Coupe/Roadster
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sport+ Exhaust - How the Actuators Work

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-13-2022, 09:00 AM

Received 203 Likes on 107 Posts
I have the CETE module on my 20 GTR. Massive difference when driving the car normally or spiritedly. (Not much difference when you are pushing the car past 4.5/5k RPM on WOT, because the flaps are completely open then)

For 2020 models, the real issue was the EVM modulation.
A lesser, but slightly noticeable issue was the ECU tune having less "pop and bangs." The car still has quite a lot of those theatrics, but not as much as the preFL (either way, no EVM will fix that. Only ECU tune).
Also, I believe there is no OPF on the US AMG GTs. There has been discussion here and I have talked with the dealer about this. But who really knows unless they cut up FL cats and compare to the preFL.

Regardless, the CETE is a must have if you have a FL GT. You will instantly hear the difference and its massive. You can put the car to Ignition I/II position and open the flaps and then do emotion start also, if that is a dealbreaker for the CETE vs the Renntech.

Originally Posted by mjr24
Skilly....you said up above that CETE basically takes away the valves automatically opening on cold start. Can't I just press the exhaust button right away after I start the car with CETE to get them to open right up and get the same effect that it takes away? Is there any downside to keeping the valves closed when cold? In other words....why does the stock setting without any valve module open the valves at cold start?

I feel I prefer I might prefer the CETE because the exhaust button will still work as intended and basically open the valves 100%........I get the others have remote controls but it seems a bigger PIA to keep a remote around versus just pressing the dash exhaust button.
Yep, you can press the exhaust button right away anytime or even in the Ignition I/II position. I went CETE cause I liked that the exhaust button still had use. On the FL steering wheel, that means you get to keep the exhaust button by your fingertips

Last edited by ChargedMB; 10-13-2022 at 09:03 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ChargedMB:
mjr24 (10-13-2022), Skilly (10-15-2022)
Old 10-13-2022, 11:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 623 Likes on 369 Posts
2020 McLaren 720s Spider
Skilly....you said up above that CETE basically takes away the valves automatically opening on cold start. Can't I just press the exhaust button right away after I start the car with CETE to get them to open right up and get the same effect that it takes away? Is there any downside to keeping the valves closed when cold? In other words....why does the stock setting without any valve module open the valves at cold start?

I feel I prefer I might prefer the CETE because the exhaust button will still work as intended and basically open the valves 100%........I get the others have remote controls but it seems a bigger PIA to keep a remote around versus just pressing the dash exhaust button.
yeah, its minor - like you said, a very quick fix. And outside of that everything remains stock in its functioning; that's why I went Cete - about 20min to install too. Kindergarten simple.
The following users liked this post:
mjr24 (10-13-2022)
Old 10-15-2022, 01:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 411 Likes on 287 Posts
W463 G550 / C190 GTC //prev: W204 C63 507 / R170
Loving the occasional backfires with the stock exhaust in Sport+ mode! Floor throttle, then let off as you upshift in Manual.
Skilly (10-15-2022)
Old 10-21-2022, 09:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2020 GT C, 2020 GLE 450, 2019 CLS 450 AMG
Glad you mentioned the passenger kickplate in the passenger footwell. I thought it was just me. Installed the RennTech(RT) EVM in the GT C a couple of weeks ago and the electronics were quite simple, but getting that footwell kickplate off was a beast. And we all know there is no room down there. I have a neighbor who has done a complete and fabulous restoration of a 1961 SL 190. When I complained to him about the kickplate matter he stated "I have learned that MB parts go together very well, and when I am having trouble with the fit or forcing something it is me doing something incorrectly, not the car." My response to him on that was "you didn't have to deal with the kickplate in my GT!" Enough complaining. the EVM works great and there is a noticeable increase in volume on startup and at idle. I have turned it on and have left it on ever since install. Next on the list in the coming weeks are the RT downpipes and coilovers in order to lower the car a bit. I already have the RT EGU upgrade in it.
Surge (10-22-2022)
Old 10-22-2022, 01:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

And except for the crossbar behind the seats: the plastic trim part is a Nightmare to secure! Threw out my shoulder for months trying to put that back in.
Old 10-27-2022, 12:25 PM

gtr
Originally Posted by canucklehead
I too noticed that the valves were not simply open or closed. Even in some instances where the valves should have been open, they were definitely not. It was frustrating.
I have the Renntech unit. Set it to open over a year ago and have not messed with it since.
What I did notice in my case is that the car is now louder with the Renntech unit than it ever was prior.
Hello, which car do you have? I have the valve control on the 18 gtr, and what I mainly notice is the difference on startup, the idle sound don't change as much
Old 10-27-2022, 12:27 PM

gtr
Originally Posted by reignz
For the 18 GTR the Renntech module only gives you open cold start and open comfort mode. Maybe a tiny bit louder low end (Placebo effect?)

The Cete I don’t own but from what I gathered it starts in comfort mode with valves closed unless you intervene before starting which is an extra step.
I have the same car and setup, and I also notice that the only major difference is the startup. Could it be that the stock system valve is already mainly fully open?
Old 10-27-2022, 09:00 PM

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
2017 GCV, 2019 JEEP TH-E
Originally Posted by Hhccc1
I have the same car and setup, and I also notice that the only major difference is the startup. Could it be that the stock system valve is already mainly fully open?
the 18' GTR exhaust is just pure adrenaline from factory I would never mess with it. All you can make louder is the Cold/Warm start with the "module's”Skilly this is the second member with Raw data confirming my claims.

Last edited by reignz; 10-28-2022 at 08:37 AM.
sevenhead (10-28-2022)
Old 10-27-2022, 10:50 PM

Received 236 Likes on 158 Posts
Since the ASR/Renntech EVM has memory function, one can keep the Exhaust Valves open continuously, no matter start/stop status, etc.

This seems to be great prophylaxis against the not so infrequent, and dreaded Stuck Valve Syndrome which can put the car into Limp Mode, and requires a much more involved repair, either via MB Warranty magic (replacement of entire exhaust), or more focal repair via something like AJ Mehta's of Eurocharged Minneapolis:

There seems to be a possible newer fix, as MB may have released for separate purchase the actual Motor/Actuator Assembly:
https://mbworld.org/forums/coupe-roa...ml#post8657348

I am installing the ASR unit primarily for this purpose of prevention, although I can't hate on the apparent audible byproduct.

Last edited by MBNRG; 10-28-2022 at 03:30 PM.
Old 10-28-2022, 07:56 AM

Received 81 Likes on 44 Posts
2018 Mercedes-AMG GT R
the 18' GTR exhaust is just pure adrenaline from factory I would never mess with it. All you can make louder is the Cold/Warm start with the "module's". Skilly this is the second member with Raw data confirming my claims.
THIS!
I'm perfectly happy with the noise level in C and if I am feeling rambunctious I simply turn the knob to Sport+ and the GT R clears its throat and goes bombastic. It bellows its rage for being cooped up in Comfort mode. I really don't get the fascination with making this car louder. I have/had loud cars and I never tried to make them louder just for the sake of more noise. They became louder as I made performance modifications.
Reminds me of a guy that wanted his race car to be as loud as possible because he was equating noise with power.
The following 3 users liked this post by sevenhead:
Acta_Non_Verba (10-28-2022), reignz (10-28-2022), Stenzel-Germany (10-28-2022)
Old 10-28-2022, 07:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 877 Likes on 452 Posts
Bentley Continental GT; AMG GT
Originally Posted by sevenhead
THIS!
I'm perfectly happy with the noise level in C and if I am feeling rambunctious I simply turn the knob to Sport+ and the GT R clears its throat and goes bombastic. It bellows its rage for being cooped up in Comfort mode. I really don't get the fascination with making this car louder. I have/had loud cars and I never tried to make them louder just for the sake of more noise. They became louder as I made performance modifications.
Reminds me of a guy that wanted his race car to be as loud as possible because he was equating noise with power.
THIS^^^^^^

Especially this part - Reminds me of a guy that wanted his race car to be as loud as possible because he was equating noise with power.
The following 2 users liked this post by Acta_Non_Verba:
MBNRG (10-28-2022), reignz (10-28-2022)
Old 10-28-2022, 09:01 AM

Received 216 Likes on 135 Posts
E55, 380SL, GLA 250 Sport, AMG GTS
Originally Posted by Acta_Non_Verba
THIS^^^^^^

Especially this part - Reminds me of a guy that wanted his race car to be as loud as possible because he was equating noise with power.
I am all for having less things that can fail so the thing with these valves is that they are unnecessary. It should have been straight all the way (except for cats that are legally required).
MBNRG (10-28-2022)
Old 10-28-2022, 10:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

the 18' GTR exhaust is just pure adrenaline from factory I would never mess with it. All you can make louder is the Cold/Warm start with the "module's”Skilly this is the second member with Raw data confirming my claims.
What do you mean by "module's"? Like the Renntech?
Old 10-28-2022, 11:49 AM

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
2017 GCV, 2019 JEEP TH-E
Originally Posted by Surge
What do you mean by "module's"? Like the Renntech?
Renntech, ASR, CETE.
Old 10-28-2022, 12:11 PM

Received 236 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by UCIMBZ
I am all for having less things that can fail so the thing with these valves is that they are unnecessary. It should have been straight all the way (except for cats that are legally required).
100%
Hence am opting to keep Valves *ALWAYS* open via ASR EVM as in post above.
The less involvement of Actuator/Motor module, the less rotation of Valve around its axis, the less chance of the Stuck Valve Syndrome or Actuator failure.

I can understand MB wanting to give us the option of switching to quieter exhaust modes, however, these Valves/Actuators are the Achilles' Heel of the GT/x line up.
And one can always drive more mindfully in jurisdictions which actively and aggressively cite for loud exhaust volume (OC - Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach - I'm lookin at you, FFS)

Last edited by MBNRG; 10-28-2022 at 03:29 PM.
UCIMBZ (10-29-2022)
Old 12-06-2022, 03:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
M6 Gran Coupe
About to pull the trigger on one of these....

Question, do you have to do connecting with the CANBUS if you get the CETE one? Whereas, with the Renntech, you won't have to do this?

I almost think having to screw with the Canbus isn't worth it to me....

In other words, is the Renntech an easier installation than the CETE?
Old 12-06-2022, 11:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 623 Likes on 369 Posts
2020 McLaren 720s Spider
About to pull the trigger on one of these....

Question, do you have to do connecting with the CANBUS if you get the CETE one? Whereas, with the Renntech, you won't have to do this?

I almost think having to screw with the Canbus isn't worth it to me....

In other words, is the Renntech an easier installation than the CETE?
similar easy install for both.
Old 01-16-2023, 10:02 PM

2020 AMG GTC
Originally Posted by Surge
Is the Renntech module a difficult install?

On a related note, how do you do the “emotion start”? Never figured that out…
No, Renntech module is easy. Just one connector. Hold down one of the paddle shifters when starting the car and it will do the emotion start.
Surge (01-16-2023)