AMG GTC Roadster Passenger Side Water Ingress

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-06-2023, 06:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster
AMG GTC Roadster Passenger Side Water Ingress

Hi All,

I'm from the UK and I bought a very low mileage GTC Roadster 8 months ago (now 9000 miles) and it's been a wonderful car to own with zero problems... until this weekend. For some reason, the passenger side carpet is soaked (but not swimming) and I was looking to diagnose. My thinking is that it's either:
  1. Water ingress from a pressure washer when I got the car cleaned. This isn't something that's been a problem before, but I understand that just the wrong angle could cause a problem.
    • Has anyone else had this issue and know where this may have come in from?
  2. Water ingress via a blocked drainage hole.
    • Does anyone know where the drain holes are in the front of the car that might lead to overflow into the footwell? Any pictures would also be welcome.
  3. The worst scenario is that it's an issue with the AC/Heater unit. At the moment there are no water tide marks (I've seen white tide marks in other cars when the AC/heater unit has been the issue).
    • Are there any known issues with the AC/Heater circuits that might cause this issue in the GTC?
I would really appreciate any help on this issue. I have seen posts on water ingress to the boot/trunk, but nothing in the front.

Many thanks in advance
Old 02-06-2023, 06:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 358 Likes on 204 Posts
2022 AMG SL63
Originally Posted by sxemf
Hi All,

I'm from the UK and I bought a very low mileage GTC Roadster 8 months ago (now 9000 miles) and it's been a wonderful car to own with zero problems... until this weekend. For some reason, the passenger side carpet is soaked (but not swimming) and I was looking to diagnose. My thinking is that it's either:
  1. Water ingress from a pressure washer when I got the car cleaned. This isn't something that's been a problem before, but I understand that just the wrong angle could cause a problem.
    • Has anyone else had this issue and know where this may have come in from?
  2. Water ingress via a blocked drainage hole.
    • Does anyone know where the drain holes are in the front of the car that might lead to overflow into the footwell? Any pictures would also be welcome.
  3. The worst scenario is that it's an issue with the AC/Heater unit. At the moment there are no water tide marks (I've seen white tide marks in other cars when the AC/heater unit has been the issue).
    • Are there any known issues with the AC/Heater circuits that might cause this issue in the GTC?
I would really appreciate any help on this issue. I have seen posts on water ingress to the boot/trunk, but nothing in the front.

Many thanks in advance
My first guess is that it is the pressure washer. Iif I remember correctly, sometimes the drain line for the A/C can get plugged up. Both are worth looking into.
Old 02-07-2023, 03:16 AM

AMG GTC Roadster
Thanks for your reply. Do you know where to look for the drain line for A/C?
Old 02-07-2023, 12:29 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,267 Likes on 2,032 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Here are a couple of related threads. Hopefully this helps. I have seen a few threads from the UK. Good Luck!

https://mbworld.org/forums/coupe-roa...iss-furia.html
https://mbworld.org/forums/coupe-roadster/792046-warning-all-convertible-owners.html

https://mbworld.org/forums/coupe-roa...ml#post7950617

Last edited by Wolfman; 02-07-2023 at 12:34 PM.
Old 02-08-2023, 04:08 AM

AMG GTC Roadster
Thank you. I did read these, but they all seem to relate to drain holes at the rear of the car. I'm looking for the front drain holes or A/C drain. The car will be going in for a B1 service soon and whilst it doesn't state on the service docs that the drain holes should be checked, I'll ask them to take a look.