Track day photos and (request for) upgrade advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-28-2023, 02:38 AM

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
2020 AMG GTR
Track day photos and (request for) upgrade advice

First time at Buttonwillow, posted a modest 2:04.45 BL time on reasonably worn cup 2s. Partly posting because I had a blast and partly posting because I'm hoping to get some advice on some track upgrades to consider once I get a bit better; I expect to track semi-regularly (once a month). My current upgrade list includes swapping the CCB for racing steel brakes and swapping out the OEM brake fluid for some racing fluid. I definitely boiled my brake fluid by noon and had mushy brakes the remainder of the session, forcing me to cut it a couple hours short. Other than that, I'm not sure what else I'd change, nor do I know if I really need to. Any input welcome!

Not a Mercedes but thought you might still appreciate. Unfortunately, the Senna broke down before it could complete a full lap.
The following 3 users liked this post by shaladdin:
crconsulting (03-01-2023), Orcbolg (02-28-2023), reignz (03-02-2023)
Old 02-28-2023, 07:55 AM

Received 208 Likes on 121 Posts
Winnebago, Yugo
Even if your tires are a bit worn but not heat cycled out, they should be fine. Road duty alone would not get your tires up to the temps to heat cycle them.
It is usually the number of heat cycles that kill the tires before they are worn out.
Really only other things your should do are the brake ducts and a good track alignment.
After than, IMO, a roll bar, race seat and harness. It is a big step up but once you are properly secured in, you become so connected with the car! I dropped 1.5 seconds with this alone.
The following 2 users liked this post by canucklehead:
sevenhead (02-28-2023), shaladdin (02-28-2023)
Old 02-28-2023, 09:59 AM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
AMG GTR, GT350, Raptor, X6
It's an expensive and addictive habit! If I was to take my GTR out, I would do the same as you, save the CCB and run on the iron rotors, swap fluids out and get those brake ducts canukhead referenced. I'd also consider a second set of wheels/tires. Hard to beat the forged OEM wheels for strength and weight so i'd look for another set of those. I'd also take a look at the new Continental ExtremeContactForce 200TW tires.

Trackdaytire has a current special buy three, get 4th free. And John Miller is just an awesome guy to meet - Ex Trans Am driver and great car guy. I'm not affiliated with him at all, met him seeking a set of tires myself for different car.

https://trackdaytire.com/continentalpreorder/
The following users liked this post:
shaladdin (02-28-2023)
Old 02-28-2023, 01:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 966 Likes on 581 Posts
‘24 BMW iX M60
Track alignment
High quality DOT 4 brake fluid; (Castrol SRF; Endless 650; AP Racing hi-end fluid, etc)
Only use top quality iron rotors to replace the CCMs such as Giro Disc; AP Racing, etc. (Hopefully they are made in the correct sizing to replace the CCMs which are bigger discs than the OEM iron brakes btw)
Tikt Brake ducts front and rear. These are pricy but worth every penny, plus you’ll get most of your money back when you take them off the car when it’s time to trade.

A second set of track wheels, fully Forged along with top of the line tyres. Smaller diameter wheels will markedly increase the number/types of tyres you can use, but at first you can start with a set of the Michelin Cup 2 ZP tyres on your OEM wheels as found on the C7 Corvette Z07 as its OEM tyre. Can easily be driven to/from the track unless the weather sucks, and are a much faster tyre on a road course.

Strongly consider track insurance unless you are wealthy enough to walk away from a totaled car. This is very rare but can occur. I strongly recommend Steve at ‘Open Track.

Have fun
Old 02-28-2023, 02:36 PM

2020 AMG GTR
Thanks for the info! Sounds like there's a common theme to get some brake ducts- will do! Definitely looking into a second set of tires; honestly, probably something less high performance than the Cup 2s. They afford me going much faster than I probably should and give little margin to correct once they do lose grip. I kind of like the squeal of more street oriented tires so I can at least tell when I'm approaching grip limit. Funny you mention track insurance because there was a nasty front end into the pit walls that day from a driver that (presumably) sent it too hard and lost control.

Last edited by shaladdin; 03-02-2023 at 03:21 AM.
Old 03-01-2023, 06:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 966 Likes on 581 Posts
‘24 BMW iX M60
^ Ouch!! Expensive lesson that.

Another ‘item’ to think about if you start to track often is paying for a personal coach. Best money you’ll spend if you want to accelerate the learning process!
Old 03-02-2023, 01:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 127 Likes on 76 Posts
AMG GTBS, AMG GTR Pro, AMG GT, C63 AMG, Porsche Panamera 4S, RX-7 FC Turbo II
Originally Posted by shaladdin
Thanks for the info! Sounds like there's a common theme to get some brake ducts- will do! Definitely looking into a second set of tires; honestly, probably something less high performance than the Cup 2s. They afford me going much faster than I probably should and give little margin to correct once they do lose grip. I kind of like the squeal of more street oriented tires so I can at least tell when I'm approaching grip limit. Funny you mention track insurance because....

Happened as he was leaving the pits. From what I heard, he floored it and lost control into the wall….!
Track Etiquette- For several reasons, there is an unwritten rule that track guys do not post pictures of other track guys’ misfortune.
The following 2 users liked this post by Case1906:
LAsunset (03-04-2023), thebishman (03-02-2023)
Old 03-02-2023, 03:05 AM

2020 AMG GTR
Originally Posted by Case1906
Track Etiquette- For several reasons, there is an unwritten rule that track guys do not post pictures of other track guys’ misfortune.
Oh- that's my bad. Never again

I did go off a couple times, maybe etiquette is why I couldn't find any of those photos even though I'm certain the photographer caught them.
The following users liked this post:
Case1906 (03-08-2023)