Sponsored by:

GTS or GTC

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-24-2023, 08:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2018 AMG GTS
GTS or GTC

I’ve got a decision to make. I’m in the market for my first AMG. I’ve owned lots of sports cars, Viper, F-Type, 911’s, etc, but have always wanted an AMG GT since they came out. I have the option of buying a very high option 2018 GTS with the dynamic plus package and I love the color scheme and spec. For $2500 more, I can also own a GTC. Both have 12k miles, one owner, and are super clean. The GTS has an overall better spec and I like the color combo, but the GTC seems to be a relative steal for the price. I like the wide body, the extra power, and the most likely better resale value. Am I stupid for liking the GTS more just because of the color and build? Is the GTC a far smarter purchase for basically the same price?
Old 02-25-2023, 03:16 AM

Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts
AMG GT C Edition 50
Originally Posted by pharmer81
I’ve got a decision to make. I’m in the market for my first AMG. I’ve owned lots of sports cars, Viper, F-Type, 911’s, etc, but have always wanted an AMG GT since they came out. I have the option of buying a very high option 2018 GTS with the dynamic plus package and I love the color scheme and spec. For $2500 more, I can also own a GTC. Both have 12k miles, one owner, and are super clean. The GTS has an overall better spec and I like the color combo, but the GTC seems to be a relative steal for the price. I like the wide body, the extra power, and the most likely better resale value. Am I stupid for liking the GTS more just because of the color and build? Is the GTC a far smarter purchase for basically the same price?
Everyone probably needs more details. From my perspective, the power of the GTC and the revised bodywork / rear wheel steering, etc. is mandatory. I wouldn't own a GTS if I could afford a GTC. But I wouldn't buy that GTC if I didn't like the colors and options either.
The following 3 users liked this post by AndrewFerg:
perasmu01 (02-25-2023), reignz (02-25-2023), Stenzel-Germany (02-25-2023)
Old 02-25-2023, 09:31 AM

2018 AMG GTS
Originally Posted by AndrewFerg
Everyone probably needs more details. From my perspective, the power of the GTC and the revised bodywork / rear wheel steering, etc. is mandatory. I wouldn't own a GTS if I could afford a GTC. But I wouldn't buy that GTC if I didn't like the colors and options either.
The GTS had a $153k MSRP. It’s a satin silver color with red-black interior and appears to be fully loaded. AMG Dynamic Plus Package
Lane Tracking Package
Exclusive Interior Package
AMG Illuminated Door Sill Panel
AMG Exterior Night Styling
Summer Tires
AMG Carbon Fiber Trim
Exclusive Interior Trim
19/20 forged cross spoke wheels
Black Dynamica headliner
Carbon crossbar
Panorama Roof

I’m waiting for the actual build sheet on the GTC, but it’s black on black with chrome/silver accents, silver wheels, doesn’t have all the carbon interior bits, etc. It appears to be a lower optioned GTC vs a very high option GTS. My gut is telling me the GTC is a smarter purchase, but I’m in love with the aesthetic of the GTS.

Old 02-25-2023, 10:15 AM

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
AMG GTs & w204 C63
I’ve driven both and this is my 2cents. (I daily and own a GTS).

If I had to sum it up in a simple and quick comparison I would put it this way:

Mechanically they’re pretty much same car besides the rear wheel steering and that’s where the biggest and most important difference is, for me personally.

I think the GTS is the “real” street beast the AMG used to be, like the w204 C63. The GTC’s/R’s rear wheel steering takes that “raw AMG” aspect away and focuses more on precision and faster attainability of a required manœuvre.

For the interior/exterior looks well that’s a question of your personal taste and you shouldn’t be affected by someone’s opinion based on their preference.

Hope this helps

The following 2 users liked this post by Why Vegas:
manuelsm (02-28-2023), priceaction (02-27-2023)
Old 02-25-2023, 10:31 AM

2018 AMG GTS
Originally Posted by Why Vegas
I’ve driven both and this is my 2cents. (I daily and own a GTS).

If I had to sum it up in a simple and quick comparison I would put it this way:

Mechanically they’re pretty much same car besides the rear wheel steering and that’s where the biggest and most important difference is, for me personally.

I think the GTS is the “real” street beast the AMG used to be, like the w204 C63. The GTC’s/R’s rear wheel steering takes that “raw AMG” aspect away and focuses more on precision and faster attainability of a required manœuvre.

For the interior/exterior looks well that’s a question of your personal taste and you shouldn’t be affected by someone’s opinion based on their preference.

Hope this helps
Thanks for the perspective. I trade cars every year or two, so I guess I’m also wondering which one is a smarter buy from the perspective of residual value.
Old 02-25-2023, 11:20 AM

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
AMG GTs & w204 C63
Originally Posted by pharmer81
Thanks for the perspective. I trade cars every year or two, so I guess I’m also wondering which one is a smarter buy from the perspective of residual value.
in that case the GTC should be your pick.
Old 02-25-2023, 08:34 PM

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
AMG GTS, Mercedes 6.9, 190SL
From what you've listed the GTC would be the very easy choice for me. You can tune either engine, but the way I understand it the GTC has more forged parts and lower compression so it's theoretically safer to tune. I've heard the GTC has a softer suspension when in the softest settings (these cars are pretty stiff, especially the seat). Just those features would be enough for me to pick the GTC as long as the color was tolerable. But I also somewhat prefer black sports cars with silver (not chrome) wheels. But what makes it no contest for me is the wide body.
Old 02-25-2023, 10:32 PM

Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts
2016 AMG GTS —- 2018 GT C Roadster
I’ve owned both and I would pick the GTC. Higher horsepower, great looks of the wider rear end, and rear steering all led me to the GTC
The following 2 users liked this post by perasmu01:
AndrewFerg (02-27-2023), vdm9 (02-26-2023)
Old 02-26-2023, 06:41 PM

Received 24 Likes on 4 Posts
2018 AMG GTC Edition 50
GTC coupe / thread
Old 02-27-2023, 01:05 PM

Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts
AMG GT C Edition 50
Here are some quotes from a previous thread. I find it pretty typical that the folks who have chosen a GTS all think it's a brilliant decision. The people who are driving a GTC or GTR will tell you to get the GTC. Every thread I've read where somebody has owned a GTS and a GTC all say get the GTC.

Here are two revealing quotes:
The GTC also features AMG’s performance exhaust system and dynamic engine mounts, as well as increased front-wheel negative camber. Compared with its lesser brethren, the GTC has wider wheels, and its rear fenders are widened by 2.2 inches. There’s also a “sport” suspension, four-wheel steering, adaptive dampers, and larger front brakes. As with the roadster, the coupe wears staggered-width rubber: 265/35R-19 front and 305/30R-20 in back. An additional, more aggressive Race mode and revised gearing for the seven-speed dual-clutch transmission round out the mechanical highlights for the GT C coupe.”

And: "...the GTR AND GTC are very similar performance wise while the GTS is a significant step down (and the MSRP and resale values reflects that)
GTS has smaller turbosGTC and GTR has standard dynamic engine mountsGTC and GTR increased front wheel camberGTC and GTR have the same wider rear fenders (2.2 inches); making them some of the widest cars on the roadGTC and GTR have 4 wheel steeringGTC and GTR have wider wheels (front and back)GTC and GTR have more aggressive gear ratios than the GTS
Life is short. You can't take it with you. If you can afford either car, get the one that speaks to you most at the emotional level. The depreciation difference is impossible to know right now. There are just too many variables in that calculation.
The following 2 users liked this post by AndrewFerg:
G. P (02-27-2023), gwng8 (08-23-2023)