Sponsored by:

GTR Spacers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-16-2022, 01:38 PM

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
AMG GTR
GTR Spacers

Has anyone added spacers to their GTR? Does it effect the handling characteristics negatively?

Secondly - lowering the GTR - has anyone done this on the stock set up? Thoughts?

Any pics would be appreciated….
Old 12-19-2022, 04:59 AM

Received 50 Likes on 10 Posts
AMG GTR
Mine is on 12mm square, no problem at all.
Old 12-19-2022, 04:12 PM

Received 124 Likes on 70 Posts
2015 Mercedes S550 Coupe
Got spacers on rear, will be doing the front before summer starts
Old 12-19-2022, 11:54 PM

Received 443 Likes on 237 Posts
AMG GTR
Hi,

GTR front and rear 15mm. With black studs and aluminum locknuts.

Sell a set to Chuck. He made a good YouTube video about it. (with weights)

Best regards

Stenzel

Last edited by Stenzel-Germany; 12-20-2022 at 12:06 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Wasserott (12-21-2022)
Old 12-21-2022, 04:42 AM

Received 81 Likes on 44 Posts
2018 Mercedes-AMG GT R
So let me get this straight. You spend time, money and add 1.5 lbs of unsprung weight per corner to push the wheels out less than 5/8 of an inch. For vanity.
You sure you bought the right car? Sounds like owners of Hondas, WRX's and the like.
NYCSoiL (12-22-2022)
Old 12-21-2022, 05:21 PM

AMG GTR
Originally Posted by sevenhead
So let me get this straight. You spend time, money and add 1.5 lbs of unsprung weight per corner to push the wheels out less than 5/8 of an inch. For vanity.
You sure you bought the right car? Sounds like owners of Hondas, WRX's and the like.

Hi;

Yes I did.
For various reasons. Wanted wheel studs / nuts, always do this conversion on my cars. Wheel assembly is easier and so protects the ceramic brake discs.
Like the BBC BBS wheel nuts. They be art for me. :-) Also find that the wheels are much more consistent in the wheelhouse.
Likes little details like that. That's all.

@Sevenhead

Maybe i am wrong, what you derive from such a small technical change, is fascinating.
Your post sounds like criticism? Wrong car? You imply vanity?

If owners of Hondas WRX's like it too, why not?
It's really vain to put yourself above other people, just because of a vehicle.
By the way, I know great people who don't even have a car. :-) :-) :-)

Tolerance is the magic word. :-) :-) :-)

Best regards

Stenzel

Last edited by Stenzel-Germany; 12-23-2022 at 11:34 PM.
The following 7 users liked this post by Stenzel-Germany:
amgs63dxb (12-25-2022), AndrewFerg (12-26-2022), BasicGentlemen (01-28-2023), DarkknightgGTR (12-21-2022), flyt42 (05-08-2023), user33 (12-22-2022), Wasserott (12-21-2022) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-21-2022, 05:53 PM

AMG GTR
Originally Posted by Stenzel-Germany
Hi;

Yes I did.
For various reasons. Wanted wheel studs / nuts, always do this conversion on my cars. Wheel assembly is easier and so protects the ceramic brake discs.
Like the BBC wheel nuts. They be art for me. :-) Also find that the wheels are much more consistent in the wheelhouse.

@Sevenhead

Maybe i am wrong, what you derive from such a small technical change, is fascinating.

Best regards

Stenzel
do you have any pictures of your car with the spacers on? Do you get many stone chips?
Old 12-21-2022, 06:16 PM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
AMG GTR, GT350, Raptor, X6
Originally Posted by DarkknightgGTR
Has anyone added spacers to their GTR? Does it effect the handling characteristics negatively?

Secondly - lowering the GTR - has anyone done this on the stock set up? Thoughts?

Any pics would be appreciated….
My Video that Stenzel posted has plenty of pictures.

I've had them on for all of this year and haven't had any issues. Did some drag racing, roll-racing and drove her plenty and frankly forgot they were there. Got a flat after running over a nasty nail. When I had the tire fixed, I then remembered they were there. Very seamless experience.

Stenzel - you are one tolerant and thoughtful person in so many ways...I could learn a thing or two. I wanted to rip out at mr. sevenhead for his keyboard courage but you handled him nicely.

Merry Christmas!
flyt42 (05-08-2023)
Old 12-21-2022, 08:55 PM

Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts
2016 AMG GTS Edition 1
Really good video; thanks for sharing! would 15mm work on a 2016 GTS Edition 1 on stock wheels? or is this size spacer only recommended for the GTR?
Old 12-21-2022, 11:49 PM

Received 236 Likes on 158 Posts
. . .aluminum locknuts.

Always nice to have other options for convenience, thank you Stenzel

Curious though, regarding selection of Aluminum alloy for lug nut, which is a critical fastener.

My only concern is for ?potential safety/durability issues (especially during sustained high loads and elevated temps, on track, etc) :
Aluminum and its subsequent alloys typically have (significantly) lower modulus of elasticity than Steel, for any given load.
In addition, they also have higher coefficient of thermal expansion than Steel.

Anecdotal evidence via Wasserott et al suggests they are sufficient for typical road use and the occasional pull/drag race, but how well will they withstand more punishment during higher sustained loads/higher temps?
Any other data points from other users?

Porsche had used OEM Aluminum lug nuts in their earlier models (but i believe with lower tightening torque specs and lower engine hp/tq).

The GT lug nuts are also subject to relatively high tightening torque of 180 Nm (for GT x, per manual specs).

Last edited by MBNRG; 12-21-2022 at 11:53 PM.
Old 12-22-2022, 10:23 AM

AMG GTR
Hi,

The aluminum wheel nuts used are made for / by BBC BBS (a very well-known wheel manufacturer from Germany) and be offered for Porsche.
The fine thread is continuous and long. (approx. 2.5 x d) That is sufficient for aluminium. There are very tough aluminum alloys. Trust BBC BBS here.

About torque:

Find 180 Nm just too much. M14 x 1.5 wheel bolts are normally tightened to 130 Nm. I set the torque to 150Nm. (It's absolutely fine for me, but shouldn't be a general recommendation here)

But this decision has nothing to do with the aluminum wheel nuts. I also tested 180Nm on these. (Sell 3 sets) No problem.

Can understand your concerns. Especially in racing. I don't have these concerns.

If you prefer steel. My 1st set was easier. 90mm wheel studs, the steel sleeves removed from the stock wheel bolts. Wheel nuts from the MB Sprinter 4.5 ton.
These are black, flat collar nuts. Like it, but the BBC BBS nuts just so great.

Fun story: Why i "made" 4 sets.

I always do wheel studs with nuts on my cars.
First the "Sprinter" version. Then I found the BBC BBS lock nuts and black studs with stepped tips.

The BBC BBS nuts are normally a set of 4 porsche wheel locks. Ok. 5 sets ordered fot the required 20 pieces. Arrived. Very nice. Like it.
Then I had (little late) the thought, what if a nut is broken, scratched, or lost? Can you still get these? Ordered another set of 4 locknuts, as replacement parts.

That came quickly. However, I had to find out that it had a different coding. The first 5 sets were all the same. (Think that is normal)
After a nice conversation with a friendly lady, she informed me that this was pure coincidence, as the nut sets are supplied in different codings. Unsorted.
But with a little time, she could search the right codes for me. Great.

Send back? No this willingness to help, should be rewarded. So I ordered another 20 studs, 4 spacers, and 6 locknut sets with the desired codings.

Ordered at night and paid immediately. Unfortunately, the shipping department was too quick. (Order was here, payment was done, package goes quick out)
In itself, commendable, but they knew nothing about the agreement. Now I had 12 locknut sets in now 4 different codings. :-) :-)

After further discussions with the friendly lady, I ordered another 40 studs, 8 spacers and 12 locknut sets. This is, how you can generate sales. :-)

The coding then fitted through the personal commitment of "Erika". Expect a Christmas card.

Still turned the matching 96 slaves, and 4 sets were complete.

The 3 left over sets gone quickly. One became chuck.

The hourly wage was really bad, but win a new love. -> Erika .. :-) :-)

Kind regards.

Stenzel

Last edited by Stenzel-Germany; 12-27-2022 at 02:23 PM. Reason: BBS
Old 12-22-2022, 10:35 AM

AMG GTR
Originally Posted by lgarcia
Really good video; thanks for sharing! would 15mm work on a 2016 GTS Edition 1 on stock wheels? or is this size spacer only recommended for the GTR?
Hi,

Yes, 15mm fits all GT, GTS, GTC, GTR, GTBS, Front and Rear.

Also preferable for stability. There are already detailed threads about this.

Kind regards.

Stenzel
lgarcia (12-22-2022)
Old 12-23-2022, 07:46 PM

2018 Mercedes-AMG GT R
Hi,

The aluminum wheel nuts used are made for / by BBC (a very well-known wheel manufacturer from Germany) and be offered for Porsche.
The fine thread is continuous and long. (approx. 2.5 x d) That is sufficient for aluminium. There are very tough aluminum alloys. Trust BBC here.

About torque:

Find 180 Nm just too much. M14 x 1.5 wheel bolts are normally tightened to 130 Nm. I set the torque to 150Nm. (It's absolutely fine for me, but shouldn't be a general recommendation here)

But this decision has nothing to do with the aluminum wheel nuts. I also tested 180Nm on these. (Sell 3 sets) No problem.

Can understand your concerns. Especially in racing. I don't have these concerns.

If you prefer steel. My 1st set was easier. 90mm wheel studs, the steel sleeves removed from the stock wheel bolts. Wheel nuts from the MB Sprinter 4.5 ton.
These are black, flat collar nuts. Like it, but the BBC nuts just so great.

Fun story: Why i "made" 4 sets.

I always do wheel studs with nuts on my cars.
First the "Sprinter" version. Then I found the BBC lock nuts and black studs with stepped tips.

The BBC nuts are normally a set of 4 porsche wheel locks. Ok. 5 sets ordered fot the required 20 pieces. Arrived. Very nice. Like it.
Then I had (little late) the thought, what if a nut is broken, scratched, or lost? Can you still get these? Ordered another set of 4 locknuts, as replacement parts.

That came quickly. However, I had to find out that it had a different coding. The first 5 sets were all the same. (Think that is normal)
After a nice conversation with a friendly lady, she informed me that this was pure coincidence, as the nut sets are supplied in different codings. Unsorted.
But with a little time, she could search the right codes for me. Great.

Send back? No this willingness to help, should be rewarded. So I ordered another 20 studs, 4 spacers, and 6 locknut sets with the desired codings.

Ordered at night and paid immediately. Unfortunately, the shipping department was too quick. (Order was here, payment was done, package goes quick out)
In itself, commendable, but they knew nothing about the agreement. Now I had 12 locknut sets in now 4 different codings. :-) :-)

After further discussions with the friendly lady, I ordered another 40 studs, 8 spacers and 12 locknut sets. This is, how you can generate sales. :-)

The coding then fitted through the personal commitment of "Erika". Expect a Christmas card.

Still turned the matching 96 slaves, and 4 sets were complete.

The 3 left over sets gone quickly. One became chuck.

The hourly wage was really bad, but win a new love. -> Erika .. :-) :-)

Kind regards.

Stenzel
I believe the name of the wheel company is BBS. And they are very well regarded especially in the racing world, probably second only to O.Z.
Old 12-23-2022, 11:30 PM

AMG GTR
Hi,

Absolutely correct. Of course, the correct abbreviation is "BBS".
Sorry, was probably too late.

Thanks.

Best regards

Stenzel
Old 12-24-2022, 01:59 AM

2018 Mercedes-AMG GT R
Hi,

Absolutely correct. Of course, the correct abbreviation is "BBS".
Sorry, was probably too late.

Thanks.

Best regards

Stenzel
Occasionally I get things right.
Apologies for my earlier comments re: use of spacers. I respect your insights in technical matters.

Frohe Weihnachten! (Google translate)
​​​​​
The following 2 users liked this post by sevenhead:
Stenzel-Germany (12-24-2022), Wasserott (12-24-2022)
Old 12-24-2022, 10:18 PM

AMG GTR
Hi Sevenhead,

You hadn't done anything wrong. It is your opinion.
Just maybe some "pejorative" words chosen.

The only bad thing would be if a difference of opinion escalated.
Which should never happen.

Your "weight objection" about the spacers is also correct. But you have a larger track width.
Is it better? No idea. In any case, it looks better to me. :-) :-)

Merry Christmas

​​​​​​​Best regards

Stenzel
Old 12-24-2022, 10:25 PM

AMG GTR
Hi,

Got a few requests via PM if I can supply these set.

Sign up here if you are seriously interested. If there is enough interest, I will look at the current conditions.

I can buy studs, nuts and spacers. I have to drill out the nuts (taped studs). Manufacture the sleeves on the lathe.

For Sevenhead: If you don't want spacers, just shorter studs, sleeves and nuts. :-) :-)

I do things like that in my spare time and I'm not a mail order company.
So it will take a longer time. It will be expensive for that. :-):-):-)

Best regards

Stenzel
Old 12-25-2022, 04:13 AM

AMG GTR
Hi,

Got a few requests via PM if I can supply these set.

Sign up here if you are seriously interested. If there is enough interest, I will look at the current conditions.

I can buy studs, nuts and spacers. I have to drill out the nuts (taped studs). Manufacture the sleeves on the lathe.

For Sevenhead: If you don't want spacers, just shorter studs, sleeves and nuts. :-) :-)

I do things like that in my spare time and I'm not a mail order company.
So it will take a longer time. It will be expensive for that. :-):-):-)

Best regards

Stenzel
have you lowered the car too? My experience from other cars (Porsche and BMW M cars) is that adding spacers generally only looks good if the arch gap is reduced (my opinion obviously not fact).

the GTR stance is great stock but I feel I would need to lower it 10 or 20mm to reduce the arch gap?

have you done this?
Old 12-25-2022, 10:11 AM

AMG GTR
Hi,

I only screwed down to the existing stops.

Were effective somewhere between 5 to max. 10mm. Perfect for me.
Attach pictures. (haven't got any better)

Best regards

Stenzel

Old 12-25-2022, 11:01 AM

AMG GTR
Hi,

I only screwed down to the existing stops.

Were effective somewhere between 5 to max. 10mm. Perfect for me.
Attach pictures. (haven't got any better)

Best regards

Stenzel

that does look good!

Ok so i want to do the same (maybe just using Normal bolts) - H&R 15mm hub centric spacers, 90mm black bolts? Or is there a better brand?

How do you lower the car? Do you need to take off the wheel (assume so)?
Old 12-25-2022, 08:36 PM

AMG GTR
Hi,

Of course you have to take the wheels off. :-)

You also need the appropriate "hook wrenches"

I have these in my shop equipment:

Not 90mm bolts. If you want normal wheel bolts instead of studs and nuts (with stock rims):

Bolt:
Head: "Kugelkopf" ballcollar? radius: R14mm)
Thread:M14 x 1.5
Length: 27mm (stock) + 15mm (spacer) = min. 42mm - max. 45mm

General wheel bolt infos:

Tread be measured from thread end to ball collar.

Minimum screw-in depth:
M14 x 1.5 = 7.5 turns (All GT)
M12 x 1.5 = 6.5 turns

Spacers:
High: 15mm
Bold circle: 5 x 112mm
Centering: 66,6 mm

H&R works. (and all other brands)
Recommend SCC, these are more stable in the centering than the H&R. (Own experience)

Best regards

Stenzel

Last edited by Stenzel-Germany; 12-25-2022 at 08:48 PM.
Old 12-26-2022, 09:43 AM

Received 124 Likes on 70 Posts
2015 Mercedes S550 Coupe
I ordered titanium lugs for my GTR when i added spacers, they were much lighter than the oem lugs.

This is the first time i have heard about aluminum lugs.. whats lighter?

titanium lugs are from acer racing.. pretty good quality
Stenzel-Germany (12-26-2022)
Old 12-26-2022, 11:25 AM

AMG GTR
Hi, Of course you have to take the wheels off. :-) You also need the appropriate "hook wrenches" I have these in my shop equipment:  Not 90mm bolts. If you want normal wheel bolts instead of studs and nuts (with stock rims): Bolt:Head: "Kugelkopf" ballcollar? radius: R14mm)Thread:M14 x 1.5Length: 27mm (stock) + 15mm (spacer) = min. 42mm - max. 45mm General wheel bolt infos: Tread be measured from thread end to ball collar. Minimum screw-in depth:M14 x 1.5 = 7.5 turns (All GT)M12 x 1.5 = 6.5 turns Spacers:High: 15mmBold circle: 5 x 112mmCentering: 66,6 mm H&R works. (and all other brands)Recommend SCC, these are more stable in the centering than the H&R. (Own experience) Best regards Stenzel
​​​​​​​thanks for this. Knowledge of all as usual

Did you not get concerned about the change to suspension geometry and scrub radius etc? Additional stresses etc?

Or is 15mm too small a change to make a difference?

Regards
​​​​​​​Kem
Old 12-26-2022, 12:52 PM

Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts
AMG GT C Edition 50
Hi;

Yes I did.
Like the BBC BBS wheel nuts. They be art for me. :-) Also find that the wheels are much more consistent in the wheelhouse.

@Sevenhead

Best regards

Stenzel
Haha. Love it, Stenzel. Imagine a world where people judge negatively anyone / everyone who has different opinions and perspectives. Oh, wait, that is this world Oh, well. At least we also have tolerant, logical, and kind people in balance who add more than they take away. I think it's clear who had the wrong car if not the wrong forum. :o)
Old 12-26-2022, 01:28 PM

AMG GTR
Hi,

Titan. Like it.

You should have seen this:

Cracy

Best regards

Stenzel

Last edited by Stenzel-Germany; 12-27-2022 at 12:35 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GTR Spacers