Sponsored by:

Another carplay retrofit (roadtop) on 2016 GT-S - wirleless

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-12-2023, 04:29 AM

Received 106 Likes on 73 Posts
W222, W221, W218, W211
Cool Another carplay retrofit (roadtop) on 2016 GT-S - wirleless

I was promising myself that I would keep it stock.
That of course did not work and first hard curve convinced me that there is no place to keep the phone in this car. At least not in a way that you could still follow maps... Cup holders - too deep - the phone keeps flying left to right, I constantly need to figure out where to turn... ehh... carplay box then.

I did many retrofits on my past cars with this device (this will be seventh), after a failure which was the "full" android touch screen in W221 long time ago... Never again aftermarket displays with touch screen. The box works immediately and does not have to be customized in any way - just turn on and go. Unless you like tinkering with custom Android ROMs, go with solution like that if you want to have error-free experience and OE look.

Installation of that thing is a pure pleasure, in comparison to W222 or W205 to be honest. The center console is held in place by 2 screws, accessible from within the armrest (hidden under a small flap). There is also a LOT of room to store the unit under the center console (mine is literally below the control knob). I was really surprised to see how roomy this center tunnel is. Again - in comparison with C class, that does not have any room at all there OR W222, which (if you have a secondary AC unit there) is a half day job to get to the console in the first place...

The device usually comes with additional interface allowing you to pasthru aux via USB or MMI port, but this is completely irrelevant if you have the AUX enabled on the car (the comand plug contains the right pins so you can wire the box directly into the 3.5mm jack already provided in the bypass/bridge harness). The only thing is - you need to activate AUX if not already activated. Otherwise you are stuck with USB DAC, which creates another place for D/A A/D conversion, meaning: audit quality losses and potential "hissing" sound... The box has option to "code in" AUX, but I never actually managed to see if this works. I somehow always got it coded before installation using DTS.

I'll let you know later how stable this thing is, but for now I am expecting no issues. With Android Auto mode it was a hit-or-miss (OnePlus worked flawlessly in AA mode until Android 11 was released and AA became part of the OS, then I fell back to cable connection as WiFi was always cutting; Pixel 6 works wirelessly without *any* issues, Samsung S21 - also depending on software level, but it's been having issues with AA for a long time - even wired one - and Samsung did not hurry to fix it).

This is my first attempt to use IOS Carplay, so I am still not that aware of what works how and how better is it from AA... So far the pairing process was much smoother than AA - just turn on and wait couple of minutes for prompts to happen - done. Screen on. Music is playing... And the quality of UI seems much better than on AA. Even google maps looks better on IOS - animations when you select the destination and press "directions" are just lovely - not available on their native OS - shame!

If you are looking for something like that - it's approx ~ $250 shipped (depending on VAT/customs where you live). Key word for aliexpress is "roadtop". They have two types of devices - silver and black one. I always use the black one (the silver one comes with external mic and does not have the correct resolution for 8.4" displays on W205 or GT-S in this case).

To make this solution perfect, they would need to master two more things:
- overlay of temperature/Aircon displays when in carplay/AA mode (currently you don't see that on this display, need to switch "back" to OE display to adjust temperature and fan settings)
- make a mode where FM radio would work with navigation prompts (you get the audio via AUX, so today it's either/or - some people actually install a secondary speaker to have google alerts vocalized during FM session, but this won't allow you to use spotify anymore on main speakers since there is no more aux passthru here in this scenario and you are stuck with FM or CD - bluetooth audio is blocked by your phone is in Carplay mode)

None of the above bother me, because I keep temperature on Auto and never listen to FM radio, that's why I keep coming back to this solution...

If you need help - let me know, I might be able to support. Installed these already on 3x W218s, 2x W205s, 1x W222s and now -> C190.
The following 2 users liked this post by amgs63dxb:
lgarcia (01-12-2023), UCIMBZ (01-12-2023)
Old 01-12-2023, 08:25 AM

Received 216 Likes on 135 Posts
E55, 380SL, GLA 250 Sport, AMG GTS
Awesome!! You should have done a Youtube video.
Old 01-12-2023, 10:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2018 BMW 740Li | 2019 Golf R Mk7.5
Nice job.

Currently in U.A.E there are few garages doing full original retrofit of the facelift infotainment screen with full carplay functionality + digital dashboard cluster in older GT models and several other MB models. However their their prices are very high.
Old 01-12-2023, 10:36 AM

Received 106 Likes on 73 Posts
W222, W221, W218, W211
Yes, I heard it's approx $8k to get the full mbux+steering wheel conversion done (heard, not confirmed), @cryptoauto.ae (insta). I was considering it myself, but - it's not going to be period correct anymore. I like this vintage pre-MBUX look and feel - it's painfully consistent with my C43 too... Here I flip the switch and the car comes back to OE look and feel...

EDIT - it's "full" carplay, but as per MB specification, so wired (no wireless) only... bummer.
Old 01-12-2023, 12:57 PM

Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts
2016 AMG GTS Edition 1
Hey amgs63dxb - That is a nice clean install and a really good solution to adding CarPlay, great job!!
Old 01-12-2023, 01:31 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,246 Likes on 2,021 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by amgs63dxb
Yes, I heard it's approx $8k to get the full mbux+steering wheel conversion done (heard, not confirmed), @cryptoauto.ae (insta). I was considering it myself, but - it's not going to be period correct anymore. I like this vintage pre-MBUX look and feel - it's painfully consistent with my C43 too... Here I flip the switch and the car comes back to OE look and feel...

EDIT - it's "full" carplay, but as per MB specification, so wired (no wireless) only... bummer.
We got the roadmap module via Amazon and it works well enough. We use wireless CarPlay though, not wired and the biggest issue we encountered is which iPhone it connects to if driver/passenger have a paired iPhone. Also, if the person with the connected iPhone exits the car, the other iPhone doesn't always become the primary...

Last edited by Wolfman; 01-13-2023 at 12:22 PM.
Old 01-12-2023, 03:06 PM

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
AMG GTR
Looks like a cool solution - well done

My experience with the latest android 10.25inch unit has been excellent. Wireless AA and Apple CarPlay, works flawlessly and all the OEM features work as before. Not sure of the price comparison but for me this was a no brainier..
Old 01-12-2023, 04:13 PM

Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts
2016 AMG GTS Edition 1
Same here DarkknightgGTR, I went with the 10.25 inch unit also and I have enjoyed having it! I use CarPlay and have had no issues.
I am glad we have some good options out there to add some newer tech.