AMG GT Black Series

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-22-2022 | 03:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Originally Posted by Wolfman
Irrelevant IMO compared to the list of many other speciality cars discussed here. The same principle applies to all...
Well, you're wrong, if you think it doesn't apply. STOs and 765LTs did the exact same thing, and are now similarly coming back to reality.
Old 08-22-2022 | 03:31 PM
Super Moderator
MBWorld Ambassador

AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by Orcbolg
Well, you're wrong, if you think it doesn't apply. STOs and 765LTs did the exact same thing, and are now similarly coming back to reality.
I guess I was saying the same thing, perhaps poorly worded It applies to these other cars as well, not just to AMG.
The following users liked this post:
Orcbolg (08-22-2022)
Old 08-22-2022 | 03:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 AMG G63
Originally Posted by Skilly
The SLS BS a benchmark that I think created the mess in the first place. Much more limited in its production and of course the overall uniqueness of the car itself. Not to say that the GT BS isn't amazing but comparing the two just doesn't make a whole lot of sense except that the GT was its replacement. Also, I would replace the word "commanding" with the word "asking"....and unfortunately, for now, not really getting.

If Mercedes would have limited the production to that of the SLS pricing would be different but you know what they say about ifs and buts.

It has 3 major headwinds:
1. they made too many - supply exceeds demand You keep saying this but the truth is that there are only 7 NEW GTBS left today. That means MB got their NEW CAR money. The GTBS at the dealers now are flips and as I posted earlier 37 cars in inventory nationally really that much.
2 the market is generally correcting and will be for the next 2 years. Generally agree but there is still some high end car money available.
3. the competition in this price point is fierce and proven (and expanding). I’m not seeing this. There are cars still moving in the high $4’s and low $5’s. As it was pointed out sales are still producing a $100k profit over MSRP or more. I am not aware of any below MSRP sales. It is important to remember that production stopped just 10 months ago. So we are just begining the shake out process.

Not a troll; been on here a while and...I LOVE LOVE LOVE my GTR Pro, but Im just looking objectively at the market and its pressures. I suppose if I had a BS I would hope to feel differently and perhaps see a more silver lining - not sure. I just hate paying too much for anything, even in an emotional purchase. IF you had bought a GTBS at MSRP you wouldn’t have lost anything. In fact you may have made $100k over MSRP.

GOOD DISCUSSION
Old 08-22-2022 | 03:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Originally Posted by Wolfman
I guess I was saying the same thing, perhaps poorly worded It applies to these other cars as well, not just to AMG.
Gotcha, we're on the same page now. 😁
Old 08-22-2022 | 04:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 McLaren 720s Spider
Originally Posted by JSwan724
GOOD DISCUSSION
Indeed!

Supply in demand is related. So if its 37 or 137 the demand side is requiring these cars to adjust pricing downward; not the other way around. So, regardless of if the new market is tapped out, the used market for now is priced such that there are 37 to choose from if Im a buyer. To put that in perspective with my Pro, there are 2 available used and none new.

In reference to the market adjustment downward, is a reference to general trends. That might have correlation but was not means to imply causation to a dried up high end buyer. On the contrary, I think it's more resetting for the high end buyer to get a better view of what is out there and taking speculation out of the demand side, which I think is a great thing. Its just that when the dust settles at a 400K to 500K price point you are now competing with 765LTs, F8s etc and the GT just always ends up getting under rated in that high end exotic market. It's going to get further pinched with the Porsche GT3RS making its way back into the market too. So, Id say again, this is a small crowded market and the GTBS just ends up being an unsung hero...right or wrong.

For those that purchased the GTBS at MSRP - thats awesome - Id say its not the norm, so be proud of your status with MB and the dealer...you got something that most didn't! And, it's more likely that you were extended that because you are a well connected enthusiast that has shown brand loyalty etc - I don't think dealerships want to extend MSRP to folks that have a likelihood of flipping it for the highest bid.
CincyMBGuy (08-24-2022)
Old 08-23-2022 | 11:19 AM

2004 E55
Indeed!

Supply in demand is related. So if its 37 or 137 the demand side is requiring these cars to adjust pricing downward; not the other way around. So, regardless of if the new market is tapped out, the used market for now is priced such that there are 37 to choose from if Im a buyer. To put that in perspective with my Pro, there are 2 available used and none new.

In reference to the market adjustment downward, is a reference to general trends. That might have correlation but was not means to imply causation to a dried up high end buyer. On the contrary, I think it's more resetting for the high end buyer to get a better view of what is out there and taking speculation out of the demand side, which I think is a great thing. Its just that when the dust settles at a 400K to 500K price point you are now competing with 765LTs, F8s etc and the GT just always ends up getting under rated in that high end exotic market. It's going to get further pinched with the Porsche GT3RS making its way back into the market too. So, Id say again, this is a small crowded market and the GTBS just ends up being an unsung hero...right or wrong.

For those that purchased the GTBS at MSRP - thats awesome - Id say its not the norm, so be proud of your status with MB and the dealer...you got something that most didn't! And, it's more likely that you were extended that because you are a well connected enthusiast that has shown brand loyalty etc - I don't think dealerships want to extend MSRP to folks that have a likelihood of flipping it for the highest bid.

The way I look at the premier customers offered to buy at MSRP, they have already prepaid for the premium from years of purchases from the dealership. The dealership always win.
Orcbolg (08-23-2022)
Old 08-23-2022 | 11:25 AM

AMG GTR Pro
Very true. I have paid my dues.
trbo50 (08-23-2022)
Old 08-23-2022 | 01:29 PM

... To put that in perspective with my Pro, there are 2 available used and none new. ...
Just as an FYI (2022-Aug-23), there are 2 new ones and 1 used available via AutoTrader in Canada:
https://www.autotrader.ca/cars/merce...advancedSearch

Of course the new ones ridiculously priced (and have been on the market for some time)!

Last edited by user33; 08-23-2022 at 01:32 PM.
jn66 (08-23-2022)
Old 08-23-2022 | 02:18 PM

AMG GTR Pro
Originally Posted by user33
Just as an FYI (2022-Aug-23), there are 2 new ones and 1 used available via AutoTrader in Canada:

Of course the new ones ridiculously priced (and have been on the market for some time)!
Here are the US auction prices for the GTR Pro.

Anyone paying those kinds of prices for a GTR Pro is going to be really disappointed once crazytown pricing goes away again.

Old 08-23-2022 | 03:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 McLaren 720s Spider
Originally Posted by user33

These are just GTRs; not GTR Pros.
Old 08-23-2022 | 03:52 PM

2021 GT BS, 2019 G63 ED1, 2016 GTS
How many miles have you put on yours (identical to mine) Jerry? I still have that fear factor of putting too many miles on it but then again its insane to drive so still torn.

Thanks
Old 08-23-2022 | 04:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 McLaren 720s Spider
Originally Posted by AMG GTR Pro

Anyone paying those kinds of prices for a GTR Pro is going to be really disappointed once crazytown pricing goes away again.

Pre-crazy they were retailing in the sub 200K category so if this being wholesale sounds about right. Average retail market is in the $230K range right now and given the inventory, it's hardly a buyers market.

Haven't seen a blue Pro before - love to see a pic. A hell green is pretty uncommon too as is yellow. Do you have the VINs to share?

Last edited by Skilly; 08-23-2022 at 04:19 PM.
Old 08-23-2022 | 04:41 PM

AMG GTR Pro
Pre-crazy they were retailing in the sub 200K category so if this being wholesale sounds about right. Average retail market is in the $230K range right now and given the inventory, it's hardly a buyers market.

Haven't seen a blue Pro before - love to see a pic. A hell green is pretty uncommon too as is yellow. Do you have the VINs to share?
Those are the 2020 GTR Pro Numbers.

It may not be a buyers market but that can also be because there are no buyers.
Old 08-23-2022 | 05:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 McLaren 720s Spider
Those are the 2020 GTR Pro Numbers.

It may not be a buyers market but that can also be because there are no buyers.
That makes no sense but might be a sentence structure thing. If there aren't any for sale that means they are all owned and no one is selling them. So if Im a buyer I dont have any to choose from it's not a great situation for me as a buyer. Ergo, not a buyers market. I might be missing something tho - not following your logic.

With those all being Pros. do you have VINs? Those are usually attached with a report like this...the previous references (not from you) from Canada weren't Pros.
Old 08-23-2022 | 05:42 PM

AMG GTR Pro
That makes no sense but might be a sentence structure thing. If there aren't any for sale that means they are all owned and no one is selling them. So if Im a buyer I dont have any to choose from it's not a great situation for me as a buyer. Ergo, not a buyers market. I might be missing something tho - not following your logic.

With those all being Pros. do you have VINs? Those are usually attached with a report like this...the previous references (not from you) from Canada weren't Pros.
My wording was wonky.

IMO the problem with the GTR Pro is that it has a super razor thin market appeal. Just because a few cars are for sale doesn’t mean that a bunch of buyers are clamoring to buy them. They have stupid numbers on them and are sitting around with dealers trying to hit grand slams.

It is not really a new model, it is essentially a track package for the GTR. In fact, I have said it before, it is the car that the GTR should have been. It’s essentially a Weissach package for the GTR.

While there may only be a couple for sale most of them have already changed hands a couple of times. Many were owned by future GT Black owners that moved them early that were scooped up by GTR owners that actually tracked their cars.

In the end, I just don’t think the Pro is a super desirable car. If you’re a Supercar buyer you bought a GT Black if you wanted the pinnacle GT. If you are a value sports car buyer, you picked up a GTR when their prices were down or a Pro at a discount to MSRP.

If someone bought a Pro thinking they were getting a Black for 150K less, let’s agree to disagree.

Let’s not forget the depreciation disaster that the GT platform was in before Covid.

I’m not going to provide VIN’s they are not relevant to the discussion. 2020 GTR’s are running through the auction around 10K to 15K less than Pros.

The following 2 users liked this post by AMG GTR Pro:
JSwan724 (08-23-2022), reignz (08-23-2022)
Old 08-23-2022 | 06:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 McLaren 720s Spider
My wording was wonky.

IMO the problem with the GTR Pro is that it has a super razor thin market appeal. Just because a few cars are for sale doesn’t mean that a bunch of buyers are clamoring to buy them. They have stupid numbers on them and are sitting around with dealers trying to hit grand slams.

It is not really a new model, it is essentially a track package for the GTR. In fact, I have said it before, it is the car that the GTR should have been. It’s essentially a Weissach package for the GTR.

While there may only be a couple for sale most of them have already changed hands a couple of times. Many were owned by future GT Black owners that moved them early that were scooped up by GTR owners that actually tracked their cars.

In the end, I just don’t think the Pro is a super desirable car. If you’re a Supercar buyer you bought a GT Black if you wanted the pinnacle GT. If you are a value sports car buyer, you picked up a GTR when their prices were down or a Pro at a discount to MSRP.

If someone bought a Pro thinking they were getting a Black for 150K less, let’s agree to disagree.

Let’s not forget the depreciation disaster that the GT platform was in before Covid.

I’m not going to provide VIN’s they are not relevant to the discussion. 2020 GTR’s are running through the auction around 10K to 15K less than Pros.
This is well said and well understood. In fact I picked up my Pro from a BS buyer who traded it in...managed a wholesale price from an MB dealer and really. I was just right place, right time.

It's an incredible car for the money but never a thought that I was in GTBS territory, nor should anybody have that thought with the Pro (or GTR). If on the other hand I was comparing values between a GTR and a GTR Pro and if seeing them as the same, it's kind of a no brainer to go with the Pro - in part, that might be why there's so many GTRs available vs GTR Pros but, one was limited and the other wasn't. Also the Pro is guaranteed to have the refresh whereas most of the GTRs available are pre-facelift. I've been watching that Pro market for a while - its still asking about >30K more than a regular GTR and seemingly getting it; those available even a couple of months ago are gone now.

From a retail perspective they have grown in cost over the last couple of years; however, they didn't seem to get the benefit that other cars got comparatively. Maybe 20% increase that seems at least for now to be largely intact. An auction with a well put together low miles Pro in the low 180Ks seems to be a low risk way to make some money even if it were a 'quick' flip. Bigger dollars to consider and a MUCH larger market premium lingering, but the GTBS doesnt feel as stable to bet on given the available inventory - except of course for people like yourself that got one at MSRP or a marginal ADM.

Just my 2cents

Last edited by Skilly; 08-23-2022 at 06:38 PM.
Old 08-24-2022 | 08:16 AM

GTR
Does the AMG GTR use the same transmission as the BS?

If not, what are the differences?
Old 08-24-2022 | 01:08 PM

My situation aligns with comments by both AMG GTR Pro and Skilly. I previously tracked a C63 S and picked up my GTR Pro in 2021 that was (I suspect on consignment) at a Mercedes dealer and was the owner's "hold-over" car until his BS arrived (of course, he slightly miscalculated as his BS delivery was delayed, like everyone else's).

I wanted a Pro because, for me, it's primarily a track car and wouldn't spend the $ (or wait for) a BS. At the current prices, mine has had significant appreciation (not so much if you consider the 25% in federal/provincial taxes paid) but I don't expect that to continue ... which is fine with me as I simply want to enjoy the car, not try to make money with it.

I've been watching the Pro sales in Canada and have seen that most of the attempts at making a large profit have, thus far, failed. The very high priced examples have been sitting on the market for many months.

Skilly: if you search the linked AutoTrader web page for "r pro" you'll find (among the many GTRs) 3 Pros, 2 new at $329,900 CAD and 1 with 3,350 km at $289,900 CAD (2022-Aug-24):
https://mbworld.org/forums/coupe-roa...ml#post8621451
Old 08-24-2022 | 01:31 PM
dbk

I popped in to see if there was ever any progress on a US Market exhaust after watching Misha's ring video today, and I can't say I'm surprised to see the topic still being prices (which is basically most of what anyone talks about as it relates to cars now).

I'll say this - I hadn't driven the BS in a couple months and did the other day. This car is really special. It's an absolute animal. Price up down left right whatever...if you can buy one, buy one and do yourself a favor and drive it. I think history will look quite favorably on these things and in 10 or 20 years nobody will really care whether it has 200 miles or 2,000. I think the 3RS is looking really spectacular and will be interested to see if it can meet the performance of the BS on the Ring.

I took the BS out to the Woodward Dream Cruise and was surprised how many people actually knew what it was, and that it was any different than any other AMG GT. People really seemed to appreciate the car..
Old 08-24-2022 | 08:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 Irridium Silver MB C63 AMG Sedan
Some smart people with some great comments and discussions...Great read!
Skilly (08-24-2022)
Old 08-27-2022 | 01:11 PM

2004 E55

Thanks for the insight to the auction market. Do you have any data for the BS?
Old 08-29-2022 | 09:21 PM

2015 Mercedes S550 Coupe
My friends BS along with my GTR on a rally in indiana.. what a good time it was
The following 6 users liked this post by Y.Haider:
AMG 17GT (08-30-2022), California John (08-29-2022), MalibuScott (08-29-2022), Orcbolg (08-29-2022), thebishman (08-30-2022), trbo50 (08-29-2022) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-29-2022 | 09:23 PM

2015 Mercedes S550 Coupe
Originally Posted by trbo50
Thanks for the insight to the auction market. Do you have any data for the BS?
for black series

The following 2 users liked this post by Y.Haider:
Orcbolg (08-29-2022), trbo50 (08-29-2022)
Old 08-29-2022 | 10:20 PM

2004 E55
Originally Posted by Y.Haider
My friends BS along with my GTR on a rally in indiana.. what a good time it was
Beautiful cars! These are the real exotics in the the “exotic” crowd.
The following 4 users liked this post by trbo50:
crconsulting (08-29-2022), MalibuScott (08-30-2022), Orcbolg (08-29-2022), reignz (08-30-2022)
Old 08-30-2022 | 08:16 AM

2021 AMG GT BS 2008 CLK63 BS 2011 AMG SLS
Does that grid take into account the buyers fee?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: AMG GT Black Series