Rear bumper

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-14-2022, 06:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E200
Rear bumper

Hi,
Does anyone know if there is a difference on n rear bumper shape of 2022 AMG GT coupe produced for US vs Europe. In particular will the European license plates fit the US models?
Thanks in advance!
Old 09-16-2022, 04:44 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,303 Likes on 2,049 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by Gerag
Hi,
Does anyone know if there is a difference on n rear bumper shape of 2022 AMG GT coupe produced for US vs Europe. In particular will the European license plates fit the US models?
Thanks in advance!
The US DOT requires the car to have two bumperettes on the rear bumper which limited the license plate space. The bumper itself is the same. Those bumperettes can be removed and while leaving holes in the bumper, they should be covered by the European license plates.
Otherwise some countries in Europe have the option for custom-sized US-shaped license plates (like Germany).
Old 09-16-2022, 05:04 PM

E200
Thanks very much, Wolfman ! Do you know by any chance if the full bumper dissembling needed to get rid of those bumperettes ?

Originally Posted by Wolfman
The US DOT requires the car to have two bumperettes on the rear bumper which limited the license plate space. The bumper itself is the same. Those bumperettes can be removed and while leaving holes in the bumper, they should be covered by the European license plates.
Otherwise some countries in Europe have the option for custom-sized US-shaped license plates (like Germany).
Old 09-16-2022, 05:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 623 Likes on 369 Posts
2020 McLaren 720s Spider
Thanks very much, Wolfman ! Do you know by any chance if the full bumper dissembling needed to get rid of those bumperettes ?
You'll damage the bumper cover getting them from the front. And, getting them off is no easy task. Removal of the bumper cover is tough - SUPER easy to rip it and a specialized tool to unclip it at the sides. Id leave that to the experts. There are heat shields to remove as well. And, getting at it from the bottom and removing the valance is a no go too - here is what it looks like:

once they're off your bumper is gonna have 4 holes that wont be easy to repair - even done with care, shrinking of the materials and general flexing etc leaves it strong risk of showing up even after you pay top dollar for bodywork and paint. Every risk I am sharing is through personal experience. I have converted a C63s bumper to Euro spec (it never looked right) and I have done a rear GTC bumper cover removal (and ripped it).

Heres a shot of the swiss cheese you can expect to see after the bumperettes are removed:

Old 09-16-2022, 05:39 PM

E200
That’s tough indeed, I will definitely leave it to dealership to do, and hope to be able to use some of holes to screw in the license plate and the remaining too will try to cover with clips- alternatively it will have to go to body shop and get repaired and repainted. Still will be cheaper, I guess, then buying new bumper 🤷‍♂️😐
Old 09-16-2022, 05:57 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,303 Likes on 2,049 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
The outer screws would not be covered up by the plate and needs fixing but this work is a piece of cake for a body shop and should be cheap as well. Most important it will look much better than the US models...
Old 09-16-2022, 06:15 PM

E200
Thanks, and I fully agree these “fangs” in US models is a complete misnomer…
Old 09-16-2022, 09:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 623 Likes on 369 Posts
2020 McLaren 720s Spider
Thanks, and I fully agree these “fangs” in US models is a complete misnomer…
i have a friend that calls them "marshmallows" because thats about how useful they are for impact.
The following users liked this post:
Gerag (09-16-2022)