forget.
Old 06-24-2022, 09:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 880 Likes on 453 Posts
Bentley Continental GT; AMG GT
I have a Wilson CQB LOVE IT my preferred carry is the Staccato 2011 fastest gun I have ever had. Mine is the 45 ACP not the 9mm shown here. My only non 45 ACP is a 22 Ruger Mark IV my dad gave me when I just a wee LilTriggerPuller. I have alarm and the Blackvue system that will record 24/7 video so when they steal it and leave it as a burnt shell- I can pull the video card and say- Well that ain't gonna work. Is a bit of C4 popping strapped to a big bottle of pressurized fougasse that pops off when a thief takes it steal illegal? I need to look into that. Will also need to tie a string around my finger to remind me to disarm. Embarrassing when you forget.
My last purchase, about a year and a half ago was a Ruger Mark IV Target (with long barrel). Love this gun for target shooting.
Old 06-24-2022, 10:08 AM

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
2022 G63, 2023 GLA 45S
I lived there for 4 years, across from the Gables in Coconut Grove...built a house with a custom garage and that wound up being a selling point when we left.

No need to prep anything on the car. Do be prepared for flatness and few curves. For spirited drives the east side of Lake Okechobee was my favorite...curvy since it hugs the lake, few people and an easy day drive. The backroad down to the keys was nice (as was the drive through the keys) but speed limits are strongly enforced.

Be ready for air surveillance from above for speeding so slow down whenever you see white timing lines on highways. And a good radar/laser detector was very useful there as well.

Further north there are better roads around Ocala.

One good thing there is that there are many tracks...I was on Sebring, Daytona, Moroso and Homestead and had a car run at Bradenton with a pro driver to see what it would do.

In terms of taxes, no state tax but the housing tax is one of the highest...I paid 4 times what I paid when I moved to Maryland for a similarly priced home.

All the best with the move!

Last edited by sjp3003; 06-24-2022 at 02:52 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 06-24-2022, 12:11 PM

Received 105 Likes on 66 Posts
'18 AMG GTC, '96 BMW 318i, '10 Audi Q5 (wife)
Originally Posted by sjp3003
I lived there for 4 years, across from the Gables in Cocomut Grove...built a house with a custom garage and that wound up being a selling point when we left.

No need to prep anything on the car. Do be prepared for flatness and few curves. For spirited drives the east side of Lake Okechobee was my favorite...curvy since it hugs the lake, few people and an easy day drive. The backroad down to the keys was nice (as was the drive through the keys) but speed limits are strongly enforced.

Be ready for air surveillance from above for speeding so slow down whenever you see white timing lines on highways. And a good radar/laser detector was very useful there as well.

One good thing there is that there are many tracks...I was on Sebring, Daytona, Moroso and Homestead and had a car run at Bradenton with a pro driver to see what it would do.

In terms of taxes, no state tax but the housing tax is one of the highest...I paid 4 times what I paid when I moved to Maryland for a similarly priced home.

FYI - Moroso aka PBIR is now sold and gone.
The following 3 users liked this post by BucsFan:
Bahnstormer (07-10-2022), sjp3003 (06-24-2022), TriggrPullrUSMC (06-24-2022)
Old 06-24-2022, 01:48 PM

2020 GTR
Originally Posted by sjp3003
I lived there for 4 years, across from the Gables in Cocomut Grove...built a house with a custom garage and that wound up being a selling point when we left.

Thanks good information for sure. Yeah I was shocked to see property tax is about the same there as here. I'll end up paying probably around 55-58K a year. Timing lines wow been a long time since I thought about those. One thing I do like about California is the CHP etc at least for me is always pretty nice as long as you aren't being a full on barbarian.
Old 06-24-2022, 08:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,490 Likes on 986 Posts
This place is a joke.
I escaped South Florida in 1999. We had a saying down there for those that left....build your fort up North, and point your cannons South. We had some other ones that aren't exactly politically correct Good Luck to you!
Old 06-24-2022, 08:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Coral Cables is a nice place.

I've done the drive to Key West from the Miami (Coral Cables) area several times and it is nothing to mess around with. The radar traps are significant. I've done it on bikes and cars.

The last time we went (Christmas of 2019) I rented a Dodge Caravan. A vehicle like the Caravan keeps you safe (LOL). I do NOT want to do that drive in a performance car (or bike)!

Too much torture!
Old 06-26-2022, 10:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 140 Likes on 107 Posts
ML350
I live in the gables. You will probably have a garage. You can put a bucket of damp rid to absorb humidity if you are OCD. Try not to keep it outside cuz of all the trees and their droppings…..and peacocks everywhere will climb and scratch up your car.

as for driving…..going to the keys is great as long as you go early…..traffic going after 9am and coming back after 4pm is terrible. Saturday and Sunday mornings are full of cyclists hogging the road in the gables/Pinecrest area. Just take your car to dinner and be done with it. My daily driver is a Ford F-250.

homestead speedway has track days on occasion.

Florida is full…..stay in California.
JSwan724 (06-26-2022)
Old 07-10-2022, 03:53 PM

2020 GTR
Originally Posted by Doctodd33
I live in the gables. You will probably have a garage. You can put a bucket of damp rid to absorb humidity if you are OCD. Try not to keep it outside cuz of all the trees and their droppings…..and peacocks everywhere will climb and scratch up your car.

as for driving…..going to the keys is great as long as you go early…..traffic going after 9am and coming back after 4pm is terrible. Saturday and Sunday mornings are full of cyclists hogging the road in the gables/Pinecrest area. Just take your car to dinner and be done with it. My daily driver is a Ford F-250.

homestead speedway has track days on occasion.

Florida is full…..stay in California.
Too late bought a house in Coral Gables on Sorolla Ave. What an amazing place so clean folks are really nice and no San Francisco Zombies stumbling around! We looked at homes for a week it was the last one we looked at before flying down to St Lucia this past week. I fly back to Miami for a day then she goes to London me to California to pack up and GTFO

In California the down tubes and cat deletes are illegal (as I have been told) if I decide to track day the car I may want to the down tubes etc are those legal in Florida- Asking for a friend that happens to share my brain.
Old 07-10-2022, 04:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Too late bought a house in Coral Gables on Sorolla Ave. What an amazing place so clean folks are really nice and no San Francisco Zombies stumbling around! We looked at homes for a week it was the last one we looked at before flying down to St Lucia this past week. I fly back to Miami for a day then she goes to London me to California to pack up and GTFO

In California the down tubes and cat deletes are illegal (as I have been told) if I decide to track day the car I may want to the down tubes etc are those legal in Florida- Asking for a friend that happens to share my brain.
Congrats on the move. Coral Gables and Miami are very nice! Yes, you'll be in a very different environment with performance mods now.

My wife and I shopped Fla properties a year ago, but the markets were (and probably still are) nuts. We were looking on the gulf side in Naples, but we would still maintain a prop in AZ. Maybe someday in the future. We'll be in London in Oct. We love London and could live there in a minute.

Best,
Old 07-10-2022, 04:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 297 Likes on 247 Posts
2010 E63 AMG, 2003 E500
There are no vehicle inspections in Florida so you can run headers, remove cats, etc.
TriggrPullrUSMC (07-10-2022)
Old 07-10-2022, 04:21 PM

2020 GTR
Originally Posted by Acta_Non_Verba
Congrats on the move. Coral Gables and Miami are very nice! Yes, you'll be in a very different environment with performance mods now.

My wife and I shopped Fla properties a year ago, but the markets were (and probably still are) nuts. We were looking on the gulf side in Naples, but we would still maintain a prop in AZ. Maybe someday in the future. We'll be in London in Oct. We love London and could live there in a minute.

Best,
Thank you! Yep London is really special. I love being there with the history and tings to do. If you like steak there is a basque place called Sagardi in Shoreditch- So good https://sagardi.co.uk/
Acta_Non_Verba (07-10-2022)
Old 07-10-2022, 06:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 140 Likes on 107 Posts
ML350
Welcome. Now don’t bring your California to Florida and make it a liberal wasteland like the place you left.
Acta_Non_Verba (07-10-2022)
Old 07-10-2022, 07:16 PM

2020 GTR
Originally Posted by Doctodd33
Welcome. Now don’t bring your California to Florida and make it a liberal wasteland like the place you left.
Nothing liberal about me- at all. Never has been never will be.
The following 3 users liked this post by TriggrPullrUSMC:
Acta_Non_Verba (07-10-2022), BucsFan (07-10-2022), JSwan724 (07-10-2022)
Old 07-10-2022, 08:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thank you! Yep London is really special. I love being there with the history and tings to do. If you like steak there is a basque place called Sagardi in Shoreditch- So good https://sagardi.co.uk/
Yes, so many places in London.
https://thehawksmoor.com/locations/seven-dials/
We like Hawksmoor Seven Dials for Sunday roast
https://www.greeneking-pubs.co.uk/pu...n/bag-o-nails/
Then for down/dirty we like fish and chips at Bag O' Nails in Victoria

I'll add your recommendation to our list.
Old 07-10-2022, 09:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 538 Likes on 337 Posts
2024 AMG G63

Congrats on your move. Hopefully it will be everything you want it to be.

I lived on Majorca Ave in Coral Gables and was a member of the Coral Gables Country Club for many years.

(Any info on the Iguana population in The Gables)?

Regards.

Last edited by JSwan724; 07-12-2022 at 11:35 AM.
Old 07-11-2022, 07:57 AM

Received 680 Likes on 362 Posts
2020 GTA; 2022 Audi e-tron GT, 2022 Ford F-150; 1926 Rolls-Royce Springfield 40/50 Playboy roadster
My favorite London restaurant is The River Cafe. https://www.rivercafe.co.uk/

They have a dynamite cookbook, too. My now ex wife, an amazing chef, used to cook for me from the book. Outstanding!
The following 2 users liked this post by MalibuScott:
Acta_Non_Verba (07-11-2022), TriggrPullrUSMC (07-11-2022)
Old 07-11-2022, 08:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MalibuScott
My favorite London restaurant is The River Cafe. https://www.rivercafe.co.uk/

They have a dynamite cookbook, too. My now ex wife, an amazing chef, used to cook for me from the book. Outstanding!
Hi Scott,

I will add this to our list for our October visit. Thanks for the recommendation

Acta

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Moving to Miami Soon Can't Wait