Sponsored by:

AMG GTR STAGE 1 TUNE

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-27-2022, 09:49 AM

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
AMG GTR
AMG GTR STAGE 1 TUNE

Hi all, just had my 2018 AMG GTR Dyno tuned and these are the stock vs tuned numbers. What are your thoughts? Is this inline with other tunes? I have no other mods

I am surprised by the numbers, but the car made 585hp and 700 Stock and with the tune came out to 690hp and 900Nm - car doesnt struggle to put power down when the tyres are warm and rolling

It seems like the latest tunes are extracting more power?

The following 5 users liked this post by DarkknightgGTR:
AMG 17GT (11-27-2022), California John (11-27-2022), JSwan724 (11-27-2022), lgarcia (11-28-2022), reignz (11-27-2022)
Old 11-27-2022, 11:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 959 Likes on 576 Posts
‘24 BMW iX M60
Paging Acta! lol
The following users liked this post:
KenGross (11-27-2022)
Old 11-27-2022, 11:38 AM

AMG GTR
?
Old 11-27-2022, 03:04 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
AMG GT-C Roadster
Acta Non Verba is our forum tuner guru. He'll know how best to answer your question.
Old 11-27-2022, 04:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 877 Likes on 452 Posts
Bentley Continental GT; AMG GT
You guys are embarrassing me. The only thing I am a guru on is Cold Beer and Cheeseburgers.

To @DarkknightgGTR

To answer your Q - It seems like the latest tunes are extracting more power?

Stage I tunes are pretty simple and HP is easy to extract on a FI platform. A stage I tune typically brings about 50/60 HP. By your dyno sheet, your bump is 105 HP off your baseline 585; 113 off the factory baseline (but more on that).

Stage I tunes, typically, are nothing more than a 0.1 BAR bump on the turbos. Tuners (tune companies selling canned tunes) might be doing more than that, but the easiest path to 50/60 HP is that way. Every tuner has his "secret sauce" but there are only so many ingredients that can go into the sauce.

Back to your dyno sheet, There is a whole lot more info needed on a raw dyno sheet like this:

Were the dyno data (shown above) corrected?
SAE? or STD correction?
Driveline efficiency corrected? I can guess so by the high numbers (585 HP; 690 HP) This couldn't be at the wheels.
Where were the dyno pulls done? Elevation, air temps, humidity? (Which the dyno operator should have corrected)
Were both before/after pulls done at the same time? Hours apart? days apart?
Same operator for the before and after pulls?
Were the Dyno pulls part of the tune (done by the tune company)? Or did you get a stage I tune, then go to an independent dyno shop to do the before after pulls?

I'm posing all these Qs BC the numbers are high. You pulled 585 HP benchmark against a stock 577 HP motor. Not impossible, and you can make almost any dyno do that. Aftermarket dynos are flakey and all over the place, but the real advantage to using them is COMPARATIVE, just as you have done - before and after. It's just for me 105 HP is a lot for stage I. If you really got 100+ HP and the tuner only bumped turbos, that 100 HP is going to need more fuel (this is a VVE fueled engine; not using a MAF/MAP) and probably some different timing and possibly a little more octane than 93. That's for a "safe" motor.

​​​​​​​Acta
Old 11-27-2022, 06:58 PM

AMG GTR
hello Acta - thanks for coming back

The tune was done on the dyno and the runs were done maybe 1hr apart - i think these numbers are PS and not HP.

i agree the numbers are high and i was expecting something around 650hp

it was done in the uk, winter so temp in low teens C, close to sea level

fuel is shell Vpower98ron which is different to US fuels

Originally Posted by Acta_Non_Verba
You guys are embarrassing me. The only thing I am a guru on is Cold Beer and Cheeseburgers.

To @DarkknightgGTR

To answer your Q - It seems like the latest tunes are extracting more power?

Stage I tunes are pretty simple and HP is easy to extract on a FI platform. A stage I tune typically brings about 50/60 HP. By your dyno sheet, your bump is 105 HP off your baseline 585; 113 off the factory baseline (but more on that).

Stage I tunes, typically, are nothing more than a 0.1 BAR bump on the turbos. Tuners (tune companies selling canned tunes) might be doing more than that, but the easiest path to 50/60 HP is that way. Every tuner has his "secret sauce" but there are only so many ingredients that can go into the sauce.

Back to your dyno sheet, There is a whole lot more info needed on a raw dyno sheet like this:

Were the dyno data (shown above) corrected?
SAE? or STD correction?
Driveline efficiency corrected? I can guess so by the high numbers (585 HP; 690 HP) This couldn't be at the wheels.
Where were the dyno pulls done? Elevation, air temps, humidity? (Which the dyno operator should have corrected)
Were both before/after pulls done at the same time? Hours apart? days apart?
Same operator for the before and after pulls?
Were the Dyno pulls part of the tune (done by the tune company)? Or did you get a stage I tune, then go to an independent dyno shop to do the before after pulls?

I'm posing all these Qs BC the numbers are high. You pulled 585 HP benchmark against a stock 577 HP motor. Not impossible, and you can make almost any dyno do that. Aftermarket dynos are flakey and all over the place, but the real advantage to using them is COMPARATIVE, just as you have done - before and after. It's just for me 105 HP is a lot for stage I. If you really got 100+ HP and the tuner only bumped turbos, that 100 HP is going to need more fuel (this is a VVE fueled engine; not using a MAF/MAP) and probably some different timing and possibly a little more octane than 93. That's for a "safe" motor.

Acta
Old 11-27-2022, 08:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hi @DarkknightgGTR

All of the conditions you describe are IDEAL - sea level, high density air, probably humid, around 12*C, you can't get better than that for good numbers. The #s are high and dynos can be "flakey" but not unbelievable. Was it a custom tune or a download? If it was a custom tune done by a good tuner he could have maximized the parameters, but @ 105/113 HP over stock, falling a little out of what a Stage I tune would be. OK too BC these "stage" tunes are all loosely defined anyway. But I would rather have a custom tune done by a good tuner than ANY canned tune. The Shell 98ron should be good. 98ron is closer to 94 octane here, so good!

Please keep in mind and probably you know this - HP is Constantly changing based on the conditions in which you find yourself driving. Based on what you've said about the conditions, you probably couldn't create a better operating environment.

BTW, I just returned from a week in London. I love it there. In all the places I've traveled (in Europe) I could live in London!

All the Best,

Acta
Old 11-28-2022, 03:15 AM

AMG GTR
London is a very cool city

It was a custom tune done by one of the most reputable in the UK. There are a couple of other similarly reputable tuners who quote 650hp and 850nm, and one or two that quote 700hp with a down pipe.

i was surprised by the numbers but they are one of the best

My main concern was driveability and also making sure the car operated well with in the safety parameters of what it could handle…..
Old 11-28-2022, 07:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You're being very smart going with a reputable tuner. I'm not a fan of the "off the shelf" canned tunes.

Now you can make adds or additions based on how your needs for the car change and be confident with someone who knows where you are today and how to get you where you want to go...Smart!

I've seen too many novice car owners get caught up in marketing sensational claims then try to piece together tunes and components they find online. So often these mismatched components actually fight each other. Then, not surprisingly, every once in a while, someone comes on line with the sad story they blew their engine or took out the DCT.

All the Best,

Acta
Old 11-28-2022, 07:54 AM

Received 81 Likes on 44 Posts
2018 Mercedes-AMG GT R
Firstly, I believe the European GTR has been quoted as having 585 BHP v. 577 BHP in the US. Perhaps higher octane in Europe v US.

Secondly, if the torque increase is real I would be concerned about the clutches. Again I have read where 900 NM (664 lb/ft) is nearing the limit of clutch capacity.

I have had some tuning experience in the WRX world and the VAG world. If I have my druthers I would go for a custom tune with built in safety margin over a canned tune that is one size fits all. Engines don't work that way and will see a wide variety of environmental conditions, stresses and inputs. Without realtime monitoring of EGT's, air/fuel ratios, injector duty cycles, and IAT's you are betting that the tune is capable of adjusting to a wide variety of variables.
The following 3 users liked this post by sevenhead:
Acta_Non_Verba (11-28-2022), MBNRG (11-28-2022), thebishman (11-28-2022)
Old 11-28-2022, 10:27 AM

AMG GTR
The tuners who are very reputable seem to believe that the GTS, AND C63s can handle over 1000NM and the drive train is still fine. Obviously one of my concerns was longevity and also ensuring there is a decent safety margin….

Any links to these so i can have a read also?
Old 11-28-2022, 12:55 PM

Received 236 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by sevenhead
Firstly, I believe the European GTR has been quoted as having 585 BHP v. 577 BHP in the US.
GT R power output rating from factory is the same universally, across the board, but attention must be paid to the differing Units of power: BHP vs HP vs PS vs kW

These different Units of power are then used in their appropriate market based on world location/accepted measurement standard.

Further adding to the confusion, is how different locations, EU vs US, etc measure fuel Octane

Last edited by MBNRG; 11-28-2022 at 12:59 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by MBNRG:
Acta_Non_Verba (11-28-2022), G. P (11-28-2022)
Old 11-28-2022, 01:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 959 Likes on 576 Posts
‘24 BMW iX M60
When the GTR was released didn’t Renntech(?) put the car on their dyno and state that the 577/585hp was under-rated from the factory, and they saw 604hp at the crank?
The following 2 users liked this post by thebishman:
G. P (11-28-2022), MBNRG (11-28-2022)
Old 11-28-2022, 02:19 PM

Received 236 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by thebishman
When the GTR was released didn’t Renntech(?) put the car on their dyno and state that the 577/585hp was under-rated from the factory, and they saw 604hp at the crank?
Yes, correct, there is also YouTube video with Lucas from EU Renntech endorsing the same.

MB typically under-rates in their press releases/marketing materials for many AMG models as you likely know

Last edited by MBNRG; 11-28-2022 at 02:26 PM.
Old 11-29-2022, 08:33 AM

Received 81 Likes on 44 Posts
2018 Mercedes-AMG GT R
Originally Posted by thebishman
Yes I read that as well. Didn't want to throw that into the pot too.
Old 11-29-2022, 06:07 PM

Received 124 Likes on 70 Posts
2015 Mercedes S550 Coupe
My AMG GTR was dyno tuned (stage 2)

we didnt get to test it before changing downpipes so my numbers with downpipes and no tune was 542 wheel hp and after tune 654 wheel hp and 682tq

seems like decent numbers?

Last edited by Y.Haider; 11-29-2022 at 07:01 PM.
Old 12-01-2022, 06:33 AM

AMG GTR
682bl/ft at the wheels?

Monster numbers