Sponsored by:

Debating on GTS vs GTC

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-19-2023, 02:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 C63s
Debating on GTS vs GTC

Hi everyone. I am deciding between a GTS or a GTC. I am coming from a 2016 C63s and while I love that car, I would like a change. The GTS makes similar power to mine, and looks great. The GTC makes 550 which is very enticing. I need to drive both to feel out which would be better and get an idea for size because at 6'3" my head is nearly at the roof in the bucket seats. Another consideration is an M5 comp, which I love because the tunability is amazing and priced reasonably, plus the bimmercode platform is super neat to me. The only drawback is the reliability which I have heard is not the best. Other than that I would consider an E63s because it checks every box except tunability and looks.
Old 05-19-2023, 02:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,938 Likes on 2,629 Posts
2019 C63CS
I haven't driven the GT C, but I've driven the GT S, GT R and GT BS. The GT C is the touring variant of the GT R and said to have the most comfortable ride. The other GT variants are on the firm side, although the GT BS is surprisingly balanced. I've driven them all on the track and they are great track cars, but personally I wouldn't really want one for the public road. The GT S is quite playful. Likes to step its tail out even with ESP on. The GT R and above are at a different level on the track and truly made for it. I have a 2019 C63S coupe and just find it more usable on the public road than any of the GT. It even has the same 9-stage traction control as the GT R and above have, but it has things like 360 camera and full driver assistance system for easier and more relaxed daily and long distance driving. The PFL GTs don't even have forward camera, so be careful parking it with that long low nose. Visibility and the long nose are just not that ideal for normal daily driving. I suppose it depends on what you plan on using it for. I see the GT more like a second or third car and it must see some track time to really be worth it, IMO.

Last edited by superswiss; 05-19-2023 at 02:42 PM.
Old 05-19-2023, 03:06 PM

2016 C63s
My C63s only has a backup camera, so I get the pain on that. I could do without a front cam because I back in pretty much everywhere I park just because of my concern for the front. This car would be my weekend car as I already have a daily. I don't plan on beating on it, just stuff like quick acceleration pulls and something nice to take out on a Saturday night downtown drive. I find it interesting that the GTS likes to get playful tho, should sound like a fun drive. I'm honestly over the 4 door big look on cars so I think that we will narrow it down to the GTC or GTS
Old 05-19-2023, 03:08 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,303 Likes on 2,049 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
The GTC has a wider rear which looks better on the car and rear wheel steering which makes the car more agile. The GTS has been around longer and the earlier models had a firmer ride. They also come as a pre-facelift and facelift model. You may like one over the other.. I find the firmness similar on the same model years (MY18+). The differences between these cars have been discussed quite often, so a search will help but I think much has to budget, options, facelift vs not and the wider body. A simple tune can bump the power of either car easily.

In regards to the F90 M5 Comp. you get a lot of power for the money and the engine is quite reliable (as compared to earlier models). It's a great platform even with the ZF slush box although the facelift (LCI) version has the updated software for better launches. They are quick and very tunable and even in stock form will easily beat a W213 E63s. Running our E63s vs our M8 Comp wasn't a pretty sight... Nothing beats the AMG soundtrack through
The following users liked this post:
California John (05-21-2023)
Old 05-19-2023, 03:09 PM

Received 237 Likes on 158 Posts
GT C >>> GT S: No debate, unless cost is a factor.

The GT line up is invariably a much different/higher performance beast than the C63 and M5, and GT drive train can be upgraded and built as needed to equal/exceed any "dyno numbers" the M5 dyno warriors can muster.

Multiple members daily drive their GT R, so the GT x should not be a problem. Def sage advice for reversing into any parking spot if no fwd facing cam, unless you are ok with getting out to check front lip clearance.
Old 05-19-2023, 03:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Forgot to comment on the height. I'm 5'11" and I'm already all the way back with the seat, which due to the 2 seat configuration then restricts the adjustability of the backrest. I find most 2 seaters uncomfortable because they force me into a compromised driving position due to the lack of space behind the seats. Nobody can sit behind me in my C63, but I can freely adjust my seat. I also have the performance seats and love them. BTW, in the GT the performance seats lack the thigh extension, which I use all the time and have it fully extended. The FL C63 also added ventilation to the performance seats, but you don't have that either so you won't miss it in the GT.

Last edited by superswiss; 05-19-2023 at 03:32 PM.
Old 05-19-2023, 03:35 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by superswiss
Forgot to comment on the height. I'm 5'11" and I'm already all the way back with the seat, which due to the 2 seat configuration then restricts the adjustability of the backrest. I find most 2 seaters uncomfortable because they force me into a less ideal driving position due to the lack of space behind the seats. Nobody can sit behind me in my C63, but I can freely adjust my seat. I also have the performance seats and love them. BTW, in the GT the performance seats lack the thigh extension, which I use all the time and have it fully extended. The FL C63 also added ventilation to the performance seats, but you don't have that either so you won't miss it in GT.
I guess much has to do with the preferred seating position. Am 6'3" and the GTC fits like a glove; seat can actually still go back an inch or so. This is a roadster and the biggest issue here is rear visibility, top up or down. Btw, all GTS/GTC models have seat ventilation unless the dynamica interior is selected...
The following 2 users liked this post by Wolfman:
brutus_tx (05-23-2023), California John (05-21-2023)
Old 05-19-2023, 04:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by Wolfman
I guess much has to do with the preferred seating position. Am 6'3" and the GTC fits like a glove; seat can actually still go back an inch or so. This is a roadster and the biggest issue here is rear visibility, top up or down. Btw, all GTS/GTC models have seat ventilation unless the dynamica interior is selected...
I can definitely find a good seating position for a short kind of drive or on the track where I sit closer to the steering wheel, but I'm known to do 5+ hours grand tours. Longest one I've done was 12 hours in a single day to the canyons above Los Angeles and then back to San Francisco. I've done other such trips in Europe for example during my European Delivery, driving from Switzerland all the way to Copenhagen, 14 hour trip all together with a ferry ride in between and high speed driving through Germany. That's what these cars are about, IMO. GT after all means grand tourer, but ironically it's the most compromised grand tourer AMG offered.
Old 05-20-2023, 11:09 AM

2016 C63s
I got a chance to take a ride in a stock M5c and was not impressed. The AWD just doesnt pull the same as my C63s.
Old 05-20-2023, 12:47 PM

Received 384 Likes on 246 Posts
Originally Posted by superswiss
... GT after all means grand tourer, ...
W-H-A-T ... it _doesn't_ stand for "Go to Track?" #;-))
Old 05-21-2023, 11:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 358 Likes on 204 Posts
2022 AMG SL63
Originally Posted by nardoC63s
Hi everyone. I am deciding between a GTS or a GTC. I am coming from a 2016 C63s and while I love that car, I would like a change. The GTS makes similar power to mine, and looks great. The GTC makes 550 which is very enticing. I need to drive both to feel out which would be better and get an idea for size because at 6'3" my head is nearly at the roof in the bucket seats. Another consideration is an M5 comp, which I love because the tunability is amazing and priced reasonably, plus the bimmercode platform is super neat to me. The only drawback is the reliability which I have heard is not the best. Other than that I would consider an E63s because it checks every box except tunability and looks.
I drove a GTS for two years and then had a GTC for three years. The GTC is better in all respects. A complete no-brainer in my opinion.
jonparks (11-11-2023)
Old 05-21-2023, 05:25 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by nardoC63s
I got a chance to take a ride in a stock M5c and was not impressed. The AWD just doesnt pull the same as my C63s.
Wonder if you had the right drive settings selected. A F90 M5c will absolutely dust a C63…
Skilly (05-21-2023)