Coupe/Roadster
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the GT-R a solid dedicated track car or should I stick to a GT3?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-15-2023, 06:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 700 Likes on 533 Posts
R Nine T
Originally Posted by trackcar
What suspension parts do you recommend for a solid track setup? All? Bilsteins+Steering bump enough?
All of it.

Rear end needs stability like black series.
Old 03-16-2023, 12:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 959 Likes on 576 Posts
‘24 BMW iX M60
Peter: I would consider running the car with the alignment and brake cooling; pad; fluid changes and a set of dedicated track wheels/tyres as a first step. I know you are an experienced road course driver, so you’ll be able to see how the car ‘feels’ for you, before spending large amounts of money on aftermarket suspension components. Getting the right alignment and then stickier tyres helps tremendously with the internet understeer that the GTR comes with from the factory, and tbh I thought the rear end to be very well ‘planted’. Granted, you need to be careful at track out in the tighter corners, but the car does have a lot of torque so the right foot can’t behave like an on/off switch.

I wish the ‘Pros’ were not so pricey as one of them might make an even better choice for you IMHO.
Old 03-16-2023, 07:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 700 Likes on 533 Posts
R Nine T
The pros have the rear ball joints that tikt sells. I don’t want throttle to be an “on/off” switch. Rear has to be flat and stable to point this long nose…
Old 03-16-2023, 07:24 PM

Received 144 Likes on 75 Posts
AMG GT-S, AMG C43, GLK350, Nissan GT-R, 718 Cayman
Originally Posted by thebishman
Peter: I would consider running the car with the alignment and brake cooling; pad; fluid changes and a set of dedicated track wheels/tyres as a first step. I know you are an experienced road course driver, so you’ll be able to see how the car ‘feels’ for you, before spending large amounts of money on aftermarket suspension components. Getting the right alignment and then stickier tyres helps tremendously with the internet understeer that the GTR comes with from the factory, and tbh I thought the rear end to be very well ‘planted’. Granted, you need to be careful at track out in the tighter corners, but the car does have a lot of torque so the right foot can’t behave like an on/off switch.

I wish the ‘Pros’ were not so pricey as one of them might make an even better choice for you IMHO.
Bish,

Internet Understeer. Now that's hard to cure, lol. Grippier front pads on your mouse perhaps. That setup might lead you to the wrong sites. Be careful.

Claude
The following 2 users liked this post by descartesfool:
sevenhead (03-17-2023), thebishman (03-17-2023)
Old 03-16-2023, 07:28 PM

Received 144 Likes on 75 Posts
AMG GT-S, AMG C43, GLK350, Nissan GT-R, 718 Cayman
dup
Old 03-17-2023, 12:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 959 Likes on 576 Posts
‘24 BMW iX M60
Originally Posted by descartesfool
Bish,

Internet Understeer. Now that's hard to cure, lol. Grippier front pads on your mouse perhaps. That setup might lead you to the wrong sites. Be careful.

Claude

Damn 'Autofill'!! lol

I of course meant to type 'Inherent Understeer'!

Thanks for pointing it out!

Bish
The following users liked this post:
sevenhead (03-18-2023)
Old 04-04-2023, 08:29 PM

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts
Fast and Really Fast Sports Cars
This thread got me thinking of taking the girls out again on a recent track day.

Wasn't that surprised the GT R received more curiosity and praise from fellow track folks than the GT3. It's still rather rare to see one at the track I reckon.

Brakes on the GT R held up quite well this time though I wonder if the cooler weather helped. Didn't have to bleed much tire psi either. Bishman's comment on "internet" understeer did resonate with me during a long sweeper with a late apex. The GT3 had none of that during the same stretch. The GT R does have a bit more body roll through some corners compared to the GT3 but I sense it as being intentionally playful from the team at Affalterbach.

My previous comments regarding the two still stand for as-is from factory. And I will add this. If I were to compete in time trials, I will take the GT3. If I want to have fun with a voluptuous growl under the hood, it will the GT R.

The following 2 users liked this post by LAsunset:
AMG 17GT (04-05-2023), thebishman (04-05-2023)
Old 04-04-2023, 10:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
911 Turbo S
Originally Posted by LAsunset
If I want to have fun with a voluptuous growl under the hood, it will the GT R.
Nice pair! And yes, that is exactly my thinking; GTR is more fun. However, can you put a track seat on the GTR with a 5-pt harness? To me that is an important requirement and there doesnt seem to be an easy way to do it.
Old 04-05-2023, 11:33 AM

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
2020 AMG GTR
@LAsunset , is that at Buttonwillow? I was just there this past weekend and I've been struggling to break the 2:00 mark. Is just can't seem to get the last sweeper down and end up late on the gas (first burr of esses).

I echo your comment about rarity too. I've yet to see another GT R on the track. Ironically, mclarens and lambos have been more common.
Old 04-05-2023, 06:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
911 Turbo S
ON a related note, have any of you installed 4-pt harness with stock seats?
Old 04-05-2023, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by trackcar
Nice pair! And yes, that is exactly my thinking; GTR is more fun. However, can you put a track seat on the GTR with a 5-pt harness? To me that is an important requirement and there doesnt seem to be an easy way to do it.
Track seat as in bucket? I saw your other thread. I echoed @thebishman last comment as well. Market is bit small. I have installed recaros, momos and sparcos in other marquees. Haven't quite investigated what's feasible in our cars yet. I presume custom seat mounts, upright brackets etc and you migh have to remove the right a pillar trim to accommodate the bucket shoulder support. I have used https://machtschnell.com/catalog/pro...ck-and-racing/ but they fab for BMWs. Maybe they can do one-off custom. Also if you're doing 5pt might as well go for 6pt imo. Use HANS too. Not a fan of 4pt.

Originally Posted by shaladdin
@LAsunset , is that at Buttonwillow? I was just there this past weekend and I've been struggling to break the 2:00 mark. Is just can't seem to get the last sweeper down and end up late on the gas (first burr of esses).

I echo your comment about rarity too. I've yet to see another GT R on the track. Ironically, mclarens and lambos have been more common.
Ah you attended the day before? The magical 2:00. I have done 1:50 with a car 1/2 the hp of the GT R.

For the GT R being longer wheelbase, we have to stay 1/3 from the left of the sweeper (cw). Start closing in when there is 1/3 left on the sweeper towards the first berm. You can ride on the right berm and left berm (both rather flat) but don't drop a wheel beyond the left berm. Then almost flat out through the esses. Other places to save time are Cotton Corners, Bus stop (coming out esp) and Phil's Hill. I usually instruct at these events. My advice: don't focus on the lap times for now. Study each corner and understand the nuances first. Learn a good line for our type of car. And then only then, fast lap times will come with naturally. Also, as a ref, psi for cup 2 for our cars under last weekend's weather should stay around low 30s HOT.
MBNRG (04-06-2023)
Old 04-07-2023, 02:11 AM

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
2020 AMG GTR
1:50?! That's wild. It's taken me the longest time to trust riding the outside of the sweeper. I started slow and have been gradually increasing my speed into that turn. I think I understand cotton corners a bit better now: sacrifice the first and some of the second turn to set myself of for the hill after. I appreciate all the advice!
LAsunset (04-10-2023)
Old 04-10-2023, 02:34 PM

All good. Ah potential fear of driving out of or dropping two wheels outside the sweeper? Turn your head and keep your eyes far head. Car goes where your eyes go. As you enter the sweeper, your head should turn almost 90deg to the right and your eyes aiming at the exit. Use peripheral vision to drive your car to the left.

DM me next time you plan to go out. Be great to see two GT Rs at the track.
shaladdin (04-14-2023)
Old 04-13-2023, 01:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 623 Likes on 369 Posts
2020 McLaren 720s Spider
Originally Posted by shaladdin
1:50?! That's wild. It's taken me the longest time to trust riding the outside of the sweeper. I started slow and have been gradually increasing my speed into that turn. I think I understand cotton corners a bit better now: sacrifice the first and some of the second turn to set myself of for the hill after. I appreciate all the advice!
I did a Lemons there a couple of years ago - SO much fun! You get to know the track pretty well with the amount of driving. Highlights were making it to the end without crashing or the car dying and of course out braking all the M cars on that last turn and getting to the start/finish before they roared past and I caught em again in that sweeper. HA!

jb123mb (04-17-2023)