Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-30-2023, 03:35 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,400 Likes on 2,845 Posts
2012 CLS63
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 57 GTR
Careful switch-hitter or you will get kicked off again...I also heard your HEADing up a party for the foursome of July at your house..

About hyperion667BiographyNot as fancy as you lads.LocationNorth CarolinaInterestsheavy metal, art, death, radio, botany,small furry creatures and men.
I should be careful you're right, thanx for continuing to show your *** to all on MB World
The following users liked this post:
Orcbolg (07-01-2023)
Old 07-01-2023, 03:26 AM

Received 148 Likes on 115 Posts
2018 Diamond White GT-R
Yea, I am really worried what the forum thinks of me unlike you

Here you are as Seinfeld in this clip.
SEINFELD FANCY BOY PURSE JOE MAYO PARTY FUR COAT - Bing video
Old 07-01-2023, 06:59 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
None
Not sure where the hate is coming from. I’m new here. Long story short I’m sick of Corvettes and Challengers etc. I want something different. I have fallen in love with the GTS but I’ve never ridden in one. I want a fast GTS that will beat all the Hell Cat fan boyz.

Im looking to learn all I can before I pull the trigger on one and start modding it. Turbos exhaust dyno time etc. Fortunately I can do most of the work myself.

On a side note. Any opinions on modding the 4liter V8? Is it a pretty tough engine?
chassis (07-01-2023)
Old 07-01-2023, 07:41 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,936 Likes on 3,099 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by EddieNel
Not sure where the hate is coming from. I’m new here. Long story short I’m sick of Corvettes and Challengers etc. I want something different. I have fallen in love with the GTS but I’ve never ridden in one. I want a fast GTS that will beat all the Hell Cat fan boyz.

Im looking to learn all I can before I pull the trigger on one and start modding it. Turbos exhaust dyno time etc. Fortunately I can do most of the work myself.

On a side note. Any opinions on modding the 4liter V8? Is it a pretty tough engine?
Tuning reports on this site for the 4.0TT seem to be mainly in the C63 and E63 crowd. Basic ECU tune, then exhaust work is the most common. Then injectors, fuel pumps and turbos.

Tough engine? Hard to say. It has been used by MB since the late 2000-teens, so less than 10 years of production history, and low-ish volume during that time. Early build years had chronic misfire which seems to have been solved with coils and software update. Later build years are reporting failed rear main crankshaft oil seal because of failed vapor separators causing crankcase overpressure. No true solution for this yet, other than replacing the separators before they fail, which is reported to happen at less than 100k miles. Seems like an every two year replacement interval would be good, but this is a guess.

So in my view the RMS is a weak link and the separators are problematic, and should be removed if you are going all-out for horsepower.

No reports yet on this engine for bore scoring, chain or valvetrain problems, or piston cracking/wrist pins, etc. All of these items have been reported on recent MB engines.
The following 2 users liked this post by chassis:
EddieNel (07-01-2023), MBNRG (07-02-2023)
Old 07-01-2023, 08:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 700 Likes on 533 Posts
R Nine T
The DCT is the weak link in powertrain. Look to upgrade after tune.
The following 2 users liked this post by AMG 17GT:
chassis (07-01-2023), EddieNel (07-01-2023)
Old 07-01-2023, 10:05 AM

None
I’ll do a little homework but you’re starting to push me to the Supra. I wonder if you can bypass the separator and just do a vent and catch can? Tranny I’ll have to see what a stage 1 would cost. Thank you for the reply’s.
chassis (07-01-2023)
Old 07-01-2023, 02:26 PM

Received 676 Likes on 358 Posts
2020 GTA; 2022 Audi e-tron GT, 2022 Ford F-150; 1926 Rolls-Royce Springfield 40/50 Playboy roadster
Originally Posted by hyperion667
I should be careful you're right, thanx for continuing to show your *** to all on MB World
Now there's some feedback!
The following 4 users liked this post by MalibuScott:
AMG 17GT (07-01-2023), JSwan724 (07-01-2023), Orcbolg (07-01-2023), sevenhead (07-02-2023)
Old 07-01-2023, 06:54 PM

Received 236 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by chassis
Tough engine? Hard to say.

Additional data on Engine Durability:

AMG Affalterbach's dyno cell ran the GT's M177/178 Engine at Full Redline, Non-Stop, for 5 Months without destruction
(https://mbworld.org/forums/coupe-roa...ml#post7720013)

Above was from 2016, too.

I recall another online auto publication also noting the same as above.

Old 07-01-2023, 10:07 PM

None
Originally Posted by MBNRG
Additional data on Engine Durability:

AMG Affalterbach's dyno cell ran the GT's M177/178 Engine at Full Redline, Non-Stop, for 5 Months without destruction
(https://mbworld.org/forums/coupe-roa...ml#post7720013)

Above was from 2016, too.

I recall another online auto publication also noting the same as above.
Well you son of a *****!joking!!!! I was started g to sway towards the Supra now I’m back in the middle looking at the GTS. Thank you so much for sharing or maybe not for sharing!!!lol. I do love the looks of the GTS but it’s definitely more expensive in every aspect. No comparison in the WOW factor. Speed? Ehhh?
Old 07-02-2023, 12:38 AM

Received 236 Likes on 158 Posts
Well you son of a *****!joking!!!! I was started g to sway towards the Supra now I’m back in the middle looking at the GTS. Thank you so much for sharing or maybe not for sharing!!!lol. I do love the looks of the GTS but it’s definitely more expensive in every aspect. No comparison in the WOW factor. Speed? Ehhh?
;P

My humble perspective: the GT x lineup's Achilles' Heel:

1. Getrag/Magna 7DCL750DCT that is also shared across multiple Ferrari and Ford GT models. Recommend looking for as late a model year as wallet allows, and ensure any Trans Recalls (Oil Leak issue on the 2016 (?maybe other years), CF Driveshaft Issue)) have been addressed by Mercedes. A good 3rd Party Extended Warranty, or at least an Extended Drive Train Warranty, are very prudent investments.

Trans issues can be mitigated by observing Fluid Change Intervals, and perhaps some Trans re-building at Year 8-10+ with replacement of the original seals, etc.
Reports of the Trans Speed Sensor failing causing Trans to become inoperative are cropping up (see other Forum Threads on this topic).
I believe Mercedes has likely further upgraded/optimized this Getrag/Magna DCT Trans over its years of service across the GT lineup, hence the later model recommendation.

Members who have significantly increased HP/TQ above factory, have used Dodson clutches to further build the Trans to hold the power. (Stock Trans reportedly can handle max ~750 Nm)

Further reading on Trans, potential issues and fixes as below:
https://mbworld.org/forums/coupe-roa...ir-manual.html

2. Exhaust Module/Exhaust Valve Failure
If vehicle you're looking at features Valved Exhaust, either the Module can fail, or the Valve(s) can stick.
Either of these conditions can cause a Limp Mode and severely knee-cap vehicle.
Fixes:
Prophylaxis: Can install an Aftermarket EVM controller to allow "Always Open" valve function.
Another remedy is to mechanically fix the Valves in Open position.
Other members have identified the OEM MB Module with Part # for replacement, if module has failed.

Good luck on your search!
I can def empathize: I was absolutely seduced by the debut of the GT R in Green Hell Magno revealed in 2016 at the L.A. Auto Show.
In 2021, the right one came along after a 6 month search/courtship, and I was able to bring her home.
Honey moon ever since.

Last edited by MBNRG; 07-02-2023 at 02:28 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by MBNRG:
chassis (07-02-2023), EddieNel (07-02-2023), GTConn (07-02-2023)
Old 07-02-2023, 10:01 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,512 Likes on 2,136 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Completely different car though, Supra has a six after all, you could also consider the C 63 S V8 for cheaper than the GTS but I am not surprised you like the GTS. I remember there was a youtuber, which channel name goes by AMGentics or something went from C 63 S (or was it C 43?) to AMG GTS, you could watch his videos telling you their experience with the transition and any general maintenance needed.
EddieNel (07-02-2023)
Old 07-02-2023, 10:04 AM
Out Of Control!!

;P

1. DCT that is also shared across multiple Ferrari and Ford GT models. Recommend looking for as late a model year as wallet allows, and ensure any Trans Recalls (Oil Leak issue on the 2016 (?maybe other years), CF Driveshaft Issue)) have been addressed by Mercedes. A good 3rd Party Extended Warranty, or at least an Extended Drive Train Warranty, are very prudent investments.

Trans issues can be mitigated by observing Fluid Change Intervals, and perhaps some Trans re-building at Year 8-10+ with replacement of the original seals, etc.
Reports of the Trans Speed Sensor failing causing Trans to become inoperative are cropping up (see other Forum Threads on this topic).
I believe Mercedes has likely further upgraded/optimized this Getrag/Magna DCT Trans over its years of service across the GT lineup, hence the later model recommendation.

Members who have significantly increased HP/TQ above factory, have used Dodson clutches to further build the Trans to hold the power. (Stock Trans reportedly can handle max ~750 Nm)

Further reading on Trans, potential issues and fixes as below:
https://mbworld.org/forums/coupe-roa...ir-manual.html

2. Exhaust Module/Exhaust Valve Failure
If vehicle you're looking at features Valved Exhaust, either the Module can fail, or the Valve(s) can stick.
Either of these conditions can cause a Limp Mode and severely knee-cap vehicle.
Fixes:
Prophylaxis: Can install an Aftermarket EVM controller to allow "Always Open" valve function.
Another remedy is to mechanically fix the Valves in Open position.
Other members have identified the OEM MB Module with Part # for replacement, if module has failed.

Good luck on your search!
I can def empathize: I was absolutely seduced by the debut of the GT R in Green Hell Magno revealed in 2016 at the L.A. Auto Show.
In 2021, the right one came along after a 6 month search/courtship, and I was able to bring her home.
Honey moon ever since.
To forum member EddieNel, the tramsission used is a Getrag 7DCL750 double clutch Transmission according to the forum member of another thread, it is widely used in many different vehicles but of course AMG has their own tuning on it.
That thread is here, you could read more on this transmission problem/issue here: https://mbworld.org/forums/coupe-roa...ispreloading=1
EddieNel (07-02-2023)
Old 07-02-2023, 11:09 AM

Received 101 Likes on 67 Posts
2019 AMG GTC Solar Beam Yellow
@MBNRG As someone who has the GTC Roadster at the top of my list for my next vehicle...I really appreciate this post. Great info here.
The following 2 users liked this post by GTConn:
EddieNel (07-02-2023), MBNRG (07-02-2023)
Old 07-02-2023, 11:38 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,936 Likes on 3,099 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC

DCT
Agree. MB's DCT and Porsche's PDK are not impressive to me given the likelihood, expense and not-really-DIYable repairs.

In any sports car I would look for a manual transmission or an autobox, preferably from ZF. The GTx family doesn't have a manual transmission variant to my knowledge.
EddieNel (07-02-2023)
Old 07-02-2023, 12:24 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by chassis
Agree. MB's DCT and Porsche's PDK are not impressive to me given the likelihood, expense and not-really-DIYable repairs.

In any sports car I would look for a manual transmission or an autobox, preferably from ZF. The GTx family doesn't have a manual transmission variant to my knowledge.
Well, I mean... AMG didn't have a manual for a while (or even never?) They would had laughed when you mention manual to them, I think?

I guess the reason being AMG is still based on MB and (they think?) that MB customers aren't as enthusiast driver as BMW (for example...) and don't want to shift their own gears, maybe? Although I could be completely wrong with that assumption.
The following 2 users liked this post by W205C43PFL:
EddieNel (07-02-2023), sevenhead (07-03-2023)
Old 07-02-2023, 03:20 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
Completely different car though, Supra has a six after all, you could also consider the C 63 S V8 for cheaper than the GTS but I am not surprised you like the GTS. I remember there was a youtuber, which channel name goes by AMGentics or something went from C 63 S (or was it C 43?) to AMG GTS, you could watch his videos telling you their experience with the transition and any general maintenance needed.
Okay so it was a C 43 to AMG GTS, there is another channel called yaboibakalli which had a C 63 S but went to CLA 45 instead.